The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about TV and film

Old 09-20-2017, 08:26 PM
Outraged!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
Canadian Netflix just got The Good Place. A show I'd been hankering to see following all its good press in this very thread, like, a year ago.

And my patience has been rewarded! Kind of love this.
Season 2 is starting today! Like right now!
Old 09-21-2017, 12:10 AM
Good Bee

The latest season of Broad City is off to a kinda rough start imo, but I haven't given up on it yet. I love the earlier seasons so much that I'll stick with it a while longer.
Old 09-21-2017, 12:34 AM
Space dad

Season 2 of Agent Carter was very good and I am increasingly irritated it was canceled.
Old 09-21-2017, 06:30 AM
Merry Christmas, Ma

Came across the Punisher trailer, which was very well done but still made it look like a Marvel show. The impact John Wick had on its choreography is immediately apparent, which is cool.
Old 09-21-2017, 06:44 AM
It's all good, man

Quote:
Originally Posted by krelbel View Post
The latest season of Broad City is off to a kinda rough start imo, but I haven't given up on it yet. I love the earlier seasons so much that I'll stick with it a while longer.
I liked the premiere a lot.
Old 09-22-2017, 01:27 AM
We just don't know.

I somehow never realized that Ben Edlund was the actual creator of the Tick as well as the current series. (He's the boyfriend of a friend of mine from film school so I see him pop up on Facebook a lot, though I don't know him myself.) The show is definitely on my shortlist to watch next regardless.

Last edited by Paul le Fou; 09-22-2017 at 06:29 PM.
Old 09-22-2017, 06:32 AM
Gesundheit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline View Post
I liked the premiere a lot.
Me too, felt like a return to the shagginess of the first two seasons. Season 3 was really good but skewed a little more typical sitcom.

Good Place premiere was outstanding. This show is going to get so fucking bonkers.
Old 09-22-2017, 06:29 PM
We just don't know.

I watched The Tick. I liked it! It was fun, clever, and lighthearted. I really hope it gets picked up for more seasons, since it was basically just the intro story.
Old 09-25-2017, 01:15 PM
King Of Space-Time

WaPo weighs in on Megyn Kelly's new vehicle...

Quote:
The debut was like watching a network try to assemble its own Bride of Frankenstein, using parts of Ellen DeGeneres, Kelly Ripa and whatever else it can find. The resultant lovely creature, dressed in a mauve, pussy-bow blouse and skintight pants, moved stiffly and waved her arms around in broad gestures in a bizarre attempt to generate excitement from an audience that was already standing and cheering as duly instructed. She interviewed people nervously and so awkwardly that they were cowed into giving monosyllabic answers. She also never missed an opportunity to talk about herself.
Quote:
A middle segment featured the “Today” regulars welcoming Kelly to 30 Rockefeller Center, a predawn festivity of studied smarm, with the added delight of seeing Kathie Lee Gifford sit in her makeup chair and play nice-nice with Kelly the way an old house cat would welcome a naive and extra-squeaky mouse to the kitchen.
Old 09-25-2017, 02:42 PM
an eeling of Christmas

Quote:
“We’ll be dissecting the latest tweet from President Trump,” she said, sarcastically, before insisting that politics will never be welcome in this safe space of an hour. Instead, her show will encourage viewers to escape from the awful world, “to laugh with us” (not one genuinely funny thing happened in this first episode), to which Kelly added her wish that viewers will enjoy “a smile, sometimes a tear, and maybe some hope to start your day.”
I always like it when the today show just goes right out and admits it's not even remotely like a news program.
Old 09-28-2017, 11:30 AM
Programmed to Jingle

Been watching Seinfeld, an episode of two a day, for a while. There's a few episodes that I'm not terribly shocked to have never seen in syndication.

And I've just reached the point where Susan died. For one thing; I did like the concept of her entire character arc (though she did nothing for me as a character, but I suppose that's on the writers for never giving her any jokes or personality), but her actual death and the way it's treated as a punchline seems absurdly dark even by this shows standards.

And that's bearing in mind that the core of this show is "these four friends are all assholes."
Old 09-28-2017, 11:38 AM
so exciting!

i'm shocked you never saw that in syndication
Old 09-28-2017, 12:14 PM
Programmed to Jingle

I was always aware how she died, but never saw the episode where she was plucked from off this vale of tears. Or the immediately following episode where George rejoices with the societal benefits he now reaps from being a widower.

And a bit of a diegression; but I also never saw the episode where Jerry was delighted at the prospect of dating a Chinese woman, only to learn to it was a white lady who just acted like a stereotype.

Can't... really paint that episode with a kind brush.
Old 09-28-2017, 12:36 PM
Outraged!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
I was always aware how she died, but never saw the episode where she was plucked from off this vale of tears. Or the immediately following episode where George rejoices with the societal benefits he now reaps from being a widower.

And a bit of a diegression; but I also never saw the episode where Jerry was delighted at the prospect of dating a Chinese woman, only to learn to it was a white lady who just acted like a stereotype.

Can't... really paint that episode with a kind brush.
How about the one where he'd really like to date the pretty Native American girl but keeps running into trouble because he's pretty racist towards Native Americans.
Old 09-28-2017, 12:45 PM
Programmed to Jingle

That one hasn't come up yet, but I do remember seeing it on syndication, so that blows my theory out of the water.
Old 09-28-2017, 01:38 PM
Merry Christmas, Ma

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpfriction View Post
How about the one where he'd really like to date the pretty Native American girl but keeps running into trouble because he's pretty racist towards Native Americans.
Seinfeld is is reliably merciless towards the pretensions of 90s liberals.
Old 09-28-2017, 01:45 PM
does the Underpants Dance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ample Vigour View Post
Seinfeld is is reliably merciless towards the pretensions of 90s liberals.
"Not that there's anything wrong with that!"
Old 09-28-2017, 03:17 PM
Merry Christmas, Ma

Quote:
Originally Posted by YangusKhan View Post
"Not that there's anything wrong with that!"
I've been watching episodes of Sex and the City at random, and there was an episode where one of them falls in with NYC's lesbian professional community. She tries to get all the benefits of the community (professional connections, parties, vacations) but is called out at the end. She delivers a breathtakingly narcissistic speech near the end about how she loves the female spirit, which should make her an honorary lesbian, and is immediately shut down with "if you don't eat pussy, you're not a dyke."

20 years later, I can't tell if her speech was the joke, or the response. Either way Sex and the City is an amazing cultural relic.
Old 09-30-2017, 12:26 PM
so exciting!

The Will and Grace reboot/season 9/whatever you want to call it is bad. Real bad. Aside from the "the series finale was all a dream" thing right out of the gate, the vast majority of the premiere seems to have been written in hopes of being giffed and posted on buzzfeed/mic dot com/whatever in an article titled "Nine times the Will and Grace premiere destroyed Trump!"

To wit: The final shot of the episode is a "Make America Gay Again" cap Grace left on the desk of the Oval Office. That's the quality of writing we're talking about.

NBC wisely decided to greenlight another season before this one premiered. Good thing Megyn Kelly on the Today show is there to take a lot of the heat off this mess.
Old 10-02-2017, 02:02 PM
ah’m margaret wartahm

I've started Great News. First few episodes aren't very good, but there's rapid improvement. I think it's a better 30 Rock replacement than Kimmy Schmidt. (it's just 30 Rock, but worse) (so, still incredibly desirable)

Between this and Difficult People, Andrea Martin's played some fine sitcom moms this year.

Um, it was called Fashion 9/11 and it was cancelled immediately.
Old 10-02-2017, 02:08 PM
an eeling of Christmas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajaro Pete View Post
To wit: The final shot of the episode is a "Make America Gay Again" cap Grace left on the desk of the Oval Office. That's the quality of writing we're talking about.
I am having trouble processing this fact, and it's not even the first time I heard it.
Old 10-02-2017, 05:43 PM
This Guy

I've been watching the new season of Outlander, which is great television even if it isn't as good as it could be thanks to situation left at the end of last season. With a show so centered on the relationship between two people, having them be unable to interact for more than a quarter of the season makes for some hurdles. It feels like they are rushing through 20 years of the character's lives just so we can get to them being back together again because that is exactly what is happening. Each episode could likely support a season, or at least an arc, and they have to get it all done about 5 episodes. Which means that some of the intervening events get short shrift.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavelsAreNeat View Post
I've started Great News. First few episodes aren't very good, but there's rapid improvement. I think it's a better 30 Rock replacement than Kimmy Schmidt. (it's just 30 Rock, but worse) (so, still incredibly desirable)

Between this and Difficult People, Andrea Martin's played some fine sitcom moms this year.

Um, it was called Fashion 9/11 and it was cancelled immediately.
Its good to hear Great News improves, because I just watched the first two episodes and was about to drop it. It is 30 Rock, but worse. The first two episodes reveal a show that has no clue what it is and who its characters are. It feels like 3 Rock running at half speed.

It's got a long way to improve to approach Kimmy Schmidt's level of quality, let alone 30 Rock's. Kimmy is 30 Rock without the normal person grounding. It is all the weirdo Jenna, Kenneth and Tracy stuff with little of the Liz and Jack real life (by the standards of 30 Rock) stuff behind it. It had lost something, but it still has the manic energy and the pitch perfect timing. Through 2 episodes, Great News has the set up for something more like 30 Rock, but its flat and just a little off.
Old 10-03-2017, 06:33 PM
Gesundheit!

Curb premiere felt kind of off. I can't tell if it was unusually grating even by the show's normal standards, or if this brand of humor doesn't feel right in the current cultural/political environment. Maybe a little of both.
Old 10-03-2017, 06:38 PM
This Guy

Great News won me over when it was explained that "af" means "as Frankenstein" and "dtf" means "don't touch Frankenstein," and "wft" is "won't touch Frankenstein."

Then season 2 opens with the idea: What if Liz Lemon was Jack Donaghy? I'm in.
Old 10-04-2017, 06:57 AM
It's all good, man

Quote:
Originally Posted by taosterman View Post
Curb premiere felt kind of off. I can't tell if it was unusually grating even by the show's normal standards, or if this brand of humor doesn't feel right in the current cultural/political environment. Maybe a little of both.
I dug it. But I wanted some real hardcore Larry David shit and I got it.
Old 10-04-2017, 07:45 AM
Outraged!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline View Post
I dug it. But I wanted some real hardcore Larry David shit and I got it.
Same. My wife wandered off halfway through mumbling something about how sick she is of tv shows about horrible people, though. Can't really blame her.
Old 10-04-2017, 07:50 AM
Gesundheit!

I think it's that Curb usually balances Larry being shitty with Larry being right, but voicing that rightness without any social grace. This one was 100% Shitty Larry. There was some pretty funny stuff, though (mostly Leon).
Old 10-10-2017, 06:43 AM
Gesundheit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by taosterman View Post
Second episode felt like the Curb that I remember and love, and my worries have dissipated. Funkhouser always helps.
Old 10-10-2017, 06:52 AM
It's all good, man

My name is Chappie Johnson and I can't open this damn pickle jar!
Old 10-15-2017, 11:55 AM
Gesundheit!

Crazy Ex-Girlfriend had one hell of a season-opening musical number. Still in fine form, can't wait for the rest.

Tags
bingewatch purgatory , fear of new threads , sex house , television