The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about books

Old 11-29-2017, 06:04 PM
We just don't know.

Default Are there any good book discussion forums?

You know, kind of like TT or Resetera or something in that vein, but for books instead of video games.

A lot of time when I finish reading a book, I'd really love to find some analysis, theories, interpretations, all of that. Where I can go back and read, or participate with, people breaking it down and diving into it and discussing it.

If not a forum, is there a good source where people just, like, write that kind of stuff about books? Certain blogs or pages? Whenever I look online, all I can usually find are a lot of reviews and sparknotes stuff.
Old 11-29-2017, 06:25 PM
This way up

To be honest, I often come to our very own book threads for that kinda stuff.
Old 11-29-2017, 06:40 PM
Tell me about your mother

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teaspoon View Post
To be honest, I often come to our very own book threads for that kinda stuff.
Yeah, I do this, or go to various sub-reddits about a book/series/author (uhhh, some of them aren't toxic hell holes?).

If there are better places for this kind of stuff, I'd be curious, too.
Old 11-29-2017, 07:02 PM
This Guy

Our book threads are good, but they aren't exactly super busy.

I don't know any real good places. Tor.com has good fantasy/sci-fi stuff.
Old 11-30-2017, 01:14 AM
We just don't know.

Honestly, I don't find the discussion in our book threads or subforum very useful at all for anything remotely in-depth. In the few attempts that have been made to make a thread for a specific book or series, discussion lasts a measly page (two or three pages if extremely lucky) before dying down. Posting in What'cha Reading is useful only for a brief cataloging of what someone is indeed reading at that very moment and will only ever generate substantial discussion or indeed any sort of response at all if it falls within a very narrow window of interests (which is to say: if it's Wheel of Time, in which case we'll spend another 5-10 pages having the same discussion we've had before over again). I was kind of hoping that there might be some place out there where people put the same kind of time and effort into discussing books that we here put into discussing video games and movies/tv shows.
Old 11-30-2017, 06:48 AM
It's all good, man

The thing is there's a lot of books and not a lot of people read them
Old 11-30-2017, 07:31 AM
Bertolli?!?...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul le Fou View Post
Posting in What'cha Reading is useful only for a brief cataloging of what someone is indeed reading at that very moment and will only ever generate substantial discussion or indeed any sort of response at all if it falls within a very narrow window of interests (which is to say: if it's Wheel of Time, in which case we'll spend another 5-10 pages having the same discussion we've had before over again).
"The forum turns, and arguments come and pass, leaving threads that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the argument that gave it birth comes again."
Old 11-30-2017, 07:35 AM
Shill for Big Cow DNA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline View Post
The thing is there's a lot of books and not a lot of people read them
Uh, okay.

Anyway, it sounds like you're looking more for literary criticism. It seems like a lot of that sort of discussion hasn't gone online, it's still held within graduate programs, theses, and academic journals. Even Goodreads isn't great about discussion.

I would contact the English/Literature program at one of the universities and see if there's a journal they publish in. There might be a good discussion forum there.

I'd also call bookstores, most do in-person book clubs but I'm sure one in your area has an online message board or something.
Old 11-30-2017, 07:45 AM
Gesundheit!

I really like Scott Esposito's blog Conversational Reading for that kind of thing. I'm not sure if he still does them, but he used to conduct "read-alongs" of interesting, dense fiction, and there are a bunch in his archive. Forums I'm not so sure about.
Old 11-30-2017, 07:46 AM
It's all good, man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violentvixen View Post
Uh, okay.
I worded that stupidly but I think unless you're reading popular new releases it's hard to get a good discussion of a specific book going unless you have a dedicated reading club.
Old 11-30-2017, 08:09 AM
Thanks for noticing me

If you really like something you could try braving the fandom; smaller fandoms are often pleasant and not insane like larger ones can get.

I'd love to be a part of like a dedicated literary community, maybe with book reviews and the like? I'm not sure I read enough to keep up with something like that though.
Old 11-30-2017, 11:20 AM
Merry Christmas, Ma

This sounds like more of a reddit/tumblr kind of thing that you're looking for. And in both cases it'll be completely dependent on what kind of network you're able to work yourself into.
Old 11-30-2017, 12:16 PM
This Guy

I just feel bad that I don't have time to read books right now (that aren't textbooks) let alone discuss what I've read.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBear View Post
"The forum turns, and arguments come and pass, leaving threads that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the argument that gave it birth comes again."
The thread's still there if we want to start that argument up again. What I've said above notwithstanding, I will argue about this. I wrote 15000+ words about WoT on my blog and I am entirely out of things to say about it, but I won't let that stop me.
Old 11-30-2017, 01:17 PM
It's all good, man

I'm reading Wheel of Time right now. Well, not right now, I'm reading other stuff in between books 5 and 6.

When Jordan isn't describing what women are wearing, or what they're not wearing, or where their folded arms are in relation to their breasts, or what women think about men, or what men think about women, it's okay.
Old 11-30-2017, 07:03 PM
All are Santa Saturn

Do we have any kind of Let's Read thread? Read X, chapters 1 - 3, discuss, so on.
Old 11-30-2017, 07:25 PM
Outraged!

Quote:
Originally Posted by four-so View Post
Do we have any kind of Let's Read thread? Read X, chapters 1 - 3, discuss, so on.
Thatís what the stickied book club thread is for, in theory. Hasnít gotten much love.
Old 11-30-2017, 08:02 PM
Merry Christmas, Ma

Yeah the book club gets very little attention. No fault of the organizers', to be sure.
Old 12-02-2017, 09:53 AM

I used to browse the book forum on SA religiously. I found there's a lot more in depth discussion relative to the rest of the web, but a lot of it is wrapped up in megathreads similar to TT. Also, the other half of the book subforum is dedicated to genre stuff like ASoIaF/Sanderson/Dune etc. There's nothing wrong with that, it's just a little too prolific on the web - I'd prefer to branch out and see more diversity in topics.