The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about books

Old 05-15-2019, 12:51 PM
Funko Superfan

Pronouns: He/Him

Swordspoint, queer sword-dueling fantasy with no magic or dragons. It's kinda excellent.
Old 05-15-2019, 01:12 PM
Born in the USA

Pronouns: he/him

How is it fantasy if there's no magic or dragons
Old 05-17-2019, 02:30 PM
The metal babble flees!

Pronouns: she/her or they/them

'cause it was marketed that way! It's set in a secondary world, so maybe that's why.
Old 05-19-2019, 09:32 AM

The Life of Elizabeth I by Alison Weir. I absolutely loved her book on the Six Wives of Henry VIII. Hopefully, I'll get the same reaction from this
Old 05-19-2019, 01:46 PM
Evocative

I am reading The Best of R.A. Lafferty for a book review that's due in a few weeks. It's good, but I already knew that!

Also reading The Binding by Bridget Collins for another review and about to start The Iron Dragon's Mother by Michael Swanwick for a third review.

Oh and then there's a fourth book I may or may not review. I should probably get writing.
Old 05-19-2019, 07:40 PM
Trinitron Enthusiast

I'm a fan of the film Day of the Jackal so I figured I ought to read something else written by the author whose book that movie was based on. So on a whim I started reading Frederick Forsythe's The Odessa File. I had zero knowledge of what this was about going into it so now that I'm up to my hips in a story about hunting Nazi fugitives in the 1960s I'm certainly getting more than I bargained for!
Old 05-19-2019, 11:38 PM
Shill for Big Cow DNA

Pronouns: She

I finally got around to reading The Good Earth, one of the classics I've always meant to read. Very good but so depressing.
Old 05-20-2019, 09:53 AM
actually an eevee

Pronouns: she/her

I'd like to revisit that book, since I first read it in junior high with no cultural context, but I'm also kinda afraid to.
Old 05-20-2019, 08:45 PM
oh my car

I was following random Wikipedia links and ended up pulling The Prisoner of Zenda by Anthony Hope (1894) off Project Gutenberg and plowing through it. An exciting and indulgent little thriller, I can see why it spawned an entire fad subgenre of romantic adventures in fictional countries.
Old 05-21-2019, 05:00 AM
Mystery Contraption

Pronouns: He

Wanted to re-read Good Omens before the show started. So I did!

Itís been long enough since the last time I read it that I forgot just about everything that happened in it, so Iím not even sure if I can really count this as a re-read.
Old 05-21-2019, 10:47 AM
We just don't know.

Polished off The Fifth Season and dived right into The Obelisk Gate. I don't know if you all have heard of this little unknown series but it is.............good, actually
Old 05-21-2019, 11:13 AM
till the sheriff stops by

Finished Snow Crash and after so much build up... its fine? I mean, there's little story in the middle and its really just a lot of exposition about the nature of language and religion and culture and how the brain can get rewired and it is interesting stuff but it certainly is also, despite being important to the narrative, feels like a big digression from the narrative. The beginning and ending are pretty action packed and dynamic in ways I don't expect from a novel and that's fun. It also ends pretty suddenly without an epilogue. I can see why it is so beloved (and there's something to be said for a short goodbye), but I wasn't really over the moon for it. Fun read, though, and surprisingly captures the sexist nature of tech bros (though that's mostly covered in a couple pages. It is covered well, though).

Am about to start John Hodgman's Vacationland.
Old 05-21-2019, 11:16 AM
of the Black Falcons

Pronouns: he, him

I really enjoyed Vacationland.

I just finished Joe Abercrombie's Sharp Ends.
Old 05-21-2019, 12:41 PM
Are You Sure About That?

Pronouns: He/Him/His

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Unusual View Post
Finished Snow Crash and after so much build up... its fine? I mean, there's little story in the middle and its really just a lot of exposition about the nature of language and religion and culture and how the brain can get rewired and it is interesting stuff but it certainly is also, despite being important to the narrative, feels like a big digression from the narrative. The beginning and ending are pretty action packed and dynamic in ways I don't expect from a novel and that's fun. It also ends pretty suddenly without an epilogue. I can see why it is so beloved (and there's something to be said for a short goodbye), but I wasn't really over the moon for it. Fun read, though, and surprisingly captures the sexist nature of tech bros (though that's mostly covered in a couple pages. It is covered well, though).
I liked Snow Crash well enough, but then Stephenson spent the next twenty years writing the same novel over and over again in more fulsome detail and with switches in genre.
Old 05-21-2019, 03:14 PM
We just don't know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Unusual View Post
I mean, there's little story in the middle and its really just a lot of exposition about the nature of language and religion and culture and how the brain can get rewired and it is interesting stuff but it certainly is also, despite being important to the narrative, feels like a big digression from the narrative.
Hooboy if that bothered you do not read more Stephenson novels
Old 05-21-2019, 03:22 PM
Mystery Contraption

Maybe The Rise and Fall of DODO, he had a collaborator with that one and she really helps curtail his... err... tendencies. Which the blurb on the back cover even applauds the book for.

Snow Crash I loved when it was being a fast paced and fun sci-fi thriller that doesn't shy away from being out-right jokey at any given moment, but when Neal decides to slam the brakes on that and bring out chapter-after-chapter of Religion/Language as a Metaphor for a Vaccine from Alien Germ-Weapons, WHUFF.

Turns out you can either be bonkers, or fun. But Both is a tall order.
Old 05-22-2019, 03:23 AM
Dinger!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul le Fou View Post
Polished off The Fifth Season and dived right into The Obelisk Gate. I don't know if you all have heard of this little unknown series but it is.............good, actually
Preach.
Old Yesterday, 05:26 AM
Mystery Contraption

Going to make an earnest effort of reading through Lord of the Rings at long last.

Evaluation so far; this is slllllooooooowwwww and Tolkien is not nearly as gifted a lyricist as he seems to think he is, but I do legitimately like the fact that Hobbits are so preternaturally chill that the One Ring just canít find anything to latch on to to make them a servant of evil.
Old Yesterday, 07:23 AM

Dangerous Liaisons by Pierre de Laclos. It's been a while since I've read a classic novel.

Tags
books , calorie mate reads this , fear of new threads , octo does not do research , reading time , take a look its in a book