The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about TV and film

Old 03-03-2015, 03:14 AM

I'm watching the Return of Spock. Whose idea was it to make Checkov dress like a space-Pilgrim? I also like Sulu's space-kimono, even though the dude is American.
Old 03-03-2015, 03:27 AM
#deadfish2017

What's Return of Spock?

Edit: non-snark content.

Old 03-03-2015, 10:09 AM
one zero zero one SOS

Finally moving on through the TNG re-watch and, appropriately, "Unification Part 1" featured the return of Spock! I forget how Part 2 ends. Will be watching it tonight.

Also, "The Game"

One of those nostalgic episodes I had recorded as a child for constant re-watching. Yeah. This one... doesn't hold up, guys. What an absolute pile.

But honestly? While TNG has its fair share of mediocre episodes, it has way fewer outright turkeys once S3 starts. I can only really think of four episodes (including "The Game") that I'd call turkeys post-season 2.
Old 03-03-2015, 10:45 AM
Safe Space

Quote:
Originally Posted by boyonion View Post
Also, "The Game"

One of those nostalgic episodes I had recorded as a child for constant re-watching. Yeah. This one... doesn't hold up, guys. What an absolute pile.
Hey, it launched Ashley Judd's career.
Old 03-03-2015, 11:09 AM
For blood and gold

Quote:
Also, "The Game"
That and Q-pid? You are now dead to me.

The Game is not a great episode, but it's a perfectly fun Star Trek does action-suspense and is the first episode to make Wesley Crusher an interesting character. I mean, in a season with Imaginary Friend, The Masterpiece Society, Silicon Avatar, and Cost of Living, calling The Game a pile is just exaggeration.
Old 03-03-2015, 12:01 PM
one zero zero one SOS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Hedgehog View Post
That and Q-pid? You are now dead to me.

The Game is not a great episode, but it's a perfectly fun Star Trek does action-suspense and is the first episode to make Wesley Crusher an interesting character. I mean, in a season with Imaginary Friend, The Masterpiece Society, Silicon Avatar, and Cost of Living, calling The Game a pile is just exaggeration.
What's wrong with Silicon Avatar...? I really liked it.
Old 03-03-2015, 03:36 PM
For blood and gold

Quote:
What's wrong with Silicon Avatar...? I really liked it.
It's one of those episodes that's built too heavily on a guest character instead of the regular crew and the character study we're given is dry and too compressed to be a believable and/or interesting. And the "confrontation" at the end with the Crystalline Entity is just the least interesting thing ever (not that it was an interesting "villain" to begin with).

Just about everyone involved in the episode (Michael Piller, Jeri Taylor, Cliff Bole, and Brent Spiner) was disappointed with it.
Old 03-03-2015, 08:24 PM
one zero zero one SOS

I think the Entity is extremely interesting, and in the story functions as a creature driven by instinct. The doctor is driven by vengeance to remove the threat without taking measures to non-violently convince it to stop. There's no telling how compassionate it could be, but we'll never know. It's the same destructive arrogance demonstrated by people who think killing a lost wild animal is a reasonable reaction to the unfortunate mauling of some jogger. Why kill the bear if there's a possibility of returning it to its home? Why kill the Entity if you can potentially befriend it? If no malicious intent, why the extreme punishment?*

The hour is compressed, yeah, but no more than anything else IMO. And I really liked how reasonable Picard and Riker both came off, even while at odds with each other. Riker "got the girl" at the beginning, but then she died. Seemed like there'd be some melodramatic hand-wringing, but it ended up informing enough of Riker's position on the Entity to be believable (if it killed a family member or something, his stoicism would be harder to buy). Picard wrongly calls him out for being biased and gets chastised well by Riker.

There's a lot I really like in the episode. Not sure exactly why the creators aren't proud of it (maybe it's not the story they wanted to tell or something), but what was on screen worked pretty well for me.

Anyway, "Unification Part 2". Some good moments, but a bit of a let down. Commander Sela is amazingly pointless and obviously loony-toon-villain incompetent. Denise Crosby just... isn't good in the role. Stiff, unconvincing, and mediocre dialogue (not her fault). Going up against Leonard Nimoy and Patrick Stewart must be one of the most lop-sided distributions of charisma and charm in the history of television.

*I'm not trying to explain the plot to you as if you're a dummy and didn't get it or anything. Just articulating what I like about the show's central conflict.
Old 03-03-2015, 11:37 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

The Voyager episode with the crew hating and punishing a holographic representation of a Cardassian doctor is incredibly dumb...

EDIT: SO FUCKING DUMB
Old 03-04-2015, 12:56 PM
Gesundheit!

Everyone in San Francisco who encounters something weird and "outer space" about the crew in The Voyage Home responds with an odd mix of fear and apathy. The '80s!
Old 03-04-2015, 04:45 PM
King Of Space-Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falselogic View Post
The Voyager episode with the crew hating and punishing a holographic representation of a Cardassian doctor is incredibly dumb...

wat.
Old 03-04-2015, 05:28 PM
Just bear with me

Quote:
Originally Posted by taosterman View Post
Everyone in San Francisco who encounters something weird and "outer space" about the crew in The Voyage Home responds with an odd mix of fear and apathy.
Well, if a Russian guy in 1987 were wandering around asking for "nuclear wessels," I'd be a lot more worried than apathetic.
Old 03-04-2015, 05:45 PM
Gesundheit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArugulaZ View Post
Well, if a Russian guy in 1987 were wandering around asking for "nuclear wessels," I'd be a lot more worried than apathetic.
That's the thing, nobody acts on that, even the cop. But I'm thinking more of characters like the sanitation workers who see Kirk emerge from the Bird of Prey.
Old 03-04-2015, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falselogic View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daikaiju View Post
wat.
So basic rundown: The Doctor has a medical problem that he can't solve, so he Holodeck's up the Cardassian/Bajoran equivalent of Dr. Mengele to brainstorm with, since this problem was something the real version worked on during the Occupation.

It's basically like that episode of TNG with Geordi and Leah Brahms with more Holocaust overtones, but EVERYONE else on Voyager thinks it's a horrible thing. Which means it's either the absolute worst idea ever or the best, since the crew of Voyager has bad decision making skills, but in this case the blind squirrel finds a nut and this really is a bad idea.
Old 03-04-2015, 06:40 PM
Gesundheit!

That episode was kind of silly, but I did like that Voyager was the only Trek to really explore the ethical implications of the holodeck, instead of just using it as a lazy storytelling device.
Old 03-04-2015, 07:28 PM
an eeling of Christmas

Voyager feels like it should have been the advanced version of starfleet ethics (especially given the strange and unfamiliar territory they were in regularly and the lack of supplies they had) and yet every time they explore the ethical implications of things other series took for granted (see also: the Q continuum) they do it in a goofy way that almost trivializes it.

that said, props for the confederate metaphor, that was actually pretty cool
Old 03-04-2015, 07:53 PM
Are You Sure About That?

The episode was probably meant to evoke that period of history post-WWII where medical science advanced leaps and bounds based on what was learned from Mengele's et al's experiments. There were all kinds of arguments against using that knowledge considering the sourcing, but the prevailing argument was that destroying that knowledge was a waste, both in terms of potential lives saved and in terms of the human cost already paid.
Old 03-04-2015, 08:03 PM
Safe Space

Quote:
Originally Posted by muteKi View Post
Voyager feels like it should have been the advanced version of starfleet ethics (especially given the strange and unfamiliar territory they were in regularly and the lack of supplies they had) and yet every time they explore the ethical implications of things other series took for granted (see also: the Q continuum) they do it in a goofy way that almost trivializes it.
At least Ron Moore was able to use it as practice for Battlestar Galactica.
Old 03-04-2015, 08:06 PM

I had no problems with that episode. We see far worse holodeck shenanigans on a regular basis that make far less sense. I thought it brought together a bunch of moral conundrums and then addressed them in a largely responsible manner.

Like, I know Voyager was a sloppy and haphazard show. But the anti-Voyager circlejerk I can't really abide by. The asspulls and ethical decision making is honestly on the level with TOS. Voyager in my mind is probably the most faithful Star Trek to the original series in terms of corn, writing quality, and tone. If we can let things slide, or laugh at TOS for being silly, we ought to be able to do the same with VOY. I understand the impulse to take Star Trek super cereal, but I think in this instance it's going too far.
Old 03-04-2015, 08:18 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by WisteriaHysteria View Post
I had no problems with that episode. We see far worse holodeck shenanigans on a regular basis that make far less sense. I thought it brought together a bunch of moral conundrums and then addressed them in a largely responsible manner.

Like, I know Voyager was a sloppy and haphazard show. But the anti-Voyager circlejerk I can't really abide by. The asspulls and ethical decision making is honestly on the level with TOS. Voyager in my mind is probably the most faithful Star Trek to the original series in terms of corn, writing quality, and tone. If we can let things slide, or laugh at TOS for being silly, we ought to be able to do the same with VOY. I understand the impulse to take Star Trek super cereal, but I think in this instance it's going too far.
I'm not anti voyager. I've been enjoying the show by and large. I just thought that the setup failed in setting up the ethical dilemma in that show
Old 03-04-2015, 08:25 PM
#deadfish2017

Speaking of Voyager's doctor, was there ever a satisfactory explanation why a hologram could pick up a thing?
Old 03-04-2015, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki View Post
Speaking of Voyager's doctor, was there ever a satisfactory explanation why a hologram could pick up a thing?
Aren't holograms elaborate sets of force fields enveloping light projections? IIRC they say that multiple times.
Old 03-04-2015, 08:42 PM
#deadfish2017

Satisfactory I said
Old 03-04-2015, 09:01 PM
who's she

I like how Red Dwarf addressed that problem, which was to say "hard light" and just move on before anyone could ask any awkward questions.
Old 03-04-2015, 09:10 PM
Safe Space

He works the same way the shields work.
Old 03-04-2015, 09:21 PM

I don't know what's unsatisfactory about the idea that you can make a hologram, and then let it touch things by putting a forcefield - the same kind we see deployed all over star trek to create artificial barriers out of thin air - around said hologram.
Old 03-04-2015, 09:42 PM
who's she

Yeah, what's really unsatisfactory is thinking about how the holodeck must handle it when two or more people go to different places within the same simulation. I.e. they're actually standing right next to each other and some kind of optical/auditory illusion is just making it seem like they're not. But you're still expected to care about what's happening.
Old 03-04-2015, 11:03 PM
Just bear with me

Quote:
Originally Posted by taosterman View Post
That episode was kind of silly, but I did like that Voyager was the only Trek to really explore the ethical implications of the holodeck, instead of just using it as a lazy storytelling device.
That was, admittedly, an interesting aspect of Voyager.

"We're from the Holographic Liberation Front! Give us your enslaved holograms or we'll destroy you!"
"But they're just programmed for simple tasks! They can't think!"
"Lies! Now face your doom, oppressors!"
(beams up holographic projectors and blows up the ship)
"You're free! How do you feel?"
"I AM BENDER. PLEASE INSERT GIRDER."
"Oh. Oh crap."
Old 03-05-2015, 07:45 AM
King Of Space-Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki View Post
Satisfactory I said
Space wizards.
Old 03-05-2015, 08:00 AM
#deadfish2017

Ooooooooh! Great! TY.

Tags
anomaly , fascinating , four lights , get the cheese to sickbay , gold-pressed latinum , i'm sensing hostility , it's a faaaake! , khaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan , live long and prosper , lt. barclay , no it's real!!! , o'brien's shoulder , octo-good , resistance is futile , reverse the polarity , science fiction , shaka when the walls fell , shut up wesley , star trek , tachyon , temba his arms wide , the punishment zone , there is one bridge! , welshy!!!! , wesley crusher