The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about books

Old 04-09-2019, 11:53 AM
World of Darkness Returns

Quote:
Originally Posted by estragon View Post
X-Men Vol. 2 #1: As a comic it's extremely bad, and it launches an extremely rocky time in the X-line. But . . . it sold a bajillion copies and everyone loves Jim Lee's awful costumes. (Okay, the Rogue and Cyclops costumes were good. But Jean Grey and Psylocke are pretty embarrassing.) Marvel would to sell a bajillion copies again, please.
I always looked at this comic (and the books that followed it leading up to Fatal Attractions) being kind of the tie-in to the animated series? As someone who never read a single X-Men comic prior to that show it was fun being like "holy shit Magneto is a so cool" and whatever.

And then I got sad when I talked to Claremont and he said he didn't like that era because he'd tried so hard to get Magneto to get along with everyone.
Old 04-09-2019, 02:02 PM
この世の最も無智なる者

The 90s cartoon definitely used the X-Men #1 Jim Lee costumes, and I also was one of the millions of children who begged their parents for it at Wal-Mart. There was for sure a virtuous cycle of best selling comic ever-->popular cartoon that uses those visual designs-->that comic sells even more.

That was all part of Claremont getting fired though so it's understandable that he doesn't like those issues and probably doesn't care for what came afterward.

There are contemporaneous interviews post-X-Men #1 hype but pre-firing, and he talks like he's planning for years and years of more stories. Why wouldn't he? It was hugely successful and he had been on the book since the 70s. But they pushed him (and Simonson) out for Jim Lee (and Liefeld) to be in charge, who then left more or less immediately to do Image. I doubt he was very happy about it. Niceiza and Lobdell and others did what they could with the mess left behind by all those shakeups but . . . it was still a mess.
Old 04-12-2019, 03:13 AM
till the sheriff stops by

X-Statix is coming back for a giant-sized special issue this Summer. The series was really spinning its wheels towards the end so hopefully more than a decade away from the characters re-invigorates Milligan's writing (I always felt Milligan to be an EXTREMELY hit or miss writer, often with the mainstreamness of the book inverse to his writing ability). Well, anyway, it's still going to look gorgeous.

This is the saddest Doop ever.
Old 04-17-2019, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSL View Post
As a person who grew up with 90s X-Men this makes me very excited (spoilers for new X-Men Blue):

Not sure if its intended to be the same same (since there's only one underling that lines up with who showed up in UXM this week), but it looks like "evil" Magneto is just motherfucking Joseph. All of the shitty 90s people are getting a comeback.

Oh, and Kwannon is back.
Old 04-17-2019, 11:33 AM
Mystery Contraption

Pronouns: He

Got to respect a guy who has a throne shaped like his own hat.
Old 04-17-2019, 12:02 PM
この世の最も無智なる者

Quote:
All of the shitty 90s people are getting a comeback.
I won't be reading it any time soon but I have to admit that I think that guy coming back is pretty funny. There could be a good story in it? They definitely did not tap into the potential of the concept back in the 90s.

I know this has been said before but this all seems kind of inevitable giving that people who grew up on 90s comics are now more likely to be writing these books, so their obscure continuity callbacks are more likely to come back from extremely messy 90s stories instead of Claremont/Simonson era stuff. That's not necessarily bad if done well. (This is not a comment on whether or not it's being done well, I have no idea.)
Old 04-17-2019, 12:11 PM

If you really care:

They kill him before the end of the first issue he appears in. Kwannon jumps in and decapitates him and then starts shouting at the X-Men in Japanese while Logan loosely translates for them.
Old 04-17-2019, 01:14 PM
Senhor Member

I liked Joseph because he was in one the random 90s X-comics I had as a child and he had an entry in the DK X-Men book. RIP. Oops, sorry, RIP.
Old 04-17-2019, 01:21 PM
この世の最も無智なる者

Quote:
They kill him before the end of the first issue he appears in. Kwannon jumps in and decapitates him and then starts shouting at the X-Men in Japanese while Logan loosely translates for them.
Hmmm. Seems fine, at least from a summary?

I think the original concept for the character was to undo Jim Lee undoing Claremont's decades of character growth, but since they scrapped that made made him a clone and pushed him offstage anyway he's pretty disposable narratively. Between those silver age issues where Magneto was retconned to be a robot, being reverted back to a baby and re-aged, Joseph's retconned origins, and the double Xorn retcon there's a lot of hilarious identity confusion with Magneto.
Old 04-17-2019, 01:27 PM
Mystery Contraption

Pronouns: He

It is one of my all time favourite bits of X-Men lore that Magneto was given amnesty for the crimes of being Magneto because he was briefly turned into a baby, and back again.
Old 04-17-2019, 01:49 PM

I was fine with Joseph in the 90s, I just think he's kind of a dumb character to go back to now? I honestly don't even remember how he got written out in the 90s, I just remember Magneto getting his memories back and Joseph just kind of...stopped appearing.
Old 04-17-2019, 01:55 PM
この世の最も無智なる者

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
It is one of my all time favourite bits of X-Men lore that Magneto was given amnesty for the crimes of being Magneto because he was briefly turned into a baby, and back again.
The Magneto babification story is some good silver age nonsense.

He had no appearances for ~3 years because he accidentally made nigh-omnipotent baby that turned the tables on him, in terms of who is and who isn't the baby.

Quote:
I was fine with Joseph in the 90s, I just think he's kind of a dumb character to go back to now?
From your summary it sounds like they are . . . not going back to him.
Old 04-20-2019, 06:48 PM

Yeah, I guess he is totally disposable.
Old 05-13-2019, 10:30 PM
この世の最も無智なる者

I remember how these covers had me convinced as a child that this mini was For Adults Only Serious Business and probably too scary for me, but they just did a Jay and Miles Xplain episode about it and apparently it's Larry Hama off the wall nonsense.

Old 05-13-2019, 10:39 PM
Are You Sure About That?

Pronouns: He/Him/His

I mean it has the Aliens' Pulse Rifle in it, it can't be all bad.
Old 05-14-2019, 11:34 AM
Born in the USA

Pronouns: he/him

https://comicbook.com/marvel/2019/05...e-powers-of-x/

Hickman's not just writing a couple miniseries, the entire X-Men line is being canceled and relaunched.
Old 05-14-2019, 12:04 PM

I'm crossing my fingers that Mr & Mrs X is isolated enough to survive it.
Old 05-14-2019, 01:19 PM
この世の最も無智なる者

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyblue View Post
I mean it has the Aliens' Pulse Rifle in it, it can't be all bad.
Oh, to be clear, I meant off the wall Larry Hama nonsense in a totally positive sense.

Quote:
Unfortunately I think this already had a Marvel style soft-cancellation through suddenly disappearing from the solicits that came out April.

I really like Kelly Thompson and wish she could have a book at Marvel that really takes off. I worry that maybe Captain Marvel was her big shot and it's basically doing . . . okay.

edit:

Al Ewing's response when asked if he'll get an X-Book out of this:

Quote:
M.H. Williams (people may know him from USGamer):
Hey man.
Hey.
Where your X-Book, man? Hit me with those X-Men like you do with the Hulk.

Al Ewing:
I'd rather rule in Hell than serve in Heaven.
Old 05-14-2019, 01:38 PM

Nothing beautiful is allowed to live at Marvel.

Except Squirrel Girl.
Old 05-16-2019, 02:12 PM
There he is!

Quote:
Nope

Quote:
Yes. 12 is our last issue. But I’ve known since last summer that this was coming (we all have - & have been planning accordingly) We knee would get 10 - 12 issues & I tried to make the most of them—to move Rogue & Gambit fwd as both characters & a couple. I’ve loved every minute.

Tags
adam x the x-treme , ah cain't touch yuh remy , berserker barrage , chayeh , claremont's boner , focused totality , foreverial tiedup x-men , marvel , mental domination , no quarter asked , none given , scumbag gambit , x-men , xavier is a jerk