The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about TV and film

Old 10-01-2018, 07:25 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Pronouns: they/they
Default Who has the time for this sort of thing these days? Halloweenie Movies 2018

Yup, once again I am subjecting myself to at least 13 movies this Halloween season. I think this is the 3rd or 4th time I've done so? Who can really even know?! I might even do 31 movies, but I can't commit to it now because life is busy and I can't spend as much time just sitting in front of the television as much as I'd like these days.

What will I, and Matchstick if he so chooses, be watching this year? More movies I have never seen before! And you know scary and stuff!

Behold!

1. Girl with All the Gifts
2. Halloween 2 (1981)
3. Session 9
4. Nightmare on Elm Street 2: Freddy’s Revenge
5. Psycho 2
6. Candyman
7. Poltergeist 2
8. Hellbound: Hellraiser II
9. The Omen
10. Blair Witch (2016)
11. Exorcist 2(?)
12. The Quiet Place
13. Friday the 13th Part 2
14. Insidious
15. Evil Dead (2013)
16. Manhunter
17. Alien 3 (One of the cuts, is there a good one?)
18. Martin
19. The Wicker Man (1973)
20. Witchfinder General
21. Black Sunday (1960)
22. The Innocents
23. Nina Forever
24. Rosemary’s Baby
25. Silence of the Lambs
26. Halloween H20
27. As Above, So Below
28. The Devil’s Candy
29. Alien Covenant
30. Texas Chainsaw Massacre II
31. Halloween (2007)

What does this have to do with you? Well, you could join in! We can even watch it together if we can arrange it (that's what Discord is for, right?) Or you can leave your comments here. Or trash my comments! Whatever makes you happy! According to most of you I don't read any of the posts here anyway, so whatever you say won't bother me!
Old 10-01-2018, 08:18 PM
till the sheriff stops by

Some good ones this year. And not so good ones. But you are starting the year off with a good one, in my opinion.
Old 10-01-2018, 08:55 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Default Girl With All the Gifts

You just can’t trust a zombie. Doesn’t really matter what flavor they come in. The Girl with All the Gifts is a twist on the regular formula. I can’t say if it is original. I’ve sort of tried to stop watching zombie things. I’m ready for mummies, or banshees, or kelpies to take their place. Maybe this is less a twist and more a mash-up of bits and pieces I’ve seen in other zombie or zombie-esque films. This time it’s fungus to blame for the hordes of mindless munchers. Except there are some children who were infected in-utero and they seem to retain most of their humanity.

The movie opens with these kids being taught, and experimented on, in a secure military facility. One of these kids, the titular one even, is about to be dissected. The head scientist at the base seems to think she can create a vaccine from the girl’s brain. But of course, before that can happen the base gets overrun. And the girl escapes. She meets up again with a few survivors and they try to make their way to another base.

There are some boring parts. We learn about the fungus and the movie tries its damnedest to make you care about the girl. She’s just like us! Except she eats cats and eventually betrays all of humanity. Which maybe makes her the most human of us all!

As I said, you can’t trust zombies. You can’t trust anything that looks at you like you’re food.

I cannot wait for that kelpie movie I tell you what!
Old 10-02-2018, 04:47 AM
Phantoostic Fantasm

Pronouns: He

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Unusual View Post
Some good ones this year. And not so good ones. But you are starting the year off with a good one, in my opinion.
Of those I’ve seen before, two thirds are very good!

I have only seen three of this years offerings (a fourth is in my backlog, however)
Old 10-02-2018, 09:20 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Default Halloween 2

So what is Michael Myers? 12 bullets, including at least one to his head, and he just kept coming. Why would fire even stop him (it) at that point? Also, for someone who spent the majority of his life sitting in an institution staring at the walls the guy is surprisingly technically competent! He knows how to disable cars, pick locks, disable power and telephone lines.

Also, pray you never get sent to a hospital in small-town Indiana, where there are only ten people working and at least half of them are incompetent.

I don’t think this one was as good as the first. But, wow, how tame older horror/slasher films used to be, huh? Plenty of tension and that theme music!

That theme music!
Old 10-03-2018, 07:34 AM

Pronouns: 'He' & co

I liked GWATG quite a lot.
I chose to see the ending as humanity fucked up their turn, so this new species, that proved that had intelligence and thus could evolve culture and technology, had and deserved a chance at becoming the new ruling species, and who knows, maybe these ones would not fuck the planet as much. Melanie, just having seen how mankind treated them and each other, simply arrived arrived to the logical conclusion that they did not deserve to survive. Good Riddance, I say.
Old 10-03-2018, 07:57 AM
120 Days

Pronouns: He/him

Alien 3 - all cuts are good. Some things i prefer in the theatrical but the Assembly Cut is very good, makes a bit more sense.
Old 10-03-2018, 04:18 PM
????? LV 13 HP 292/

Pronouns: he, him, his

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falselogic View Post
Also, pray you never get sent to a hospital in small-town Indiana, where there are only ten people working and at least half of them are incompetent.
A scathing indictment of the American healthcare system.
Old 10-03-2018, 09:19 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Default Psycho II

I liked this film. I think Anthony Perkins did a wonderful job coming back to the role of Norman Bates after 20 years. I really enjoyed this film, up until they introduced Norman’s real mom in the last five minutes of the film. It would have been a better film without that. It would have been a better film with us not knowing what happened and without the deus ex machina explanation of a “secret mom” for Norman.

Also, it makes total sense that Fairvale is in Kern County. That place is crazy. =P
Old 10-04-2018, 02:09 AM
There's no thread shortag

May I ask why you don't mention the name of the movie you're talking about in a post (well, most of the time *g*) Just out of interest...
Old 10-04-2018, 07:11 AM
Phantastic Oil

Pronouns: He/Him

False is putting the names in the post titles.
Old 10-04-2018, 08:15 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Default Session 9

It’s weird when you watch a movie with no color correction and maybe even shot on actual film these days. It looks positively old-fashioned. You forget that there are things such as natural lighting and entire ranges of the color green!

Anyway, Session 9 is a story about a lonely man who tries to bury his loneliness in work. Bad news for him and everyone who knows him though. His work is cleaning up an abandoned insane asylum. We’ve all seen this movie before. So, I don’t really have to say anymore. Despite that cliche, it’s handled well. There’s a fake in there but it's pretty obvious. The message about mental illness is not so great either, problematic you could say, but if you get upset about that you have to throw the entire horror genre into the trash. Not quite a slasher, not quite a haunted house movie.

Maybe the evil spirits that possess us along the way were the point all along?
Old 10-05-2018, 12:23 PM
There's no thread shortag

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBear View Post
False is putting the names in the post titles.
*sigh* Tapatalk...
Old 10-05-2018, 09:42 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Default Nightmare on Elm Street II: Freddy's Revenge

I’ve never seen so many tanned, muscled, young teenagers in a horror movie. I don’t know if I’ve seen that many since high school swim team. I'd say that there was a gay subtext to this film. But, no its mostly just text.

The subtext really just becomes text right around the time the protagonist runs away from his girlfriend and, somehow, ends up in the bedroom of his male school rival who is asleep in bed… Needless to say, the rival isn’t wearing much... Or when the high school PE coach, in leather chaps and vest, is tied up and spanked in a shower.

Not really subtext at that point, and mostly just gay peril.

Not a great horror movie.
Old 10-06-2018, 08:54 AM
l AM THE MANFIGHTER

Yeah I have a soft spot for Session 9. Not a classic by any means, but a well done psychological creeper.
Old 10-06-2018, 02:13 PM
Nonplussed

Travelling at the beginning of the week meant that I got a late start. False and I worked up the list a while back, but my plan, at least, was to do some more hashing out of the list, but suddenly it was October. Falsie's semi-theme was sequels, so I went with that where possible, but for example, I'd suggested switching to Halloween 3 rather than Halloween 2. It's all fine, though. We'll watch some stuff!
Old 10-06-2018, 02:18 PM
Nonplussed

The Girl with All the Gifts

Mrs. Match watched this with me (which she won't be doing much of with this list) and we both enjoyed it. I thought it started out stronger than it ended. The scene at the market near the end felt a bit forced, in particular. I concur with Sensenic's read on the ending, although I thought it was interesting that Melanie was willing to try to co-exist with humans.
Old 10-07-2018, 07:01 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Default Candyman

Candyman

Am I the only one who watched this entire movie thinking the lead was played by Gillian Anderson?

I enjoyed this film it’s an interesting blend of “Bloody Mary” and the “Hook” stories in American Folklore. This movie to centers on the role of folklore in urban settings, with the eponymous Candyman being a mythical figure that has become the cause of all the horror in Chicago’s housing projects and ghettos.

The movie never really tells us whether there is an actual Candyman or if people’s beliefs have caused him to manifest. The story could be read as either or both being true. I especially liked the ending wherein the lead assumes a similar, though now avenging spirit, role in the community.

This was a fun watch.
Old 10-07-2018, 07:41 PM
till the sheriff stops by

Candyman is a good movie. And Tony Todd is also good. In closing, good.

EDIT: Looking at Tony Todd's IMDB page, he does not sleep.
Old 10-08-2018, 06:46 PM
Nonplussed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Unusual View Post
Candyman is a good movie. And Tony Todd is also good. In closing, good.
Truth. I'm really looking forward to watching this one again.

Halloween 2

I hadn't seen this since it came out originally, because I remembered being pretty underwhelmed by it. Halloween is pretty much my favorite horror movie, so the odds were against it to begin with, but my opinion was confirmed on rewatch. It's a bit boring and it introduces the idiotic "Laurie is Michael's sister" idea. My lukewarm reaction is also why I had suggested we should watch Halloween 3 instead. I also didn't totally dig that one, but I've wanted revisit it for a while to see if my opinion would change.
Old 10-08-2018, 08:45 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Default Poltergeist II

Poltergeist II

Oof. This is a problematic movie. Full of magic Native Americans in touch with ancient wisdom and existing solely to provide aid and comfort to the overworked, middle-class white people plagued by supernatural problems.

The story picks up right where the first left off with the Freelings now homeless and living with their in-law. Who dies shortly into the film, right before the presences and the “Beast” from the first film find them and continue their haunting of the family. All still in pursuit of the creepy little blond girl (is this where this trope came from? Or was Children of the Corn first?)

Anyway, with additional help from their spiritual guide, Taylor (the aforementioned Native American) the family is able to defeat the Beast and save themselves from the offending spirits.

It felt a lot less atmospheric or scary than the first one. Nothing as terrifying as the guy tearing his face off after cooking chicken in the microwave that was in the first one… Ugh, that scene still gets me.
Old 10-08-2018, 09:59 PM
????? LV 13 HP 292/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falselogic View Post
It felt a lot less atmospheric or scary than the first one. Nothing as terrifying as the guy tearing his face off after cooking chicken in the microwave that was in the first one… Ugh, that scene still gets me.
Maybe it was because of how young I was when I first saw it but that is a pretty horrifying scene right there (even before that part).
Old 10-09-2018, 01:31 AM
Phantoostic Fantasm

Definitely; Poltergeist is the kind of movie that was completely terrifying for, like, two thirds of its run time. Then actual monsters start to show up, and I kind of gave a relieved shrug and said “Oh, they’re just monsters.”
Old 10-09-2018, 04:31 PM
????? LV 13 HP 292/

That seems like a pretty rare response to any horror movie.

"The monsters have appeared! Oh, I'm so relieved..."
Old 10-09-2018, 07:54 PM
l AM THE MANFIGHTER

See the final stretch of Jeepers Creepers. *spoiler?* Once the monster is fully revealed, it's not creepers any more.
Old 10-09-2018, 08:09 PM
120 Days

Pronouns: He/him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Sly Ry View Post
See the final stretch of Jeepers Creepers. *spoiler?* Once the monster is fully revealed, it's not creepers any more.
The real monster is the director
Old 10-09-2018, 09:04 PM
Nonplussed

Netflix is delayed getting me Session 9, so I'll move on and come back to that one.

Nightmare on Elm Street 2: Freddy’s Revenge

Another one I haven't seen since it originally came out. My opinion wasn't as low as for Halloween 2, and I remember not enjoying it quite as much as the third Elm Street, either. It's not scary per se and it screws with the rules for how Freddy works. The first Elm Street has some great scenes of unsettling dream imagery (see: a body bag being dragged along in the hall of a high school) which don't show up here and he didn't originally need a body to possess to kill people. If this hadn't been a Elm Street and the baddie hadn't been Freddy, it would have worked better. That said, it's fine.
Old 10-09-2018, 09:07 PM
Nonplussed

Psycho II

I didn't think I'd seen this, but two minutes in, I realized I had back in the day, although I didn't remember any of the details. As Falsie says, Anthony Perkins is good and it works as a thriller without needing the last minute shenanigans. It also made me want to rewatch the 90s Body Snatchers to see Meg Tilly really lean into a wooden performance.
Old 10-09-2018, 09:55 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Default Hellbound: Hellraiser II

Hellbound: Hellraiser II

Ugh. I don’t even know. I guess this is some people’s thing? It just seems like edgelord S&M gorefic. Lots of fake blood. Lots of razor blades. And lots of body horror. And what do they do with all of that? Not really anything. The story is only the thinnest and flimsiest of strings to connect each special effects masterpiece!

All the masterpieces are composed of pig intestines and red corn syrup.
Old 10-10-2018, 05:12 AM
Phantoostic Fantasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by chud_666 View Post
The real monster is the director
I was honestly kind of excited when I saw Jeepers Creepers 3 show up on Netflix because I thought the Creeper was a cool monster and surely they wouldn’t let that guy back in the studio making movies ever again.

And, well, they did.

Tags
falselogic likes to watch , halloween