The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about meatspace games

Old 08-05-2017, 12:31 AM

I can't believe I'm about to drop about the same amount of money if not more on PitchCar than I am Cthulhu Wars. Damn this expensive hobby lol.
Old 08-06-2017, 04:30 AM
Space dad

Worth it though, IMO! Every time a CW Kickstarter comes around I sell some older stuff off to pay for it, and I can't even remember what afterward, when I'm playing Cthulhu Wars all the time. At this point my gaming group's tastes are set enough that branching out usually means less return on investment, in terms of playtime, than simply getting more of what everyone likes. I introduce a game or two a year but it's kinda tough to get new stuff to catch on with most of them.

They're most likely not doing a fourth of these, so if you're interested in Cthulhu Wars this is going to be a relatively cost-effective way to jump in.
Old 08-07-2017, 02:40 PM
and ermine, too

2x Innovation
3x Mottainai
1x Bohnanza
1x Snowdonia
1x Honshu
2x Deadline
2x Frank's Zoo
2x Bohnanza: The Duel
1x Between Two Cities: Capitals
1x Sticheln
1x Burgle Bros
1x America

Every time I play Snowdonia, my rating has risen significantly (it was initially a 6, after this week I raised it to 8 on BGG). It has been great with 2, 3 and 4 players.

A lot of these plays were with Anthony's friends from California... Bohnanza, Frank's Zoo, Between Two Cities, Sticheln, and America.

Deadline is fine with the correct rules, very unique but not a replacement for The Grizzled or Witness. I'll happily play all 12 cases.

After playing the two "new" Innovation expansions, my opinion... Figures > Artifacts > Cities > Echoes. Maybe it's time to play with everything. :P
Old 08-07-2017, 11:18 PM
Space dad

If you are pledging for Cthulhu Wars OS3 or are otherwise so inclined (because it appears to be an open survey), please consider voting up my Colossobot entry in the Contest of a Thousand Forms! It's a hard-to-kill respawning robot that chases down and punches whoever's in the lead. Sort of the Blue Shell of Cthulhu Wars, if the Blue Shell was a Jaeger.

Last edited by Sarcasmorator; 08-08-2017 at 12:10 AM.
Old 08-11-2017, 12:01 PM
Natural Born Critic

Oh My...

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/e...ourth-edition/
Old 08-11-2017, 06:38 PM
Space dad

Welp, time to sock away $150 I guess
Old 08-13-2017, 04:23 PM
King Of Space-Time

That... is a lot of bits.
Old 08-13-2017, 09:11 PM
An Animal of Joy

I feel like each new edition of Twilight Imperium just an aspirational item for owners of older editions to buy so they can say, "Maybe this time we'll play it."

Today I got rocked in Shogun (the cubes-in-tower one) but had a good time. I also played The Bloody Inn for the first time. It is a game about murdering and robbing tenants, kind of a more complex version of Guillotine. About halfway through I came up with a shitty strategy and said out loud, "I just came up with the shittiest strategy." I spent the rest of the game filling up the lead player's properties with nearly worthless dead peasant corpses, so on the final turn he had nowhere to bury his valuable victims and had to basically kingmake. I don't think he realized this until after, but at the time he chose me because I had earned him a few points while clogging his plots with peasants.
Old 08-13-2017, 11:05 PM
Space dad

Hey! In the nine years I've had TI3 I've played it, uh 3 times!
Old 08-14-2017, 07:43 AM
Yes, let's feast!

Dice Forge has the best box. It's got a place for all of the components, and then it's functional during the game, too.

It is also the only game I can think of where the first player starts with more currency than everyone else.
Old 08-14-2017, 09:24 AM
An Animal of Joy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarcasmorator View Post
Hey! In the nine years I've had TI3 I've played it, uh 3 times!
That's more value than I've gotten out of some games, lord knows.
Old 08-14-2017, 10:10 AM
Natural Born Critic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traumadore View Post
That's more value than I've gotten out of some games, lord knows.
I played my copy of TI3 about 6-8 times before giving it to someone else, all 4+player games, so it was easily worth the investment on a person-hour of gametime basis when compared with many other board games.

That said, it doesn't hold a candle to the number of Power Grid, Carcassonne, and Hanabi games we played on that statistic.
Old 08-14-2017, 06:49 PM
Space dad

Cthulhu Wars OS3 is having a heck of a last day.
Old 08-17-2017, 01:13 PM
King Of Space-Time

First look at IDW's Centipede game.

Old 08-19-2017, 10:09 PM
Radical Sandwich Anarchy

For the first time in... a long time? ever?, I actually got four people together for a few hours of board games.

First up was Awful Fantasy, which me and my local buddies sat down to play while waiting for the out-of-towner to arrive. It would've been good for that, but our fourth showed up just as we picked up our hands so we dealt him in and now this perfectly good low-thought time waster was just kind of a speed bump on our way to the meatier games. This probably won't see a lot of play, considering how rarely we're able to get together for games.

Roll Player was the star of the show today. There is a lot of stuff going on at once in this game, and it is not easy to grasp it all at the start. I had the advantage of having read the rulebook (twice) and played a solitaire game earlier, but you're trying to hit so many targets at once that the game is almost impossible to explain in small, easily digested chunks without the learner having shot themselves in the foot at least twice by the halfway point of the game. It doesn't help that you don't know precisely how many points you have until the actual end of the game so it can be difficult to keep track of your progress.

All that said, while the first game was really rough everyone was eager to play again once they knew what they were doing. Some questions still came up in that second game, but overall it went far smoother and the game was a much closer competition. And then I thought I won, then it turned out I lost because the guy in second place had forgotten to count an entire category of points, so that was a rollercoaster of emotions.

For a quick palate cleanser between rounds of Roll Player, we broke out Tanto Cuore: Oktoberfest (I say, like it wasn't one of the very limited number of games I had set out). The suggested maids for the first time playing the game were kind of boring, but I still had plenty of fun as did the one friend that's played a lot of two player TC with me. The other two didn't seem to enjoy it as much; one seemed to have a love hate relationship with a certain card and kept buying it while also complaining bitterly about how often it came up in his deck and the other was distracted by all the in-jokes flying between myself and the other TC vet. Overall this session was a bit lackluster compared to some of the Tanto Cuore games I've been in, but I'd like to try this expansion with a different maid loadout that better encourages interacting with its unique mechanics.
Old 08-21-2017, 07:24 AM

2X Alhambra
1X Taj Mahal
2X Great Western Trail
1X Dominion
1X Roll for the Galaxy

(Over the past 2 weeks)

Great Western Trail has become my favorite board game. I have a constant craving to play it and think about it. I've played it 4 times and feel like I'm still finding new strategies. The way the systems interact is genius.

I've had good luck so far with rushing my train forward and grabbing a Station master tile early in the game, then ignoring the train for the remainder of the game and focusing on buildings and cattle cards. And buying hazards once my engine is reasonably developed.
Old 08-21-2017, 10:27 AM
Bertolli?!?...

Quote:
Originally Posted by balder the brave View Post
Great Western Trail has become my favorite board game. I have a constant craving to play it and think about it. I've played it 4 times and feel like I'm still finding new strategies. The way the systems interact is genius.

I've had good luck so far with rushing my train forward and grabbing a Station master tile early in the game, then ignoring the train for the remainder of the game and focusing on buildings and cattle cards. And buying hazards once my engine is reasonably developed.
This looks like something that I would love, and the Shut Up & Sit Down review almost had me running to buy a copy, but I don't think I'd ever manage to get it to the table if I did.
Old 08-21-2017, 10:47 AM
hidden in snow

(click for big)

I upgraded some mismatched Target shelves with some IKEA Kallax over the weekend. Even though I have some stuff I need to sell (like my duplicate sealed copies of Dreadfleet I acquired) I'm still pretty close to full. Realistically I should look at playing all the current games and paring them down, but I have space to place another pair of shelves and start filling that up too.
Old 08-21-2017, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBear View Post
This looks like something that I would love, and the Shut Up & Sit Down review almost had me running to buy a copy, but I don't think I'd ever manage to get it to the table if I did.
Your first two games (assuming 3 or 4 players) take 4 hours to play. We had to consult the rule book frequently.

With that experience under your belt, subsequent games take about 2.5 hours. You'll need some friends willing to stick it out! But well worth it.
Old 08-21-2017, 01:05 PM
An Animal of Joy

Played Photosynthesis yesterday with prototype (read: poorly translated) rules. Game seems kinda staggeringly half baked for being so nicely produced otherwise. Everyone was continually frustrated.

Lost in a 4-player Shogun match, but it was much closer. Lots of super funny rivalries, surprising maneuvers, and a harsh winter at the end that saw farmer revolts swipe probably 25+ points from players right before the end of the game.

Unearth was a simple dice game with two contradictory strategies of either collecting ruin cards by rolling high, or collecting materials to score Wonders by rolling low. Seems like the former strategy will always spoil the latter though. The game was over quick (i.e. all ruins were collected) even though most of the players were actively trying to build wonders. The art is nice, reminiscent of Monument Valley I am told.
Old 08-22-2017, 11:43 AM
and ermine, too

1x Innovation
3x Spirit Island (new)
1x Löwenherz
3x Kashgar: Handler der Seidenstrasse
2x Kingdomino (new)
2x maskmen
2x Okey Dokey
2x Thurn & Taxis
2x Whistle Stop (new)
2x Würfel Bohnanza
1x Bohnanza: The Duel
1x Festival of Thousand Cats
1x Cacao
1x Ricochet Robots
1x Targi
1x Automobiles

I haven't updated in a while, this post covers everything since August 10.

Spirit Island is the highlight of both weeks. An intricate coop that I never would have played if Anthony hadn't bought it. Think Mage Knight: the Board Game or the LotR/Arkham Horror card games.

I think a lot of people played Whistle Stop at GenCon, but I had my preorder copy last week. Pretty fun tactical puzzle, and I like how players control where the tiles come out.

Löwenherz is one of my favorite games from the 90s, so that was a treat. :]

Kingdomino was better than I was expecting, I might get a copy for myself in anticipation of the expansion.

I finally won a race in our Automobiles season, three races in and now everyone's "deck" is degenerate. All good fun, though.

Also quite a few games that I hadn't played in a while... Kashgar, Thurn & Taxis, Cacao, Ricochet Robots, Targi. Looking forward to PAX next week.
Old 08-27-2017, 05:11 AM
Space dad

Finally got Twilight Imperium 3E on the table again! It's been something like six years. We couldn't finish it, of course, but we got three rounds in. Hopefully we can try it again soon enough that it's still fresh in our minds.
Old 08-27-2017, 02:36 PM
King Of Space-Time

Bob Ross: The Art of Chill

For reals.
Old 08-28-2017, 11:11 AM

1X Caverna
1X La Isla
1X Merchants and Marauders

Caverna was fun and engaging. A little overwhelming in first play due to having so many options. I went for pure farming as a way to simplify my first game. In retrospect I should have dabbled more in the mining and adventuring. Especially since the rubies become more plentiful by the end of the game and many of the best crops and animals can be gained through adventuring rewards. Can't wait to play it again.

La Isla Was bland and boring to me. I can't see any strategies that make sense other than surrounding a sub region of the board and trying to match your powers to the adjacent regions.

Merchants and Marauders Is fun pirate themed game with ship combat and trading. It can be mean though. One player got destroyed by pirates half way through the game and was never able to recover. I was in the lead halfway through the game and other players judged they had to attack me before I ran away in the lead. I prefer more Euro style games but it was still fun.
Old 08-28-2017, 11:16 AM
Inherently Stealthy

My copy of the Stop Thief! remake came in.

I am hype
Old 08-28-2017, 11:49 AM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Played Terraforming Mars this weekend. It has been on my wishlist for awhile now.

I liked it so much I ordered it before I finished playing!

Looking forward to playing it again with friends.
Old 08-28-2017, 01:02 PM
Sudden chomper

We should be picking up our campaign of Pandemic Legacy next weekend! Very excited, I only get to play this about once every 4 months.
Old 08-28-2017, 03:30 PM
Manic Brawler

Got to play Magic Maze last weekend and ooo boy, let me tell you about a game.

Magic Maze has players cooperating to move four pawns out of a tile maze. Players can move any pawn at any time, but at the start of the game everyone is dealt one direction--players can only move the pawns in the direction assigned to the player. This is done to the tune of a sand timer, and no talking--all you can do is lay a big red pawn in front of somebody to indicate they should do something. There's foibles in the game such as when a pawn lands certain one-time use spaces the sand timer is flipped and players can talk again until the pawns move once more.

So you have this game where players are frantically slamming a big red pawn in front of each other as tiles are being frantically laid out and pawns are being moved by a frenzy of hands as the sand timer all too quickly count downs until the last sand when a player flips it back over as a pawn lands on a flip-space and everyone is yelling at each other and oh god the pawns are moving again THIS GAME IS SO GOOD.

I sincerely hope it wins Spiel de Jahres this year. It at the very least deserved its nomination. If you like hilarious frantic games I highly recommend this one.
Old 08-28-2017, 03:47 PM
Video Monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falselogic View Post
Played Terraforming Mars this weekend. It has been on my wishlist for awhile now.

I liked it so much I ordered it before I finished playing!

Looking forward to playing it again with friends.
This was a standout for me at BGG last year. Really enjoyed the flavor of the cards and the way everything works together.
Old 08-31-2017, 06:39 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

A run down video on the differences between TI3 and TI4

Tags
afk , bard games , board dames , board games , board james , bro games , broad games , dice , face to face , penalty for being board , tabletop games , traditional games , wait whose turn is it