The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about TV and film

Old 11-13-2016, 09:07 AM
Programmed to Jingle

Quote:
Originally Posted by TirMcDohl View Post
...Until I actually brought the voice back in my head, I never made the connection. Yep, it's totally Duke Phillips.
Me too!

What happened to him was a duketastrophe!
Old 11-13-2016, 09:17 AM
Your life is forfeit

OK, I just watched "Pen Pals," and not only does Pulaski accept the validity of Data's emotional attachment to the alien girl he's been chatting with on his cosmic ham radio, she actually defends it. Maybe something dumb is going to happen in the back half of the season, but so far what we have here so far is a legit character arc in which she's gone from sneering derision, to discovery, to acceptance/support.

tl;dr: Pulaski haters are wack.
Old 11-13-2016, 10:11 AM
Overwhelmed by Absurdity

Pulaski talk incites me to post my rehash of an old meme of 'shopped La Forge w/guest star Pulaski once again.

Old 11-15-2016, 08:48 AM
Programmed to Jingle

The Cloud Minders is about a planet that saw the first little bit of Metropolis and said "Oh! That! Let's make our planet that!". And it opens once again with the Enterprise being called in to get some medicine for a dying world (and, once again, not actually sure if it gets delivered). And the delivery of the medicine is interrupted because the planet is split between subterranean workers who all dress like Marvels Moleman, and the Wise Artists who all live in the clouds (and wear wizard robes/almost nothing, depending on gender-lines), and the two groups are super racist and warring civally.

Anyway, turns out that the workers (who are called Troglytes, which even the crew thinks is a little on the nose) are sick of working in smelly caves full of Poison gas, and the sky-people say "Well, you're all mentally retarded so whatever!" which is super rude. Holy crap, 1960s! Geez!

As it turns out some of the gases in the mine actually cause people to turn violent and kind of dumb with exposure, and despite the fact that fully half the planets population is made of geniuses, not one of them ever considered, or is willing to entertain the possibility, that the nine full of harmful gas could harm the people who spend all their time digging up rocks with their bare hands (the rocks are all styrofoam, so the bare-handed thing gets a pass). So Kirk kidnaps the leaders of both factions and forces them to dig rocks at gunpoint until the gas makes them crazy and violent and thus saves the day with the exact opposite of diplomacy.

And then they spend an awful lot of time with the denouement and Spock almost falling in love with the beautiful semi-nude daughter of the Head Smart Guy when the planet they were supposed to be saving it literally minutes away from totally dying. Get the friggin' lead out, Kirk!
Old 11-15-2016, 09:28 PM
????? LV 13 HP 292/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
And it opens once again with the Enterprise being called in to get some medicine for a dying world (and, once again, not actually sure if it gets delivered).
"Space: the final frontier. These are the voyages of the starship Enterprise. Its five-year mission: to deliver medicine."

(Freddy Pharkas: Final Frontier Pharmacist)
Old 11-17-2016, 04:51 AM
Programmed to Jingle

So, one day, 50 years ago, Gene Roddenbury woke up with a start and proclaimed for all to hear "THIS ONES FOR YOU, OCTO!" and set about writing The Savage Curtain. An episode after an interminable number of Racism metaphor and Exciting Cold War Dramas and failed medical delivery stories is just straight up bonkers.

The Enterprise is just hanging around checking out a volcano planet when it almost runs smack dab into Abraham friggin' Lincoln who is just hanging out in space like it's no big deal!

AHHHH YES! YESSSSSS!

After confirming that, yes, it is actually Abe Lincoln, Kirk and Spock go down with to the surface of the volcano planet and also meet Surak; the Vulcan Jesus. Who is also hanging around after being dead for millennia. AND ALSO down there is Genghis Kahn, as well as Kahless the Unforgivable (looking and acting WILDLY different than he did on TNG) and two other guys.

As it turns out, the volcano planet is the home of a lava man (with one of the nicer looking costumes seen on the show) who just can't Figure out what makes human-shaped aliens bother with morality, so he plucked histories greatest heroes and villains and put them all together and said "Okay now FIGHT!" in order to determine whether Good was better than Evil.

HOLY CRAP THE SHOW JUST BECAME SECRET WARS!

Anyway, team Good Guys wins, but only because they wound acting like sneaky jerks and cheated. And the Lava Man said "Well, that's inconclusive..." and puts everyone back. And the stories over. Because all good things must Come to an end.

Also, Kirk tried to punch the lava man after forgetting he was a man made of lava. And I also can't help but feel that the lava man was pulling from a strangely limited pool of historical Good and Evil figures. But that's just nitpicking.
Old 11-17-2016, 05:08 AM
McBear

Yep. Merry Christmas, Octo.
Old 11-17-2016, 05:18 AM
Your life is forfeit

Well, "Up the Long Ladder" was more corny than cringey. I was unhappier about the Enterprise crew's unilateral aversion to cloning than I was the dopey Irish stereotypes. And I really enjoyed the bit between Pulaski and Worf at the beginning. So yeah.
Old 11-17-2016, 07:48 AM
Bertolli?!?...

Default Some Kind of Lazy Writing

Old 11-17-2016, 08:13 PM
Safe Space

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parish View Post
Well, "Up the Long Ladder" was more corny than cringey. I was unhappier about the Enterprise crew's unilateral aversion to cloning than I was the dopey Irish stereotypes. And I really enjoyed the bit between Pulaski and Worf at the beginning. So yeah.
It's an unfocused mess. "This will be an episode about Worf dealing with an embarrassing illness. No wait, it's going to be a comedy about Irish immigrants. Actually, let's do a serious episode about cloning and bodily autonomy."
Old 11-18-2016, 05:37 AM
Your life is forfeit

I didn't say it was good, just that it was bad in a different way than I had been led to believe. And even though it went absolutely nowhere the part with the Klingon tea ceremony was great (as well as another indication that the showrunners were big dumb weebs).
Old 11-18-2016, 03:51 PM
I. Love. It.

So the end of Season 6 of DS9 happened and Dax is dead and it's all very sad and then there's a few episodes at the start of Season 7 dealing with the fallout as Sisko figures out WTF happened to the Prophets and Ezri tries to find her place in the void Jadzia left and all that, whatever.

Then Take me out to the Holosuite happened.

I think I have a new favorite episode in all of Star Trek. I must have missed this one when it first aired, or only caught half of it or something, because I don't recall enjoying an episode so much. It's absolutely absurd from top to bottom in just the right way, one of the episodes that really shows off the strength of DS9's ensemble cast, and packed with a whole bunch of individual moments that are just really great: Worf's overly aggressive Klingony lines ("Death to the opposition!" "Find him and kill him!"), Odo really REALLY getting into being Umpire, Nog's surprising moment of casual racism when he couldn't tell the Vulcans apart, kind of stealing the ending from that one Simpsons baseball episode (Rom getting distracted by the signals and blundering into the final hit). Heck even the Niners' logo was really clever.

But I think my favorite moment of all is the final shot of the episode which zooms in on the baseball signed by the whole team and we see that Quark adds little Ferengi ears to the 'Q' in his name when he signs it and that is just precious.

So yeah, utterly delightful episode. I can't wait to see Octo's reaction to it whenever he gets around to the seventh season of DS9, it is the textbook definition of an Octo Episode.

(honestly I've been feeling really down for the past couple of days, and I actually really needed the laughs here)

Last edited by SpoonyBardOL; 11-18-2016 at 03:53 PM. Reason: Pour another one out for O'Brien's shoulder
Old 11-18-2016, 05:03 PM
the :motion: stands

On my rewatch of the whole series, that episode served as a wonderful capper to the amazing ensemble DS9 had. Truly an outstanding episode for anyone invested in the things that made DS9 really special.
Old 11-19-2016, 05:46 AM
Programmed to Jingle

All Our Yesterdays was... confusing. The Enterprise is called in to help evacuate a planet that's about to explode (the planet doesn't even have spaceships, so how is a mystery, as well as why they'd be showing up at all, Prime Directive and all), but it turns out they didn't need to help since the planets empty except for a weird old librarian. And Kirk et all decide to look around the library after having a pointlessly cryptic conversation. Kirk reads a book about musketeer times, and Bones one about the ice age and whoops, turns out they werent just in a library, they were in a one-way time machine, the planets population just evacuated into their respective favourite eras rather than sit around waiting to explode. Also, this planet invented time machines before rocket ships, I guess. Can't fault their priorities.

Anyway, while Kirk tries to convince the inquisition that he isn't a witch, Bones and Spock are stuck in the ice age where they find a cave dwelling lady in a swimsuit (in the arctic...) who was that eras refugee. But I guess nobody told her any details about the time-travel evacuation thing and she assumes she was arrested by an evil time-travel librarian, and just wants human contact and so she starts seducing Spock. Which works because it's thousands of years ago so. Vulcans hadn't discovered the joy of total objectivity yet (why this would affect Spock is not really addressed, but it leads to some good scenes).

Eventually, the crew learns that while each of the refugees are stuck in their respective eras, they are not because they didn't Time-travel RIGHT so they just head right back to the present and get the hell out of dodge before the planet disintegrates. And then the triumphant end-credits music kicks in just as a supernova turns the world to dust.

Kind of get the feeling the writers were starting to slum it this close to the finale.
Old 11-20-2016, 11:08 AM
Your life is forfeit

"All Our Yesterdays" also resulted in several Star Trek novels, for better or for worse.

I finished up TNG season two today with "Shades of Grey," and episode in which Pulaski kills off a legion of pathogens with a clip episode. One sympathizes with the pathogens.

Pulaski report: By the end of the season (and her tenure on the show), she has proven herself a capable and compassionate physician, has slowly come around on her technological aversions, and her final on-screen interactions with Data consisted of her feeling bad for attempting to use him as a ringer and the resulting crisis of confidence it instilled in the android, telling Picard that Data's "algorithms" were as valid a source of self-doubt as human emotions.

Final Pulaski scorecard: She started out unlikable, but pretty much half the cast did. And like the rest of the cast, she demonstrated character growth as she became integrated into the crew. She would have been pretty great if she'd been allowed to stick around into better-written seasons. In summary, Pulaski haters are objectively wrong.
Old 11-20-2016, 12:02 PM
120 Days

Agreed.

I kinda hate that she was sort of erased from history too. No shitty cameo in Nemesis even.
Old 11-21-2016, 06:23 AM
Programmed to Jingle

So what better way to end the series then with a freaky-Friday episode? One which is not particularly good but which had a good actual title; Turnabout Intruder.

The Enterprise is called in for (SURPRISE!) medical assistance to a bunch of researchers who are almost all now dead, and leading the researchers is one of Kirks old lady-friends. And she's sad, partly because she's dying of radiation exposure and mostly because she's a woman and figures that's the reason she never got to be a spaceship captain (actual reason is that she's pants-on-head-crazy) and while Kirk is wistfully thinking of memories past with her, she gets up and chucks him into a Brain Swapping Machine she discovered on the radioactive planet. So now she's a mighty ships captain and doesn't have a uterus bugging her all the time! Also, Kirk is now a woman and about to die.

Anyway, NOT!Kirk figures that her obsessive research into Kirks history and the Enterprises operation would be enough that nobody would notice she mind-swapped anyone, but doesn't take into account the fact that she's completely nuts and that people notice a thing like that (I complain about Kirk a lot, but he doesn't go around ordering executions willy-Nilly like Lemongrab), and also ACTUAL!Kirk keeps insisting she's got Kirks soul in a woman's body which Spock verifies.

Anyway, after a court-martial trial against Spock doesn't go her way, NOT!Kirk orders everyone he killed and then Spock just jams everyone's souls back where they belong with his telepathy (I... guess?) and Kirk resumes control of the ship and Whatshername goes off to die of massive radiation poisoning. And that's it. Shows over.

Definitely not as strong of a finale as All Good Things. To it's credit, Seeing Shatner ham it up like a crazy person is always fun though. And Whatshername (whose essential filmography will be posted for my information any post now) did a startling accurate Kirk impression for her scenes.
Old 11-21-2016, 08:09 AM
120 Days

Watch TAS now!!!
Old 11-21-2016, 08:16 AM
Programmed to Jingle

Quote:
Originally Posted by chud_666 View Post
Watch TAS now!!!
Of all the unnecessary requests put forth on this forum...
Old 11-21-2016, 08:26 AM
120 Days

One ep I have in mind I can't wait to read your review.
Old 11-21-2016, 09:44 AM
Your life is forfeit

Yeah, the Animated Series was basically created with Octo in mind. I'm just worried that once he finishes with his commentary, this thread will fizzle out the way any series based on will-they-won't-they sexual tension does once the core relationship is consummated.

"Star Trek": The "Moonlighting" of Talking Time threads.
Old 11-21-2016, 10:36 AM
Programmed to Jingle

I've covered a few episodes earlier in the threead and came to the conclusion that since the first episode involves dealing with a star that's haunted by a magnetic ghost that there could, perhaps, be no more Octo a piece of work.
Old 11-21-2016, 02:33 PM
120 Days

Quote:
Yeah, the Animated Series was basically created with Octo in mind. I'm just worried that once he finishes with his commentary, this thread will fizzle out the way any series based on will-they-won't-they sexual tension does once the core relationship is consummated.

"Star Trek": The "Moonlighting" of Talking Time threads.
The ep I'm thinking of is (octo don't read) meet Satan on that planet and find he is misunderstood
Old 11-21-2016, 02:39 PM
McBear

That, yes, is a Very Octo Episode.

It is logical.
Old 11-21-2016, 02:58 PM
Programmed to Jingle

Just took a quick tally and of the 75 (ish) episodes of TOS, 18 had the Enterprise needing to offer medical aid as a starting point. Sometimes it was delivering medicine, or Bones needed to operate, or they were just clearing up the corpses of the already dead, but something medical needed to be done.

Of those eighteen episodes, five ended with the crew definitely succeeding and saving people. One of the instances where they failed was the corpse-removal episode.

In one special aversion, the planet was perfectly healthy, and Kirk introduced bacteria that wound up causing a planet-wide Pandemic that would ultimately kill everyone.

In conclusion; the Enterprise is not likely to save you if you are sick or Injured
Old 11-21-2016, 07:00 PM
Programmed to Jingle

Watched two more episodes of TAS and *phooooooo* they were a thing.

Except for the alien itself, The Survivor could have easily slotted into the regular series. The Enterprise is called in to rescue the pilot of a damaged spaceship and it turns out to be a phenomally famous entrepreneur who used his vast wealth to save planets in desperate trouble, and who spent the last five years missing and presumably dead. And by sheer coincidence, his fiancé is also working on the ship! Wow! What a happy occurrence.

And a medical exam indicates that he's only mostly human. Also, when he's talking to Kirk later, he suddenly turns into a spaghetti monster, then knocks Kirk out, and then turns into Kirk and pilots the ship right into Romulan space! So anyway, he isn't entirely on the level.

The guys fiancé finds the Spaghetti Monster after he runs off and he reveals that he feels terrible about everything, and that he's pretended to be That Guy so long he's pretty much become that guy and likes being a beloved millionaire a lot more then being an evil plate of evil spaghetti and she doesn't really mind the idea of marrying a giant spaghetti monster so that's a happy ending.

Also, the Romulans attack because of the air-space violation, but the Enterprise wins because the spaghetti monster can turn into spaceship parts in addition to people. The Romulan Captain kind of sounded like someone doing a Kermit the Frog impression, so that was fun.

And as for The Infinite Vulcan, this one is just friggin' mind-boggling. The Usual Chuckleheads land on a planet with lots of plants, and ruled by some broccoli-men (total population; 4) and they're super nice and calm about everything and have super-advanced technology. And that's fine. And they've got a tragic tale where they reveal that the last time a human showed up he introduced a virus that nearly depopulated the planet, then felt terrible and worked on a cure.

Oh, also, he turned SUPER GIANT and rules the planet as a God now. That also happened. Then he kidnapped Spock.

And the guy was one of the superhumans from the Eugenic Wars and he hated anything people-shaped and left the Earth to find better aliens and then clone them Big so he could bring peace to the Galaxy. He also cloned himself gigantic. And he figures that if he were to make an infinite army of Giant Spocks he could easily bring peace to the universe, and the Broccoli-Men were okay with this since it turns out they had the exact same idea hundreds of years ago, but scrapped it since they almost all died.

Anyway, this plan fails since Giant Spock is still the same as regular Spock, except for being very tall, and thus doesn't want to take over the universe. And the Federation has a reasonably good lock on the whole Galactic Peace thing. And the other Giant Man is kind of bummed out that his goal for the last few centuries is kind of pointless and also stupid, and decides to put his Giant Clone expertise to work and teams up with Giant Spock to work on reviving the nearly-extinct Broccoli man race.

And I had to pause this episode repeatedly just to make sure I was following this thing correctly.
Old 11-21-2016, 07:55 PM

The idea that there's a gigantic Spock still out there is such a heart warming idea.
Old 11-21-2016, 08:50 PM
????? LV 13 HP 292/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
Also, the Romulans attack because of the air-space violation
Or would that be an uh... space-space violation?
Old 11-22-2016, 06:04 AM
Your life is forfeit

If there's no air in space, then how does the Enterprise go WHOOOSH when it flies past, Mr. Smart Guy?
Old 11-22-2016, 07:05 AM
For Great Apollo Justice

Quote:
If there's no air in space, then how does the Enterprise go WHOOOSH when it flies past, Mr. Smart Guy?
Displacement of super-dense yet invisible dark matter, duh.

Tags
anomaly , fascinating , four lights , get the cheese to sickbay , gold-pressed latinum , i'm sensing hostility , it's a faaaake! , khaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan , live long and prosper , lt. barclay , no it's real!!! , o'brien's shoulder , octo-good , resistance is futile , reverse the polarity , science fiction , shaka when the walls fell , shut up wesley , star trek , tachyon , temba his arms wide , the punishment zone , there is one bridge! , welshy!!!! , wesley crusher