The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about TV and film

Old 10-11-2017, 07:02 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matchstick View Post
The Exorcist

Flawgic and I talked last week about whether we'd think the movie still held up
rewatching it after all these years. Mrs. Match decided to watch it with me for the same reason. We both thought it still worked and even some of the special effects that you've seen out of context a million times (like Regan's head turning around 360) worked. The one thing I was surprised about is how long it took to get going, and it struck me this morning that the exorcism effectively didn't work, because ultimately Karras had to get Pazuzu to jump to him instead of forcing it out. Like Flawgic, I cringed at the dig at the beginning and how much damage they were doing (and also how the one guy almost took off that kid's foot).
It really does work. And I agree on the start. This movie is a slow burn.
Old 10-11-2017, 07:11 PM
Nonplussed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falselogic View Post
Like I said to Match privately, I think seeing the cream of the horror crop last year has spoiled me somewhat.
I totally get that. I've gotten over jaded and just look to be entertained at this point. Even so, I watched a bunch of random movies last year and didn't have a stellar hit ratio, so it's going better this year. I'm not saying it's great at all; I just had fun (and the bar started super low, so I didn't need much).
Old 10-11-2017, 11:19 PM
Merry Christmas, Ma

The spinal tap sequence still makes me cringe, even in memory. Friedkin is saying something with how everyone in the film uses Regan's body. Even the people trying to help her tie her down, hit her (doesn't Karras punch the shit out of her right at the end?), cut her open (that fuckin spinal tap)
Old 10-12-2017, 01:11 AM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Default Invasion of the Body Snatchers

Invasion of the Body Snatchers - I'm too tired and emotionally exhausted to write out a long "clever" summary tonight. Sorry. Here's just the highlights.

Space bubbles come to earth and turn into plants. These plants turn into people.

Small hitch, the person they become gets turned into dust. Whoops!

Small group of humans tries to fight plants.

Small group loses. Plants win.

The end.

Thoughts:

Wow, at one point real people lived in San Francisco!

This movie does creeping paranoia very well.

The body horror in this movie is subtle and incredibly effective.

What a waste of Leonard Nimoy's talent.

It's incredible how people in the late 70s were able to so accurately portrait the invasion of technology into San Francisco and the rest of the world!

If we're being honest I'd take pod people over tech bros.

*Insert SF/Tech bro joke here*

I give this movie 🍐🍋🍒 out of 🥑🥔🌶🍅🍆
Old 10-12-2017, 08:24 AM
Merry Christmas, Ma

Pretty much everyone agrees that the first Body Snatchers was about Communism, but I still haven't figured out what creeping soullessness '78 was about. Whatever it was, the creators said we don't stand a chance against it.
Old 10-12-2017, 08:50 AM
Programmed to Jingle

Wait, was OG Body Snatchers about communism or McCarthyism?

Or am I confusing it with, like, half the episodes of Twilight Zone...
Old 10-12-2017, 09:03 AM
Better be the real thing.

Either, or both, depending on whom you ask.
Old 10-12-2017, 10:44 AM
Oily Butt Thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ample Vigour View Post
Pretty much everyone agrees that the first Body Snatchers was about Communism, but I still haven't figured out what creeping soullessness '78 was about.
Post-Watergate, post-Vietnam, post-Church Committee paranoid malaise is usually my read. The class of political paranoia thrillers like Parallax View and Three Days of the Condor. Although it is a bit later than those.
Old 10-12-2017, 11:01 AM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Quote:
Pretty much everyone agrees that the first Body Snatchers was about Communism, but I still haven't figured out what creeping soullessness '78 was about. Whatever it was, the creators said we don't stand a chance against it.
Consumerism? There is a scene where Nancy goes off about the crap we're buying and the poisons we're putting into our bodies. It's the only thing I could explicitly find that might reference meaning.

If it had only been made a few years later in Reagan's America conformity and consumerism would be my de facto guess with any movie that came out.

I do like the existential nihilism of the film as is though. There is no meaning, Earth and everything on it doesn't matter and could be replaced and the universe would continue on as it always has.

I did not expect it. But I enjoyed it. Most horror films don't end with the horror "winning."
Old 10-12-2017, 11:19 AM
does the Underpants Dance

Quote:
Most horror films don't end with the horror "winning."
Oh hi there, Mr. Cronenberg.
Old 10-12-2017, 12:31 PM
till the sheriff stops by

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
Wait, was OG Body Snatchers about communism or McCarthyism?
Yep.

The great thing about the Body Snatchers is that in its simplicity, it becomes easy to make it about oh so many things and project a meaning onto it. What did the original creators intend. Don't know and it doesn't matter all that much.
Old 10-12-2017, 01:13 PM
Better be the real thing.

The producer and star insisted there was nothing intended by anybody. The director says he saw the potential for a message, but chose not to emphasize it because he didn't want to get preachy.

Which makes sense to me. I've had moments in my own writing where I've seen noticed potential commentary, but just kind of left it alone to speak for itself. There's a difference between something built from the ground up to be an allegory and something where the message emerges from the story itself, as if by accident.
Old 10-12-2017, 01:23 PM
Video Monster

Oh hey, remember how one of the most memorable things about the 1970s Body Snatchers is the awful sound the alien!humans make while pointing? And how the sound design is just generally excellent.

It's because Ben Burtt.
Old 10-12-2017, 01:45 PM
Merry Christmas, Ma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Scott View Post
The producer and star insisted there was nothing intended by anybody. The director says he saw the potential for a message, but chose not to emphasize it because he didn't want to get preachy.
One of the film comment wags on SA likes to bring up how the director of Nightmare on Elm Street 2 swears up and down that he didn't make a movie about how internalized homophobia kills. Meanwhile on screen...

Body Snatchers '78 seems more didactic than Body Snatchers '56, which made it harder for me to fit something to it (thanks Raider for the 70s thriller angle, which makes a lot of sense)
Old 10-12-2017, 01:47 PM
Merry Christmas, Ma

Quote:
I did not expect it. But I enjoyed it. Most horror films don't end with the horror "winning."
If there are such things as horror films in 20 years, the kids coming up now are going to make some shit that will curl our hair.
Old 10-12-2017, 02:58 PM
Oily Butt Thing

Quote:
Body Snatchers '78 seems more didactic than Body Snatchers '56, which made it harder for me to fit something to it (thanks Raider for the 70s thriller angle, which makes a lot of sense)
Flawgic also makes some good points about the general cultural atmosphere. The making of the movie fits neatly in the economic doldrums between the 1973 and 1979 oil shocks, the point when postwar economic stability seemed to be going away for good.
Old 10-12-2017, 07:01 PM
Nonplussed

Invasion of the Body Snatchers

I've seen 3 of the 4 Body Snatchers films. I've not gotten around to seeing the most recent one, but I dig all 3 of the others. For me, this one is the best I think specifically because of the nihilistic feel that Flawgic mentioned, and the way the screws are constantly turning as Matthew keeps running into the others everywhere he turns.

After having a couple of slow burn movies, it was kind of surprising to see how fast the pod people start taking over. The walls start closing in almost immediately and it doesn't take long before you're presuming that pretty much everybody that isn't a main character has been turned (which makes the Kibner reveal work so well and makes you wonder why you didn't presume that Nimoy was already a pod person). Kibner gives a run-down early on saying that Elizabeth just thinks people are different, because we've become narcisstic, inward-looking, and emotion/trouble averse, which is where I presumed the subtext was for this particular iteration.
Old 10-12-2017, 09:41 PM
Merry Christmas, Ma

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Raider Dr. Jones View Post
Flawgic also makes some good points about the general cultural atmosphere. The making of the movie fits neatly in the economic doldrums between the 1973 and 1979 oil shocks, the point when postwar economic stability seemed to be going away for good.
And we were seven painful years away from the moral response that we needed so badly

Old 10-13-2017, 01:05 AM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Default The Legend of Boggy Creek

The Legend of Boggy Creek - The is the first film so far this month that I regret spending my time and money on.

I can't even tell you what happens in the film because nothing really does. This docudrama tells the "story" of the Fouke Monster. In the deep woods of South Arkansas a man in a bad gorilla suit harasses rural Arkansans.

That's it.

Also, it is poorly shot, the transfer to digital is terrible, and the actors are not great. But that could be the script because that is also not great. And, and the gorilla suit is also bad. Also, also, the sound effects for the man in the gorilla suit are bad.

A lot of bad in this movie. That's the subtle message I am trying to impart to you dear reader.

Oh, and at least two dogs are killed!? Come on!

1🦍 out of 1🦍

Last edited by Falselogic; 10-13-2017 at 01:16 AM.
Old 10-13-2017, 09:13 AM
Video Monster

Boggy Creek II is good...IF you watch it with MST3K.

Charles Pierce also made another movie shot in Arkansas, The Town That Dreaded Sundown, which is apparently pretty good! I haven't seen all of it yet.
Old 10-13-2017, 12:27 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dracula View Post

Charles Pierce also made another movie shot in Arkansas, The Town That Dreaded Sundown, which is apparently pretty good! I haven't seen all of it yet.
I am told the MST3K episode of Boggy Creek is also good. I should have watched that one instead.
Old 10-13-2017, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matchstick View Post
Invasion of the Body Snatchers

I've seen 3 of the 4 Body Snatchers films.
Keep it that way. The Invasion is VERY VERY BAD. How bad? It has a happy ending. Oh, and everyone who was turned into a body snatcher turns out to be all right and even all of the consequences of living in a world where half the population tried to body snatch the other half is basically ignored.
Old 10-13-2017, 04:00 PM
Nonplussed

The Legend of Boggy Creek

I texted Flawgic when I was about 10 minutes in asking, "WTF am I watching?" It's a vaguely interesting curio into what somebody that didn't appear to know how to make movies would do if they tried, but it was a mess. Tonally all over the place, incomprehensible editing, weird songs. I just couldn't even.

Quote:
I felt like I was watching one of their movies before they'd laid in the jokes.
Old 10-13-2017, 05:39 PM
Video Monster

Incidentally, MST3K only did the sequel to Boggy Creek. I've still never seen the original. (Probably won't, although I am attracted to the novelty of watching a film made in my home state, which is about as rare as the Boggy Creek Monster)
Old 10-14-2017, 10:56 AM
Nonplussed

The Shining

Fun fact: this is the first R rated movie I ever saw. My parents let me watch it, because I'd already read the book.

I consider the book the scariest of all the Stephen King books I've read, and one of the scariest I've ever read. This is not going to be a "the book was so much better, this movie sucks!" write-up, though, because I consider them to be totally different things overall (which is generally true anyway, but even more so here). The book is about how the hotel is a malevolent force that tears families apart: driving a man who is honestly trying to do better into psychosis and murderous frenzy and toying with a young, psychic child, because he might be able to do something about it. The movie plays much more like Jack is already not in a great spot before the hotel even starts to go to work and the family is barely holding it together before the first snowflake falls. I think Kubrick's usually cold tone also works against this as a straight-up horror movie.

All that said, it's got a ton of great stuff: the blood tsunami (also a great band, by the way), the long steadicam shots of Danny riding through the halls that eventually lead to his meeting the Grady daughters (pre and post hacking), the "All work and no play..." reveal, Jack and Lloyd's first conversation. Taken on its own terms, it's good.
Old 10-14-2017, 11:26 AM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Default The Shining

The Shining - Deep breath. I have a feeling my opinions on this movie are going to be unpopular.

To I have to do a summary of this movie? Yes? Okay. Here goes!

Failed middle-aged writer, Jack, in yet another attempt to shift the blame for the mediocrity of his life from himself uproots his family to a secluded hotel in the mountains of Colorado. He has convinced himself that by isolating himself there for five or six months he'll surely be the great American writer he just knows he is.

Oh, and the hotel might be haunted or cursed or both.

Oh, oh and Jack's son, Danny, has magic powers.

Turns out Jack's mediocrity was not caused by living in Boulder, CO!

Shocker, right?!

But is instead caused by the fact that Jack is a very small man with very little talent and even less empathy.

In yet another attempt to deflect he starts taking things out on his wife, Wendy. Who by the way has been nothing but a supportive of her husband. Even though she could do so much better because, again, Jack is a loser.

Jack get's cabin fever, or possessed by ghosts, or cursed by Native Americans. Or, and this is my own personal belief, that when finally faced with the reality of how insignificant he is and just how pathetic his life is. Unable to deal with his own inadequacies and no longer capable of projecting those inadequacies on other people or things. He does the one thing that remains to Ordinary, Unexceptional, Entitled, Petulant, White, Cis Males - extreme violence against people of color, women, and children.

Which he engages in happily.

Sadly, this violence is successful in that Dick, the hotel's cook, who was warned something was going badly through Danny's magic powers and rushed back to the hotel to help is murdered by Jack.

Thankfully, Jack's complete inability to do anything right. (I mean his manuscript was terrible! Even as a piece of post-modern avant-garde art it fails to engage or repel the viewer. Remaining a weak attempt at commentary on the state of literature by an amateurish writer who doesn't understand the field enough to critique it.) And the competence and intelligence of Wendy and Danny means that they escape and Jack freezes to death.

The End.

Despite all that this is a gorgeous movie. A real sensory pleasure. It's a joy to watch and listen to. I mean really. I want to watch it again but if I could just cut out the vocal track it would be wonderful. Kubrick really knew how to work a camera and shape a movie. Especially fond of the tricycling scenes and hedge maze scenes.

I give this movie One out of One Frozen Mansicle
Old 10-14-2017, 12:27 PM
Programmed to Jingle

Match hit exactly the reason the book and movie are so different. In one, Jack is a monster because of ghosts, and in the other Jack is a monster and also there are ghosts.
Old 10-15-2017, 12:25 AM
Video Monster

Every year around Halloween it seems like there is at least once theater around us showing this movie. Theaters tend to do a poor job advertising stuff like this. Do some research, because if you have an opportunity to see this film on a big screen, you absolutely must.
Old 10-15-2017, 01:21 AM
Nonplussed

Quote:
Every year around Halloween it seems like there is at least once theater around us showing this movie. Theaters tend to do a poor job advertising stuff like this. Do some research, because if you have an opportunity to see this film on a big screen, you absolutely must.
I literally just got back from doing this. I completely concur (although it's my favorite horror movie, so I would).
Old 10-15-2017, 05:51 AM

Quote:
The Shining - Deep breath. I have a feeling my opinions on this movie are going to be unpopular.
I love the movie and I have absolutely no objections to your take on it. Jack is an asshole. He might be a compulsive liar, too (does anyone believe for a second that Shelly Duvall's character is a "horror buff" like Jack claims in the job interview. I'd actually be more likely to believe it as a character trait if Jack didn't say it.). Due to the fact that he's played by Jack Nicholson, its also obvious from the beginning that this is not a man to be trusted.

There's a deep ugliness in Jack that the hotel allows him to stop lying to himself and just be some big asshole murderer, or as I call him "Mr. Rude".

But as Octo and Match pointed out, there are some pretty big differences between the movie and the source material. In the book, Jack is well aware of the ugliness inside of him and has worked for years to fight it and become a better man until the Overlook shatters his spirit, breaks his will and makes him monster completely in service to the Overlook. He might have some lingering bitterness over some things in the back of his mind, but the front of his mind is all like "you know those thoughts are petty and dumb, right? Steer the course and we can do this!"

In the movie, Jack seems like a man in denial who has put on the airs of someone who has improve himself and is working towards greatness. The hotel, meanwhile, is like the worst corners of the internet that allow Jack to be the terrible internet troll he's always harboured inside him.

I like them both, but I definitely understand certain complaints about the movie. In the book, Wendy has a lot more to do beyond running around and screaming.

Tags
flawgic = 5 , flawgic is awful , flawgic is wrong , flawgicwatchedthis.jpg , haints and gerblins , spoop your pants off , unreadable on tapatalk