The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about TV and film

Old 12-29-2008, 01:14 AM
Implies Authority

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiv View Post
The Curious Case of Benjamin Button: It's a crime that David Fincher will win something for this maudlin trash (written by: That dude responsible for Forrest Gump) instead of getting some Official Hollywood Recognition for Zodiac.
I saw this the other night and I 100% agree. I mean really, aged film filters from a guy who had well and truly separated his music video work from taut, well paced feature work (ie. Zodiac, Se7en). The makeup was good/excessive, some of it reminding of the fact that he started off with Alien 3. But yeah, overly long; making it an adamantly patient sexy star vehicle, ultimately not entertaining let alone considering capturing the tone of the source material... the fact that Fitzgerald's original short story was written with his 'Diamond as Big as the Ritz' humourous naïveté just made the utter seriousness that much more grating (how long can a person be lying on their deathbed, breathily pushing out lines?). Re: film length: I like the uncut versions of Once Upon a Time in America, 1900 and Heaven's Gate, I like Satantango (all 6-7 hour films) but there was a wealth of unnecessary devices/scenes in Benjamin Button that really don't justiy its running time.

Other films I've seen recently:

Hunger: Directed by British artist Steve McQueen, follows hunger striker/political prisoner Bobby Sands in Northern Ireland 1981. Utterly bowled me over and hung me out to dry. A harrowing, crushing, beautiful, masterful, experimental experience. Super-realist and brutal, brutal film... some of the cinematography reminds me of the work of Yasujiro Ozu and Ming-liang Tsai (though people without a low threshold for long, long takes will still be entralled in this film).

The Woodsman: Kevin Bacon produces and stars in this 2004 film which had a fair bit of buzz at the time but has sort of faded since. A pedophile returns to his hometown after 12 years in prison and attempts to re-enter normal life. Inspired cinematography and great performances made this hit quite hard for me; one can never really identify with the protagonist, but the quality/depth of directing by Nicole Kassell allows an ephemeral sort of empathy with Bacon's character. Utterly distanced itself from its original format as a play (I only found out that it was based on one when IMDb'ing just now), which can't be said for the forthcoming kiddy-fiddler flick Doubt. I saw the trailer at Benjamin Button and the flabbergasted yell-fest between Streep and Hoffman (which may be attributed at this stage to poor trailer editing) was almost laughable - I hate when people just film rather than adapt plays.
Old 12-29-2008, 01:58 AM
Condiment connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnChocolate View Post
A friend and I used to do something facetious like this on a blog, in the form of MTG cards. For better or for worse, it didn't last long!
Damn, and this is a good one, too. How many of these did you make?

On-topic edit: I haven't seen anything new yet, but I will be seeing Gran Torino in the coming week. I also have an as-yet-unwatched Burn After Reading right next to my TV. I'm sorry, VC Metal Slug 2 called to me.
Old 12-29-2008, 07:56 AM
Not a Beer

Anonymooo just beat me to it, but I was about to make a request for more posting of silly movie magic cards.

Or, you know, just point us to the blog if it hasn't been disappeared'd off the face of the internet.
Old 12-29-2008, 08:24 AM
Junior Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mopinks View Post
oh, we watched Gran Torino at my aunt's house on Christmas Eve because she gets screener copies of movies and we had nothing better to do!

it was unintentionally hilarious.
Ok, the supporting actors in this movie were AWFUL. The priest delivered his lines like he was on a soap opera, flat, boring with some slight overacting. As for Thao, all I need to say is locked in the basement.
That being said, Eastwood is great and he more than makes up for the bad acting. Maybe he cast them to make his performance look better! I still liked the movie a lot though.
Old 12-29-2008, 08:25 AM
100% All Original

I just bought: the Kung Fu Panda DVD, mostly because it included Alton Brown. Neither he nor the movie itself disappointed.

Wanted was pretty good, considering: the source material. Seriously, it's SO BAD. Okay, I admit it, I like Wanted. And Boondock Saints.

To add some negativity: I was dragged along to see Death Race a while back. I don't know if I can ever watch a movie with Jason Statham again.
Old 12-29-2008, 08:38 AM
Placeholder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiv View Post
The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
My half-borther is an extra in this, actually. I don't think he's on the screen from more than two seconds, though.
Old 12-29-2008, 09:12 AM
Lv. 7 lawful woods faffer

Benjamin Button was a perfectly good 90-minute movie.

Iron Man on Blu-Ray didn't rock my face off, but that's just because it was still sufficiently rocked off from when I saw it in theaters.

Muppets Christmas Carol remains the best Christmas movie ever filmed.
Old 12-29-2008, 09:37 AM
A Dream Beneath the Sun

Unforgiven is the best Western I have ever seen, and I have seen quite a few.

Bonus fun fact about Eastwood; he was playing the 'Old Guy' role back in 1992!
Old 12-29-2008, 09:37 AM
We just don't know.

I saw Zombie Strippers.

It was so awesome.
Old 12-29-2008, 03:10 PM
ILU Tiger Millionaire

So I just saw Memento. And now, with a brief review, we go to my mind.

Wiggumbeard's Mind remarks, "I'm blown."

Thank you, my mind.

Just...wow. The last time my jaw dropped in surprise was when I saw Vertigo. Which was...this summer, actually.
Old 12-29-2008, 03:52 PM
utada hikaru

BENJAMIN BUTTON is good, it entertained me for two hours.

The other forty-five minutes I was not entertained but I accepted my fate, grimly.

RUSHMORE is so fucking badass you don't even know.

SYMPATHY FOR LADY VENGEANCE is the strangest and also worst of the trilogy, but it is still pretty goddamn good.

I have also been informed that Park Chan-Wook was offered a chance to remake The Evil Dead. That is cRaZy.

STEP BROTHERS is not a movie it is some sort of comedic performance-art. It is good.
Old 12-29-2008, 03:58 PM
23 ski-dook

Running Scared (2006) - Cheesy and over-the-top with gratuitous violence. A fun watch, though, even if the deus ex machina ending was lame.
Old 12-29-2008, 05:52 PM
First Crusade! Judge!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirin View Post
Anonymooo just beat me to it, but I was about to make a request for more posting of silly movie magic cards.

Or, you know, just point us to the blog if it hasn't been disappeared'd off the face of the internet.
We only ended up doing a few, and that was probably the best one. Here's some of the better ones though:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phat View Post
SYMPATHY FOR LADY VENGEANCE is the strangest and also worst of the trilogy, but it is still pretty goddamn good.
I saw the first movie in that trilogy, Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance, and my friends hated it, but they're stupid. I'm pretty sure they just couldn't get over the title or something. They also didn't like The Host, so maybe they just don't like Korean films?
Old 12-29-2008, 06:49 PM
Implies Authority

Speaking of Korean films, I watched The President's Last Bang a little while ago. Follows the 1979 assassination of South Korean President Park Chung-hee. As the title may suggest, you get a satirical/darkly humourous portrait of the events - funny, mostly clever/well-paced, if at times directionless.
Old 12-29-2008, 06:55 PM
gatchapon 3*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggumbeard View Post
I saw Slumdog Millionaire on Friday. A nice mix of visuals both beautiful and disgustingly brutal. I really did enjoy it, especially having "Who Wants to Be a Millionaire?" being used as a vehicle to tell the story of Jamal.
it's an actual show in india, and very popular--kaun banega crorepati.

and my mom hated this movie, said it made her sick to her stomach to see her country portrayed like this.
Old 12-29-2008, 07:00 PM
utada hikaru

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnChocolate View Post
I saw the first movie in that trilogy, Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance, and my friends hated it, but they're stupid. I'm pretty sure they just couldn't get over the title or something. They also didn't like The Host, so maybe they just don't like Korean films?
That's pretty screwed up. Those movies are really good.

Well The Host is okay but Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance is actually super good. Like, ultra good.
Old 12-29-2008, 07:00 PM
23 ski-dook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganietzsche View Post
Speaking of Korean films, I watched The President's Last Bang a little while ago. Follows the 1979 assassination of South Korean President Park Chung-hee. As the title may suggest, you get a satirical/darkly humourous portrait of the events - funny, mostly clever/well-paced, if at times directionless.
I swear for a second I thought it was a Bill Clinton biopic or somethin'.

Last edited by DemoWeasel; 12-29-2008 at 07:13 PM.
Old 12-29-2008, 07:01 PM
forbidden noise

I liked Dogma, but I think Kevin Smith's brand of outlandish offensiveness has rapidly diminishing returns. Even though it was a better movie than Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back, I didn't laugh as much. I liked Chris Rock better in that movie, but Matt Damon fucking ruled this one, and I found him even funnier after his stint as Keith Olbermann on SNL, which I couldn't help but think of almost any time he did anything. I also love Alan Rickman.

Last edited by spineshark; 12-29-2008 at 07:22 PM.
Old 12-29-2008, 10:30 PM
d.o_o.b

I really didn't like Oldboy. Some of the tonal shifts seemed too jarring, and I just could not relate to any of the actions or motivations of the characters in the second half.

The Host was a lot of fun!
Old 12-29-2008, 11:22 PM
gatchapon 3*

the tale of despereaux could have been a good story, but it spends too much time on intro and not enough on conclusion.
Old 12-30-2008, 12:17 AM
It's all good, man

Quote:
Originally Posted by spineshark View Post
Matt Damon fucking ruled this one, and I found him even funnier after his stint as Keith Olbermann on SNL, which I couldn't help but think of almost any time he did anything.
Uh, that's Ben Affleck.
Old 12-30-2008, 12:21 AM
forbidden noise

I knew that and still typed the wrong name. Stu-pid!
Old 12-30-2008, 01:24 AM

Unbreakable: best superhero-origin movie, best repeated-viewing thing that Shyamalan's done (Sixth Sense works the first time, but after that it loses its punch, and we know that everything else the man has done is shite)
Old 12-30-2008, 02:22 AM
Goodbye!

Oldboy: Since when is a claw-side hammer fight the gentlest part of a movie? Also awesome. Liquid is wrong.
Old 12-30-2008, 08:35 AM
この世の最も無智なる者

Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me

If you've never seen the TV show--This would be a fairly traditional David Lynch movie exploring the underside of rural America via fragmentary storytelling and surreal imagery, on par other works of his like Blue Velvet.

If you've seen the TV show--Holy shit, this is a like a Rosetta Stone for viewing Lynch. What would usually be the impenetrable elments in any other Lynch movie make perfect sense, because you've already seen Agent Dale Cooper investigate and interpret the psycho-spiritual symbology of the Twin Peaks universe for upwards of 30 hours.

Watching the movie with this in mind, you get a very clear idea of how dreamlike/fantastical elements function in Lynch's worldview. It makes me want to rewatch ever Lynch movie I've ever seen.

It also makes me glad that Lynch is so stingy with commentary and explanations otherwise, because knowing this much about the background of all of his movies would take away their mystique.
Old 12-30-2008, 08:40 AM
#deadfish2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivam View Post
the tale of despereaux could have been a good story, but it spends too much time on intro and not enough on conclusion.
Despereaux was horribly paced. And awfuly bland considering a moderate amount of high fantasy.

But the worst thing about it was Sigourney Weaver's naration. Any life the movie had was destoryed as soon as she started talking. I'm amazed that the producers went ahead with this naration. Is Weaver's name so big a draw that it's worth killing the rest of the movie for?

BLEGH!
Old 12-30-2008, 09:29 AM
We just don't know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki View Post
But the worst thing about it was Sigourney Weaver's naration. Any life the movie had was destoryed as soon as she started talking. I'm amazed that the producers went ahead with this naration. Is Weaver's name so big a draw that it's worth killing the rest of the movie for?

BLEGH!
Remember how they had her narrate the American broadcast version of Planet Earth, and when the DVDs came out suddenly she was nowhere to be found and it's all Attenborough again?

I mean, Attenborough is like one of the top 3 narration voices for anything ever, but still.
Old 12-30-2008, 09:48 AM
Condiment connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCar View Post
Oldboy: Since when is a claw-side hammer fight the gentlest part of a movie? Also awesome. Liquid is wrong.
See, I didn't like Oldboy because I thought it was too over the top, trying just to go for shock value instead of actually being shocking. That said, the hammer fight was awesome.

Fighter in the Wind- I've been in a mood to watch martial arts movies again, and I hadn't seen this one in a really long time. While the filmmakers pretty much butcher Mas Oyama's life with a psychotically pro-Korean/anti-Japanese bent, the fight sequences are brutal and dynamic, with enough drama and actual acting to keep you interested in the slow parts between fights.
Old 12-30-2008, 09:56 AM
For Great Apollo Justice

The Rocketeer is of course awesome and I'm very happy I finally own it on DVD to put next to my copy of The Shadow as the "fuck you, Frank Miller, superheroes are awesome and fun" section of the DVD collection.

We finally got around to watching that copy of Troy that had been bought for $3.99 months ago and... it wasn't very good, but I can't pin down a reason WHY it wasn't good. Well, aside from the fact that massive CGI armies clashing is the most overused and now dull effect in movies since Bullet Time.
Old 12-30-2008, 09:59 AM
Justice is my Middle Name

Speed Racer is fucking fantastic.

Tags
fast and fury road , fear of new threads , film , francoquest , francostein , james franco , jess franco , movies , reviews , wild speed: sky mission , you seen fury road , you'll like fury road