The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about meatspace games

Old 11-10-2016, 12:59 PM
Dinger!

Just to make sure that folks see it, I really wanna play Monsterhearts. Is anybody else interested?
Old 12-26-2016, 07:12 PM
Xmas Sandwich Anarchy

Oof, been a while since I posted here. Probably because I haven't been reading many RPGs the last couple months! After burning myself out on Dust and Polaris, I've been spending most of my evenings reading novels, doing chores, writing, or re-reading Strike in preparation for a game I'm starting. I did get Mutant Chronicles 3E though and I've really liked what little I've read of it - the setting really feels like Warhammer 40000 Lite ("A whole galaxy is pretty big, can we keep it down to just our solar system? And hold the xenos. And can we lighten up the grimdark a little?").

It's a game that really, really likes its shoulder pads, though. They're important in equipment lists, in the mechanics, in the fiction, and most especially in the art. Mutant Chronicles revels in its shoulder pads. It is devoted to shoulder pads. It is obsessed with its shoulder pads.

And I love it.
Old 01-04-2017, 05:09 AM
Remembers Love

My copy of Ryuutama finally arrived, and it is a very handsome book. Nice compact hardback with a lovely matte finish. And I'm increasingly convinced that single-column is the superior page layout for RPG books. Feels more welcoming.

I also like the doodles and marginalia. The manga style probably helps pull that off, but honestly, wouldn't the Player's Handbook be so much better if it had little Sergio Aragones guys running around the pages?
Old 06-01-2017, 05:18 PM
Inherently Stealthy

RISE FROM THE GRAVE.

So I've finished slogging my way through the FASA revised Fading Suns core books, which got included in a Bundle of Holding by accident instead of the 2e rules. Oops. Well, they also incorporate a bunch of material from various supplements that weren't in either bundle.

The system is typical mid-90s hot garbage.

The setting... Definitely highlights the problems of setting-heavy mid-90s games. In broad strokes, it's really interesting, with a lot of cool elements that are both evocative and gameable. But every additional piece of detail that gets laid down drains a little bit more appeal out, until you're left with a very dull setting full of largely unremarkable and practically undifferentiated desert planets. Because... Dune was cool, I guess.
Old 06-01-2017, 05:33 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egarwaen View Post
RISE FROM THE GRAVE.

So I've finished slogging my way through the FASA revised Fading Suns core books, which got included in a Bundle of Holding by accident instead of the 2e rules. Oops. Well, they also incorporate a bunch of material from various supplements that weren't in either bundle.

The system is typical mid-90s hot garbage.

The setting... Definitely highlights the problems of setting-heavy mid-90s games. In broad strokes, it's really interesting, with a lot of cool elements that are both evocative and gameable. But every additional piece of detail that gets laid down drains a little bit more appeal out, until you're left with a very dull setting full of largely unremarkable and practically undifferentiated desert planets. Because... Dune was cool, I guess.
Fading Suns is the only system I've played for any length of time. About 3 years with a group in the early aughts. It was basically a Dune RPG with the sticker scratched off.
Old 06-01-2017, 05:38 PM
Inherently Stealthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falselogic View Post
Fading Suns is the only system I've played for any length of time. About 3 years with a group in the early aughts. It was basically a Dune RPG with the sticker scratched off.
I think it'd still be a fantastic setting to run fast-and-loose with something like Fate.

EDIT: Though I'm curious how the system held up in play.
Old 06-01-2017, 05:41 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Quote:
I think it'd still be a fantastic setting to run fast-and-loose with something like Fate.

EDIT: Though I'm curious how the system held up in play.
I dont recall which version it was. And I think my GM was pretty loose? But I dont know.
Old 06-03-2017, 01:15 PM
Inherently Stealthy

Beyond the Wall is a nice simple retroclone with a bunch of nice touches to playability, like simplified magic, Wisdom providing a bonus against mind control, and lots of random tables to help assemble characters and adventures.

Its worst characteristic is being stubbornly OSR Just Because. It uses roll-over saves and attacks but roll under ability checks... Despite having attribute score to bonus already. There's even a sidebar noting this makes no sense and then being all "¯\_(ツ)_/¯ you'll get used to it".
Old 06-03-2017, 06:50 PM
Remembers Love

On the topic of Dune-inspired RPGs, Jihad: Burning Sands is probably the Burning Wheel-derived game that I'd be most interested in playing (though I am sore tempted by Torchbearer).
Old 06-04-2017, 12:36 PM
Inherently Stealthy

Torchbearer is fantastic but really, really demands that players know the resource management metagame inside and out. Trying to jump in and play without having read, understood, and internalized the rules is a great way to wind up with a mountain of frustrating, inexplicable deaths.
Old 06-04-2017, 01:40 PM
Merry Christmas, Ma

Quote:
Torchbearer is fantastic but really, really demands that players know the resource management metagame inside and out. Trying to jump in and play without having read, understood, and internalized the rules is a great way to wind up with a mountain of frustrating, inexplicable deaths.
Call me pedantic, but isn't the revolving door of character death a major feature of the engine? I know when a buddy of mine was trying to start a game he really stressed how you shouldn't get attached to your pc.
Old 06-04-2017, 04:11 PM
Inherently Stealthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ample Vigour View Post
Call me pedantic, but isn't the revolving door of character death a major feature of the engine? I know when a buddy of mine was trying to start a game he really stressed how you shouldn't get attached to your pc.
There's a difference between dying because you made a bad decision or got in over your head, and dying because you didn't internalise how to manage turns, conditions, inventory, etc.
Old 07-01-2017, 11:29 PM
Xmas Sandwich Anarchy

Oh wow it's been a while since I posted in this thread. I blame reading novels for that, and the occasional writing. And being in one roleplaying campaign and running another so I have to read those systems instead. But I've still got some RPG reading in! Mutant Chronicles was fun and I would play a 2D20 game, and I look forward to the Infinity-skinned version. Might even try the Conan one! Already got three different editions of D&D too, why should 2D20 be any different....

Also read... I think about half of Dragon Age. It sure was evocative of the video games, alright. The stunt system is interesting but not in a way that grabbed me. I honestly found it rather forgettable.

Most recently, last night I finished Blades in the Dark. I won't pass judgment on the basic Apocalypse Engine mechanics it uses without ever playing the games (I prefer something more mechanically-focused for reading, but on the other hand I've never actually played anything that narrative-focused), but I will say that I was delighted with how evocative everything was from the playbooks, to the city descriptions, down to the sentence-to-sentence writing of the rules. And this time I'm not using "evocative" dismissively! Blades in the Dark is a system I can honestly say I enjoyed reading just as much as I expect I would enjoy playing it.
Old 07-02-2017, 12:56 PM
Dinger!

Somebody mentioned Blades in the Dark and so I am compelled to jump in and evangelize how great it is. I'm currently playing three games of it (two GM, one player), but if I weren't, I would totally try to organize a Talking Time game.
Old 08-22-2017, 07:06 PM
Xmas Sandwich Anarchy

Finished Pugmire last night. That was a fun, quick read, written in such a friendly style, strongly thematic, and so lavishly illustrated that it was very easy to overlook the fact there is a fair amount of mechanical detail to the game.

Pros:
-The classes are just different enough from the norm to be interesting, without feeling like it's being different just for the sake of being different.
-The idea of challenge ratings makes more sense in this game than any other I've seen. A CR X creature is a beatable challenge for a level X character. Kind of a shame there are no creatures above CR 10, though there's a template to make a more powerful critter.
-Seriously, the theme is great and makes putting an adventuring party together really easy since you're playing social animals in a setting where there is a royally-mandated adventuring guild.
-Your dog can have a pet dog.

Cons:
-Seriously, out of all the breeds to not only survive the apocalypse but rule the land afterwards, they picked pugs? Pugs? Seriously?

Anyway, on to Starfinder. I haven't read much of it so far but it has space jedi who have their own lightsabers built in, and there are space goblins. I'm not sure what else I need to know.
Old 08-25-2017, 09:25 AM
Inherently Stealthy

Eddy is a serial pug-owner.

I really love how well Pugmire's setting focuses on making itself playable. Every location directly calls out an adventure or campaign you could run there.
Old 08-27-2017, 10:43 AM
Xmas Sandwich Anarchy

Yeah, I know he mentioned his real-life pugs a lot on the kickstarter too. I dunno, maybe it's just growing up with labs in a small town, but I don't understand the appeal of dogs who can't breathe or accompany you on adventures.

(I'm sure most pugs are fine dogs on their own merits, I just find the breed in general to be ugly and victims of human ego. Pug owners tend to get really mad when you put it that way, though.)

on Starfinder:

It's still Pathfinder at its core, right down to still having a seemingly vestigial alignment system, but the numbers are so different. The stats look the same at first, but you get so many points that at level 20 you can naturally have four 18s, a 17, and a 16. And that's if you're trying to spread them out as evenly as possible - min-maxing is still very much an option. End-game armors have over 20 AC, and I'm pretty sure I saw a weapon that rolls 14d10 for damage.

Of course, this is balanced out (unfortunately, in my opinion) by most weapons having ammo to count, including the fancy-pants powered melee weapons. More paperwork, woo. Honestly, I was hoping they would have gotten rid of either ammo counters - replace them with the ammo system from either Feng Shui or FFG's Star Wars games, maybe? - or counting credits. One or the other would have been fine by me.

This game does seem to want players to take weapon proficiency feats. Most classes won't have access to the really good wacky stuff without them, and the example builds at the end of each class usually have at least one proficiency feat.

By the way, if anyone else has this game already and has been looking at the rules, does the Solarion's armor option seem underpowered compared to the weapon option? I realize energy damage is very plentiful in this game and it stacks with any light armor the character wears, but only +2 AC and 20 Fire or Ice Resist (switchable each turn, at least) at level 20 seems weak to me when compared to a weapon that costs nothing, can't be destroyed or disarmed or run out of power, is an automatic proficiency, has 12d6 base damage at level 20, and can be upgraded further with special equipment.
Old 08-29-2017, 10:02 AM

Solarian Armor seems significantly less good than weapons, assuming one plans to play a melee focused character who needs both. If you're building a character who just wants to hang back with a gun but you still want groovy space powers, free armor isn't a bad consolation.

Also I wouldn't sweat the ammo thing too much since most things run off batteries, which you can more or less recharge for free at the end of the day, so it's mostly a universal uses-per-day system.

All that said, I really can't wait to actually play a campaign of this and get a feel for how all this math actually works out at higher levels. Especially the whole bit where AC actually keeps pace with BAB so things like Deadly Aim are a meaningful tradeoff and not a no-brainer.

Also I dig the weird tweaks to stat point-buy where a vesk (space orc) and an android (space gnome) both have the same, attainable, hard cap of 18 int at level 1, it's just that the android can hit it and still have 4 more points to throw somewhere else.

Most eyebrow raising thing to me so far is making the envoy more or less a useless-in-combat skill monkey after a series of hard lessons in how that works out from Pathfinder. Although it is, at least, clearly an intentional choice, and mechanically incentivizes being the mouthy comic relief.
Old 08-29-2017, 01:21 PM
Are You Sure About That?

The pile of dead bardsenvoys has always been a winning strategy, if only for cover.
Old 08-29-2017, 07:15 PM
Xmas Sandwich Anarchy

I dunno, the envoy has a 3/4 BAB and equipment - especially if they can use their skills to swing some higher level stuff than the rest of the party - could make up for a lot in this game. Besides, from a cursory glance the spaceship combat rules make the skill monkey (potentially) very, very valuable at keeping everyone alive if only for the sake of being pretty good at filling in any given role someone else doesn't want to play, or was injured by an exploding console. Or they could be the captain, if people want to allow that for some reason.

In other news, the space goblins use regular ol' band-aids to patch their broken space helmets, so that's great.

There's a whole planet of undead. I want to be from that planet, and fly the ridiculous skelecoffin fighter.
Old 08-31-2017, 09:34 AM
Are You Sure About That?

Bought the PDF of the player's guide for this, and man, does Paizo like their 40k.
Old 09-01-2017, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
I dunno, the envoy has a 3/4 BAB and equipment... Or they could be the captain, if people want to allow that for some reason.
The thing there is that the wizard* has 3/4 BAB and access to the same equipment (sans grenades).

That said, class abilities in general do look like they take enough of a back seat to having rad equipment and just shooting people that they aren't at all useless in combat, they just don't have any real unique class-based stuff to do that isn't giving up half their turn to give a friend one-off bonuses.

Of course, on the other side of that, my read-through of the class/chance to play one in a demo game both came before reading enough of the book to get my head around the total rethinking of the basic mechanics where you still miss a lot at high levels so +/- 2 to a given roll is actually a huge deal, and getting extra attacks is basically not a thing, which makes the severely watered down bard aspect less shocking than it initially seems, and their take on being a skill monkey lets them do unique things with their skills on top of rolling real high, so I do look forward to playing one in the future (but wow they're lame at level 1).

Also it's been pretty explicitly stated that in addition to being the kind-of-a-non-combatant they're very much intended as the captains of ships.

*Technically they look to play more like arcanists.
Old 09-13-2017, 12:20 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

the new RPG Humble Bundle is a big block of Warhammer RPG books.

If that sort of thing interests you.
Old 09-13-2017, 12:55 PM
Merry Christmas, Ma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falselogic View Post
the new RPG Humble Bundle is a big block of Warhammer RPG books.

If that sort of thing interests you.
Oh no.
Old 09-13-2017, 01:51 PM
Xmas Sandwich Anarchy

I swore off pdf bundles a while ago because I never read them but
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ample Vigour View Post
Oh no.
Old 09-23-2017, 10:40 PM
Xmas Sandwich Anarchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Googleshng View Post
The thing there is that the wizard* has 3/4 BAB and access to the same equipment (sans grenades).
I eventually noticed that every class has either 3/4 or full BAB. I like that. That is a good change.

I probably won't have much else to say about Starfinder since I'm approaching the end of the last couple chapters and, while the fiction is nice and varied to an almost Numenera level, I just never have a lot to say about that kind of thing.

That said, one last thing I want to add to the mechanics discussion: the implementation of variable level spells here might have saved the very idea of Vancian magic for me. I was never too hot on how Vancian magic systems work, but making it so that always taking the next level of your bread and butter is a no brainer and frees up a previous spell slot for something else takes a lot of pain out of the system.

All in all, I would love to take this game for a spin. Who's up for GMing an adventure?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyblue View Post
Bought the PDF of the player's guide for this, and man, does Paizo like their 40k.
I'm curious what makes you say that. As someone who does like their 40K quite a bit themself, I was struck by how little Warhammer influence there was here. Certainly no more than any other sci-fantasy or space opera you care to name; Paizo definitely has committed to ensuring that no matter where you want to draw your inspiration you can play that character in this game (as long as they can be approximated by variant D&D 3.5 rules). Granted, some of this might be a blind spot as some things people consider 40K hallmarks like gyrojet weapons just don't register that way for me because of how often I've seen them elsewhere.

Next on the list: Starship Troopers.
Old 09-23-2017, 10:46 PM
Are You Sure About That?

It's mostly little things in the gear list and setting material, at least to me.
Old 09-26-2017, 12:13 AM

Team Human giving liches the vote strikes me as pretty well against the 40k philosophy. As does elves hanging it up to go pout in the corner about how everyone's mean to them.

And I'd offer to run a game except:
- Alien Archive still isn't out yet.
- I'm already running 2 games.

Could potentially play in one though. I'd even go with an envoy, which seems unpopular so far.
Old 09-26-2017, 08:32 AM
Are You Sure About That?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyblue View Post
It's mostly little things in the gear list and setting material, at least to me.
Old 09-26-2017, 10:02 AM
Xmas Sandwich Anarchy

Last night I was going through the factions list and the illustration for one was straight up a tacmarine sergeant in slimmed down power armor and another was heavily reminiscent of a helmet-less eldar guardian, right down to being an elf, so I am definitely not going to gainsay anyone who sees some minor resemblances between the games.