The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about TV and film

Closed Thread

Old 10-09-2017, 08:39 PM
Christmas Action Returns

Um yes that is intrigue
Old 10-09-2017, 08:39 PM
is Earnest

That's a good trailer! I don't think it's as direct as it seems. The dialogue at the beginning is probably Snoke talking to Rey, and the last scene is Rey talking to Luke. Also, the hand reaching out is from the scene where Luke's school is destroyed, which is why fire is falling around it. It's still possible that Rey changes sides, but it's not going to happen the way it looks in the trailer.
Old 10-09-2017, 08:57 PM
All are Santa Saturn

Yep, that's a spicy meatball.

It'd be interesting if Kylo and Rey decide to meet in the middle and become "grey Jedi", and what that would mean for Snoke and Luke.
Old 10-09-2017, 08:58 PM
Find Your Reason

But we've already been told, this is not going to go the way we think...
Old 10-09-2017, 09:52 PM
oh my car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ample Vigour View Post
By connection do you mean aesthetic, thematic...?
Thematic, I guess. Structural, maybe. We're meant to understand that Kylo Ren's path is an echo of Darth Vader's. The one film shows us one angry boy in black who did a lot of bad murders and joined the red team and made his teacher run and hide, and in that way allows its sequel to gloss over the other one (both the fact of his deeds and the pain caused by them), in order to draw the differences between them into sharper relief. To what end we don't yet know.

There's also some similar substitution going on w.r.t. the reasons why the two respective Republics suck.
Old 10-09-2017, 10:29 PM
does the Underpants Dance

I don't think it's possible for Rey to "switch sides" in the sense that she becomes evil and starts murdering younglings people. That trailer definitely plays up how both Rey and Kylo are lost kids with no one to give them direction. For Rey, it sounds like Luke doesn't even want to teach her anything because he's afraid of what will happen if he does, and for Kylo I'm betting it's an internal struggle he has with his own morality, based on the sequence where he's seemingly trying to kill Leia.

Their separate struggles are going to converge and then the movie will end and it'll be mirroring the ending of Empire where the viewer has to dwell on an abrupt shocking revelation until the next movie comes out.
Old 10-09-2017, 11:07 PM
この世の最も無智なる者

It's going to be crazy to watch a Star War where Mark Hamill is a legitimately good actor.
Old 10-10-2017, 07:41 AM
Find Your Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by YangusKhan View Post
for Kylo I'm betting it's an internal struggle he has with his own morality, based on the sequence where he's seemingly trying to kill Leia.
You know, considering they had said Leia would play a prominent role in Episode IX, if they kill her off here (or offscreen) because of Carrie Fisher's death, I feel it would be a huge disservice to Fisher and to her legacy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by estragon View Post
It's going to be crazy to watch a Star War where Mark Hamill is a legitimately good actor.
We've seen this raw acting only once before. It didn't scare us enough then... but it does now.

EDIT: Also, it occurs to me that maybe the space battle above is actually very early on in the movie. Since we know TLJ takes place immediately after TFA, directly continuing the encounter scene, it's possible the First Order is launching a counter-counteroffensive on the Resistance base, like the Empire once did on Yavin. Kylo's face in this scene is literally patched up with some kind of healing mesh, but his scar is mostly healed by the time of the "offering hand" part, which itself could be symbolic of his arc.

Last edited by Zef; 10-10-2017 at 07:52 AM.
Old 10-10-2017, 08:33 AM
is Earnest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zef View Post
You know, considering they had said Leia would play a prominent role in Episode IX, if they kill her off here (or offscreen) because of Carrie Fisher's death, I feel it would be a huge disservice to Fisher and to her legacy.
The producers said that they did not change anything in this movie due to her death.
Old 10-10-2017, 08:56 AM
King Of Space-Time

Behold your new masters.

Old 10-10-2017, 10:08 AM
Can't peeve the Sheev

I don't know why, but that little bird-thingy was probably one of my favorite things about the trailer. It just felt, somehow, so very Star Wars.
Old 10-10-2017, 10:20 AM
Merry Christmas, Ma

Re the trailer I deeply enjoyed how Ben uses a modern recreation of grand-dad's custom ride.
Old 10-10-2017, 10:33 AM
All are Santa Saturn

My favorite part of the trailer was Finn and Phasma.

I'm guessing that the big space battle, and a lot of scenes in the teaser, is early in the movie. It's the evacuation of D'Qar.
Old 10-10-2017, 10:52 AM
Find Your Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daikaiju View Post
My Porg, it's full of stars...!
Old 10-11-2017, 09:28 AM
King Of Space-Time

BB-8's not taking it well.

Old 10-11-2017, 09:57 AM
Can't peeve the Sheev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ample Vigour View Post
Re the trailer I deeply enjoyed how Ben uses a modern recreation of grand-dad's custom ride.
Dare we hope for an epic starfighter duel between hero and villain? I feel like that's a (sadly) rare occurence in the Star Wars movies.
Old 10-11-2017, 12:18 PM
Merry Christmas, Ma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredde View Post
Dare we hope for an epic starfighter duel between hero and villain? I feel like that's a (sadly) rare occurence in the Star Wars movies.
I hope not. American Graffiti didn't settle things with the drag race, and neither should Star Wars.
Old 10-11-2017, 01:37 PM
Find Your Reason

TBH, it's getting disappointing that the Sith du Jour always uses a (-o-) ship whether or not it makes any sense. Vader's custom TIE set him apart from his squad, why should Darth Maul get the Cyrano version? And now Kylo is getting the two-seater Cyrano mod. It's as silly as the Clone troopers getting pointless "s-foils" in Revenge of the Sith just to tie them into X-Wings.
Old 10-11-2017, 02:30 PM
Merry Christmas, Ma

Kylo is cluelessly aping his grandpa, and it makes perfect sense in that context.
Old 10-11-2017, 02:36 PM
All are Santa Saturn

Kylo smashing his helmet in the trailer makes me wonder if cluelessly aping his grandpa is just a step in becoming something more. Destroying the helmet seems to mean a cognizant departure from I Wanna Be Grandpa When I Grow Up.

Or maybe he's just pissed that Snoke made him run laps. Dunno yet.
Old 10-11-2017, 02:38 PM
REVOLUTION GRRR STYLE NOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by four-so View Post
Kylo smashing his helmet in the trailer makes me wonder if cluelessly aping his grandpa is just a step in becoming something more. Destroying the helmet seems to mean a cognizant departure from I Wanna Be Grandpa When I Grow Up.

Or maybe he's just pissed that Snoke made him run laps. Dunno yet.
whatever the reason is, I can say with confidence that massive amounts of petulance will be involved
Old 10-11-2017, 11:24 PM
Space dad

Quote:
I dunno, I've played a lot of X-Wing Miniatures and the stat line on that Silencer isn't going to last long against a Falcon running Rey and Chewie
Old 10-12-2017, 12:21 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarcasmorator View Post
I dunno, I've played a lot of X-Wing Miniatures and the stat line on that Silencer isn't going to last long against a Falcon running Rey and Chewie
The sole reason I am interested in Star Wars Battlefronts 2 is that it appears to have playable space dogfight scenes.
Old 10-12-2017, 12:38 PM
Find Your Reason

Didn't the Falcon have a lot of trouble with two measly TIE fighters (who weren't even meant to shoot them down) even with Chewie at the helm and Han and Luke at the batteries? Rey may be a piloting prodigy, but an elite pilot (like I'd expect Kylo to be) with a top-of-the-line TIE AND deadly intent is gonna give a lot more trouble than those TIEs.
Old 10-12-2017, 02:49 PM
Space dad

It was four, and they didn't really have that much trouble; the Falcon takes all four within a few minutes, which isn't long even if the pilots aren't trying to kill them. It survived multiple attacks from them in an asteroid field. It didn't have any issues at Endor, either. And Finn and Rey kicked the FO fighters' asses pretty well.
Old 10-12-2017, 02:53 PM
Can't peeve the Sheev

And lest we forget, the Falcon did manage sneak up on Vader once. Though to be fair, he was kind of preoccupied at the moment.
Old 10-12-2017, 08:28 PM
????? LV 13 HP 292/

Quote:
And lest we forget, the Falcon did manage sneak up on Vader once. Though to be fair, he was kind of preoccupied at the moment.
Always watch your six.
Old 10-12-2017, 08:40 PM
Remembers Love

In Vader's defense, your FoV in a Tie Fighter is kind of locked between 11 and 1. I'm sure he had the Key Binds taped to his hud, but he was probably trying to remember how to get his squad to attack his target and forgot to cycle his camera.
Old 10-13-2017, 11:16 AM
Video Monster

Quote:
If we're all perfectly honest here, "The Force Awakens" was to the "Star Wars" franchise what George Clooney and "Batman and Robin" (1997) were to Batman.
What is the worst post about star wars
Old 10-13-2017, 02:32 PM
All are Santa Saturn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dracula View Post
What is the worst post about star wars
Who said this and are they aware of all the detrimental effects that could accompany sniffing bath salts?
Closed Thread

Tags
a bongo bill thread , an insane man flounders , bongobill fan club , darth snape , god bless bongo bill , i rebel , jar jar shot first , jizz-wailers , joseph campbell , manny both-hanz , max rebo , planet poppin' fun , scum and villainy , so wizard , space ghosts , star wars , stockholm syndrome , yub nub