The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about books

Old 10-01-2018, 01:02 PM
of the Black Falcons

Pronouns: he, him
Default The Books of Earthsea, collected and illustrated edition, releasing October 30th

Ursula K. LeGuin's The Books of Earthsea, containing all of the books and short stories from the series plus a new story, and Illustrated by Charles Vess, is coming out on October 30th.

Quote:
Contains the short story, 'The Daughter of Odren', published in print for the first time, and the brand new story 'Firelight'.

Now for the first time ever, all together in one volume, The Books of Earthsea, contains the early short stories, Le Guin's 'Earthsea Revisioned' Oxford lecture, and new Earthsea stories, never before printed. With a new introduction by Le Guin herself, this essential edition will also include over fifty illustrations by renowned artist Charles Vess, specially commissioned and selected by Le Guin, to bring her refined vision of Earthsea and its people to life in a totally new way.

- 1,008 pages
- 56 illustrations (including seven lavishly coloured plate sections)
- maps of Earthsea
- stunningly beautiful endpapers
- Six novels
- 4 short stories
- An essay

Stories include: 'A Wizard of Earthsea', 'The Tombs of Atuan', 'The Farthest Shore', 'Tehanu', 'Tales From Earthsea', 'The Other Wind', 'The Rule of Names', 'The Word of Unbinding', 'The Daughter of Odren', and 'Earthsea Revisioned: A Lecture at Oxford University'

I've been following this for a while, and while it's a real shame that it didn't come out before she passed away, she spent a lot of time working with Vess on it and I'm glad that they'll all be collected in one volume. I read the books digitally (yeah, I somehow missed them as a kid), so I'm excited to finally have a physical version. Plus, I love the Bone Prequel, Rose, that Vess illustrated, and he seems like a great fit for Earthsea too.
Old 10-02-2018, 08:21 AM
Mr. Jackpots

Pronouns: he/him

I might buy this with money
Old 10-21-2018, 03:42 PM
Evocative

I've only read the first book, and about a year ago I decided to hold off on reading the remainder until this book came out. Very excited to read it in this format.

This account of the Vess-Le Guin collaboration is wonderful.
Old 10-23-2018, 04:52 PM
Don't Stop Believin'

I've been really hankering to read the original trilogy again, and this looks beautiful, but 1,000 page omnibuses are hard to read on the train...

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Old 10-23-2018, 08:27 PM
Evocative

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakupo View Post
I've been really hankering to read the original trilogy again, and this looks beautiful, but 1,000 page omnibuses are hard to read on the train...
I got an early copy today. It's as gorgeous as advertised, but it's also thicker even than I expected and quite heavy. I cannot wait to sit down and read.

You can sometimes find the paperback of the first four books (ISBN 9780241956878) in US bookstores: that could definitely be taken on a train.
Old 10-31-2018, 07:05 PM
この世の最も無智なる者

I've seen some "never read it before, can't wait to read this whole series to my young children!" comments online. This is probably not a great idea for your average child, at least after the first three books.

A good chunk of the fourth book is an extended rumination on feminine domesticity and the complications of new relationships and sex for a widow in old age. And another major theme is dealing with the trauma of sexual assault.

I love that after taking a decades long break from her beloved fantasy series that she thought she was done with, she came back to basically ask, "Okay, but what's it like to be a house wife in this world?" And by thinking through those and other women's issues, in her later work she essentially writes a detailed feminist critique of her own early work. (And then, later, a critique of the portrayal of death.) I love Earthsea precisely because it's both the classic late 60s/early 70s fantasy and also the decades later critical reappraisal and feminist reimagining of genre tropes, but written by the same author. But by the time that self-directed critique starts in Tehanu the series is not exactly kid friendly.

I don't think I would have even appreciated it fully enough in my 20s, let alone as a young kid.

Tehanu is focused on adult themes, and not "adult" as in grimdark, but "adult" in that a lot of it is invested in an exploration of the complexity and mundanity of adult responsibilities and relationships.

. . . anyway, I hope I get this for Christmas. I want it totally irrationally because it looks like a beautiful object, but I read all these too recently to really justify buying it.

Last edited by estragon; 10-31-2018 at 07:24 PM.
Old 10-31-2018, 07:30 PM
Bob

I've never read these and bought the compilation right away. It's sitting on my reading chair, it looks like a delight. Can't wait to dig in.
Old 10-31-2018, 09:18 PM
Works for me

I'll probably get this in another week and I'm very happy. I've only read the first three books and barely remember anything about Tehanu. I read these when I was 14 or 16 so coming back to them when I'm pushing 30 might offer more insight than before.
Old 11-01-2018, 06:50 AM
Mr. Jackpots

Pronouns: he/him

I also bought this. It's real pretty and heavy. I will dig in in a few months, probably.
Old 11-01-2018, 07:22 AM
of the Black Falcons

Pronouns: he, him

Im going to pick this up this weekend if I can find it!
Old 11-12-2018, 08:23 AM
We just don't know.

I gladly and immediately dropped money dollars on this. I lost my paperback collected copy a while ago, and it looks beautiful.
Old 11-12-2018, 11:48 AM

I'm reading The Farthest Shore right now. I'm enjoying it - given is themes, it is an unpleasant and lifeless read, but they are interesting themes, and i like Le Guin's prose. I'm a dumb reader! That's all i can say.

I'm curious to see why Le Guin chose Arren as a protagonist. He gives a different perspective on Ged, but there's probably more.

So far, i've loved the previous books. The second book makes you think back on the first book as a story of privilegy, and it is - but it doesn't make A Wizard Of Eartshea less interesting to me. This sort of thing is what we want everyone to have, right.

The Tombs of Atuan was quite the emotional experience. Great stuff.

Tags
earthsea , ursula le guin