The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 05-12-2019, 08:17 AM
This Guy

I like FFXIII, but it somehow manages to be both linear and disorienting. FFX backs its linearity with more of a comforting feel.
Old 05-12-2019, 08:20 AM
Out Of Warranty

Pronouns: He/him

And in FFX you can see how the world is connected, as regions and towns shift from one climate to another. You can walk the entire continent and see how it all fits together, and you can even backtrack! In FFXIII you just go from one isolated level to another, so there's no real sense of an interconnected world, just one videogame level after the other.
Old 05-12-2019, 11:44 AM
Brain Genius

Pronouns: he/him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
Hey! Me too!

Well, second time, and I was in the mid-40s, since Yunas Floral Flallal form is kind of broken, unless the RNG does not go in your favour at all, all you need to do is cast Grand Whirl and White Wind every turn and just patiently wait for the victory screen to appear.

The game also locked on me and caused my Switch to reset during the ending cinematic, but that’s okay. I got the closure I needed in the story.
I didn't even touch those, despite getting them for each character. I basically only changed dresspheres if I had to. I'm probably Doing It Wrong, but I got through the game just fine (once I understood to not immediately go to the Hot Spots but instead traverse the whole world and level up a bit).

I figure I'll mess around with them in my New Game + run, which I'm already a few hours into. I beat Chapter 1 while doing zero sidequests on my first playthrough, so this time I did them all. No wonder I was struggling in the first two chapters! I was severely underleveled. Granted, now that I have tons of abilities from my first playthrough, things are easier anyway. I'm having fun trying out dresspheres I didn't use much the first time around (Dark Knight is good, for example).

Has anyone played through Last Mission? I intend on giving it a shot after this New Game + run, but I was wondering if it's super difficult. I'm going to try it either way, but I hope it's not impenetrably hard...
Old 05-12-2019, 11:48 AM
Mystery Contraption

Pronouns: He

Last Mission isn’t extra content so much as it’s a completely different genre of video game (in this case, Mystery Dungeon style Roguelike), so asking whether or not it’s harder is kind of dicey ground.
Old 05-12-2019, 11:53 AM
Brain Genius

Pronouns: he/him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
Last Mission isn’t extra content so much as it’s a completely different genre of video game (in this case, Mystery Dungeon style Roguelike), so asking whether or not it’s harder is kind of dicey ground.
Right, I knew that, and probably should have said so, sorry. I like roguelikes, but the hardest one I've ever beat was Shiren on DS. I tend to like the Pokemon Mystery Dungeon games more... I guess I was wondering which end of the spectrum Last Mission fell on between those two poles (difficult = Shiren, easy = PMD)
Old 05-13-2019, 02:55 PM
I hunt Mondays.

Pronouns: He/Him/His

It's been about a month and I'm not sure how much longer I'll be playing Mobius Final Fantasy.

I mean, I do like playing it, but much like previous mobile games I liked, and that one city in Pokémon Black and White, and Animal Crossing in general,* I'm starting to feel...it. And by it I mean that the game is starting to feel like a routine, a little more like chores to do than a fun time.

Go talk to everyone in that one villager-trading town with battles and (maybe) rare swag in Pokémon Black to make sure it doesn't become a ghost town. Visit your Animal Crossing town every day to buy new items/dig up new fossils/water the flowers/pull the weeds/make sure that one villager you like stays. Check in with Record Keeper Brave Exvius Dissidia Opera Omina Angry Birds 2 Star Wars Commander Pac-Man** Digimon Links Animal Crossing Pocket Camp Fallout Shelter Star Wars Galaxy of Heroes Bust-A-Move Journey Terra Battle Star Wars Battlefront 2 Gran Turismo Sport Mobius every day for your daily gift and daily mission(s) to do to get more shit.

I've enjoyed all those games to one extent or another, but the routine gets old after a while.

Another thing that has me questioning why I keep Mobius on my phone is just how unstable the app is. Like, the game closed in the very first round I did today, after using an elemental attack on one of those monster dogs.

Fight from a few days ago. Stuff like this looks awesome but that skull in the background was already slowing down normal fights before the monsterman showed up.

Like, at best the app closing or freezing up is a minor inconvenience since you can resume play before the freeze (at worst you have to do all that deck-equipping again), but the instability definitely gets annoying after a while. I know I could always turn down the graphics settings to see if that helps, but I kinda don't want to because the change from high quality to medium quality is basically going from "Could be mistaken for a low-end Xbox 360/high-end Xbox OG-san game" to "As fuzzy and muddy as a native Nintendo 64 game" and I'm not really sure it'd do much good anyway.

Even if Chibi Echo is unimpressed I needs my hi def Darth Wizzerd cosplay.

With that said, it might pass. I'm feeling the fatigue a bit now, but I was already considering playing a few more rounds as I was typing up this whole post. Whether I play it for another month or delete it tomorrow, I don't regret my time with Mobius.

Sure could use that extra 4 gigs of space for 90s cRPGs.

* Regardless, Pokémon Standard RPG Gear Editions and Animal Crossing Another Damn One are still both huge Switch selling points for me because I already have The Disease.

** Pac-Man is still a mainstay on my device 'cuz the daily rewards are just coins for buying new stage packs (Or buying an extra life if you're an idiot/deathly allergic to stupid video ads) and the coins don't really matter all that much.
Old 05-13-2019, 03:05 PM
hang high, soft star

Why are you using skill fodder scolls in your main deck?
Old 05-13-2019, 03:21 PM
I hunt Mondays.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serephine View Post
Why are you using skill fodder scolls in your main deck?
I don't really know what you mean.

But if you're referring to Wind Helios, I'm using it 'cuz it's a card that hits everything and has levels to gain. Realistically I have a pile of maxed Lv.70 cards already, but I like to use cards that aren't leveled up all the way.
Old 05-13-2019, 05:14 PM

Mobile game burnout is pretty easy to achieve. Just play at your own pace. If you find yourself getting bored, take a break. Come back when you have the itch again. I like Mobius b/c it's a game you can play at your own speed.

I've heard annecdotally that the android version of the game does have some stability problems, which is a bummer. I play the game on iphone and steam - both are super solid. It's a great game to play on steam b/c I can just kinda auto battle and alt+tab while doing my daily web browsing.
Old 05-13-2019, 05:47 PM
I hunt Mondays.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WisteriaHysteria View Post
Mobile game burnout is pretty easy to achieve. Just play at your own pace. If you find yourself getting bored, take a break. Come back when you have the itch again.
Yeah, I might do that once my Mobius gift box dies down.

Quote:
I like Mobius b/c it's a game you can play at your own speed.
Oh for sure. It's just that it can get a li'l tiring fighting the same enemies all the dang time. If it's not the li'l floaty guys and the big demon men it's the PSICOM soldiers and their doggos.

Realistically I get that it makes it easier to get dupes of cards for fusing, but I like to see new monsters more than once in a full moon. Like, I was excited when that monster thing in the photo above showed up instead of yet another fight with the 'Guard Scorpion' boss I fought like five or six times on those bridges.

Quote:
I've heard annecdotally that the android version of the game does have some stability problems, which is a bummer.
I've no doubt that's just the price to pay for supporting an OS that's on nigh everything instead of a more fixed platform.

I mean, the same could probably be said for PC too (the 'on nigh everything' part I mean), but Android phones have a much wider array of different resolutions and capabilities to design around. In contrast, Apple's fixed market (iPhones and iPads) undoubtedly makes it much easier to make sure things work right.

Quote:
I play the game on iphone and steam - both are super solid. It's a great game to play on steam b/c I can just kinda auto battle and alt+tab while doing my daily web browsing.
I ever get even a half-decent laptop again, I might look into that Steam version sometime.
Old 05-14-2019, 12:46 PM
YOU FOOL??

Pronouns: He/Him

Quote:
Originally Posted by conchobhar View Post
I'd go as far as saying that she's just as important as Amano in crafting the series' visual identity— or maybe even more. Happily, she seems to finally be getting wider recognition in the anglosphere… she was actually at a con last year as part of a Brave Exvius promotion (my friend met her and got her autograph… I'm more than a little jealous).
Kazuko Shibuya fans may also be interested in the official western release of FF DOT, a coffee table book of the pixel art from the series.
Old 05-14-2019, 01:11 PM
The Hyblid Framer

I have the Japanese version -- it's actually completely translated already. The Shibuya interview at the end is printed in both Japanese and English. I wonder if the western release will be any different.

It's a good book. My only real complaint is that a lot of the characters are missing their original sprites. Shibuya did new sprites for basically every main character in the series in this book, and for some reason, the FFIV section doesn't include the original character graphics alongside them.
Old 05-17-2019, 05:08 PM
Too Big For Smash?!

FYI the music bug in Final Fantasy VII's Switch and XBONE ports (where the area BGM would reset completely after a battle instead of picking up where it left off) has been fixed in a patch today. Supposedly it also fixes a visual error which causes the screen to briefly flash black before an FMV loads.

I honestly made my peace with them never fixing the music bug, so this is most welcome news.

Now where's the same fix for FFIX? :|
Old 05-22-2019, 09:14 AM
Rogue Robot

Pronouns: he / him

A pair of pieces of FFRK fan art by https://twitter.com/reirotic too good not to share with more people.

(Both of these are *very* common equips in RK because they boost the element you want to be using with Galuf/Squall)
Old 05-22-2019, 09:16 AM
hang high, soft star

Hahahaha, I literally had my Squall in Serah's swimsuit, that is too perfect.
Old 05-22-2019, 09:29 AM
I hunt Mondays.

Just got Ultimania Archive Volumes 1 and 2 from my Dad as a late birthday gift. Only asked him to get me the former (and some new screen protectors) so I'm extra excited that I now have two books to look through.
Old 05-22-2019, 09:47 AM
Out Of Warranty

Pronouns: He/him

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetManMas View Post
Just got Ultimania Archive Volumes 1 and 2 from my Dad as a late birthday gift. Only asked him to get me the former (and some new screen protectors) so I'm extra excited that I now have two books to look through.
My only gripe with the Ultimania volumes is that many screenshots are from the ugly Android/PC ports of the SNES games =/
Old 05-22-2019, 09:58 AM
I hunt Mondays.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Positronic Brain View Post
My only gripe with the Ultimania volumes is that many screenshots are from the ugly Android/PC ports of the SNES games =/
I don't mind that so much with 5 anymore. 6, on the other hand...

Anyway, the official art's the main reason I got these. I can tolerate a few awkward mobile screenshots.

Tags
anniversary , arby corwen , buttz , cloud computing , drink your goddamn tea! , fear of old threads , ff12 is worst , final fantasy , forking bards , i'm captain basch , let's mosey , no ff8 on switch , numbers go up , penalty for being bard , seńor behemoth , spoony bards , square enix , the great ff9 war , what the fork? , your favorite ff is shit , your loathed ff is good