The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 05-14-2019, 03:10 PM
Slammaster

Pronouns: He, etc.

Poe's Law is preventing me from being able to craft a response to that.
Old 05-14-2019, 03:22 PM
Vigilante All-Star

Pronouns: He / Him

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShakeWell View Post
Poe's Law is preventing me from being able to craft a response to that.
Didn't you film one?
Old 05-15-2019, 10:09 AM
I hunt Mondays.

Pronouns: He/Him/His

I've been thinking about this for years, but I would really love to learn how to read and comprehend Japanese. There's plenty of games I'd love to play that have a language barrier, and I know that not everything will get fan translated.

Any advice for learning the language would be greatly appreciated.
Old 05-15-2019, 12:55 PM
Slammaster

Pronouns: He, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riot.EXE View Post
Didn't you film one?
Kinda, yeah.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetManMas View Post
I've been thinking about this for years, but I would really love to learn how to read and comprehend Japanese. There's plenty of games I'd love to play that have a language barrier, and I know that not everything will get fan translated.

It's very hard, so the biggest things I can offer are: be prepared to study a lot and keep using it. I took six semesters of Japanese in college. I was conversationally fluent (which is a lot different than being completely literate, reading Japanese is extremely difficult, and the average Japanese newspaper is written at what's considered a 12th grade level). Now, with no one to speak it with for years, I can read kana, a handful of kanji, and basically ask for directions and order food.

It's very rewarding, but you really have to stick with it.
Old 05-15-2019, 03:43 PM
The Great

I've been keeping an eye on Druidstone, the Grimrock devs' next game, but somehow completely missed the release date announcement. It's out today. Exciting!

It's a tabletop inspired turn-based tactics game, apparently with Grimrockian puzzles between combat missions. One of the characters appears to be a tonberry. I will play this video game!
Old 05-19-2019, 10:36 AM
Chief Servbot

Pronouns: He/Him
Default M2 Documentary is out

Old 05-19-2019, 05:04 PM
King Of Space-Time

Hey, anyone have a lead on repair service for a GameBoy color?
Old 05-20-2019, 03:55 PM
Are You Sure About That?

The Yiik dumpster fire continues: Dev apparently plagiarized the hell out of Haruki Murakami, when called on it whines that he also pulled quotes from several other authors as well and nobody complained.
Old 05-20-2019, 04:03 PM
I hunt Mondays.

I'm so glad I didn't give this idiot my money.
Old 05-20-2019, 05:20 PM
Child of the Sun and Sky

Quote:

Here is Draculas old thread with some advice: https://www.talking-time.net/showthread.php?t=18917
Old 05-21-2019, 07:58 AM
ドラキュラの様な奴

Pronouns: He/Him

To add onto whatever is in that thread, I really can't stress how important it is to have Japanese reading/listening material around all the time. The language is so fundamentally different from the Latin-based languages that you've got to immerse yourself in it. Look for Japanese YouTube channels that deal with material you're interested in, so you can hear language that's more conversational and everyday (as opposed to the typically over-dramatic material that's in game dialog). I'm really fond of Bakken's Retro Game Channel and Wotafa's Secret Base. Game manuals often have furigana, so they can serve as good practice-reading material.
Old 05-23-2019, 11:45 AM
of the Black Falcons

Pronouns: he, him

From the Marvel Ultimate Alliance thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizzarino Sbarro View Post
Also, now I am 30 and sickened by ever-increasing numbers, such as can be found in RPGs. 😤
Man, I feel like this about so many new game trailers. Not specifically that I dislike numbers going up, but just that so many new games look bland. And a lot of them have great art and themes and design, but then I see the gameplay and it's nearly identical to games I played 15+ years ago.

Part of it is just that I'm getting older. Also, I think that being so focused on Dark Souls for almost 10 years really shortened my patience for games that have less compelling gameplay cycles. And finally, in the last 5 years I've started playing a bunch of Tabletop RPGs that are more interesting than videogames from a story perspective, and have interesting mechanics too.

I'm still very into little bite-sized games, and I find some longer stuff that I like. But, so many games are not doing anything interesting with gameplay, and they're extremely padded out. Why the hell would I want to spend 10+ hours playing through repetitive action that isn't challenging me in any interesting way?

And I don't mean to say that modern games are worse as a whole, I think I just lost my tolerance for videogames that don't respect my time and engage me throughout. I'm much more critical of stuff I'm thinking about picking up, and I'm a lot more likely to drop something if it isn't impressing me.
Old 05-23-2019, 12:18 PM
hang high, soft star

This probably belongs in another thread but this one is the one that gets read a whole bunch.

Telltale games to go off sale on Steam and GOG on the 27th. https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...-gog-next-week
Old 05-23-2019, 12:56 PM
I hunt Mondays.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
Man, I feel like this about so many new game trailers. Not specifically that I dislike numbers going up, but just that so many new games look bland. And a lot of them have great art and themes and design, but then I see the gameplay and it's nearly identical to games I played 15+ years ago.
Great art mixed with bland gameplay is how I see a lot of mobile games I've regularly seen ads for.

"That dragon game has a cool look, but you just move one thing into another samey thing to make a bigger thing? Bo-oring!"

"Oh wow, the character moving around onscreen changed into another character after grabbing some Bafmodads. Again. Yippe."

"What is it about STARS I don't care about STARS how about making a game where things aren't ranked by STARS I fucking hate STARS"

"Oh boy, another ad for Cultural Appropriation Slot Machine Featuring Sexy Feather Headdress Lady. For the love of...it's 20-frickin-19, show some goddamn respect for your portrayals of Native Americans already."

"Another unofficial Mario/Pokémon app straight up stealing official assets and not calling itself Mario or Pokémon, that's STUPID ENOUGH to advertise itself in a video. CAD coming in 5, 4, 3, 2..."

"Machine Zone's on their shit again."

"Because that's how we catch the whales."

"Candy Crush...or an approximation of. I don't care if that bear game has a grown man advertising it, I know whose money Toon Blast is really after with that friendly bear who wants your mommy's credit card number."
Old 05-24-2019, 06:10 AM
Metaphysical organ dealer

Pronouns: He/him

Quote:
"That dragon game has a cool look, but you just move one thing into another samey thing to make a bigger thing? Bo-oring!"
I actually like firing this one up occasionally when I need a nice low-energy game. Just a nice, slow bit of optimization that's easy to pick up and put down whenever. And the levels with time limits can be pretty hard.

Quote:

"Because that's how we catch the whales."
Also, if the ad says it's hard people feel smarter if they don't suck at it. What really gets me about this is that I would at least try out the game being shown here where you are presented with a terrible situation and have to figure out how to use your given tools to fix it, but that's never what the advertised game is actually about. This particular style of ad just straight up shows a different game than what it's supposedly advertising, which is always some variant of match 3 (some of which I've played before, which is how I noticed this) or Farmville.

I keep getting Coin Master ads that basically just make out their entire userbase to be petty assholes. Real attractive advertising.
Old 05-24-2019, 06:24 AM
World of Darkness Returns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
[...] I think that being so focused on Dark Souls for almost 10 years really shortened my patience for games that have less compelling gameplay cycles.
[...] I just lost my tolerance for videogames that don't respect my time
It's funny that you mention both because the amount of time Dark Souls wastes when you die is why I quit playing them.
Old 05-24-2019, 10:08 AM
I hunt Mondays.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
I actually like firing this one up occasionally when I need a nice low-energy game. Just a nice, slow bit of optimization that's easy to pick up and put down whenever. And the levels with time limits can be pretty hard.
Oh I'm sure it would be a fun mobile game if I get into it. It's just that I see those cool aesthetics and then see the combining two things and I start wishing those visuals were on a less mundane looking gameplay experience.

Quote:
Also, if the ad says it's hard people feel smarter if they don't suck at it. What really gets me about this is that I would at least try out the game being shown here where you are presented with a terrible situation and have to figure out how to use your given tools to fix it, but that's never what the advertised game is actually about. This particular style of ad just straight up shows a different game than what it's supposedly advertising, which is always some variant of match 3 (some of which I've played before, which is how I noticed this) or Farmville.
Machine Zone pulls something similar. Their games are city-building/protecting sim type deals but the playable ad presents them as a bland tower defense type deal.
Old 05-24-2019, 10:23 PM
I hunt Mondays.

It was a daily challenge, but I still felt pretty bad about killing this black bear in Red Dead Online. Video game bears usually either start it or fight back! I'm not used to them running in terror from me!

Also used this video to test out the video editing functions of SHAREfactory; replaced the skinning with something more...pleasant.
Old 05-25-2019, 09:58 PM
I hunt Mondays.

"I came, I saw, I got blowed up." Ernest P. Worrell
Old Yesterday, 09:36 PM
Ancient Nameless Hero

Well, it's only taken *checks notes* nineteen years, but I finally feel like I have enough of a grasp on Vagrant Story to be able to make real headway.
Old Yesterday, 11:50 PM

I’m playing Ace Attorney 6 and I love this game so much. But oh my lord the localization/white washing is driving me up the walls. At one point, Maya starts day dreaming about eating Ramen again, and Phoenix is like, “Let’s put a hamburger in the ramen for the best of both worlds!” And I just about flung my 3DS into the wall.
Old Today, 12:10 AM
I Cuss You Bad

Orchestral Fantasy are one of my favourite things on YouTube

Old Today, 05:58 AM
Banjo Kathoey

Pronouns: She/Her or They/Them

Finally found one of these fuckers while I was out thrifting. Now my hacked Wii finally feels complete.

Tags
all the games , news , not worth its own thread , sega bass fishing , snippets , thread shortage