The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about TV and film

Old 06-27-2016, 10:32 AM
Oily Butt Thing

My Left Foot is occasionally very funny, in the blackest Irish way possible.
Old 06-27-2016, 11:13 AM
It's all good, man

Quote:
Originally Posted by taosterman View Post
I never saw that movie, actually - it would have never occurred to me that it would qualify.
Oh man, it's great. Obviously Lincoln is dealing with one of the most important decisions and moments in American history, but his humanity still totally gets across, and a big part of that is Day-Lewis portrays him as a person and not an icon.
Old 06-27-2016, 11:35 AM
For Great Apollo Justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
Wait, that guy was Brent Spiner?

Wow, I loved "Data acting like an idiot" decades before I watched TNG
Yeah, it was a pretty big deal to see one of the TNG cast in a big movie back in the day (before the show ended and Patrick Stewart turned into Prof. X)
Old 06-27-2016, 11:46 AM
Bertolli?!?...

Quote:
Wait, that guy was Brent Spiner?

Wow, I loved "Data acting like an idiot" decades before I watched TNG
I presume you're aware of this, but it occurs to me to mention that you might fight a post-TNG re-watch of Gargoyles to be a revelation.
Old 06-27-2016, 11:53 AM
Programmed to Jingle

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBear View Post
I presume you're aware of this, but it occurs to me to mention that you might fight a post-TNG re-watch of Gargoyles to be a revelation.
I had a concurrent one.

Riker as Lex Luthor remains inspired casting, and it cemented my opinion that Marina Sirtis is only enjoyable when she's a villain.

Levar Burton as a giant spider is just weird though.
Old 06-27-2016, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBear View Post
You misspelled both of his names, but I assume you mean Brent Spiner, in which case: I haven't seen it in a long time, but didn't he die in the first movie? "No peace..."
The consequences of writing posts from a phone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven View Post
Much like Goldblum's character in Jurassic Park (the book, at least) it was retconned into a coma from what I understand.
And yes I too thought his character (Dr. Oaken) was dead. In fact, since I was at a double feature I paid particular attention to that scene in the first movie to see if they would have to retcon his death somehow. While it *seems* like he dies, the military person that checks his vitals doesn't say one way or another, so they don't have to contradict themselves when it turns out he's been a coma for that last 20 years and the return of the aliens causes him to wake up.

Though when someone doesn't confirm someones alive in a film I think most people are expected to imply that the character died, and they just don't want to voice the loss.
Old 06-27-2016, 12:30 PM
For Great Apollo Justice

Quote:
Though when someone doesn't confirm someones alive in a film I think most people are expected to imply that the character died, and they just don't want to voice the loss.
I come at it from the opposite end due to a lifetime of reading comic books: if you don't see a body, they're not dead. And if someone doesn't kick that body a few times and say "he's dead", then they're not dead.

I think a few people actually tell Malcom "wait, you're supposed to be dead" in the Lost World, which means that at least Crichton knew how crazy it was that he'd brought him back after unambiguously killing him off in JP.
Old 06-27-2016, 10:02 PM
この世の最も無智なる者

Quote:
I never saw that movie, actually - it would have never occurred to me that it would qualify.
There's a lot of humor in the role. It's an interesting performance.

The movie as a whole is basically a bad community theater production but with an laughably extravagant budget. (I watched Malcom X and Milk recently, and during both (especially during Malcom X) I just kept thinking about how weak Lincoln was as a biopic by comparison. Daniel Day Lewis makes it worth watching anyway though, like that one guy in the bad community theater production who is inexplicably way too good to be doing bad community theater.)
Old 06-27-2016, 10:16 PM
Gesundheit!

That's what scared me away - it seemed like a movie you'd be forced to watch in middle school, only it happened to feature one of the world's greatest actors as the lead. I'll get around to it eventually.
Old 06-27-2016, 10:24 PM
????? LV 13 HP 292/

Quote:
I think a few people actually tell Malcom "wait, you're supposed to be dead" in the Lost World, which means that at least Crichton knew how crazy it was that he'd brought him back after unambiguously killing him off in JP.
Maybe the Malcolm in Lost World is a clone. If dinosaurs can be brought back then I would think human cloning would be possible.
Old 06-27-2016, 10:40 PM
bunch of bozos

On the plane back from Canada, I watched a recent, popular Japanese film called MOZU, featuring Beat Takeshi (that's him with the bald cap and all the flames).

Here is my review of the film, in three illicit screen shots that I took:

Old 06-27-2016, 10:58 PM
Zen-vergonha

I think if we had a biographical movie about Takeshi Kitano, it would be like that movie about Dylan, with several different personas. I can't understand the guy and he seems really interesting. He might be a clown or even a misogynist, but damn, he directed A Scene at the Sea, Kids Return and Sonatine.

...and that NES game too, i guess.

(I wonder if his books in japanese are good to understand the guy.)
Old 06-28-2016, 06:47 AM
It's all good, man

Lincoln isn't a biopic. At least not a traditional one. It's not the life story of Abe Lincoln, it's the story of the passage of the 13th amendment.
Old 06-28-2016, 07:14 AM
For Great Apollo Justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline View Post
Lincoln isn't a biopic. At least not a traditional one. It's not the life story of Abe Lincoln, it's the story of the passage of the 13th amendment.
Yeah, it's most comparable to something like Steve Jobs (at least, amongst recent movies) in its hyper-focus on very specific events.
Old 06-28-2016, 12:35 PM
💀S☠K💀E☠L💀E☠T💀O☠N💀

For some reason I can't stop thinking about GooseBumps so I'm gonna babble about it some more. But I'm also gonna put it in a spoilerpop so you can more easily ignore it and also because I guess it'll contain spoilers. Does anybody actually care about getting spoiled on the fucking GooseBumps movie? Whatever here goes.
How do you even begin to adapt something like GooseBumps?

The first problem with trying to adapt GooseBumps is that the books aren't really that scary. They're "horror" books in the loosest sense of the word, written for 2nd and 3rd graders of the early-to-mid 90s. They all follow a pretty basic formula kid finds something that's kinda creepy (but never too creepy), investigates with all their KID-COURAGE and gets to the bottom of the CREEPY THING in a way that mostly solves the problem and allows for a happy ending, with maybe just a TINY CHANCE of EXTRA CREEPY in the last sentence in case Stine decides to do a sequel. They're not supposed to be LEGIT TERRIFYING, even to their intended audience of children. If you tried to take the foundation of goosebumps and make something resembling an actual horror movie (which I'm sure is an idea that got tossed around a lot between 1997 and 2015) would be missing the point.

Second problem is there are a LOT of fucking goosebumps books. Stine churned those things out like a fucking force of nature back in the day. When I was in elementary school, every single one of those Scholastic™ pamphlets they gave us kids to give to our parents to encourage us to read more contained 2 brand new ones. A quick google search reveals 62 main series stories and god only knows how many spinoffs, most of them completely self contained affairs. How do you take such a mass of work and turn that into a single movie? Do you just adapt the single most famous story (Which I guess would have to be slappy the dummy). Do you try and combine several of them into a single plot? How would that work?

With that as the basis, you can already see the HORRIBLE FAILURE VERSION of this taking shape before your eyes. a GRIM & EDGY retelling of 4 or 5 Goosebumps plots just sorta smashed together. Something like, I dunno, PLANT DAD accidentally spills MONSTER BLOOD on EVIL PUPPET or some shit and it's all played as serious and gritty and NOT THE GOOSEBUMPS YOU REMEMBER. This could have been awful.

But they didn't do any of that. Instead they decided that this movie called goosebumps would be ABOUT Goosebumps rather than adapted from it. As such, the plot is that R.L. Stine, author of Goosebumps, is secretly magic, and that original manuscripts to his books can summon their respective monsters into the real world when opened. It's an obvious excuse to allow them to stuff ALL THE GOOSEBUMPS into a single film.

And that's JUST FINE WITH ME. Because that lets us get Slappy the dummy, Cruising around in a haunted hot rod (license plate "HAUNTED") summoning every monster ever, giving speeches to his assembled horde that boil down to "Seriously, fuck our author!" It lets the movie cram in all of these random elements that it clearly loves in ways that are endlessly entertaining.

This movie is delightful and I was delighted by it. So if you've got Netflix and a few hours to kill, I'd say check it out.
Old 06-28-2016, 12:42 PM
Programmed to Jingle

Now, seriously? THAT is how you make a movie sound like something I want to see.

Congratulations on doing a better job then the films actual advertising crew, Mr. Skellybones.
Old 06-28-2016, 01:09 PM
just ignore my posts

Quote:
Now, seriously? THAT is how you make a movie sound like something I want to see.

Congratulations on doing a better job then the films actual advertising crew, Mr. Skellybones.
Old 06-28-2016, 02:28 PM
This Guy

I feel this discussion of the Goosebumps movie is missing something.

Ah, that's better. Really, that Goosebumps movie is much better than it had any right to be.
Old 06-28-2016, 03:58 PM
Remembers Love

Goddamn The Rocketeer is a tour de force of that guy actors (and Margo Martindale).
Old 06-29-2016, 06:40 AM
💀S☠K💀E☠L💀E☠T💀O☠N💀

The other movie I watched on Netflix recently was SON OF BATMAN, one of them DC, straight to video deals.

I've found a lot to like about most of DC's Straight to Video stuff. Under the Red Hood, an their adaptation of the Dark Knight Returns are legit Great!

This was... not.
Old 06-29-2016, 07:08 AM
For Great Apollo Justice

It happened at that point, because Rowling's writing became so overwrought and editor-proof that they had to start cutting out giant chunks of the books to get the movies down to any reasonable length.

(3 avoided that, but that's because 3 was directed by Curaon, who basically made an altogether different movie than the book.)

That was averted by making the final movie two parts, except no one remembered that the first part of the last book was essentially wasting time.

Quote:
Also holy shit wizards are fucking incompetent.
*nods* It's like every wizard is US intelligence pre-9/11, only about a billion times more obtuse.

Quote:
Muggles wouldn't make teenagers FIGHT WILD ANIMALS TO THE DEATH IN FRONT OF A SCREAMING CROWD!
Don't get me started on how a reasonable lawyer would shut Quidditch down in 20 seconds over their ignorance of concussion protocols. Harry Potter's brain must've looked like Chris Benoit's circa 2006 by the end of book six.
Old 06-29-2016, 07:42 AM
Dinger!

Damn you, Sven, books 4 and 7 are my favourites. Haven't seen the 4th movie though, and only saw 7 Part 1 (which I didn't like).
Old 06-29-2016, 07:47 AM
💀S☠K💀E☠L💀E☠T💀O☠N💀

Quote:
Don't get me started on how a reasonable lawyer would shut Quidditch down in 20 seconds over their ignorance of concussion protocols. Harry Potter's brain must've looked like Chris Benoit's circa 2006 by the end of book six.
I've read Most of the books (Burned out near the start of book 6, I think) but only ever watched the first 3 movies. of course, I saw them years and years ago now. My memories of them are now a blurry mess.

The most glaring omission in this one for me was they cut out the HELLA PRO QUDDICH GAME (though oddly, not the scenes of everybody going to the game, and then everybody leaving the game). I remember it because it was where Rowling did everything in her power to invent a scenario where the jerks doing the shit that does not matter COULD matter, but only if your snitch grabber is equal parts impatient and incompetent.

Quidditch is not a very well-thought-out fantasy sport.
Old 06-29-2016, 07:54 AM
It's all good, man

Movie 8 is worse than movie 7 and movie 4 is also not so good
Old 06-29-2016, 07:57 AM
Gesundheit!

I gave up after the fifth movie, when it became clear that there was no interest in telling a coherent story without foreknowledge of the books, as opposed to a visual highlight reel.
Old 06-29-2016, 08:10 AM
is Earnest

Quote:
I gave up after the fifth movie, when it became clear that there was no interest in telling a coherent story without foreknowledge of the books, as opposed to a visual highlight reel.
Yep, that's pretty much what they are, except for The Prisoner of Azkaban.
Old 06-29-2016, 08:38 AM
Better be the real thing.

I never got around to seeing the last movie, even though I've had the DVD on my shelf for a couple years after winning it in trivia.
Old 06-29-2016, 08:44 AM

I also never got around to seeing the last movie(s). HP has always been my bete noire throughout the 2000s, with the non-stop comparisons to Potter and my general reluctance to fully embrace MAGICK FANTASY fiction.

Out of all them, I liked the Half-Blood Prince the most (man, I had to see them because I have younger siblings). Seemed to be the most complex, engaging and humane of the movies.
Old 06-29-2016, 09:08 AM
This Guy

To be fair, it seems perfectly reasonable to expect the vast majority of people going to see the HP movies to have read the books. I liked all of them to some degree or other, but visual highlight reel is a pretty accurate description.
Old 06-29-2016, 09:17 AM
It's all good, man

It's also not a description of a good movie.

Tags
fast and fury road , fear of new threads , film , francoquest , francostein , james franco , jess franco , movies , reviews , wild speed: sky mission , you seen fury road , you'll like fury road