The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about TV and film

Old 09-30-2017, 02:26 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Default The Return of Falselogic's Spoilerific Halloween Movie Mania Madness 2017

Once again it is time for Falselogic's remedial horror movie watching! This time joined by Matchstick!

This October I will be watching a Horror/Halloween movie every day of the month. I'll be putting down my thoughts and impressions here.

There will be spoilers so there you go youve been warned. This year I do know what I will be watching and the list is below. I encourage all to participate if you want to

All I ask is that you don't post your thoughts on that day's movie until after I and Matchstick have. Many of these are still my very first viewing and I'd like to keep my thoughts/impressions as much 'mine' as possible.

Thank you and a Spoopy Halloween to you!

The List

1 - The Black Cat (1934)
2 - Rabid
3 - Wolf Creek
4 - She Wolf of London
5 - The Blackcoatís Daughter
6 - The Conjuring
7 - The Haunting (1990/1963)
8 - Dawn of the Dead (1978)
9 - Ouija: Origin of Evil
10 - The Exorcist (1973)
11 - Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978)
12 - The Legend of Boggy Creek
13 - The Shining
14 - Peeping Tom
15 - Starry Eyes
16 - Carrie
17 - The Orphanage
18 - IT
19 - Phantasm
20 - The Devilís Backbone
21 - What We Do in the Shadows
22 - Train to Busan
23 - Donít Look Now
24 - The Loved Ones
25 - Deep Red
26 - Blair Witch Project
27 - Night of the Hunter
28 - Split
29 - Krampus
30 - The Purge - Election Year
31 - They Look Like People

Last edited by Falselogic; 10-07-2017 at 08:50 PM.
Old 09-30-2017, 05:02 PM
d.o_o.b

Are you watching The Black Cat from 1934, 1941, or 1981?
Old 09-30-2017, 05:28 PM
Hungry in Dungeon

Nice list
Old 09-30-2017, 06:11 PM
till the sheriff stops by

Also which Invasion of the Body Snatchers. And Dawn of the Dead.
Old 09-30-2017, 08:25 PM
Nonplussed

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquid View Post
That was Flawgic's pick, so I'm not sure, but only the 1934 one looks to be easily streamable, so I'll guess it's that one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Unusual View Post
Also which Invasion of the Body Snatchers. And Dawn of the Dead.
1978 for both. I've updated the list for those two.
Old 09-30-2017, 08:34 PM
💀S☠K💀E☠L💀E☠T💀O☠N💀

AAAAAAWWWWWWWWWW FUK NUMBER 13
Old 09-30-2017, 08:39 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquid View Post
The 1934 one.
Old 09-30-2017, 08:39 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAT View Post
AAAAAAWWWWWWWWWW FUK NUMBER 13
is this an excited FUK or an 'I hate this' FUK?
Old 09-30-2017, 08:54 PM
till the sheriff stops by

Punctuation makes all the difference, doesn't it? Don't listen to Beat, False, The Shining is a great movie. Also, its secretly about how Stanley Kubrick faked the moon landing and them made an entire coded movie to tell us this. According to stupids.

Also, I love this. There are spoilers and fake special effects nudity, but its great.
Old 10-01-2017, 06:16 AM
Programmed to Jingle

The Shining didn't drive Jack Nicholson nearly as crazy as it did the movies fans.

For my part; I decided to watch some Seasonally Spooky Netflix original series. I managed to get, like, ten or fifteen minutes into Van Helsing (no relation to the movie) before declaring it to be "really stupid" and turning it off. Have off a strong Walking Dead vibe, except with vampires instead of zombies. Also, the vampires acted like zombies. But the kind of zombie that acts like a werewolf. It did open with a lady slapping a vampire to death after it vomits on her. So that was something.

Man, I miss when movie monsters were distinct from one another. I'm not sure when every monster became "feral person with fangs and/or skelefaces" but... it's not a trend I'm a fan of.

Anyway, next I'll try From Dusk 'til Dawn. Which I am much more confidant about, did not know was a series, and which is presumably based on the movie.
Old 10-01-2017, 07:24 AM
#deadfish2017

I find it really extremely hard that it's stupider than the movie.
Old 10-01-2017, 08:33 AM
Programmed to Jingle

There's a difference between Fun Stupid and Bad Stupid.

I had high hopes after what was supposed to be a tense and shocking display of violence turned into a slap-fight, and a moody soldier who spoke more reverently of Kit-Kat Bars then he did of his slaughtered family, but that was it.

But, again, I deemed it a lost cause pretty quickly.
Old 10-01-2017, 11:46 AM
????? LV 13 HP 292/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
For my part; I decided to watch some Seasonally Spooky Netflix original series. I managed to get, like, ten or fifteen minutes into Van Helsing
Isn't Van Helsing actually a Syfy [sic] network original series?

I feel like if you are doing this then you should try watching Z Nation. It has some Octo good moments (per my reckoning) but I don't think the overall series is Octo good.
Old 10-01-2017, 01:04 PM
Programmed to Jingle

I'm assuming it's a zombie show; which is a Hard Pass.

I will be (re) watching the first two seasons of Ash vs. the Evil Dead however. And that's as Octo as they day is long.
Old 10-01-2017, 02:26 PM
????? LV 13 HP 292/

It is a zombie show but it's different from most other zombie shows.
Old 10-01-2017, 02:53 PM
100% All Original

Movies on that list I know are awesome - Phantasm, What We Do in the Shadows, Krampus. This is not a judgment on the other movies, because those are also the only three I've seen. I haven't typically gone out of my way to see horror movies, so I guess I've seen mostly good ones.
Old 10-01-2017, 06:11 PM
Programmed to Jingle

My evening wound up rather more complicated than I planned, so I couldn't watch all of what I intended, but I was able to begin rewatching Ash vs. The Evil Dead. Which is both a very easy rec and almost the exact kind of thing I look for when choosing Halloweenmas Viewing. Give or take a Hamburger Dracula.

The shows a direct continuation of the movies (specifically Evil Dead 2), with Ash (who has become, if anything more pathetic, sleazy and arrogant with age) deciding to impress a woman he was trying to pick up at a bar by reading the poetry the Necronomicon, summoning the Evil Dead to the world once more.

Even if the plots a bit thin based on the first episode (mostly introducing the main cast, Show makes a solid first impression with that cast. Between Ashs obvious role as the idiot goofball, Pablo as his hype-man and the groups idealist, and Kelly as the straight-man, they work together pretty dang well.

And while the comedy comes from the heroes, the villains are genuinely terrifying (except the Bad CG Murder-Doll in the first episode, but that's just there as a goof). The scene where the police officers first encounter a deadite is almost artfully unnerving and most scenes involving them is chock-a-block with excessive violence and body-horror, if that's a deal-breaker.
Old 10-01-2017, 09:08 PM

Ooh, that's a nice list. I've seen about 40% of the stuff there, and liked most of them (Peeping Tom is probably my favorite of the bunch). Will try to watch things that I haven't seen, and maybe re-watch some others that I really like.

The Loved Ones (the Australian teen horror, I presumed, is there another one?) appeared twice on the list, #24 and #27.
Old 10-01-2017, 09:53 PM
Nonplussed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven View Post
The Loved Ones (the Australian teen horror, I presumed, is there another one?) appeared twice on the list, #24 and #27.
That's the one. Good catch. We had a whole bunch of other options, so I'm sure we can quickly slot another one in there.
Old 10-01-2017, 10:00 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Default The Black Cat

The Black Cat (1934) - Is somehow based on Edgar Allen Poe's story of the same name though other than having two black cats in them this movie and the short story have nothing in common.

The movie has something to do with WW1, war crimes, bride stealing, marrying your step daughter, Human bodies as art, cat phobias, and satanism. I know that's an ecclectic blend but it all hangs together well enough. The movie really isn't given enough time to bog you down and you're never left pondering the things in front of you too long to begin questioning how any of this makes any sense at all.

The lighting and set design is fantastic. Old Universal can set a scene. There's probably no more than handful of sets but the house never feels cramped and you never feel like you're seeing the same thing over and over. Lugosi and Karloff are phenomenal by themselves and on the screen together. You never quite trust Bela even though he's a good guy and Karloff has a menace about him that you can't quite place.

Some fun facts!

-This is one of the first films to use Toccata and Fugue as a horror piece. Every cliche starts somewhere.
-I thought the Latin in the "black mass" scene sounded funny and not so satanic. And it isn't. The script writer must have grabbed a book of latin proverbs because Karloff is trying to summon Lucifer with such incantations as "With a grain of salt;" "By fruit, not by leaves, judge a tree;" and, "The wolf may change his skin but not his nature"

I give this movie two dead black cats out of two dead black cats.
Old 10-01-2017, 11:24 PM
Nonplussed

The Black Cat
I hadn't seen this one before, but like The Body Snatcher, which I saw in a special AFI Halloween screening a few years back and also stars Karloff, this is a really short (both movies are only slightly more than an hour), punchy gothic horror story. The brevity hurts this movie a little more than the other one, but overall, I enjoyed it. As Falsie said, it's got a ton of atmosphere and Karloff and Lugosi are creepy as hell. The big question I had had was what Poelzig's plan was for the rite prior to the Allison's arriving, although as I was writing this up, I realized that perhaps he was going to use Karen, which is why she's laid out at the end.
Old 10-01-2017, 11:28 PM
????? LV 13 HP 292/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falselogic View Post
-This is one of the first films to use Toccata and Fugue as a horror piece. Every cliche starts somewhere.
How much of T&F does the movie play? I think it loses some of its impact if you play more than the first few notes.
Old 10-01-2017, 11:34 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torzelbaum View Post
How much of T&F does the movie play? I think it loses some of its impact if you play more than the first few notes.
It has the Toccata part and the Fugue. About 2 to 4 minutes, I'd say.
Old 10-02-2017, 10:06 AM
Video Monster

I still haven't seen a lot of the secondary or tertiary Universal Horror films, despite being a definite fan of the era. The Black Cat is one of those gaps in my experience.

Looking forward to some of these other writeups. A lot I haven't seen or heard of.

Octo: From Dusk Til Dawn is a good time. I expect it will receive high Octo Marks.

EDIT: Meanwhile, I started a movie I found on YouTube called "The Monster Club." It begins with a vampire, played by Vincent Price, biting a horror author. The author survives, and Price, who is a nice vampire, decides to repay him by taking him to a club populated by either real monsters or people in monster masks, all dancing while early 1980s punk rock plays.

This turns out to be a framing device for several short films, the first of which involves an aristocratic vampire-type who whistles his victims to death.

I haven't seen the other short films yet.
Old 10-02-2017, 01:43 PM
💀S☠K💀E☠L💀E☠T💀O☠N💀

Quote:
is this an excited FUK or an 'I hate this' FUK?
The former.

The Shining is one of the all time greats.
Old 10-02-2017, 08:06 PM
????? LV 13 HP 292/

Quote:
It has the Toccata part and the Fugue. About 2 to 4 minutes, I'd say.
Shows how times have changed - you hardly ever get both anymore.
Old 10-02-2017, 10:55 PM
Nonplussed

Rabid

I added this one to the list, because it's an early Cronenberg movie that I'd never seen, but often comes up on lists of classic horror movies. I had totally forgotten that Marilyn Chambers was in this as one of her earliest (maybe only? I haven't checked) non-adult movies. This one delivered for me. A bit of Cronenberg body horror (although nothing as extreme as would show up in his later movies) and some disturbing scenes of people foaming at the mouth and attacking others while martial law is imposed in Montreal. The ending isn't a cop-out, either.
Old 10-02-2017, 11:08 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Default Rabid

Rabid - Much like OctoPrime I don't do any research about these films before I see them. I had assumed from the title that this movie was about werewolves or weredogs or were somethings. Sadly, that is not the case. Instead this is a movie about a lady who is disfigured in a motorcycle accident and who receives some experimental plastic surgery around skin grafts from her thigh that have been treated somehow. It sounds like what they were talking about was stem cells but it was 1977 and screenwriters yet had no idea what those were.

ANYWAY, our lady friend wakes up and finds that she is cold and that while hugging someone a little thing comes out of her armpit and sucks blood out of them. Because that makes sense. Somehow.

*Please note beyond the info dump of the experimental skin graft it is never explained why thigh skin turned into stem cells grafted on someones torso would give you a mouth on your armpit that shots out a needle and craves human blood*

BUT, it gets worse! The people she pokes get super rabies! They just have to bite someone and then once they do they go into a coma and die. Obviously, this is not good for business. And local, federal, and international officials declare a state of emergency and shut down Montreal.

Did I say this all happens in Canada? Well, it does. Those crazy Canucks and their experimental blood sucking needle plastic surgery!

ONWARD! As soon as martial law is declared Govt Officials waste no time in just shooting the hell out of everyone who even begins to look like they might have super rabies. They are also given out vaccines but those only work on people who haven't been bit yet. Our Lady continues to poke people until her boyfriend finds her and reveals to her that she is in fact the source of the outbreak. She doesnn't take this well and pushes him down a flight of stairs.

BUT THEN, after running away she begins to think that maybe boyfriend is right. SCIENCE! She pokes a fellow and locks herself and the poor fellow in his apartment. She then calls to relate this all to boyfriend and while they are on the phone her victim wakes up a crazed super rabies guy and bites her good.

HARD CUT

In the morning our lady is found dead on the street. The movie ends.

Considering the fact that plastic surgery is the villian, the lady mostly attacks men (Both when she is very, very hungry and cannot find a man), that her needle pierces into men, and that she is seen topless many times and most of them men she feeds off of seem to be trying to pick her up or are sexualizing her. I'm confident that this movie is trying to make a statement about female sexuality and the emasculation of men.

I'm just not sure what that statement is.

I give this movie zero out of ten werewolves. Sad.
Old 10-02-2017, 11:09 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matchstick View Post
Rabid

I added this one to the list, because it's an early Cronenberg movie that I'd never seen, but often comes up on lists of classic horror movies. I had totally forgotten that Marilyn Chambers was in this as one of her earliest (maybe only? I haven't checked) non-adult movies. This one delivered for me. A bit of Cronenberg body horror (although nothing as extreme as would show up in his later movies) and some disturbing scenes of people foaming at the mouth and attacking others while martial law is imposed in Montreal. The ending isn't a cop-out, either.
I had forgot that this was a Cronenberg jam! That explains some of it. I was mostly just left scratching my head at this one though.
Old 10-02-2017, 11:27 PM
Nonplussed

Quote:
I had forgot that this was a Cronenberg jam! That explains some of it. I was mostly just left scratching my head at this one though.
I told Mrs. Match about it at lunch, and she said, "Who comes up with these ideas? That just sounds dumb." I said that it was basically a similar idea to a lot of zombie or lycanthropy things with magical stem cell enabled skin graft mumbo jumbo thrown in. That said, I don't know if it was trying to make a statement about sexuality or not. Apparently (according to IMDB), Cronenberg wanted Sissy Spacek to play the lead, which really quashes the whole "Oh, man, they used a porn star to say something about predatory sexuality" idea. I think it more just works the black widow/werewolf/zombie tropes and isn't necessarily trying to say anything.

Of course, if you want to talk about a movie that can be inscrutable, check out Cronenberg's Videodrome. Having seen that is maybe part of why I wasn't worried about what Rabid might be on about and just went for the ride.

Tags
flawgic = 5 , flawgic is awful , flawgic is wrong , flawgicwatchedthis.jpg , haints and gerblins , spoop your pants off , unreadable on tapatalk