The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about meatspace games

Old 08-04-2014, 11:06 AM
le petite mort

Quote:
Originally Posted by Büge View Post
TOO BAD YOU WON'T BE GETTING ON THE PRO TOUR

*cries self to sleep*
Old 08-04-2014, 11:42 AM
gatchapon 3*

that said, last night's final match in the pt was absolutely amazing. i hated that blue white control deck at first, but it became such a tense fucking match. rams of thune!
Old 08-04-2014, 01:00 PM
For blood and gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Büge View Post
TOO BAD YOU WON'T BE GETTING ON THE PRO TOUR

Context please? I'm missing something.
Old 08-04-2014, 01:29 PM
gatchapon 3*

no non-standard events on the schedule, so blue moon isn't going to show up.
Old 08-04-2014, 01:41 PM
For blood and gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivam View Post
no non-standard events on the schedule, so blue moon isn't going to show up.
Ah, didn't realize Büge's post was directed at the player.
Old 08-14-2014, 02:11 PM
A Dream Beneath the Sun

So I'm going to Grand Prix Salt Lake City which is coming up in just a few weeks. I played in a GPT that was a the same format (M15 sealed) and did poorly, but wasn't too surprising since I play little to no limited. I'm mainly going for the experience and who knows, maybe I will be passed a killer pool.

Has anyone been to a GP and can you share what it's like? Is it basically a giant FNM in a convention center?
Old 08-14-2014, 02:41 PM
Safe Space

That does seem to be my impression on it, based on what I saw at GP Toronto. You do your matches, report 'em, then wait three hours for your next one.

Or you could do what I did and just go to trade and play casual side matches.
Old 08-14-2014, 03:10 PM
TARANTUL

If I were ever at a GP I think I would just sign up for all of the drafts.

All of them.
Old 08-16-2014, 10:05 PM
MassiveOnlineBunnyArena

Played some Legacy today. I borrowed a burn deck and managed to top 8 the ~35 person event. Had a ton of fun and met some cool people. I immediately lost out the top 8 though. Played against omni-tell and he t2 show and telled me both games (game 2 I had a REB but he also had the t3 show and tell).
Old 08-17-2014, 01:42 PM
Oily Butt Thing

Just the other day a guy at work was explaining to me how you use Omnitell to kill someone with 20 consecutive reiterations of Release the Ants. I will never play Legacy, but as an academic subject it's kinda fun.
Old 08-21-2014, 07:40 PM
Oily Butt Thing

Franz Vohwinkel is a good sport. Didn't blink when a co-worker went up to him at Gen Con and asked if he would sign an entire EDH deck's worth of Coldsnap Snow-Covered Islands.
Old 08-25-2014, 09:38 AM
le petite mort

Holy shit. Holy shit guys, this is big. Massive changes to the Magic format.

You should really read the article in full, but here are the highlights:
  • Removing the core set entirely.
  • Going to a two-set block (a la Lorwyn/Shadowmoor) twice a year.
  • Three blocks in Standard.
  • Sets rotate out twice a year (in fall and in spring).

So, I'm mostly excited for these changes, and I think Mark did a great job explaining the reasoning behind these moves. Mostly, I'm excited about the removal of the core set. I know some people like it (hi Shivam!) but overwhelming it's considered dead weight. And because so many people, such as myself, take a hiatus from drafting when it's in Limited season, the prices for singles from core sets tend to be exorbitant. Good riddance.

Also, the narrative will be moving faster and we'll see more returns of older planes. This is pretty fantastic too, because Magic does a stellar job at world-building.

The faster rotation will also mean good things for Standard. Remember when you couldn't throw a rock without hitting a Sword, a Geist, or a Thragtusk? Yeah, good times. On the other hand, a faster rotation potentially means more money, which is not something I'm super excited about. I'll probably wait a year after the changes hit to see if I can afford getting back into the game in such a capacity.

Anyhow. These are big changes for everyone!
Old 08-25-2014, 10:07 AM
Oily Butt Thing

Interesting stuff. I'm not at all surprised that they're going to two-set blocks -- at least from my view here, Dragon's Maze and Journey into Nyx both sold terribly. If stretching a set's mechanics and story into a third block is that much hassle for them, figure it has to be galling to watch it crash at the box office on top of that.
Old 08-25-2014, 10:09 AM
le petite mort

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Raider Dr. Jones View Post
Interesting stuff. I'm not at all surprised that they're going to two-set blocks -- at least from my view here, Dragon's Maze and Journey into Nyx both sold terribly. If stretching a set's mechanics and story into a third block is that much hassle for them, figure it has to be galling to watch it crash at the box office on top of that.
Yeah, they sold terribly at my store as well. I didn't think about it like that, that's a good point too.
Old 08-25-2014, 11:27 AM
>TRANCE

The way I play magic is to buy boxes (or common / uncommon playsets, when boxes are prohibitively expensive) and play limited, then repack the cards into new random booster packs for more limited. I don't generally play in sanctioned events of any sort. So this all seems like good news to me!

Because of how I do things, small sets tend to feel a little awkward - in something like RtR block, buying three boxes means I get three very distinct draft environments (triple RtR, triple Gatecrash, full block), but for Theros, not quite so much. I'm interested in seeing what Khans and this new default block structure do to change this aspect of the territory.
Old 08-25-2014, 02:24 PM
TARANTUL

So... block constructed will get played twice a year now, instead of once?

Third sets have been pretty solid for draft for the past few years (Rav has some structural problems but it's due to the pack order, the set itself is fine), but I'm sure you constructed guys will be happier that chase rares from the third set are a thing of the past.

Wait, what about Modern Masters/Conspiracy et cetera? Don't they really do five sets a year now?
Old 08-25-2014, 02:30 PM
>TRANCE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destil View Post
Wait, what about Modern Masters/Conspiracy et cetera? Don't they really do five sets a year now?
I doubt any of that's changing - it's Core + 3-set-block (4 sets) replaced with two 2-set-blocks (4 sets), so there's no reason the set-related preconstructed decks, weird supplementary sets, commander decks, or the like would have to vanish. Unless the "thing for new players" replaces something, but I doubt that.
Old 08-25-2014, 05:53 PM
gatchapon 3*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destil View Post
So... block constructed will get played twice a year now, instead of once?

Third sets have been pretty solid for draft for the past few years (Rav has some structural problems but it's due to the pack order, the set itself is fine), but I'm sure you constructed guys will be happier that chase rares from the third set are a thing of the past.

Supplemental sets aren't included. they don't matter for the purposes of tournaments, blocks or standard.
Old 08-26-2014, 12:12 PM
For blood and gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by gahitsu View Post
Yeah, they sold terribly at my store as well. I didn't think about it like that, that's a good point too.
Yes, it was interesting to read that they went too far with trying to make Journey into Nyx interesting at the cost of Born of the Gods. Nyx was tons more fun to play with than Born of the Gods, but people were probably too burnt on Born to play with Nyx.
Old 08-26-2014, 04:08 PM
TARANTUL

In a block full to the brim with cheep, powerful combat tricks inspired is a fantastic mechanic, for limited. Tribute is really "meh" though. Some nice tribute cards but it's rare you actually see much interesting play with them.

Born brings a lot of power to the draft table but it's a real shame that Constellation is only in that one set, even having just a few cards at uncommon in the others would make it play a little better (tends to be a real feast or famine archetype).

Anyone drafted any M15? I've only done one draft, but I'll likely do a few more at Dragoncon this weekend. Anything to know? Any specific color/card to watch for/avoid?
Old 08-26-2014, 06:04 PM
gatchapon 3*

i fucking love m15 draft. the best colors are red and white, and if you see triplicate spirits, it's the pick every time, over virtually everything else but planeswalkers, and even then i'd take it higher than anyone but nissa.
the green white convoke deck is a real thing, as is the white blue. Sanctified charge is a fucking awesome finisher too.

Red, if you see cone of flame come by, you're playing red regardless of whatever your other plans were. but man, white all day long.
Old 08-27-2014, 04:35 PM
A Dream Beneath the Sun

I've only played sealed, but yeah white seems like the strongest color by a mile. Like shivam says, Triplicate Spirits is busted at common. Blue seems like the weakest color.
Old 08-27-2014, 10:56 PM
For blood and gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivam View Post
i fucking love m15 draft. the best colors are red and white, and if you see triplicate spirits, it's the pick every time, over virtually everything else but planeswalkers, and even then i'd take it higher than anyone but nissa.
the green white convoke deck is a real thing, as is the white blue. Sanctified charge is a fucking awesome finisher too.

Red, if you see cone of flame come by, you're playing red regardless of whatever your other plans were. but man, white all day long.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dampe View Post
I've only played sealed, but yeah white seems like the strongest color by a mile. Like shivam says, Triplicate Spirits is busted at common. Blue seems like the weakest color.
Seconding what these two folks have said. I've only played in my sealed league, but so far all but one opponent has played red and/or white. I'm playing red/white myself, despite having a Nissa and many other good green creatures. (I have a cone of flame and other good red removal). Blue or black seem like the weakest colors. Also, common removal tends to be expensive. This is another reason red is so powerful as it has lightning strike while green has hunt the weak, black has the expensive convoke ones, and white and blue are laughable.
Old 08-28-2014, 11:34 PM

Probably not optimal with the new soundclaw mystic, but Mono red: t2 generator servant t3 mystic face down t4 8-drop with haste.
Old 08-30-2014, 11:38 PM
Fun Club Agent

Onslaught Fetch Land cycle in Khans.

This Is A Big Deal.
Old 08-31-2014, 01:46 AM
le petite mort

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentSnake View Post
Onslaught Fetch Land cycle in Khans.

This Is A Big Deal.
Freaking out a bit. I know a ton of people who are going to be pissed, though (and far more who are rejoicing).
Old 08-31-2014, 03:18 AM
Swag Brotagonist

Looks like the rumor was true!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight View Post
But anyway, I'm excited for Khans. I also heard a rumor that it'll have the Onslaught fetches, because at one of the recent GPs a WotC guy was seen talking to a dealer, and after that, they lowered their buylist prices on them. But, y'know, rumors and all that.
I am hype for allied fetchland times. Time to scrimp and save so I can get the G/R, G/W, and R/B fetches and squirrel them away.
Old 08-31-2014, 08:53 AM
Oily Butt Thing

Interested to see where the whole cycle of cards evens out at. This is going to bring down the cost of the Zendikar cards, too, because now Modern players have more fetch land options.

But yeah, I have a feeling we're gonna see a spike in pre-orders this week. Pre-release is gonna be hopping, too.

Luckily work didn't get stuck with any Polluted Deltas. We've got eight Flooded Strands that suddenly halved in value, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gahitsu View Post
Freaking out a bit. I know a ton of people who are going to be pissed, though
Any card that's not on the reserved list is at least a little bit of a gamble. If you want your deck to be an investment, Legacy is right there.
Old 08-31-2014, 09:15 AM
Oily Butt Thing

also, if we're allowed to get hype about cards that aren't fetch lands, this is gonna rule hard in your white weenie deck.
Old 08-31-2014, 10:50 AM
le petite mort

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Raider Dr. Jones View Post
also, if we're allowed to get hype about cards that aren't fetch lands, this is gonna rule hard in your white weenie deck.
Normally I'm all onboard with aggro decks, but that Outlast mechanic doesn't look very good at all.

Tags
card games , ccg , magic the gathering , traditional games , wotc