The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about TV and film

Old 03-01-2016, 05:48 PM
Kringle Machine

Default In which Octo watches The X-Files

Howdy! I'm Octo!

I was watching through the whole of Star Trek TNG on Netflix, as it was a popular science fiction show throughout the 90s that I had never seen before, and was documenting my experiences in that thread. And then Netflix pulled the show, midway through the last season. Drag.

Anyhow, rather than gripe and stamp my feet, I decided to just immediately start the other network science fiction series that was very popular in the 1990s which I hadn't seen before (in this case because the theme song scared me when I was young). You can probably guess what show it is from the title of this thread. I could have done this in the other X-Files thread we have, but that's just for the new series (or reboot, or whatever it is), and I don't want to risk spoiling myself and/or derailing the thread.

So anyway; Pilot is the shows pilot episode, which means it's about establishing characters more than telling a story. But since there's, like, three recurring characters, it doesn't take long; we're introduced to Dana "There's no such thing as mysterious!" Scully as she's assigned by Spooky Government Men to help Fox "Bad Politics" Mulder solve cases with the FBIs special Weird Stuff crime unit. In this case, there's been a string of weird deaths where the victims have no obvious wounds except for some freckles on their butts.

Turns out that the victims were all best buddies in high school, but then most of them started dying mysteriously with butt-freckles and those that didn't wound up crazier then a bed-bug in a psychiatric hospital. Sully and Mulder dig up one of the earlier bodies and, instead of finding a corpse of a reasonably healthy young man, they find what appears to be a mummified chimp. They study it and take photos, and then all their evidence burns up in a mysterious fire when they were out sleuthing out about the murders.

Anyhow, as it turns out, none of the nurses at the hospital noticed how odd it was that the kid in a vegetative coma has muddy feet, like he'd been wandering through the woods where everyone was being killed, and INDEED he was the one killing everybody. Or at least aliens were controlling his coma-body to bring back their failed human experiments to destroy them. The aliens, having been found out (I suppose?) just said "Screw it!" And stopped trying to demolish their stuff, but DID take their stuff out of the last couple of victims without murdering anyone.

Back at the FBI, none of the Spooky G-Men credit Scullys account of the story, but she has proof since she kept some weird piece of space metal from the chimp-corpse. The Spooky Guy files it away in what appears to be the warehouse from the end of Raiders of the Lost Ark.

And that's the first episode. Gotta say, pretty strong intro. Main cast is pretty likeable right from the ghetto, and there's already enough hints of an overarching story arc that I want to continue watching. Which is good since I intend to rewatch the whole thing in this thread.
Old 03-01-2016, 09:47 PM
Baby, I WANT Klonoa.

This should be a fun read now that my X-Files crazy girlfriend forced me to binge the series with her and now I know far more about this show than I ever wanted to.

Quote:
Fox "Bad Politics" Mulder
It may not be obvious now (or especially if your most recent memory of the show was this past season) but it's surprising how much the show goes out of its way sometimes to show how not 'bad politics' Mulder really is. They're not for a while, but they're some of the shows best episodes including a season 4 episode where Mulder fights anti-semitism and the proto-Breaking Bad episode 'Drive' from Season 6 that united Bryan Cranston and Vince Gilligan for the first time.

Now the Lone Gunman on the other hand...
Old 03-02-2016, 01:42 AM
New Video World is out!

I like The X-Files and I expect to see not one word of snark in this thread.
Old 03-02-2016, 03:04 AM

Agreed. The snark is out there, away from this thread!
Old 03-02-2016, 03:09 AM
Kringle Machine

Rest assured, I have no intentions toward the path of snark.

My desire to sit through the series is bone-deep and heartfelt.
Old 03-02-2016, 08:22 AM
Oily Butt Thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASandoval View Post
Now the Lone Gunman on the other hand...
But they're pitched as comic relief.

I remember being so psyched when the one dude showed up in the Ramones MONDO BIZARRO shirt.
Old 03-02-2016, 08:23 AM
For Great Apollo Justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
Rest assured, I have no intentions toward the path of snark.

My desire to sit through the series is bone-deep and heartfelt.
Whereas I will just poke fun at Vancouver every chance I get until the show relocates to LA and (coincidentally) becomes largely terrible.

DAMN YOU TEA LEONI!
Old 03-02-2016, 06:32 PM
Kringle Machine

In Deep Throat we have more hints as to a larger arc for the series when Sculder heads off to an airforce base after some experimental pilots are found to be missing after turning super, super crazy (and also covered in gross rashes, but that never comes up again, so whatever). It's also an airforce base that's supposed to be experimenting on alien technology which explains why Mulder is so dang excited about visiting crazy pilots and their weird rashes. Anyhow, the guy they went to track down wound up returning on his own, so, congratulations all around, X-File solved, except that the guy has so many gaps in his memory that his wife questions if it's even him. Mulder heads off to see if he can't find an alien ship a the base, and he might have (might also have just seen a regular ol' experimental plane), but immediately after, he's captured by the bases security and he too has his brains scrambled so he can't remember a dang thing about the experience. He and Scully opt to leave well enough alone this time since, while there's evidence that something weird is going on, acting on that information tends to get one kidnapped and their brains scrambled. Back at the FBI offices in scenic Vancouver, Mulder is confronted by the same weird suited guy who tried to discourage him from going in the first place who says "Yeah, aliens... They're always jerks like that."

Squeeze on the other hand, is exactly the sort of episode I was hoping to get from the show; there's been a series of weird murders where the victims have all been eviscerated, bare-handed, and their livers eaten. Which is pretty friggin' weird so Scullys buddy from Cop School says "Yeah, sounds like it's your kind of thing". Mulder agrees since, every thirty years, the exact same thing happens, and he's excited to meet a century-old CHUD. They find a guy hanging out in the maintenance rooms near the most recent murder, and bring him in for questioning, but have to let him go when the polygraph says he isn't 100 years old. Mulder doesn't believe it and finds the cop who was investigating one of the last groups of murders and finds a whole lot more evidence that strongly implies that it's the same guy, and heading to the place where every single murder-group started they find what appears to be a cocoon for the guy, which confirms that, yep, he's a very old, liver-eating stretchy-man, like a cannibal Gumby. Gumby tries to make Scully his last meal after he's found out, but she and Mulder knock him out and arrest him for mass-murder. Then one of the prison guards leaves a teeny crack open in the door and the end implies pretty strongly that he just squeezes through so he can... Umm... Nap for another few decades, I guess. Dude was about to do that anyway.
Old 03-03-2016, 02:18 AM
New Video World is out!

Squeeze is the episode everyone remembers.

I've been watching old eps with my mom on occasion and this one frit her. She keeps asking if Tooms is ever coming back.

"No", I tell her. "Never."
Old 03-03-2016, 04:52 AM
Kringle Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhair60 View Post
"No", I tell her. "Never."
Damn, damn, damn, damn!
Old 03-03-2016, 06:19 AM
Random guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
Damn, damn, damn, damn!
He does come back. At least once.
Old 03-03-2016, 06:57 AM
Kringle Machine

Yaaaaaay

More Murder-Gumby!
Old 03-03-2016, 08:53 AM
Merry Christmas, Ma

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Raider Dr. Jones View Post
But they're pitched as comic relief.

I remember being so psyched when the one dude showed up in the Ramones MONDO BIZARRO shirt.
It took me a long time to realize how pitch-perfect the Lone Gunmen were.
Old 03-03-2016, 10:21 AM
Oily Butt Thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ample Vigour View Post
It took me a long time to realize how pitch-perfect the Lone Gunmen were.
they are a wonderful reminder of conspiracy wackjobbing's pre-internet era.
Old 03-03-2016, 06:43 PM
Kringle Machine

In Conduit, a troubled teen and her boyfriend disappear Amidst many swirling lights (which are, apparently, hot enough to melt steel, but not cause any fires) and the details are close enough (save for the extreme heat) to the disappearance of Mulders sister that he can't help but be interested. The little brother of the abductee has also kind of gone weird and quiet and spends all his time filling up pages with binary sequences dictated to him by voices in his head. The sequences, when translated from the computer-languages of ones and zeroes (for that is how computers talk! The FBI lady said so!) is a whole bunch of nonsense. But, like, really specific nonsense. Like pictures and songs and military secrets and the like. Anyhow, while investigating the disappearces and also arresting a small child for treason (for the military secret thing), Sculder winds up finding out that the boyfriends disappearance was a good old fashioned murder (so, hey, they're actually involved with something that would concern the FBI for once), but while the killer WAS hoping to kill the teen, she didn't see her. Mulder figures that the brother is getting alien messages in binary (because aliens just like making things weird and complicated) and, sure enough the kids written so many pages of binary that they're making a huge ascii image of his sisters face. Mulder tracks the kid down and finds him next to the sister, passed out, near a whole mess of bikers, showing really irregular symptoms, usually associated with spending long periods of time in orbit. So the episode ends with no one being sure if the troubled teen just spent a few weeks with a biker gang doing lots of really weird drugs, or else she was kidnapped by hateful spacemen.

Jersey Devil involves some cannibalized homeless people washing up in Atlantic City. Which is odd even by the standards of Atlantic City, so it's declared an X-File and those two knuckleheads are on the case. Scully figures it's just a good old fashioned... Err... hobo-devouring murder spree... And Mulder figures that it's the Jersey Devil. And Mulder really should have a better grasp on cryptids then he's showing here; saying the Jersey Devil a flesh-eating caveman. Anyhow, the chief of police doesn't want the FBI investigating any cannibals because that might hurt tourism (I disagree; people go to Atlantic City to gamble, and what better bet is there then to bet your very life?) and besides, they shot and killed a big hairy looking dude who had a lot of people-pieces in his stomach. Mulder deduces, from some sexy Bigfoot fanart he found in a homeless mans coat, that there's a mated pair Jersey Devils and they only killed the dude. Of course he's right and they chase the female back to the woods and the police chief kills her too (you know, because she ate living people) and Mulder is very sad at their having killed a caveman that eats humans, figuring that she was trying to protect her young. Scully does an autopsy and can't confirm that either were cavemen, and we're just as likely a pair of feral people living in a cave. In New Jersey.

Which I guess is more likely then a pair of Neanderthals surviving to the modern day In Atlantic City
Old 03-03-2016, 06:51 PM
ah’m margaret wartahm

Squeeze scared the shit out me when I was a kid. (some... sewer... scene?) So did Jersey Devil. (not sure if that's respectable)
Old 03-04-2016, 05:39 PM
Kringle Machine

In Shadows, a timid secretary gets mugged, and her assailants get their heads partially removed without any external injuries, and that gets classified as an X-File. Mulder, naturally, assumes that the woman is a psychokinetic. Scully has a more reasonable assumption that since the womans office is under investigation for ties to a terrorist group, and the people who tried to attack her were members of that same group, that she has an unseen associate guarding her. And for once, Scully is right; she does have someone protecting her. Specifically, the ghost of her former boss/boyfriend who has become a poltergeist and is kicking the ever-loving hell out of anyone who threatens her. She and her ghosty pal help the CIA expose the companies CEO of treason-related charges and the ghost also winds up murdering him, she then leaves town partly to get away from the stress of the last few days and the stigma of being associated with terrorists, and mostly with the hope of getting away from the ghost that murders people who give her lip. The episode ends with a note that this plan failed, and she just has to deal with having a murder-ghost near her all the time, and Scully and Mulder go on a date to the Liberty Bell. Awwww.
Old 03-06-2016, 10:08 AM
Kringle Machine

In Ghost in the Machine, Mulder is called in not because someone's ghost has been kidnapped or anything like that, but because he's a very good criminal profiler and the leading investigator needs help finding a suspect in a complicated murder. Nice to acknowledge that the reason no one at the FBI questions his weird obsession with the supernatural is because Mulder is really, really good at his regular job. Anyhow, a businessman was electrocuted to death by his doorknob, and all the evidence points toward the bitter ex-employee responsible for programming the computers in charge of the buildings day-to-day operations. Especially since the guy confesses, he was confirmed as speaking to the guy when he died, and is on camera trying use those computers to murder people with elevators.

But Mulder, being Mulder, is having none of it and automatically assumes that the programmer accidentally built HAL and it was the computer itself committing murders and framing him. And the guy says yes, and he was just taking the blame so no one would think to take the computer and try to weaponize it (since it's doing a good enough job of weaponizing itself without any help). Mulder manages to convince him to destroy the computer with a virus, which leads to an exciting scene of Scully climbing through the vents trying to get the virus to Mulder while the ventilation system tries to kill her, and Mulder having a tense standoff with a DARPA agent who was trying to get the computer before it was deleted.

Anyhow, the virus gets used, and the DARPA guy, having not seen Terminator, apparently, scoops up the damaged CPU and tries to get it working again and That Mysterious Guy tells Mulder that The Bad Guys took the programmer to coerce him into making another HAL.
Old 03-07-2016, 10:48 AM
Bertolli?!?...

I was never a big X-Files fan, so I can count the number of episodes that I remember on one hand, but Ghost in the Machine is one of them. That ending, with the machine blinking back to life, kept young JBear awake at night. I think it might have been my first experience with an open-ended narrative, and I recall being really fascinated by the idea.
Old 03-07-2016, 06:31 PM
Kringle Machine

Ice opens with the scientists in an arctic research facility all killing one another, shortly after sending a cryptic message about not trusting one another, and also there's a friendly dog. So, since at least one person at the FBI has seen The Thing at some point in their lives, it's automatically declared an X-File. And with good cause since, while investigating ice cores, the team managed to dig up a space bug that hitched a ride on a meteor, and spent a few million years frozen solid, and as soon as it thawed, it immediately hopped into people and made them violently paranoid, and in no time, Sculder and the rest of the folks sent in to investigate the deaths start to be infected and immediately go into a paranoid frenzy. Only some because of space worms. Anyhow, Scully figures out how to solve the problem (the worms are so paranoid that the spores from any two will kill each other, so she gives everyone a double-dose) and, once the team is pulled out of the arctic, the military and CDC incinerates the lab.

Which bums Mulder out because he was super excited to look at murder-worms some more. Dude has some hobbies.

Space is an episode with a Netflix description that made me so incredibly happy (a space shuttle message is sabotaged by a ghost) but, in execution, wound up being genuinely spooky. But, yes, it opens with space shuttle missions being impossibly sabotaged, which was enough to warrant an X-File, even before Nasaghasts get involved. All evidence points to Jerky Astronaut who is also one of Mulders childhood heroes, additionally, certain key members of staff see the giant Martian face trying to murder them from time to time. As it turns out, on his last mission Jerkstronaut got a face full of Space Ghost and it's been possessing m ever since, mostly trying to kill anyone associated with getting people into space, and the captain himself does what he can to sabotage the ghosts efforts. Eventually the strain of holding the ghost in check, trying to kill and also save everyone drives the captain into a stress-coma, and without the ghost working against everyone, NASA is barely able to save the shuttle. Recovering in the hostpital, the captain feels the ghost coming back and he opts to kill himself rather then let it. All of which probably would have happened whether or not Sculder got involved. Which would have done me some favours because that ghost was friggin' horrifying

Also, at any point is there going to be an alien who is not a murderous asshole?
Old 03-14-2016, 04:59 PM
Kringle Machine

Fallen Angel has The Helpful Guy (who I don't think has been named yet...) telling Mulder that a UFO has crashed over Nowheresville, and he better head out and check it out pronto, because the armies top UFO-hider is already on the case, telling everyone some cockamammie story about how the UFO is just something boring like a weather balloon that's reflecting Venus, or a crashed terrorist airplane with a nuclear weapon on board, which Mulder doesn't buy for a minute.

I mean, he's correct to doubt it but... umm... maybe... maybe work on what sort of things you're worked up about, Mulder? Prioritize a little better?

Anyhow, whatever Evil Conspiracy guys are behind hiding UFOs have had just about enough of Mulder horning in on their racket, so they're going to try to shut the X-Files down and bust him back down to catching dangerous criminals outside of local police capabilities, instead of going after space-viruses or cavemen. You know, the things the FBI should really be concerned about.

Mulder befriends another UFO nut, who Mulder believes was abducted and experimented on as a child (because the guy has epilepsy which... I guess... is alien-induced?) while Scully begrudgingly puts her medical skills to use by helping trying to save the army guys who are trying to close the X-Files (they're trying to catch the crashed alien who, in this case, is Predator, so they're a bit outmatched).

Long story short, Mulder is right about the guy being abducted by aliens, and the Predator was pretty concerned with abducting him AGAIN, so he does, and Predator and That Guy blip into outer space. At the hearing to determine whether the FBI really needs a special department for handling space monsters, the decision is made that "Yeah, we might as well. Why the hell not?" With the finale revealing that the verdict came because of That Helpful Guys influence, and, despite the name I gave him, he's secretly part of the (or at least A) conspiracy and he figures that Mulder will deal a lot less damage if he's being carefully strung along like this then if he was left to his own devices.

And, y'know, I tend to like the irrelevant side-episodes more then the ones that advance the main arc of the show, but that's was a pretty good swerve on me.
Old 03-15-2016, 03:10 AM
New Video World is out!

Max Fenig, Octo, for goodness' sake! HIS NAME IS MAX FENIG!

MAXIMUM

FENIG.
Old 03-15-2016, 10:10 AM
Kringle Machine

That is an excellent name, but I am unsure as to which of the characters who's names I did not catch it refers to.
Old 03-15-2016, 10:16 AM
New Video World is out!

For, g- HONESTLY!!

You are on thin ice, mister!
Old 03-15-2016, 11:37 AM
Kringle Machine

Dude, I'm like five episodes in, and there's only been two characters who appear repeatedly and introduce themselves at any given chance.

I'm trying!
Old 03-15-2016, 12:34 PM
Family Man

I've been watching the first season, as well. The one with Brad Dourif that is essentially The Exorcist 3 1/2 is amazing.
Old 11-29-2016, 07:12 AM
New Video World is out!

OCTO WHY ARE YOU NOT DOING THIS.
Old 11-29-2016, 07:31 AM
Kringle Machine

Turns out I actually kind of disliked the show and how gloomy and oppressive it is. Should have looked into that before I started. Oh well.
Old 11-29-2016, 07:37 AM
Gesundheit!

This show really needs to be watched with a guide. Every time I think I'm finally getting into it, I hit a completely fucking horrible episode that totally kills my momentum.
Old 11-29-2016, 07:38 AM
New Video World is out!

OH FOR GOD'S SAKE.