The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about TV and film

Old 04-26-2019, 11:08 PM
King Of Space-Time

Finally saw Shazam!

SO GOOD.

Oof. Poor Billy Penn took it on the chin though... Also why is all the SEPTA stuff still called SEPTA but with a completely different color scheme and logo?

Waitasec... Oh good lord. Tawky's mug is on the cape clasps.

Last edited by Daikaiju; 04-26-2019 at 11:20 PM.
Old 04-27-2019, 01:11 PM
Child of the Sun and Sky

Finally watched Shazam. Loved it. Partly for tonal reasons that I couldn't quite categorise, but this post basically made me understand it:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rascally Badger View Post
Honestly, it feels a little like if 80's Amblin made a superhero movie. Like a superhero version of Gremlins.
I would rather compare it tonally to Bill & Ted, but it felt in some ways like an 80s movie. Found it really touching in places. The part that got me the most was with the mother (That Billys memory of her was through his lens, and that she was in reality just tired and scared while trying to win something, instead of warm and loving.).

I'm not sure what of the rest would be a spoiler, so I'll just use one for the whole post. Shouldn't be anything major in there, but just in case.

The foster family was great and sweet. All the kids were so nice, even though a few seemed a bit set up for conflict. But no, they are all really good kids. Favourite was probably the little girl, who is one of the most adorable kids I have ever seen in a movie. I generally find them annoying. Wished we had seen a bit more of the parents, though. I would have generally liked to see more of the family life, but I understand that the movie doesn't have that much time, and it worked perfectly fine here the way it was.

One thing I really liked about the movie was that it presented family not as a bunch of people who you have to accept and love, just because you are born into it. No, family is made up of people you choose. The foster parents make this clear: You can take your time, we will not give up on you just because you are difficult, you don't have to be part of our family emotionally, but we are here for you if you are ready.

This is a big point for me, because most times family is presented as something you are born into and that you have to accept to be happy. While I loved Coco, that was the one part about it that irritated me. That blood relationships are that all-important thing. And while it absolutely can be, you still have a choice to accept the family you are born into. Or, if they are horrible, you can find a different family.

Directly after the movie I felt it was unfair to Sivana. He had a horrible family, and for that reason became a monster. But he also never tried to find other people he could relate to, because all he could think of was this power. I still think he didn't have the chance for a family that Billy got (which is sort of horrible, because Billys chance is only based on the fact that his mother abandoned him, but at least he finally got people who cared for him), but it seems clear that he sacrifised everything for his search.

I knew basically nothing about Shazam before the movie, so I have no idea if it is a thing that all siblings have superpowers, but I really liked that it isn't just this one superhero who is tasked with saving the world alone. It's a trope that I get increasingly more uncomfortable with. Our culture is full of stories that have that single hero, or maybe a hero with his one sidekick. Or you have a group of people that are forced to work together, because destiny or something. And this creates the longing for the Strong Man, who will save is in times of crisis. But these are people who chose to work together and help each other. The power of Shazam can be shared, everyone can become a hero and help save the world.

Compare this to Sivana and Greed. He lost, because Sivanas chosen family was a bunch of powerhungry monsters who used each other. There was no trust, and Greeds/Sivanas lonelyness was their downfall.

Also very funny, in a different way than most superhero movies. It didn't take itself particularly serious, but felt more dorky in a way. Probably because Shazam, the guy, didn't take himself that serious either.
Old 04-29-2019, 01:16 PM
SEARING RED GAZE

Pronouns: DUDE/BRO

Finally saw Shazam this weekend and I thought it FUCKIN RULED.

I am so overjoyed that the last two DC movies I've seen have just gone ALL FUCKING IN on being goofy and weird.
Old 04-29-2019, 01:36 PM
SEARING RED GAZE

Pronouns: DUDE/BRO
Default I'LL PROBABLY COME BACK IN HERE AND WRITE A MORE SUBSTANTIAL POST EVENTUALLY.

Shazam, like Aquaman, felt like a movie that was legit EXCITED to be based on a comic book. Overjoyed by the very fact of its existence and unafraid to let its freak flag fly.

I also love how the CINEMATIC UNIVERSE WORLDBUILDING that was a shackle around the neck of Man of Steel and Batman V Superman has been more or less completely thrown out in favor of just throwing whatever the fuck they want into the mix because man wouldn't that be fun to do in this movie that you're watching RIGHT NOW. Fuck yeah the earth is hollow and has dinosuars in it! Of course Chuluthu exists, and is more than happy to be your best friend if you ask nicely! Sure we can do a society of magic guys who can turn literally anyone into electric superman! And why the hell wouldn't those those electric supermen have Normal Superman on their speed dial?

The movie was a fucking delight, and I was fucking delighted.

Last edited by BEAT; 04-29-2019 at 01:37 PM. Reason: BASICALLY I THOUGHT THE MOVIE WAS A TON OF FUN AND ALSO IT HAD A GREAT MESSAGE AND WAS JUST DELIGHTFUL IN GENERAL.
Old 04-30-2019, 07:15 AM
Metaphysical organ dealer

Pronouns: He/him

I just watched Aquaman and really liked it and now I want to see Shazam even more.
Old 05-06-2019, 10:42 AM

If DCU goes belly-up, at least we'll have gotten this:

God bless this mess. I kinda can't believe how good Titans and Doom Patrol have been. They have no right.

Tags
*wonder woman riff* , badman v. subparman , batman very superman , chortle at joker's boner , comics , detective comics , dreary crap , for you , fourth world problems , fuck batman , ice to see you , like batman but , swear to me , tales from the krypton , waiting for gadot , why did you say that name