The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about TV and film

Old 10-04-2017, 04:02 PM
Programmed to Jingle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaeran View Post
The Drew Barrymore bait 'n' switch was a big deal back in the day. That entire opening sequence is amazing.
I'd have been surprised by that but, well, Psycho exists.
Old 10-04-2017, 06:13 PM
Programmed to Jingle

Eh, why not watch another tale of spooks and boogums as Child's Play 7: The Cult of Chucky was on Netflix. Despite being a new release. Never seen any of the previous Child's Play movies, but I felt I have a strong enough grasp on the franchise that I could just jump into the series with part 7.

...don't know what it says about horror movies that I can say a thing like that.

Anyway, film wasn't bad, but I always imagined the series as having a bit more of a dark comedy bend, like Nightmare on Elm Street. And there were elements of that, but it wasn't as pervasive as I was expecting. Plot followed one of the previous protagonists (I suppose?) as she's committed to an insane asylum for insisting that a child's doll was responsible for a number of murders. And while she comes to accept that she's crazy for asserting that, whoops, a bunch of inmates at the asylum have started getting murdered after a couple of new Chucky Dolls show up for (poorly considered) therapeutic purposes.

Movie had a few plot points that probably would have been clearer if I had seen a few of the earlier movies (like the fact that, despite being a possessed doll, Chucky is apparently full of meat), but there were a few notable scenes. Such as the drawer at the orderly station labeled "Sharp Things" full of scalpels that Chucky steals from before committing murders, and a woman who gets her entire spine ripped out through her mouth and is deemed a suicide because that's somehow easier for people to accept than a murderous doll.

I rate it a Gobot out of a possible Transformer
Old 10-04-2017, 07:12 PM
Nonplussed

Quote:
Originally Posted by chud_666 View Post
like 10 years ago. I found it really disturbing. That head on a stick line was insane.
Yeah, and the associated giant knife severing her spinal cord was brutal.
Old 10-04-2017, 10:12 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matchstick View Post
Yeah, and the associated giant knife severing her spinal cord was brutal.
Indeed! A remarkable feat considering how little they showed!
Old 10-04-2017, 11:50 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Default She Wolf of London

She Wolf of London - I was for sure, I mean for sure, that this movie would have at least one werewolf in it. I mean for Goddess' sake its called 'She Wolf of London!'

But, alas titles are a lie.

There are no werewolves in this movie. But there are some dogs. I don't think they play any role other than diversion/distraction but they are there. And the movie does center around the possibility of there being a werewolf. Specifically, a She Wolf. But, again, that's just to throw the viewer off.

The movie centers on a young Victorian lady in London (shocker) who believes that her family is cursed and that said curse has finally begun to effect her life. The curse is never really explained but its hinted that it has something to do with wolves. Though if that means werewolf or not is never quite clear. Our young lady though, certainly does think that is what is happening and all the murders taking place in the park next to her house kinda reinforce her thoughts.

Turns out! And here comes spoilers for a movie that is most likely old enough to be your grandma... The lady is being gaslighted by her aunt into thinking she is a werewolf! Why? Well, she wants to keep living in this sweet mansion watching over our little lady and if said lady gets married she is worried her ass will be out on the street. So, instead she commits a series of grisly murders, makes them appear to be by an animal/lady and then does a number of things to make our poor little lady think that it is her.

Because this is a movie made in the 1940s though the wicked aunt spills the beans right before she goes to kill the lady, is overheard, and then conveniently trips down a flight of stairs while running with a knife. (Sidebar - don't run with a knife it's dangerous. Sheath it first. That's just common sense. Only takes a second to unsheath it.)

With the evil aunt dead, and the young lady reassured that she is no the She Wolf of London she is free to marry her rich, hot boyfriend who is the son of a Lord.

Happy ending for everyone! Except for the aunt who is dead, and all the poor random blokes she killed in the park all because she couldn't have a frank and open conversation about her fears of losing affordable housing.

Despite having no werewolves this is a tense psychological thriller that I don't feel gets enough credit for exploring themes of madness, dependence, and the unreliability of our own senses and feelings at times. While there is no supernatural horror in this movie there is the creeping horror that our own friends and family can betray us and that we will only too easily help them along.

I give this movie zero out of ten werewolves. But 8 out 10 Gaslights.
Old 10-05-2017, 07:30 AM
Tell me about your mother

Here are some movies that have appropriately wolfy-sounding titles, and deliver on werewolves being present:

-An American Werewolf in London
-The Howling series
-The Company of Wolves
-Wolfcop
Old 10-05-2017, 08:27 AM
Programmed to Jingle

Didn’t Brotherhood of the Wolf have werewolves?

Or did it just have a spine that was also a whip and sword?
Old 10-05-2017, 11:39 AM
#deadfish2017

I never knew Flawgic was so thirsty for a werewolfe
Old 10-05-2017, 11:45 AM
Programmed to Jingle

Little Shop of Horrors is... man... this movie is...

Geez now...

This movie is friggin' amazing. And it remains amazing, no matter how many times I see it. I've never seen any movie that impressed me with its visuals to the same extent as Audrey 2 did with this.

And they synced its mouth movements up to the music!

I give it the highest rating possible; Ten out of Ten Dracula Fangs
Old 10-05-2017, 12:00 PM
Video Monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
I give it the highest rating possible; Ten out of Ten Dracula Fangs
Despite the very essence of me being used to rate this horror master piece, i STILL HAVEN'T SEEN IT SOMEHOW
Old 10-05-2017, 06:13 PM
Nonplussed

She Wolf of London

This may be my favorite of all the movies we've watched so far. As Flawgic says, it's a snappy thriller with a fun mystery. Plus the gaslit woman is June Lockhart (does that mean anything to anybody besides me?)!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falselogic View Post
I give this movie zero out of ten werewolves. But 8 out 10 Gaslights.
Thumbs up for this, especially referencing Gaslight, which if people haven't seen it, they totally should.

Quote:
Didn’t Brotherhood of the Wolf have werewolves?

Or did it just have a spine that was also a whip and sword?
I don't remember, since I almost killed myself while watching it, because I was so bored and annoyed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dracula View Post
Despite the very essence of me being used to rate this horror master piece, i STILL HAVEN'T SEEN IT SOMEHOW
Well, now you have homework (you really should see it).
Old 10-05-2017, 06:18 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki View Post
I never knew Flawgic was so thirsty for a werewolfe
I'm not thirsty for werewolves. I just expect movies whose titles implicitly or explicitly reference werewolves to have a werewolf in them!

I don't think that is too much.
Old 10-05-2017, 07:01 PM
Video Monster

Matchstick -

My family watched all of Lost in Space on Columbia House VHS, so you're not alone in June Lockhart appreciation
Old 10-05-2017, 08:31 PM
????? LV 13 HP 292/

Quote:
She Wolf of London - I was for sure, I mean for sure, that this movie would have at least one werewolf in it. I mean for Goddess' sake its called 'She Wolf of London!'
Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS would disappoint you on so many levels.

Quote:
Because this is a movie made in the 1940s though the wicked aunt spills the beans right before she goes to kill the lady, is overheard, and then conveniently trips down a flight of stairs while running with a knife. (Sidebar - don't run with a knife it's dangerous. Sheath it first. That's just common sense. Only takes a second to unsheath it.)
I wonder if it would be more or less dangerous to put it between your teeth and run. Or I suppose you could just try throwing it but then you better hope you hit the mark or have some extra knives handy.
Old 10-05-2017, 11:38 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Default The Blackcoat's Daughter

The Blackcoat's Daughter - Ooooof. This movie. Ninety minutes of rising terror. And the end, while there is katharsis, it is not a comforting one.

The story opens at a Catholic school for girls. Winter holiday is coming up and students are expecting their parents to arrive and take them home for a week or so. One of these students, Kat, has a vision or dream wherein her 'father' wakes her and shows her a wrecked car. Presumably of her parents.

Another student at the school, Rose, has lied to her parents about the day of the end of the quarter because she might be pregnant and she needs the extra day/time to figure out how to tell her boyfriend and procure an abortion.

The day ends with Kat and Rose being left at the school in the care of two nuns. While the rest of the students, faculty, and headmaster leave. During the next 24 hours, we see a sharp deterioration of Kat. She looks ill and she seems unable to listen or answer to anyone. She also starts to get creepy.

Around this time our third main protagonist, Joan, is introduced. She's getting off a bus at a terminal and walking into the bathroom. In the bathroom we see her pull a hospital tag off her wrist. Once outside again she is picked up by a couple who is headed in the same direction she is. Which just so happens to be towards the school where Kat and Rose are.

The movie begins flashing back and forth between these three points of view. We see Kat worshipping the school furnace, we see Rose get creeped out by her but also find out she is not pregnant, we see Joan get closer to the school AND learn that her story is taking place 9 years after Rose and Kat's story.

We also learn that Kat worships Satan and killed Rose and the two Nuns. Decapitating them and putting their heads by the furnace. When a policeman shows up with the headmaster (it is implied because they have learned of the death of Kat's parents) and sees all this. He tells Kat to put the knife down and she yells 'Hail Satan' at him he shoots her.

We also learn that the couple that picked up Joan are Rose's parents and they are headed to the school where they go every year on the anniversary of Rose's death. And then we learn, but actually not really because we had already figured this out beforehand because we are very savvy movie watchers, that Joan is Kat!

Oh, and she kills Rose's parents and decapitates them too. Dragging their heads to the now-closed school and trying to worship the furnace. But it is out. (the furnace is a symbol for Satan)

The movie then cuts back to a scene of Kat in a mental institute where a priest performs an exorcism on her. And we see 'something' leave her. Then a quick cut to Joan who is wandering the road where finally she stops and begins screaming/crying in anguish.

It's rough.

This summary does not do The Blackcoat's Daughter justice. The slow burn of the story, the fantastic performances by the actresses who played Kat, Rose, and Joan, the dissonant soundtrack, and subtle camera play. And that final scene with Joan screaming in frustration and sadness at the end.

This is a movie about loss and isolation. Kat is looking for a place to belong and at every turn, it is taken from her until the only 'person' left who is there for her is 'Satan'. But the story doesn't end there.

Even 'Satan' is taken away from Kat. Joan's journey back to her school after being let out, her murdering of Rose's parents. It all seems as if she is trying to win back the acceptance of the demonic entity. But, it doesn't come back and at the end, she is truly alone.

I give this 5 out of 5 disembodied heads.
Old 10-05-2017, 11:59 PM
Good Bee

Quote:
The Blackcoat's Daughter
Finally, one of these I've seen!

It is very good. Showed up on a lot of best-horror-movies-of-the-year lists, which is how I found out about it.

That exorcism scene is one of the best I've ever seen. Calm, but intense. I was surprised to see an exorcism scene, one of the most tired horror movie tropes at this point, really stand out.
Old 10-06-2017, 12:04 AM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by krelbel View Post
Finally, one of these I've seen!

It is very good. Showed up on a lot of best-horror-movies-of-the-year lists, which is how I found out about it.

That exorcism scene is one of the best I've ever seen. Calm, but intense. I was surprised to see an exorcism scene, one of the most tired horror movie tropes at this point, really stand out.
For sure! It's memorable just for how calm it is. And I don't think it needed to be fireworks and flailing. The movies slow build of terror is really there in the room and doing all the heavy lifting. When the thing is standing there and turns away. It hits hard.
Old 10-06-2017, 05:51 AM
Programmed to Jingle

The Addams Family is still one of my favorite... err... I’d say “horror comedies”, but that feels disingenuous. Creepy/kookie-comedies? But watching it immediately after the tour-de-force that is Little Shop dampens the impact of it a bit. The plot feels kind of off for an Addams Family Story, too

Plus, as much as I love it, Values is at least twice as good.

And it has Chris Loyd at his absolute hammiest getting left in the dust by Raul Julia.

It was very, but not quite all together ooky.
Old 10-06-2017, 06:38 AM
till the sheriff stops by

Quote:
EhAnyway, film wasn't bad, but I always imagined the series as having a bit more of a dark comedy bend, like Nightmare on Elm Street. And there were elements of that, but it wasn't as pervasive as I was expecting.
That definitely was a part of the franchise. They dipped SUPER heavily into it with Bride of Chucky and Seed of Chucky, which are basically just horror-comedies, and sadly, not particularly good ones. The latter features Chucky's trans son and how Chucky tries to get him to become a murderer and takes the role of Archie Bunker in the relationship. It's... not good.

In fact, keeping in mind I haven't seen the last two, I don't think any of them are. Chucky's whole origin story is completely dumb (a serial killer uses voodoo magic to become a doll and tries to put his soul into a character in the movie is not nearly as scary as "doll is alive and wants to murder you") and none of them seem to be smart about what they want to say. To be fair, none of them seem to want to say anything. And that's not necessarily bad, but it's a shame, because apparently it started with the seed of a good idea, which was the screen writer seeing "My Buddy" dolls and thinking how insidious it was that they were marketing "friends" to children. That NEVER really comes through in the movies. Almost in the first, but even then, barely.

I will say, I like the second one, which is super dumb but has enough energy to be really fun, as well as one gag that makes me laugh.

Great pokerface there, Chuck.

Anyway, for some reason, I guess they tried to be geniunely scary in the last two films. Its funny, though, because when I finally sat down and watched the films, I realized despite being as scared as fuck of Chucky as a child, horror is not really that franchises bread and butter. I don't think there's a good Child's Play movie (except for number two, and even then with a big caveat of it being stupid) but I think there's potential for one of them to be really great if someone can properly balance actual scares with the camp that the series is known for.
Old 10-06-2017, 06:44 AM
Safe Space

I love how more and more people are recognizing that Gomez and Morticia have one of the healthiest romantic relationships depicted on screen.
Old 10-06-2017, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Büge View Post
I love how more and more people are recognizing that Gomez and Morticia have one of the healthiest romantic relationships depicted on screen.
I know, right? Also, I argued that Gomez Addams is my platonic ideal of a dad. JBear just gave me a look when I told him this.
Old 10-06-2017, 07:53 AM
Video Monster

The Addams Family is a pure and holy movie, and the second one is good too.
Old 10-06-2017, 08:30 AM
Bertolli?!?...

I made this joke in IRC yesterday thinking that someone else must have come up with it before me, but no one else had heard it before. I kind of can't believe that this isn't an existing meme:

Old 10-06-2017, 08:55 AM
does the Underpants Dance

That is indeed a head scratcher.

The Blackcoat's Daughter sounds good, and it turns out my local Alamo Drafthouse is screening it in a couple weeks. Neato.
Old 10-06-2017, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBear View Post
I made this joke in IRC yesterday thinking that someone else must have come up with it before me, but no one else had heard it before. I kind of can't believe that this isn't an existing meme:

Old 10-06-2017, 10:20 AM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by YangusKhan View Post
That is indeed a head scratcher.

The Blackcoat's Daughter sounds good, and it turns out my local Alamo Drafthouse is screening it in a couple weeks. Neato.
I heartily recommend it.
Old 10-06-2017, 03:54 PM
Nonplussed

The Blackcoat's Daughter

I went to see Blade Runner 2049 last night, so I didn't get a chance to watch this until this afternoon (I literally just finished watching it now). I didn't like it as much as Flawgic or others here. I'm fine with a slow burn (I love House of the Devil and dug The Innkeepers), but it didn't completely come together for me. Mainly, I think it's the fact that it didn't come across to me that Joan and Kat were the same. I thought about it at one point and decided she wasn't because Joan didn't seem sufficiently older and their eyebrows were so different. I apparently missed the driver's license reveal. Normally, I'm the one explaining these twists to other people, so I don't know what happened here. It certainly makes the last scene make more sense if that's the case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by krelbel View Post
Yep, that's why I added it to the list.

Quote:
Agreed. It was very good.
Old 10-07-2017, 02:19 AM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Default The Conjuring

The Conjuring - Now it has been a long time since I took a vocab test but I am almost positive that the definition of 'conjure' is to call or command a spirit or demon by means of a spell of some sort.

This is just the first problem with The Conjuring which doesn't contain a single instance of conjuring.

But, I am getting ahead of myself. The movie, based on a true story, opens with a story of a creepy possessed doll (which I have now learned also has its own movie) that was exorcised with the help of Ed and Lorraine Warren who, I guess, are famous paranormal investigators or demon hunters or something. You might remember them from such Hollywood confabulations as the 'Amityville Horror,' 'Annabelle,' 'the Conjuring 2,' and 'The Haunting in Connecticut.' Or if you attend paranormal or supernatural conventions. These two sell the books let me tell you!

Back to the movie, after what seems to be a trailer for the Annabelle movie this movie begins. With Roger, Carolyn and the five daughter Perrons moving into a creepy home in Rhode Island. They don't seem to notice how creepy their house is though. Despite it you know being hella run down and creepy and their dog, Sadie, refusing to go inside.

It's like no one in a horror film has ever seen a horror film.

Then, of course, all the creepy stuff you have come to expect from these kinds of movies starts to happen. Doors open, doors close. There are lots of creakings and bangings. Bruises appear mysteriously. Sleeping children are pushed and prodded. There is a smell of rotting meat. Clocks all stop at the same time. Sadie ends up dead in the backyard. And just as it always happens in these sorts of movies things quickly escalate. The children are assaulted by spirits or demons (its never quite clear and the movie contradicts itself more than once on this point.)

Eventually, though the Perrons are suitably terrified enough to look for help and this is where the Warren come back in. Carolyn seeks them out at a lecture they are presenting on demons and begs them for help. They agree and as soon as they arrive at the Perrons' house Lorraine starts seeing the crazy shit. Ghostly clouds, little boy ghosts in mirrors. a woman hanging from a tree out back. What I am trying to say is that there is some seriously bad juju here.

The Warrens are in to help. But before they can get an exorcism (I think this is their only move. Ghost? Exorcism. Doll? Exorcism. Demons? Exorcism. Termite Infestation? Exorcism.) But they can't just run down to their local Catholic priest emporium. They've got to collect evidence. And by evidence, I mean bells, black lights, and poorly shot cinema. Once they get the evidence they can go to the Catholic Church and ask for a special priest. The one snag is that the Perrons aren't Catholic... Awkward. You'd think if your house was under the control of a supernatural entity and the only cure was Catholicism you'd join up right quick...

Hrm. But they didn't. Weird, right?

The Warrens go home to research and get all their gear. They find out that the house the Perrons moved into was once occupied by Bathsheba a descendant of a Salem Witch *shocker* who sacrificed her day old child to the devil and then hung herself when she was caught by her husband. As she was choking or having her neck broken by the hanging she said she'd kill anyone who took her land. (Who knows when or why Bathsheba became an advocate for rentier capitalism. I don't think that's a normal part of the whole devil worship thing...)

Does anyone find it odd that there always happens to be a stenographer around when these curses are placed? A farm in rural 1860s Rhode Island no one there but the husband and wife. Yet, somehow we know exactly what she was saying at the time of her death?

Also, also, does anyone find it odd that a man could court, marry, live and procreate with a person and never pick up on the fact that they worshipped the dark lord himself? I would have figured that when he was discussing names with her and she kept shrugging or saying 'how about meatsack or Lucifer's true delight?' That a red flag or two would have popped up. Communication is key to a healthy relationship. With a witch or not.

The Warrens come back and they've got all their gear, a cop, and a college student. They are ready to get evidence. They rig the whole house up. And of course, nothing much happens on the first night. (Except Carolyn Perron gets possessed but shhh. no one knows) The next night things go crazy. Ghost and spirits and demons everywhere (again the movie is never clear) and they get some baller footage. The Perrons go to stay in a hotel and the Warrens go to show this sweet evidence to a Priest.

Our priest is duly impressed. Supernatural shit is off the hook. But, the Perrons aren't Catholic. Just like Jesus teaches in the Bible, "Forget about that one lost sheep. It deserves to be eaten by ghosts and demons." The Warrens persist and the priest says he'll see what he can do.

Meanwhile, Carolyn has left the hotel with two of the kids without telling anyone where she went. Roger calls the Warrens and is all "help" I've never seen a horror movie; I have no idea what to do. While all the people watching who don't have their eyes closed are screaming at him to get back to the creepy house and save his kids.

And that is exactly what Roger and the Warrens do. They get there just in time to stop Carolyn from killing one of the girls. They put her in the car outside the other one kind of disappears and everyone now has to deal with definitely possessed Carolyn. Who is super strong, super cranky, and has a serious dermatological problem now.

One problem, that's right! No priest. Ed Warren steps up and says he'll do the exorcism. And he mostly does it and it mostly works. There are some setbacks. The house is surrounded by ravens, crows, and pigeons that occasionally slam into the windows, Carolyn vomits blood all over, Carolyn escapes finds her second daughter (the one who disappeared), minor bumps.

But they do succeed. Carolyn is free and the demons, spirits, ghosts (?) Leave the house. Everybody wins.

Except, no, they don't. The dog is dead. Sadie, the adorable pooch who never hurt anyone and didn't even go in the house is killed in the first 20 minutes of this awful, terrible film.

The Conjuring is awarded no points and may God have mercy on the script writer's soul.

Oh, and there are two are three subplots that build up but never go anywhere. And the ghosts, spirits, demons, all look like rejects from one of 'The Ring' movies. There is no internal consistency. But who cares they killed Sadie! They killed Sadie?!. I can't even!

Stop killing animals as a shortcut to your dumb horror drama!
Old 10-07-2017, 06:02 AM

A lot of people seemed to like the Conjuring, but it left me pretty cold. I remember being pretty excited when I saw the first trailer where the woman was trapped in the basement with the "clap clap" game going on. Then less so with the subsequent trailer that had paranormal investigators and claimed to be "inspired by true events". Eyeroll. Anyway, saw it with a couple friends. They seemed to like it but apart from looking good, I just didn't care all that much. But people seem to like it.

Also, is it just me or do a lot of ghosts in big Hollywood ghost movies look the same in the last two decades? It's all skinny, chalky people with black eyes who jump scare people. I'm not even against a good jump scare, I'm just tired of being expected that the generic looking chalky, skinny naked people popping up from behind is super scary.

Anyway, I had a rough day yesterday. Then I remembered I borrowed Evil Dead II from the library. That was a nice pick me up. I love a lot of the movie is a one-man show with Campbell.
Old 10-07-2017, 10:29 AM
Nonplussed

The Conjuring

Man, we're not even done with the first week and I sense a marked divide in what Falsie and I dig in horror movies. I rate this as one of my favorites of all time. Even rewatching it, I found it incredibly creepy and dripping with atmosphere.

Quote:
The children are assaulted by spirits or demons (its never quite clear and the movie contradicts itself more than once on this point.)
Quote:
Oh, and there are two are three subplots that build up but never go anywhere. And the ghosts, spirits, demons, all look like rejects from one of 'The Ring' movies. There is no internal consistency.
There are multiple things going on here, because Bathsheba's curse (which I've always presumed was the thing conjured) caused multiple people to murder their children, so the parents and children appear at various times (Rory is an example of the latter who isn't actually doing anything malevolent, but is interacting with the youngest daughter), but Bathsheba is also in play, because she's trying to make it happen again. I agree that they are free with using demon in reference to Bathsheba.

Tags
flawgic = 5 , flawgic is awful , flawgic is wrong , flawgicwatchedthis.jpg , haints and gerblins , spoop your pants off , unreadable on tapatalk