The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about TV and film

Old 10-09-2017, 04:02 AM
I. Love. It.

I'm still not sure how I feel about this show, and I fear I won't be able to say for certain until it's all over, since the point I'm still kind of hung up on is whether or not the show is going to side for or against Lorca.

Lorca is basically the antithesis of Star Trek as we're used to it, and while deconstruction is fine I don't think the show has earned it, especially with the franchise being off the air for so long. To jump right in with a show that turns the morality and ideology of Star Trek on its head is a risky move, and I'm not yet sure it will be able to live up to it. If at the end the moral of the series is 'Lorca is right' then that would be disappointing at best and disgraceful at worst, but if the show ultimately turns on Lorca's current methods, well, there's still a lot of legwork to get to that point. We'll see.

One potential ending I've been playing with, we discover that something or other is wrong with/threatening the Klingons, and the Discovery is in a position to save them, with science. Lorca wants to destroy them to 'end the war at all costs', and Burnham wants to try for peace in a reversal of how she began the series. Ultimately, mirroring the first episode, she's forced to mutiny and take command of the Discovery, but this time with the crew behind her, Saru sticks up for her first.

But anyway. As for this episode, yeah, dumb security officer's death felt gratuitous, but that's a character I'm not going to miss. I got a chuckle out of Lorca's "don't let her death be in vain". Asshole, she got her dumb ass killed following your orders, which were also dumb to begin with. This is a ship full of dumb people!

And, yes, learning exactly how meticulously the Klingons ate the remains of Georgiou was gross and unnecessary. Ew.

EDIT: Speaking of unnecessary, why on earth did Burnham need to antagonize Saru like that? She could have not led him to the lab on the pretext of apology, he probably would have come down anyway. Or, she could have apologized, and then followed up with 'by the way I was wondering if you could help me with something...'. All she needed was for him to stand near the cage, there was no need to be a jerk about it and lead him on with a seemingly fake apology.
Old 10-09-2017, 10:21 AM

I’m really interested in what will happen with both Vokk and Lorca as the series progresses. Right now Vokk is feeling like the less villainous of the two!
Old 10-09-2017, 07:17 PM
Not a Beer

I just love that the indestructible creature turned out to be a big ol' water-bear. I mean, those things are kind of terrifying.
Old 10-09-2017, 08:40 PM
one zero zero one SOS

I actually thought that was a solid hour. I enjoyed the science bits, the political maneuvering, and the interplay between the crew. Honestly, it was pretty good all around.

...except for the bit with Landry, which was just so absurd that I just wonder about the whole production. Surely the end they were trying to achieve with this segment could have been reached in a more sensible way? Or at least a way that doesn't make characters behave with such immersion-killing stupidity.
Old 10-10-2017, 12:33 AM
who's she

I really liked this episode of the Incomparable podcast comparing the first and last episodes of TNG. One bit that really resonated for me was their discussion of Patrick Stewart's acting in the final scene, and how perfectly understated it is.
Old 10-10-2017, 07:37 AM
120 Days

Wow. I’m severely into Disc. Stamets is my MVP
Old 10-11-2017, 04:14 PM
Your life is forfeit

"Little Green Men": Aw, what a fun little episode. And now when people complain about how first Ferengi contact in ENT broke continuity by putting humans in touch with Ferengi too early I can just shake my head at them.
Old 10-11-2017, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parish View Post
And now when people complain about how first Ferengi contact in ENT broke continuity by putting humans in touch with Ferengi too early I can just shake my head at them.
Something something records lost in WWIII
Old 10-11-2017, 09:14 PM
Remembers Love

I like the idea of the pre-Section 31 Deep State parts of the United Earth collating information on the greater galaxy based on pre-warp contact with time travelers. Apparently extraterrestrial intelligences' goals are - A)Profit and Acquisition, B) total assimilation of sapients into a hive mind, and C) saving the whales.
Old 10-11-2017, 09:28 PM
An Animal of Joy

Don't forget D) battling silicon valley executives.
Old 10-11-2017, 09:48 PM
Remembers Love

Man, I'm just thinking about what the new Trek series would be like if it didn't come during such a benighted time. Instead of torturing an up-jumped Water Bear to plot transwarp space-folds, maybe we could have finally gotten to meet the Dolphin members of the crew.
Old 10-12-2017, 01:09 PM
Your life is forfeit

"Sword of Kahless": I really like that Kor, a minor character from the original series, became a recurring character on DS9 (with the original actor, I think?). This episode was pretty much a Lord of the Rings sendup, with the sword in the title having an insidious corrupting effect similar to that of the One Ring, and I really enjoyed it despite its shameless nature.
Old 10-12-2017, 08:51 PM
Safe Space

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parish View Post
This episode was pretty much a Lord of the Rings sendup, with the sword in the title having an insidious corrupting effect similar to that of the One Ring, and I really enjoyed it despite its shameless nature.
Errr not really? It wasn't a magical corrupting artifact (or, since we're talking Star Trek, a science-y corrupting artifact). It was what the sword represented to Klingons that encouraged such dishonourable actions, not the sword itself. It's the Holy Grail, not the One Ring.
Old 10-12-2017, 11:20 PM
An Animal of Joy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peach View Post
Man, I'm just thinking about what the new Trek series would be like if it didn't come during such a benighted time. Instead of torturing an up-jumped Water Bear to plot transwarp space-folds, maybe we could have finally gotten to meet the Dolphin members of the crew.
Yeah, I was just rewatching episodes 3 and 4 with a friend this afternoon. I hope Landry's penultimate act of stupidity is forgotten (her nickname for the new crewmember) and that Michael quickly finds out how to talk to it. I also realized that while the trick Michael played on Saru was probably unnecessary, it did reveal that Saru does not like or respect Lorca. The way Lorca played the colony distress call as a shipwide hail was mortifying, and what's also fucked up is that they didn't stay to render aid to the colony even though the next ship was almost 3 days distant.

The show's good, and it has a tendency to show things that don't make sense and then make good on them in time. Rewatching has been fun because a few scenes make more sense once you have a little additional knowledge. I fully expect we'll learn exactly how Capt. Georgiou's telescope was recovered any time now, haha.
Old 10-13-2017, 07:51 AM
Your life is forfeit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Büge View Post
Errr not really? It wasn't a magical corrupting artifact (or, since we're talking Star Trek, a science-y corrupting artifact). It was what the sword represented to Klingons that encouraged such dishonourable actions, not the sword itself. It's the Holy Grail, not the One Ring.
Thank you for this extremely literal reading. These two MacGuffins that inspire a quest and force the heroes to come to terms with their own flaws and ambitions are, indeed, nothing alike whatsoever.
Old 10-13-2017, 02:47 PM
Your life is forfeit

"Our Man Bashir": OK, we went immediately from a Lord of the Rings-inflected episode to one riffing on James Bond. I loved Garak steadily becoming more and more unhinged as he came to realize he had inserted himself into a situation over which he had zero control, and Bashir using Garak's pragmatic speech as the text of his fake heel turn. Also, Sisko/Avery Brooks makes such a good villain.
Old 10-15-2017, 06:00 AM
Just bear with me

Did you ever review Blood Oath, from season two? Takes a while to get started but a guilty pleasure of mine for the guest stars.
Old 10-15-2017, 01:02 PM
Your life is forfeit

I don't think I started doing these Twitter-sized recaps until after that, sorry.

"Homefront": Oh, now I see why DS9 was unpopular back in the day. It was a post-9/11 sci-fi series produced a few years before 9/11. This episode raised a lot of questions about terrorism, security, and justified preventative measures, and it's interesting that (at least going into the second part) Sisko in particular weighs in as an advocate of a "security at any cost" approach that the past 15 years of U.S. history have proven to be a terrible, costly mistake. It also speaks highly of the threat the show runners created in the Changelings that we only see the non-Odo Changeling for a single brief scene, yet the prospect of its presence weighs heavily over every scene; even before Sisko bugged out about his father, I was watching every single character for hints that one of them might have been a shape-shifter.

It is, however, really goddamn distracting to have the actress who played Leah Brahms here as a different character. Usually when Trek recycles talent they cast them as a different race (e.g. James Cromwell and Jeffrey Combs), so having Susan Gibney play two different (but not that different) humans feels weird. Oh well, minor quibble that someone not marching steadily through the Trek catalog probably wouldn't notice. A good episode that provides a welcome escalation after a few lightweight "breather" stories.
Old 10-15-2017, 07:12 PM
I. Love. It.

Well. Wasn't exactly expecting not one but two F-Bombs to be so casually dropped in freaking Star Trek but here we are.
Old 10-15-2017, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoonyBardOL View Post
Well. Wasn't exactly expecting not one but two F-Bombs to be so casually dropped in freaking Star Trek but here we are.
Old 10-15-2017, 09:36 PM
An Animal of Joy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoonyBardOL View Post
Haha, yep. I least they were joyful, enthusiastic f-bombs.

DIS, "Choose Your Pain": What a fun episode. Finally we get a breather from following Michael doggedly in nearly every scene and start to see the beginning of our ensemble going forward. Saru flails a little bit in command, but ultimately he kinda dunked it in a way that rarely happens even though he doesn't give himself credit. It was fun seeing some nerds working together to solve an engineering problem that didn't involve some kind of torture. All in all, there was a bit of softening in the crew this episode. People are finally being kind to one another, especially welcome in the face of the Klingon's cruel reality TV prison games. Also disruptors/disintegration always frightened me in Star Trek, and wow they made them really scary in this show. Stamets is probably the thrall of some Great Old One now though huh. Starting to see why this whole thing could have been swept under the rug, now that involves not only torture during a first-contact with a sentient species, but also eugenics self-experimentation.
Old 10-15-2017, 11:50 PM
Remembers Love

Without going THIS👏IS👏THE👏MOST👏IMPORTANT👏THING👏EVER👏, it is nice to see gay-presenting characters in Trek without resorting to cludgy stuff like Sulu's husband in Beyond. Boy golly I was laughing at the stinger in this episode, though.

But I'm not holding it against the episode. I really liked it, in fact. The Captain shout-out was a bit heavy-handed, but I thoroughly dug it otherwise. And I'm going to give kudos to a show that's been overly blunt so far for putting Chekhov's Hypospray in Burnham's hand and then not letting her have the Spock-in-Wrath-of-Khan moment. Also, I submit that the boss-ass shuttle driver mook does go some of the way to correcting the karmic imbalance created by Lieutenant Severed-Tether from episode three.
Old 10-16-2017, 04:27 AM

Quote:
The Captain shout-out was a bit heavy-handed, but I thoroughly dug it otherwise.
I liked that part a lot. Because while the Jonathan Archer and Christopher Pike listings there obviously draws the eye, IIRC the top listing was Robert April. And that's a relatively obscure Trek reference. Given the time frame of Discovery, Capt. April would be commanding a brand new Enterprise right about now. So it would be super dope if he shows up soon, or maybe in a subsequent season. There's also a listing for Matt Decker, the Commodore on the USS Constellation from "The Doomsday Machine". Also a star chart that shows on the screen briefly also references Rura Penthe and K7 too, so that was neat.

At times Discovery does stuff that makes me unsure of how carefully it listens to canon, but the spoiler details I just talked about mostly assuages those fears. And the times it does, I can usually think up reasons for why it's not. Take for instance the Vulcan Starfleet official in this episode. Which would, you'd think, run counter to the long established idea that Spock was the first Vulcan in Starfleet. But I can see a world where that's massaged so that Spock is merely the first Vulcan to attend Starfleet Academy. And given Vulcan's prominent position as a core Federation world, and the slow integration of Starfleet from being an Earth institution to a Federation-wide one, it would make perfect sense that this Vulcan-bro was originally a high ranking Vulcan self-defense official who got integrated into Starfleet w/o attending Starfleet Academy, given the Federation is only ~80 years old at this point.

Quote:
And I'm going to give kudos to a show that's been overly blunt so far...
I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the things that are blunt, are blunt on purpose, and that there's stuff that will go over peoples heads in slightly more obscure ways. And I'll highly caution everyone to avoid most online discussions of DIS because people smarter (or crazier) than I are piecing together things like the fact that the actor who plays Voq is credited to a complete nobody, and is likely a misdirect for the actor who plays Lt. Tyler. Which I desperately want to be true because it would be super neat to have this be the way the Augment Virus gets addressed in the show. And it honestly makes way too much sense given everything we know up 'till now. And there's also no way the tribble in Lorca's ready room isn't going to go wild if that's the case.
Old 10-16-2017, 09:00 PM
120 Days

Good ep, but that was no D7!

Also captain call out was fun.

Also wisteria on your last spoilers:
Maybe the bald klingons the “true klingons” and modern TMP forward are the middle space between that and augments? I know Ent disproves this, but still?
Old 10-17-2017, 06:17 AM

I am so excited by that final stinger. It was effectively creepy, but also hilarious because of what it implies is coming. Mirror universe silliness!

The scene preceding it was also really sweet and nice. What a good couple.
Old 10-17-2017, 10:58 AM

I made a gif of the aforementioned sweet and nice coupley scene for Twitter, and Anthony Rapp (Stamets) liked it. Hooray! I’m cool!
Old 10-17-2017, 01:13 PM
I. Love. It.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell View Post
I am so excited by that final stinger. It was effectively creepy, but also hilarious because of what it implies is coming. Mirror universe silliness!
I wonder if the big twist in Discovery will be that we've been in the mirror universe all along??? That probably doesn't fly with what we already know about it, but it would be an easy 'get out of continuity free' card.
Old 10-18-2017, 06:15 AM
one zero zero one SOS

I thought this was a pretty okay one, though Saru seemed oddly unsympathetic to the information Burnham was bringing him. Obviously we don't have that great a handle on Saru as a character yet, but this really seemed like something he should have been responsive to. I fear the show is using the idiot hat on characters to move plots along and... I don't like it. The entire crew could have been ganked fairly easily.

I did love the sci-fi bits with the tardigrade though. The prison break plot was fine too, I guess. Lorca got to be badass for a bit even though nothing clever really took place. Though an intriguing revelation set up an interesting dynamic:

Burnham -- a mutineer who betrayed her captain for the benefit of the crew

Lorca (if the story is to be believed) -- an abandoner who failed to die with his crew in a doomed battle; it's not that he pulled the trigger to save his peeps from torture, but that he somehow found time to get himself and ONLY himself out of trouble before doing it
Old 10-18-2017, 07:31 AM

As I posted a few weeks ago my wife and I have been reviewing Discovery episodes, and this is our latest.

I once again welcome any feedback you can give. How can I improve my body language? Am I looking in the right direction?! Is it even clear I’m doing a Stamets impression at the start??? I think we fixed the low sound issue!
Old 10-18-2017, 03:45 PM
Not a Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by boyonion View Post
I thought this was a pretty okay one, though Saru seemed oddly unsympathetic to the information Burnham was bringing him. Obviously we don't have that great a handle on Saru as a character yet, but this really seemed like something he should have been responsive to. I fear the show is using the idiot hat on characters to move plots along and... I don't like it.
I don't think he was being an idiot or purposely obtuse. He was inexperienced and in command, we know he's insecure about it, and he's currently in danger of losing his captain and/or the ship and it being his fault. He decides the only choice is to use the known tech to get in and out, even if it may mean torturing and possibly killing a creature that may or may not be sentient. Yes, if it died too early everything would fail, but he decided that risk was no greater than the risk of trying some completely untested variation on the tech they'd been using instead. You can argue whether it was the right conclusion, but I don't think it was irrational. I think he considered her evidence and decided against following her advice.

Tags
anomaly , fascinating , four lights , get the cheese to sickbay , gold-pressed latinum , i'm sensing hostility , it's a faaaake! , khaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan , live long and prosper , lt. barclay , no it's real!!! , o'brien's shoulder , octo-good , resistance is futile , reverse the polarity , science fiction , shaka when the walls fell , shut up wesley , star trek , tachyon , temba his arms wide , the punishment zone , there is one bridge! , welshy!!!! , wesley crusher