The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about TV and film

Old 10-08-2017, 02:01 PM
Programmed to Jingle

Default Tales of Booglies and Gerblins: Another SPOOKYFILM Thread

Hello BOILS AND GHOULS, it's you're old pal Octopus SLIME here with tales of spooky suspense that will have you running to your MUMMIES. Why I've been SLAYing SKELEtons of halloweeny films and I didn't want to disrupt Flawgics thread any more with my ramblings any more than I had to.

No doubt he'll FANGk me for it SLAYter. He'd probably reward me with some CRYPTocurrency Eeeee hee hee hee hee

Here's what I've already watched!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash vs. The Evil Dead
My evening wound up rather more complicated than I planned, so I couldn't watch all of what I intended, but I was able to begin rewatching Ash vs. The Evil Dead. Which is both a very easy rec and almost the exact kind of thing I look for when choosing Halloweenmas Viewing. Give or take a Hamburger Dracula.

The shows a direct continuation of the movies (specifically Evil Dead 2), with Ash (who has become, if anything more pathetic, sleazy and arrogant with age) deciding to impress a woman he was trying to pick up at a bar by reading the poetry the Necronomicon, summoning the Evil Dead to the world once more.

Even if the plots a bit thin based on the first episode (mostly introducing the main cast, Show makes a solid first impression with that cast. Between Ashs obvious role as the idiot goofball, Pablo as his hype-man and the groups idealist, and Kelly as the straight-man, they work together pretty dang well.

And while the comedy comes from the heroes, the villains are genuinely terrifying (except the Bad CG Murder-Doll in the first episode, but that's just there as a goof). The scene where the police officers first encounter a deadite is almost artfully unnerving and most scenes involving them is chock-a-block with excessive violence and body-horror, if that's a deal-breaker.
Quote:
Originally Posted by From Dusk 'Til Dawn: The Series
The pilot of From Dusk 'til Dawn was, weirdly, both good and disappointing. Judging from it, and a brief look at episode summaries from later in the season, it seems to be a loose retelling of the movie, just stretched out to fill ten episodes.

After a cold-open involving an Aztec priest snake-murdering someone as part of a ritual back in old-times, the episode focuses on notorious bank robbers The Gecko Brothers (one is cool, the other dresses cool but is crazy) stop off at a liquor store but get held up when things go all Resevoir Dogs on them.

As is appropriate to the source material, there's little-if-anything to suggest this is a tale of boogens and goolies in the first episode; save for Crazy Brother periodically having (periodically sexy) prophetic visions about monsters, the focus is mainly on the hostage situation when Crazy Brother decides to escalate a brief snack-run with two police officers in the same store.

The whole thing was compelling enough that I was kept absorbed in the story, but I also kept asking when they're going to get to the fireworks factory.
Fireworks, in this case, referring to vampires.

I rate it a Neckbolt out of a possible Frankenstein.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Nightmare
I was disappointed in not being able to find the movies I was looking for on Netflix last night, so instead I watched Zombie Nightmare, starring Adam West, Tia Carrare and nobody else of consequence. It's a film in which a sports hero/doting son/vigilante crime fighter/owner of inexplicable shirts gets killed in a hit and run so his mother, as you do, contacts a voodoo priestess to resurrect him as a ZOMBIE REVENGE MACHINE. And what follows is 90 minutes of scenes totally unrelated to the plot as a Zomboman ambles after them and murders them with a baseball bat.

Shocking twist at the end is that Police Chief Adam West was dragging his feet on the case because he knew allll about the voodoo zombie crimewave affecting his city of "Anytown, Canada". He knew the local voodoo priestess and her ability to summon Revenge Zombies, and she has a personal beef with him, so he was going to wait until this zombie ran out of steam after getting committing too many murders and then arresting her for... err... voodoo crimes? So she summons some more revenge zombies, fresh out of the crypt, and they eat him instead.

The movie also had a weird framing device about a guy in a satellite watching all these events with his robot friends, and mostly making fun of the dialogue and characters. They didn't seem very important to the plot, but they were also by far the most enjoyable part of the film.
Edit/Delete Message
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scream
Somehow managed to go twenty one years without seeing Scream, so now I've decided to break that streak by watching Scream.

The concept of a horror movie antagonist obsessed with horror movie tropes is a very good one, but it's pretty late into the film before that becomes a focus. Prior to that the focus is on the fact that teenagers are the real monsters. Because, holy cripes, was almost the entire cast unlikeable.

I liked the backhalf of the film a lot, but the first half dragggggged.

I rate it a Boo out of a Possible Boogums
Quote:
Originally Posted by Childs Play 7: The Cult of Chucky
Eh, why not watch another tale of spooks and boogums as Child's Play 7: The Cult of Chucky was on Netflix. Despite being a new release. Never seen any of the previous Child's Play movies, but I felt I have a strong enough grasp on the franchise that I could just jump into the series with part 7.

...don't know what it says about horror movies that I can say a thing like that.

Anyway, film wasn't bad, but I always imagined the series as having a bit more of a dark comedy bend, like Nightmare on Elm Street. And there were elements of that, but it wasn't as pervasive as I was expecting. Plot followed one of the previous protagonists (I suppose?) as she's committed to an insane asylum for insisting that a child's doll was responsible for a number of murders. And while she comes to accept that she's crazy for asserting that, whoops, a bunch of inmates at the asylum have started getting murdered after a couple of new Chucky Dolls show up for (poorly considered) therapeutic purposes.

Movie had a few plot points that probably would have been clearer if I had seen a few of the earlier movies (like the fact that, despite being a possessed doll, Chucky is apparently full of meat), but there were a few notable scenes. Such as the drawer at the orderly station labeled "Sharp Things" full of scalpels that Chucky steals from before committing murders, and a woman who gets her entire spine ripped out through her mouth and is deemed a suicide because that's somehow easier for people to accept than a murderous doll.

I rate it a Gobot out of a possible Transformer
Edit/Delete Message
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Shop of Horrors
Little Shop of Horrors is... man... this movie is...

Geez now...

This movie is friggin' amazing. And it remains amazing, no matter how many times I see it. I've never seen any movie that impressed me with its visuals to the same extent as Audrey 2 did with this.

And they synced its mouth movements up to the music!

I give it the highest rating possible; Ten out of Ten Dracula Fangs
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Addams Family
The Addams Family is still one of my favorite... err... I’d say “horror comedies”, but that feels disingenuous. Creepy/kookie-comedies? But watching it immediately after the tour-de-force that is Little Shop dampens the impact of it a bit. The plot feels kind of off for an Addams Family Story, too

Plus, as much as I love it, Values is at least twice as good.

And it has Chris Loyd at his absolute hammiest getting left in the dust by Raul Julia.

It was very, but not quite all together ooky.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightmare on Elm Street
A Nightmare on Elm Street

Okay, so... I am more aware of Freddy Krueger as being a foul-mouthed, homicidal cartoon character he is in the later films. That's pretty much how he's always been marketed.

So imagine my surprise that the first movie is genuinely creepy and Krueger is a complete, loathsome monster.

The movie does an unexpectedly good job of building Freddy up as a villain throughout its runtime, long before they even hint at what he is. It's established pretty early on (like... by the title), however, that he's a living nightmare who is specifically targeting sleeping kids and from that moment on you've never quite sure which scene is really happening, and which one is a Freddy-induced nightmare, and the movie plays that up in a number of ways; (hallways that take way too long to run down, walls that distort themselves with Freddys image etc). Even the ending is left completely ambiguous as to whether Nancy managed to beat him, or if Freddy was just becoming more subtle with his manipulations.

Some of the visuals haven't aged especially well, but since they're all practical effects, most hold up extremely well or at least help establish how otherworldly Krueger is.

If I'm disappointed with anything about the movie, its that we didn't get a scene where the police chief wrote up Johnny Depps cause of death, or showing the EMTs trying to revive him. Both of which almost happened.

I rate it a 7/8 - Gonna Stay Up Late
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Monster of Frankenstein
The Monster of Frankenstein

Okay... Ooooooh boy.... This.... Takes some unpacking.

This is, apparently, an Italian/Japanese joint animated film that loosely adapts Frankenstein and takes some pretty friggin' generous liberties with the story.

First and foremost, the Monster is named Frankenstein (or at least Franken), and the scientist is named Dr. Victor. Also, the doctor looks for all the world like Ned Flanders.

Movie starts off with Dr. Victor and his assistant (not Igor, some other guy) completing their work on a 15-foot tall patchwork corpse-man and are immediately horrified to learn he looks Monsterous, so the doc tells his assistant to shoot it, old-yelled style, while he runs back to London. And the monster smushes the assistants head and pokes out his eyeball before running away. And the aide figures he must have killed it because it left him alone.

Hardly the least bit of spurious reasoning in this movie.

Back in London, Dr. Victor has random hallucinations about... You know... All the corpse mutilation he did and the monster he built, especially once there's evidence that the monster lived and is stalking him, terrorizing his family, murdering his pets and stomping on his flower garden.

Everyone is way more concerned about the smashed flower garden than the torn-apart puppy., and eventually the police (lead by the Worst Detective in the World, and who looks like Egghead from Batman '66) are called in. He spends the entire film completely failing to grasp obvious clues or accepting flimsy alibis regarding Victors relationship to the various crimes and the giant corpse-man who is committing them.

And, to be fair, it's never clear how many of the crimes were Frankensteins fault, as it turns out that Not-Igor survived his smushing/eyeball trauma and is now both terrorizing and blackmailing Victor with fake Frankenstein attacks to keep his corpse desecration secret. Victor is also given tenure at his university for his success at resurrecting dead bodies so this entire plot point escapes me. Luckily, it doesn't go too far because Franken did survive, stumbles upon Not-Igor and then smashes his head like a ripe melon.

Victor realizes that his corpse-man is still at large, so he grabs his blunderbus and heads off after it in the woods, meanwhile his daughter Adorable Child, and his father Blind Man are hanging out in his forest cottage which Frankenstein stumbles upon, and they immediately befriend him despite his monsterous appearance.

Adorable Child tries to teach Frankenstein about all the basic tenants of humanity, such as how to make bread, what a bird is, and how to pray to Jesus, while the blind man just offers vague speeches about judging people by their appearances or their history of strangling people to death.

Eventually, Adorable Child's boyfriend shows up, sees her hanging out with a giant corpse man and leaps to the wrong conclusion; gathers up a torch wielding mob and sets the forest on fire to kill it. Instead, they wind up killing Victors wife and possibly the blind man (it's unclear), and then the boyfriend tries to kill Franken with a pistol and Frank punches a hole through his chest in self defence.

Adorable Child, distraught over seeing a giant corpse man murder her entire social group (albeit mostly by accident), picks up the gun and shoots Frankensteins hand off, forcing him to flee to a church for sanctuary.

Frankenstein understands the concept of "sanctuary", incidentally, and he also starts praying to the massive golden crucifix that occupies the entire back wall. The camera also lingers on both Jesus' pierced hands and Frankensteins bloody arm-stump trying to draw a very confusing bit of symbolism.

Just then Professor Victor shows up again, blunderbus in tow, and shoots Frank again, forcing him to flee to Dragon Mountain, where they have their final showdown, eventually knocking one another off the mountains peak accusing them both to fall to their deaths right in front of the little girl, who has now lost her entire family and all her friends and her adorable puppy in the same weekend.

The movie then ends with a voice over by the Awful detective wondering who the real villain was in this story; the gigantic corpse monster who strangled a dozen people, or the people who judged him. Also, he briefly comments on, but doesn't seem overly concerned about the fate of the adorable child who just witnessed her entire extended family being murdered by a pile of people-giblets.

I rate it a Herman Munster out of a possible Gomez
Old 10-08-2017, 04:40 PM
Programmed to Jingle

I was aware of two things regarding A Nightmare on Elm Street 2: Freddys Revenge prior to watching; that it was both regarded as The Bad One and that it was also The Gay One. Which isn't totally warranted as while I've certainly seen worse horror movies, can't say I've seen any gayer.

It's not remotely subtle about that, yet most of the cast and crew were surprised to learn it's perceived that way.

That being said, while it wasn't bad, it was pretty frustrating. The movie threw out most of the rules firmly established by the first (and consequent) movie, and Freddys motivation while logical is totally at odds with whats presented in the film itself. Freddy wanting a real body again so he doesn't need to wait for people to fall asleep to kill is sensible, but he doesn't actually wait for anyone to fall asleep before warping reality around them.

While Freddy does induce some nightmares with strange, horrifying imagery, almost every single thing he does in the movie happens in the Real World. Normally fire and Courage are the only things that can repel Freddy, here he's attracted to heat and it's love that kills him.

The core of making a Good Horror Movie is either trying to figure out the rules of how the monster operates or subverting those rules to get rid of it. That doesn't work when you change everything about the character.

In a vacuum, this would have been regarded as one of the better class of 80s horror movies, as a Nightmare sequel, it's a huge letdown.

Full credit though; a lot of the visual effects were pretty friggin' cool to see.

I'd rate it a 1/2 Freddys Coming For You
Old 10-08-2017, 07:58 PM
Video Monster

yeah Freddy 1 is the closest to "actually good horror" that the series got, maybe with a couple of the sequels coming close.

The scene where Freddy is dragging Nancy's friend through the school hall in a bodybag is still legit frightening to me.

Also the ending received some executive meddling. There was apparently a "happy" ending and a "twist" ending filmed, and we got the twisty one. Since that happened, Craven left the series and didn't come back as director until the last one.

The rest vary in quality but I find all of them to at least be fun in a "what the fuck are they gonna do next" kinda way.

I agree that Freddy 2 is only bad in the context of the Freddy series - like Halloween III, it's fine if you take it on its own merits. It's got some great effects too.
Old 10-08-2017, 08:22 PM
????? LV 13 HP 292/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dracula View Post
Halloween III, it's fine if you take it on its own merits. It's got some great effects too.
I suppose it's weird that I like the Friday the 13th sequels but I feel pretty meh about the Halloween sequels that have Michael Myers.
Old 10-08-2017, 08:35 PM
Video Monster

Well, the thing is.

halloween, the first, is such a seminal movie that it just doesn't need any followup. Plus, Myers isn't such an interesting foe on his own. It's the framework that Carpenter created around him, the way he turned the usually idyllic scene of a 1970s suburb into a sort of purgatory where, at the gates of hell, you beat down the doors of your supposedly helpful and friendly neighbors, but still find yourself alone.

When you take that away and replace it with more characters running away from more Myers, it's just another slasher movie.

That said. I haven't bothered to watch any of the Myers sequels, so I'm working off of some preconceived notions here.

Film franchises like Jason and Freddy, though, generally aren't much more than what's on the tin. The creators of Friday the 13th literally started with "let's rip off Halloween." Freddy and Jason can support a series of films on their own merits, because it's interesting to watch how filmmakers will interpret the characters and mythos.

Also, buffet of prosthetic 80s effects and makeup.
Old 10-08-2017, 09:38 PM
till the sheriff stops by

My favourite part of Nightmare 2 is Freddy finally making it too the real world, trapping the teens in the pool area and then... taking out some frustration on decorative flowers.

And pool chairs

Anyway, I saw Predator 2 just now. Not really a horror film, I guess. I mean, there's a murderous space monster but it's really more of a REALLY dumb and kinda racist action film where a space monster starts hunting L.A. street gangs for sport. L.A. street gangs who are also rastas who dabble in voodoo. Hooboy. Danny Glover plays a part clearly meant for either Arnold or someone with his build, considering they find a guy hanging from a high ceiling and someone turns to Danny Glover and says "Even YOU couldn't have carried him up there." As if Danny Glover is the type of guy known for carrying heavy things.

Basically, it takes place in a world where the street gangs from the Warriors are deemed far too understated.

It's ridiculous, but it is also the closest we'll ever get to a Final Fight movie, considering that all of the henchman from that game got cast as extras in this movie.
Old 10-09-2017, 06:37 AM
Programmed to Jingle

What I like about Predator 2 is that Predator is basically Batman in it

Except that Batman’s modus operandi doesn’t usually involve polishing anyone’s skulls for his trophy room after he thwarts a criminal.
Old 10-09-2017, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
What I like about Predator 2 is that Predator is basically Batman in it

Except that Batman’s modus operandi doesn’t usually involve polishing anyone’s skulls for his trophy room after he thwarts a criminal.
Yeah, that's really much more of a Super Chicken MO. Sadly, they never really explored that in the series...
Old 10-09-2017, 07:53 AM
#deadfish2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
give it a couple of years
Old 10-09-2017, 10:46 AM
Programmed to Jingle

Laurence Fishbourne, Zsa Zsa Gabor, Patricia Arquette and Dick Cavett (with soundtrack by Dokken)... the night sky is dark because all the stars are in Nightmare on Elm Street 3: The Dream Warriors.

And it is wonderful

It's the movie that both establishes Krueger as the murderous cartoon he's always portrayed as, and reads far less as a horror movie than as a (particularly violent) superhero movie. Not as violent as, say Watchmen, but far moreso than Superman IV.

Movie establishes pretty quickly the basics of the plot (as, by now the audience knows what to expect from the series) and most of the cast is pretty quick to accept that, yes, there is a nightmare ghost murdering kids in their dreams, so a sizable chunk of the film is instead dedicated to Heather Langancamp (back from the first movie, and with a doctorate in sleep therapy, proving she really pulled herself together after having her best friends murdered by a ghost a a couple of years previously) turning those kids into a superhero team with magical Dream powers they can use to kill him back WHILE ALSO the head psychologist at the asylum they're all confined to figures out (from a kinder ghost) that Freddy is The Bastard Son of One Hundred Maniacs (AMAZING) and can only be killed properly by consecrating the ground Freddy was buried in.

This means that the final battle is between a super-strong Freddy (fed on the souls of the huge number of people he's killed since the first movie) and the remaining Dream Warriors in the dream world, and his skeleton, dispatched with flaming holy water in a junkyard that is a straight-up Castlevania boss fight.

Besides the fact that Wes Craven clearly has a much firmer grasp on the character than whoever handled Nightmare 2 did, the visuals were top-notch, and most of Freddys manipulations displayed a huge amount of creativity. Hard to pick a favorite moment. The Wizard Master is an obvious choice, but it was actually considerably tamer than everything else in the film.

I give the movie a 9/10: Never Gonna Sleep Again
Old 10-09-2017, 03:45 PM
ah’m margaret wartahm

I loved ANoES 3. Childhood staple. I hold 3-5 in higher regard than I should, but the heart wants what it wants. I think I'd gladly re-watch any of those before the good one(s? was New Nightmare good?).

Of those, 3 certainly the best. It's beautiful and spooky and makes papier-mâché seem impossibly glamorous.

I don't think I revisited 2 when I re-watched most of the series a bit ago. 3-5 were like a teen soap, New Nightmare blew my mind when I was 6, but I only rented 2 and 6 later and not that often. They left less of an impression on me. I know 2's very gay by reputation, (not sure I picked up on this as a child) but I'm just bummed out that Freddy gets defeated, but not really, with the power of heterosexuality. Oh well.

Love Scream. Not enough to keep up with the dreadful TV series.

There's a Child's play 7? News to me! Didn't really like Child's Play 6 and that was definitely a more serious film than the previous two. Not surprising 7 shares that tone, as it seems like they share a protagonist. I adore Bride/Seed of Chucky so much. (the most explicitly comedic of the films, particularly Seed) Bride is probably better, but I prefer Seed and Jennifer Tilly's unflattering self-portrayal. Also, Bride has a gay character who fully accepts his sexuality until he gets smashed to bits by a truck. Point: this franchise.
Old 10-09-2017, 03:50 PM
Programmed to Jingle

I'm really looking forward to reaching New Nightmare, as it's apparently Scream and Cabin in the Woods combined, except it predates both by years.
Old 10-09-2017, 03:59 PM
Video Monster

New Nightmare is capital-G good, but is less campy than the previous films. (A good and bad thing)
Old 10-09-2017, 04:03 PM
ah’m margaret wartahm

I feel foolish for even questioning this now that I'm thinking about it. Parents: show it to your children. (or don't!)
Old 10-09-2017, 05:56 PM
King Of Space-Time

I'll link Movie Bob's Schlocktober series here. I'll skip embedding though.

MONKEYSHINES (1988)

THE SEVENTH CURSE (1986)
Old 10-09-2017, 09:24 PM

Krampus

A mostly fun Holiday horror flick. I think my only problem is the climax leaves a little to be desired. I mean Krampus just forgiving the main character is a little anticlimactic. I'm not even saying that Krampus wouldn't do that, but the last bit feels like the writer wrote himself into a corner and decided to go with the "It was all a dream... OR WAS IT?" ending. Other than that, it really was a fun little film with some top notch monster designs.
Old 10-09-2017, 09:37 PM
Video Monster

Saw that for the first time this year too. Didn't like it quite as much as Trick r Treat, but still good.

The krampus costume on its own makes it worth watching.
Old 10-09-2017, 09:45 PM
This Guy

I think An American Werewolf in London is fairly well thought of, but it didn't do a lot for me. It felt like the movie got in the way of the elaborate transformation scenes and zombie make up, and then it just sort of stopped.
Old 10-09-2017, 10:13 PM
????? LV 13 HP 292/

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavelsAreNeat View Post
New Nightmare blew my mind when I was 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by NavelsAreNeat View Post
I feel foolish for even questioning this now that I'm thinking about it. Parents: show it to your children.
But maybe not your 6 year olds.
Old 10-10-2017, 04:59 AM
Programmed to Jingle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Unusual View Post
Krampus

A mostly fun Holiday horror flick. I think my only problem is the climax leaves a little to be desired. I mean Krampus just forgiving the main character is a little anticlimactic. I'm not even saying that Krampus wouldn't do that, but the last bit feels like the writer wrote himself into a corner and decided to go with the "It was all a dream... OR WAS IT?" ending. Other than that, it really was a fun little film with some top notch monster designs.
The lesson that movie has to teach us is to make sure you keep the Christmas Spirit in your heart at all times.

Or else you will certainly be killed.
Old 10-10-2017, 05:41 AM

This is also the lesson of Shane Black movies.
Old 10-10-2017, 09:31 AM
Gesundheit!

I just saw Frankenstein and Bride of Frankenstein for the first time, and on the big screen. I basically already knew the first in its entirety from general cultural saturation, and plenty of Bride is directly referenced in Young Frankenstein as well. I was also surprised at how funny Bride was, as well as the weird meta touch of opening with Lord Byron and the Shelleys.

I know pretty much nothing about what classic horror/monster movies are worth watching, Universal or otherwise. Anyone have any recommendations?
Old 10-10-2017, 09:36 AM
Programmed to Jingle

The Hammer films from the 60s tend to be pretty good, and pleasantly zippy.

And, frankly, Christopher Lee is the best Dracula.
Old 10-10-2017, 09:39 AM
Gesundheit!

I was thinking more of the '30s/'40s variety, Lugosi, Karloff et al. But I definitely want to see some Hammer horror as well.
Old 10-10-2017, 09:52 AM

To me, all nightmare on elm street movies are good nightmare on elm street movies (except for the remake).

They're all imaginative with at least one or two really fun set-pieces per film and typically downplay the sleaze and promises of titillation that was part and parcel with the slasher craze of the 80s. Part 5 even manages to fit a surprisingly tasteful discussion about abortion into the mix~

Freddy's Dead is so brazen in it's early-90's "Oh, gives a fuck" slacker direction (See also: Jason Goes To Hell, Hellraiser 3, and Super Mario Brothers: The Movie) that it ends up actually being charming.

New Nightmare is fantastic, a lot of homages paid to a lot of really great horror in it (spot the Nosferatu callback!)
Old 10-10-2017, 11:18 AM

I like New Nightmare, but I feel it weakens a bit in the final act when it becomes woman V. boogeyman. Nothing wrong with that genre, but I found everything leading up to it so much better than the finale.
Old 10-10-2017, 12:51 PM
ah’m margaret wartahm

Freddy's got some severe mission creep in Freddy's Dead, which bums me out. Freddy only ever wanted to kill a limited number of teens, but suddenly, he's killed ALL OF this town's? Including 5's survivors? Lisa's random friend? I love it when surprising people survive and die in horror movies. H8 to see that negated off-screen. (apparently, they survive in some licensed comics, which absolutely do not count)

New Nightmare's got some weak special effects at the end, but thinking about it, I love the final moment.
Old 10-10-2017, 03:18 PM
Video Monster

@taosterman

Cinemassacre's various Monster Madness series covers nearly all of the Universal series over its various iterations - I'd recommend scanning over those vids to get a good sense of the history and quality of the series.

Failing that, watch The Mummy and The Wolfman. Also The Invisible Man.
Old 10-10-2017, 03:22 PM
Programmed to Jingle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dracula View Post
Failing that, watch The Mummy and The Wolfman. Also The Invisible Man.
Not the recommendations I would expect from you...
Old 10-10-2017, 03:41 PM
Video Monster

Let's be honest.

Dracula is borne by the will of Bela Lugosi's performance alone, and is otherwise a pretty rough movie.

I love watching it, for obvious reasons, but it's not the best of the Universals

Tags
boo! , crypt currency , haints and gerblins , octo-good , spoop your pants off , super booglies n gerblins