The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about TV and film

Old 09-22-2017, 06:25 AM
Your life is forfeit

I read the AV Club review of the latest episode out of curiosity and... this show seems like it might be good? Contrarily, Seth Macfarlane is garbage. But isn't Star Trek all about putting aside prejudices and assumptions? On the other hand, I've seen Family Guy.

I don't really know how I feel about all this.
Old 09-22-2017, 07:13 AM
120 Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parish View Post
I read the AV Club review of the latest episode out of curiosity and... this show seems like it might be good? Contrarily, Seth Macfarlane is garbage. But isn't Star Trek all about putting aside prejudices and assumptions? On the other hand, I've seen Family Guy.

The McFarlane-ishness is at a bare minimum, and I think he just wants to remake tng. i think the occasional jizz joke is a concession to get it made at all.
Old 09-22-2017, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parish View Post
You should feel happy that after a decade plus long drought of Star Trek with only a handful of cheesy Star Wars films wearing the flayed skin of Star Trek to placate us, we're going to get TWO Star Trek shows this year.

It's become abundantly clear to me that nearly all of the early reviewers of Orville either never watched past the first episode of their three-episode preview screenings, and/or have zero appreciation of what Star Trek is even about.

Parish, you can safely give Orville a go with a clear conscious. Seth MacFarlane clearly loves Star Trek and gets what makes it good. Orville is the most loving homage to TNG I've ever seen, and even looks to take some of the things TNG tried to do but failed, and make it work this time around. And while the MacFarlane punchlines miss the target more times than not, they're very infrequent and honestly the camp makes it feel even more like Star Trek.

One thing I didn't mention last night was how impressed I was actually by Seth MacFarlane's performance/character in the last episode. In the first two, he didn't clearly demonstrate to me any bearings or aptitude of being a captain. But after this third episode, I bought in. He acted sufficiently captainly! It was nice.
Old 09-22-2017, 08:11 AM
120 Days

Read a review of ep3 where they call it the worst due to Macfarlane's misunderstanding of gender identity issues:

http://www.indiewire.com/2017/09/the...201879087/amp/
Old 09-22-2017, 08:35 AM
I. Love. It.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chud_666 View Post
When did ep 3 play?
Dangit, I missed it too because I didn't know the show moved to Thursday nights.

So, uh, it airs on Thursdays now. FYI.

That's two episodes I missed due to scheduling. Maybe Episode 2 announced it was moving to Thursdays, but I didn't see that one due to Sportsball. Hopefully this isn't another show that dies due to FOX's scheduling incompetence.
Old 09-22-2017, 08:42 AM
120 Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoonyBardOL View Post
Dangit, I missed it too because I didn't know the show moved to Thursday nights.

So, uh, it airs on Thursdays now. FYI.

That's two episodes I missed due to scheduling. Maybe Episode 2 announced it was moving to Thursdays, but I didn't see that one due to Sportsball. Hopefully this isn't another show that dies due to FOX's scheduling incompetence.
Apparently it has good ratings! I caught ep3 this morning on Telus TV On Demand. I liked it!
Old 09-22-2017, 09:06 AM

I believe this was the plan all along to be on Thursdays. The first two episodes were scheduled for Sundays specifically because they wanted to drum up interest by having Sunday Night Football as a lead in. It did announce it after the end of the 2nd one at the beginning of the commercial break, so if you watched it online you might not have seen it.
Old 09-29-2017, 04:39 PM
120 Days

ep 4 is great as well.
The elevator small talk joke got a legit laugh from me.
Hot take: I kinda love this show.
Old 09-29-2017, 04:53 PM
Outraged!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chud_666 View Post
ep 4 is great as well.
The elevator small talk joke got a legit laugh from me.
Hot take: I kinda love this show.
Episode 4 was very solid.
Old 09-29-2017, 06:32 PM

Episode 4 wasn't as good as 3, but it was pretty decent to good. Episode 4 also had some pretty high-power cameos, and Episode 5 looks to bring in even more celebrities. I guess it pays to be Seth MacFarlane. And as much as the scenario was kinda obvious what was going on and how it was going to be resolved, I really really liked just the spectacle at the end of the dome coming down, the stars shining for the first time in eons, and some great classic Trek where a crew member cites some pertinent poetry.

Even hotter take, I actually kinda like the show's sense of humor...! The obvious punchlines are bad. But the more subtle joking moments centered around awkward work/life situations or the work-place banter is all very good. The very beginning of the episode where Bortus and Klyden (who are legit AMAZING characters, btw) have an awkward stare-down while Bortus goes off to work, and Klyden attempts to bury his sorrows in ice cream and old movies is just... *kisses fingertips*

I'm also reading that apparently Jonathan Frakes is directing episode 5...!?
Old 10-01-2017, 07:46 PM
Safe Space

Quote:
Originally Posted by WisteriaHysteria View Post
Even hotter take, I actually kinda like the show's sense of humor...! The obvious punchlines are bad. But the more subtle joking moments centered around awkward work/life situations or the work-place banter is all very good. The very beginning of the episode where Bortus and Klyden (who are legit AMAZING characters, btw) have an awkward stare-down while Bortus goes off to work, and Klyden attempts to bury his sorrows in ice cream and old movies is just... *kisses fingertips*
I laughed at the Friends joke.
Old 10-02-2017, 10:23 PM
Not a Beer

Was just catching up and watched Ep 3, and while the scenario felt a little ham-handed at times, yeah, this really is just straight-up TNG (plus some jokes), huh.

Also, geez, Alara was already hella cute but after that boxing scene I'm afraid I'm officially in love with her. If I were in high school I'd need a poster for my locker stat.
Old 10-06-2017, 03:33 AM
I. Love. It.

Huh, looks like that's how long it took for the show to throw time travel into the mix. Five episodes.

I liked this episode quite a bit. The Seinfeld scene at the start was kinda.... ehh, but it did set up the B-plot. Also not a huge fan of the 'jealous woman suspicious of new girl in ex's life' trope. But otherwise, a pretty good episode, and the dark matter stuff looked pretty dang neat.
Old 10-06-2017, 12:24 PM

I hope Charlize Theron becomes Orville's Vash.
Old 10-06-2017, 10:25 PM
Not a Beer

The effects at the beginning of this episode (the whole comet sequence) struck me as a little shoddy, but the dark matter bits were much nicer. I'm probably just being nitpick from my years as an academic CG nerd.

Also now wondering how much of this show is a long game by Seth MacFarlane to get to song Charlize Theron.
Old 10-07-2017, 01:13 PM
120 Days

Ok this ep is probably the Orville’s platonic ideal.

- cool gradius 3 stage bubbles
- awesome guest star that is unforced commentary/plot advancement of central conceit (trust issues post relationship)
- unforced humour arising from character situations
- successful broad humour with Isaac and Gordon
- serious sci fi shit
- aliens and their ship were super fucking cool.
- actual real emotional stakes and payoff at end

A+++++
Old 10-08-2017, 07:34 PM
Safe Space

Quote:
Originally Posted by WisteriaHysteria View Post
I hope Charlize Theron becomes Orville's Vash.
How can that be if she's been erased from existence?
Old 10-08-2017, 08:44 PM
Not a Beer

Altered-timeline shenanigans may as well be a free pass for writers to do whatever they damn well please, really.
Old 10-08-2017, 11:21 PM

I like that Orville doesn't get to have transporters. I know they're iconic in Star Trek, but they create way too many writing issues to be worth it.
Old 10-13-2017, 12:24 AM

This week's episode looks into our reoccuring badguys more. Beyond the bad car rental jokes, I liked it. Wasn't a great episode by any means, but giving the baddies some texture is a good thing. Also, I'm pretty sure captain baddie was the Romulan captain we always saw in TNG, but I'm not totally positive.
Old 10-13-2017, 05:12 PM
120 Days

Tomaluk? He was Andreas Katsulas of b5 fame (also one armed man fame). Also he has passed.
Old 10-27-2017, 08:44 AM
I. Love. It.

So last night's Orville, honestly when it first came on I thought I was watching Black Mirror by mistake somehow.

Dunno how I feel about this one, 'critiquing modern-day issues through the lens of future sci-fi' is a thing Trek does and I can't fault Orville for trying, but I don't think they went all the way. That upvote/downvote-based society was certainly unsettling, though.

Still though, LaMarr, wow, that was some blatant stupidity on his part that got him into that situation. Not a super great first actual outing for him.
Old 10-28-2017, 09:37 AM
King Of Space-Time

Well. Now I know what China's Sesame Credit* looks like going full tilt. I'm good for my dose of halloween horror now.

Old 11-09-2017, 11:44 PM

I like Orville. I like it a lot. I might even like it better than Discovery. However, watching Kasidy Yates get her vore on with the slime-guy was eye-bleach I'd really have rather not seen.
Old 11-10-2017, 09:22 PM
Not a Beer

I'm mean if you're gonna do it with a slime creature it's only logical to you know what I'll just stop talking
Old 11-14-2017, 07:51 PM
This Guy

This is a strange show. I don't know that I like it, but I can't stop watching it. It is in the neighborhood of being really good, but I don't know that it ever gets there. It goes for the jokes at just the wrong moments often enough to keep me wary.
Old 11-27-2017, 10:24 AM
Not a Beer

Caught up on the last episode I missed and it was great to have an Alara-centric ep, but disappointing that the answer to the mysteries was the old "it was all a holodeck simulation". Boo. A third of the way through I was convinced they'd picked up some sort of fear-elemental energy being, which would've been more interesting.

Also it seems like Penny Johnson Jerald has been really enjoying the chance to play wildly out of character multiple times. I'm glad she's having fun. Always good to see actors getting to stretch their legs even in something that's mostly a comedy.
Old 11-27-2017, 11:07 AM
Safe Space

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirin View Post
A third of the way through I was convinced they'd picked up some sort of fear-elemental energy being, which would've been more interesting.
I thought so too!
Old 11-27-2017, 11:53 AM
Outraged!

I thought for sure we were seeing an homage to/rip-off of the TNG where Beverly gets stuck in that weird, constantly compressing parallel universe.

I was mostly right.
Old 12-02-2017, 01:32 AM

I really liked this week's episode. It had an interesting scifi premise, it dealt with several long-running plot threads, and had some good character development. There are times where Orville's need to be a TNG homage holds it back, but this week felt like they very intentionally set out to improve on the formula in ways that worked well. Specifically this week, we got to see the Geordi LaForge transition to being chief engineer that was an unexplored potential plot line and casual aside in TNG.

Tags
not a pipe , not family guy in space , not galaxy quest , not star trek , other other space , seth macfarlane