The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about TV and film

Old 07-31-2017, 10:10 AM
Gesundheit!

I was surprised at how reserved Stewart was in the role. I was expecting something arch and over-the-top like his villain from Masterminds (a much worse movie) and seeing him play it low-key was a real curveball, like a lot of the movie.
Old 07-31-2017, 10:25 AM
Programmed to Jingle

The VROOMATHON nears its conclusion with Fast & Furious 6. The movies have been steadily getting more ridiculous as the series wears on, and I figured this would be the case, but I wasn't quite prepared for this.

This is a movie where Vin Diesels crew battles their evil Earth-3 Duplicates.
This is a movie where Vin Diesel cures amnesia with a car race.
We learn that NOS is a magical substance that makes any machine work better if you pour it in.
It is a movie where the Evil Vin Diesel figures that if he can't beat Vin with a car, he'll use a tank instead (proving that Vin is fast, but he is Furious)
Eventually, an entire plane is harpooned and brought down.
And, like, four or five times Han smirks and mentions he'd like to visit Tokyo. Again.

You're making this franchise more confusing then it needs to be, Han. Stop doing that, Han.
Old 07-31-2017, 12:02 PM
ah’m margaret wartahm

47 Meters Down was more critically well-recieved than Valerian and it's still playing nearby... goddammit... maybe I'll see it.
Old 08-01-2017, 09:26 PM
This Guy

Rocky somehow found its way into my DVD player and I think it might be my favorite movie. It probably is and will be until I watch Princess Bride or Flash Gordon again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by conchobhar View Post
Atomic Blonde was a letdown.
I think I liked it more than you, but I agree with the general principle. Atomic Blonde is caught in some uncomfortable place between John Wick and John Le Carre. Though it is more like going through the motions of Le Carre than actually being like Le Carre. I was enjoying the spy stuff (and the soundtrack despite it being heavy handed) until it ramped up for the end, when it just became completely nonsensical. I am still not precisely sure what exactly went down. The action was great, though. Overall, though, it was a let down. They should have just made John Wick starring Theron.
Old 08-02-2017, 07:57 AM
Video Monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rascally Badger View Post
until I watch Princess Bride or Flash Gordon again.
Your taste is good and you should feel good.
Old 08-03-2017, 08:31 AM
Video Monster

Because Mulan is deservedly beloved and important for a lot of people, it's disappointing to me that the movie's direction and cinematography is pretty bland and stiff compared to a lot of Disney's output from the same time period.
Old 08-03-2017, 09:23 AM
>TRANCE

I actually really liked Atomic Blonde. Found it very fun & stylish & gay. Action was great but also super brutal - the hose scene was probably the best fight. Vaguely Bondish (including an unfortunate scene I wished they would have skipped). Overall recommended - if you watch the trailer and it looks like something you're in the mood for, then that's pretty much the sort of thing you're going to get!
Old 08-03-2017, 11:09 AM
Programmed to Jingle

The Simpsons Movie holds up extremely well and is probably the most I've laughed at the show in the last twenty-ish years.

In conclusion:

Old 08-03-2017, 12:30 PM
Serial Thread Killer

Monty Python & the Holy Grail is a movie I haven't seen in a while.

Yep. Its still good. I honestly asked myself while watching "Man you don't really see many comedy movies anymore these days." IN EARNEST. I actually thought that. I think its because of the low-budget quality that endears it to you a bit. Also because its sparing with the music.

So I also watched Life of Brian. I think this one might not be as funny but have the silliest story. Everything with the Judean people's front is kind of whatever. Everything with Brian or the Romans in it is gold. Wheras in Holy Grail, it was all gold.
Old 08-03-2017, 12:47 PM
Programmed to Jingle

"Yes, we are all individuals."
"I'm not"

Is probably my favorite adlibbed line ever
Old 08-03-2017, 12:51 PM
Video Monster

Biggus Dickus
Old 08-03-2017, 12:52 PM
an eeling of Christmas

Quote:
Everything with the Judean people's front is kind of whatever.
The "What the hell has Rome done for us" bit is kinda funny but also implies a pretty monstrous politics. The "help help I'm being repressed" scene from Holy Grail has a much more pointed statement about the use of power underpinning it that I think is why it's better remembered.
Old 08-03-2017, 01:18 PM
>TRANCE

Already trying to figure out about how far I'd need to skip ahead to avoid the Stan / Loretta scene
Old 08-03-2017, 01:30 PM
Bertolli?!?...

I remember about a week or two in Junior High where my friends and I spent lunch hour every day gathered around a fellow who had a copy of the Monty Python & the Holy Grail script and listened to dramatic readings.

(Yes, I was the coolest kid. Why do you ask?)

Last edited by JBear; 08-03-2017 at 01:49 PM.
Old 08-03-2017, 01:41 PM
Gesundheit!

I feel like Holy Grail carried the cultural stain for a while of being overquoted by nerds, but that whole trend has kind of fallen by the wayside, at least in my experience. I just watched it for the first time in ages a few weeks ago and had a blast. My favorite bit is probably Lancelot attacking the wedding, but it's so hard to choose.
Old 08-03-2017, 02:43 PM
The metal babble flees!

Holy Grail and Hitchhiker's Guide are two things that I've seen way way way too many times (Hitchhiker's in three different forms that I can think of), and that can still make me laugh.

Favorite parts of Grail? Tough call, indeed. The Knights that say Nee, and Tim of Questions Three, are the ones I thought of right away, so that's my answer.
Old 08-03-2017, 05:18 PM
Programmed to Jingle

I feel like I enjoyed the fake trailers and concept behind Tropic Thunder more than the film itself. Though Ben Stiller and Nick Nolte did their best to accommodate me.

I didn't even realize Tom Cruise was in it until the end credits started.
Old 08-03-2017, 09:10 PM

Faced with the daunting task of apadting 8 books worth of material into a coherent feature film The Dark Tower ends up a very messy film that likely won't find much of an audience among either King fans or the casual movie-goer.

Fans of the book series will likely be disappointed at the film's approach of picking random bits from different books and assembling a fairly uninspired but straightforward narrative that doesn't really adapt any of them to a satisfying degree. The film features some of the key events and of course characters from the series but lacks the depth needed to get viewers really invested in the characters and better explain their motivations. At least Stephen King fans will likely enjoy spotting the large number of Easter eggs both big and small to his other works.

A casual viewer will likely be able to follow the main story beats and enjoy the well shot gun fights. However, without knowledge from the books of the wider lore of The Dark Tower parts of the film will probably just seem confusing or nonsensical. The film does minimal world building, just enough to give the leads very basic motivations but glosses over a lot, which isn't helped by it's short runtime of 1.5 hours or so.

So really, you need to have read the books to get the most out of the film; but if you've read and enjoyed the books the film will seem like a waste of potential.

At least the cast turns in solid and occasionally great performances. It's just disappointing they aren't working from a better script set against a more fully realized world.

I'm also bummed that the likelihood of this film turning into a bomb means the supposedly still in production TV series probably won't happen.
Old 08-04-2017, 03:48 AM
Programmed to Jingle

That syncs up to the other reviews I've read.

Man, that's disappointing. I was really looking forward to it.
Old 08-04-2017, 04:33 AM
concentrate

Indeed. I was looking forward to Idris Elba being a badass Gunslinger and McConaissance doing his thing.
Old 08-04-2017, 05:47 AM
concern troll

The movie is really mediocre. Hopefully it makes enough money for then to think a series is a good idea because the world really needs time to breath.
Old 08-04-2017, 08:11 AM
Find Your Reason

Wait, they smushed all the books into one movie? I've never read them and was quite looking forward to a film franchise to last several years. Whose bright idea was that?
Old 08-04-2017, 08:32 AM
Merry Christmas, Ma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zef View Post
Wait, they smushed all the books into one movie? I've never read them and was quite looking forward to a film franchise to last several years. Whose bright idea was that?
I skimmed some of the production history and it looks like at some point the studio dropped their hatchet men into the production and told them to do whatever it took to bring this to market. Lot of wasted potential there.
Old 08-04-2017, 08:46 AM
Gesundheit!

Dunkirk: Saw in 70mm and loved it. The structure is kind of typical Nolanry but really works, emphasizing that war is similarly claustrophobic and isolating no matter the geography or spatial or temporal scale. I can also see why the movie's so short for a war movie. It plays out like what would be the finale of any other movie, for a full hour and a half, and any longer would have been overkill.
Old 08-04-2017, 11:36 AM
120 Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zef View Post
not exactly, the idea was it was the next cycle of Roland's quest. Not sure how it plays it in movie
Old 08-04-2017, 02:26 PM
All are Santa Saturn

Even if it was a film franchise, Wizard and Glass would have been difficult to pull off in the middle of the film series, considering the whole damn thing is flashback. (Although I suppose you could go straight from Wastelands to Calla, and leave WAG as a side film.)

That The Dark Tower movie is not like the books is fine but it has to stand on its own merits as a film, and everything I've read says that it does not. I have tickets for Sunday so I guess I'll find out.
Old 08-04-2017, 02:35 PM
Programmed to Jingle

I thought it was either going to tell a new story based on Dark Tower (which the trailers implied) and that would have been great, or it was going to adapt Gunslinger directly, which would have also made sense as that's the most cinema-friendly of the books.

But adapting the entire series into a ninety minute movie is... well... it's insane. That's the idea an insane person would have.
Old 08-04-2017, 02:41 PM
It's all good, man

There's supposedly a TV series coming that adapts Wizard and Glass.
Old 08-04-2017, 02:47 PM
120 Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
I thought it was either going to tell a new story based on Dark Tower (which the trailers implied) and that would have been great, or it was going to adapt Gunslinger directly, which would have also made sense as that's the most cinema-friendly of the books.

But adapting the entire series into a ninety minute movie is... well... it's insane. That's the idea an insane person would have.
It's a remix. Four-so will let us know. There is assuredly no Suzanna.
Old 08-04-2017, 03:45 PM
#2 Aero the Acro-Bat Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kairu View Post
Faced with the daunting task of apadting 8 books worth of material into a coherent feature film The Dark Tower ends up a very messy film that likely won't find much of an audience among either King fans or the casual movie-goer.
More like 6. Wizard and Glass could be excised, as well as Wind Through the Keyhole isn't needed. However, they actually tried to cover the whole main story? Yeeeech.

I personally never had any faith in the project, when I heard that Akiva "Batman and Robin, Lost in Space, A Winter's Tale, Rings, etc" Goldman was handling the script. Although if the mandate was to adapt the series into a single 90-minute movie, no one would be able to pull that off well.

However, since my favorite characters aren't even in the movie, this is an easy as hell choice.

....they don't even have Oy in it I understand? A review mentioned they saw a talking raccoon on a TV commercial in a storefront and there's a comedy beat about Roland thinking that it was real, and that's the closest we ever got, apparently?

It also seems that, aside from a few moments like that, and McConaughey's over the top performance, that it is mostly dry and humorless. The lack of Eddie sure as hell can't help with that.

Quote:
I'm also bummed that the likelihood of this film turning into a bomb means the supposedly still in production TV series probably won't happen.
Yeah, that actually had potential. However, a TV series would have been a better medium for the whole project anyway. Maybe in another 10 years some one will try it.

Tags
fast and fury road , fear of new threads , film , francoquest , francostein , james franco , jess franco , movies , reviews , wild speed: sky mission , you seen fury road , you'll like fury road