The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about TV and film

Old 04-21-2012, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfgang View Post
Googleshing, you have some weird axes to grind. Dark Shadows looks like it has a lot of broad humor, but so did Beetlejuice, Edward Scissorhands and Pee-wee's Big Adventure, and those are modern classics.

Anyway, even if you don't like the look of that, Frankenweenie's trailer makes that look fantastic, so it's still a good year for Burton fans. Plus: Para-Norman for the hat trick (it's not a Burton movie but it's by the rest of the Nightmare crew). God, mid-90's Wee Wolfgang would be jizzing himself.
Oh no, I actually do want to see it. It's just that it feels like some time after Sleepy Hollow, Tim Burton went from being someone with a really unique sense of visual style that makes unique and amazing movies to someone who's really good at looking at old Tim Burton movies and making movies that look like them.
Old 04-21-2012, 02:36 PM
Gesundheit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Googleshng View Post
Oh no, I actually do want to see it. It's just that it feels like some time after Sleepy Hollow, Tim Burton went from being someone with a really unique sense of visual style that makes unique and amazing movies to someone who's really good at looking at old Tim Burton movies and making movies that look like them.
I think it's because he bases all of his movies on existing properties these days. There's none of the twisted, from-the-ground-up vision of his '80s films.
Old 04-23-2012, 11:06 PM

I actually like the Dark Shadows trailer. A lot.
Old 04-25-2012, 04:38 PM
The Shogun of Harlem

This isn't a trailer but it's amazing: Samuel L. Jackson is being interviewed about The Avengers and makes a joke about how there should be Avengers branded weed (The Hulk) and then goes on for the rest of the interview answering every question with a reference to Avengers branded weed. It's fucking amazing. His altered reason for The Hulk having powers is incredible: he ate the weed.
Old 04-26-2012, 12:01 AM

SLJ is awesome!

The interviewer though... I wanted to slash his throat open.
Old 04-26-2012, 12:38 AM
The Shogun of Harlem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy View Post
SLJ is awesome!

The interviewer though... I wanted to slash his throat open.
Well, yeah. That's standard entertainment news interviewer though. Why the hell do you think SLJ just started going on about weed? Because he didn't give a shit about this tool. That's what's so great about it.
Old 04-26-2012, 12:39 AM

So does anyone have a reaction to these trailers for Snow White and the Game of Thrones that don't just involve sitting there giggling childishly at the whole thing?
Old 04-26-2012, 02:09 PM
ahm margaret wartahm

Speaking of that production and unintentional (?) comedy.
Old 04-27-2012, 06:09 AM
ancient ceramic artifact

I just saw the avengers (in my country was released today at midnight) and it was the best movie ever, I wont spoil you anything but there is a freaking super scene after the credits that will blow your socks away
Old 04-27-2012, 06:30 AM
Find Your Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterpot View Post
I just saw the avengers (in my country was released today at midnight)

Now I'll have to avoid Facebook and Twitter updates from all my Mexican friends and family for the next week.
Old 04-27-2012, 06:37 AM
ancient ceramic artifact

it was released earlier because this weekend is dia del nio(kids day)
kinda a super holiday for children.

I dont want to give spoilers so I will shut my mouth
Old 04-27-2012, 11:11 AM
The Shogun of Harlem

Spoilers: The Avengers save the day.
Old 04-27-2012, 11:36 PM
This Guy

Thanks for ruining it jerk.
Old 04-28-2012, 05:58 AM
Programmed to Jingle

Spoilers: There are special effects
Old 04-28-2012, 01:42 PM

Stills from Django Unchained:

Here's hoping it doesn't become QT's Wild Wild West.
Old 04-28-2012, 06:07 PM
The Shogun of Harlem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy View Post
Here's hoping it doesn't become QT's Wild Wild West.
I think we'll be okay. It's QT.
Old 04-29-2012, 02:09 PM
King Of Space-Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rascally Badger View Post
Thanks for ruining it jerk.
I hear this emerald giant compresses matter. Wontonly!
Old 04-29-2012, 03:22 PM
Tiger, Tiger, muddy dark

So, a movie industry audience disliked what they saw of The Hobbit running at 48 frames per second, but Peter Jackson says he's carrying on with it.

I feel that although high frame rate could be a huge boon to movies, The Hobbit isn't the right movie to introduce it. A better choice would be an original, contemporary action movie full of car chases and lightning-fast martial arts, or maybe a Pixar or Dreamworks cartoon for young kids who haven't seen enough movies to expect 24 FPS. They also should have aimed for a higher frame rate than TV since movies need to look better than TV.

When Star Wars: The Phantom Menace came out, everybody hated Jar-Jar Binks but the movie still made a fortune and paved the way for cooler CG characters like Gollum, Davy Jones, and ultimately Jake and Neytiri. I think The Hobbit introducing high frame rate would similarly be a bad start to a good trend.

That's my opinion. What's yours?
Old 04-29-2012, 03:32 PM
Banned

I think a sizzle reel full of short clips is the absolute worst possible way to be introduced to 48 fps because it takes a significant amount of time for your eyes and brain to adjust to it. The actual film, with normal-length scenes, will probably get much different reactions.

Also there's going to be a 24 fps version of the film anyway.
Old 04-29-2012, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vega View Post
They also should have aimed for a higher frame rate than TV since movies need to look better than TV.
Isn't the core problem here that higher frame rates for video cameras were actually first introduced for consumer level cameras, causing audiences to associate the difference (which is damn hard to consciously notice) with cheapness? I'd think speeding it up would only worsen the problem.

Totally in favor of someone trying to kill the trend though... so long as people don't suddenly use "Twice as many frames, half as much fits on a disc!" as a new excuse to underfill DVDs and such... which will almost definitely happen.
Old 04-29-2012, 06:20 PM
Tiger, Tiger, muddy dark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Googleshng View Post
Isn't the core problem here that higher frame rates for video cameras were actually first introduced for consumer level cameras, causing audiences to associate the difference (which is damn hard to consciously notice) with cheapness?
I think it goes always back to the beginning of TV, since many people consider film and theaters to be superior to anything to do with TV or video.

Quote:
I'd think speeding it up would only worsen the problem.
If the moviemakers are trying to convince the audience that high frame rate is a good thing, they need to push the frame rate, the amount of onscreen movement and the speed of onscreen movement as far as possible, at least for the first few movies that do it. Despite the fact that Peter Jackson is a pioneer in this area, The Hobbit can't push it far enough not only because it's a lower frame rate than TV but because in the book Bilbo and the dwarves spend most of their time sitting, standing or walking. They only occasionally jog or ride a fast animal and they certainly never race cars. The source material is too slow and the movie has to stay pretty close to it.

Quote:
Totally in favor of someone trying to kill the trend though... so long as people don't suddenly use "Twice as many frames, half as much fits on a disc!" as a new excuse to underfill DVDs and such... which will almost definitely happen.
I've done some DVD recording and read the spec of blu-ray, and I think this will actually be more of a problem for blu-ray than DVD.

NTSC DVDs have only one resolution, scan mode and frame rate: 480i60. The data rate, however, is extremely variable, and the motion compensation algorithm will reduce the data rate a lot when frames are repeated and a little bit when frames are similar, which they would be at a high frame rate. Consumer DVD recorders can make 60 Hz material like news, sports and video games look decent even when cramming six hours onto a single-layer disc. Two hours on a single layer disc approaches lossless quality. A dual layer DVD should be able to do almost four hours of nearly lossless 60 Hz video. The letterboxing of movies should make it even easier.

Blu-ray can do 1080p24, 1080i60 and 720p60 and 720p50 (at least for PAL-region TVs), but not 1080p60. 48 FPS material could be sped up a tiny bit to 50 Hz, but many 60 Hz TVs probably wouldn't display that signal properly, if at all. 60 Hz movies would have to be limited to 720p, so blu-rays of high frame rate movies might have to come with two discs, one at 1080p24 and the other at 720p60. Streaming video might actually do 1080p60 before physical media can.

I'm not sure how motion smoothing TVs fit into this mix. High frame rate should be part of the source material, not applied as a post-production filter, and motion smoothing is unreliable anyway, usually smoothing only part of the picture. High frame rate DVDs and blu-rays should begin with a message to turn off the motion smoothing filter since it's not needed.
Old 04-30-2012, 11:47 AM
The Shogun of Harlem

Yet another Prometheus trailer

HOLY FUCK THIS MOVIE ARGHAHAHJKALHFSJKLHDJKLS
Old 04-30-2012, 12:16 PM
is Earnest

Promethius has had one of the best advertising campaigns I've ever seen.
Old 04-30-2012, 04:50 PM
Hawkguy

The animated gifs from the latest Prometheus trailer are horrifying
Old 04-30-2012, 05:18 PM
Banned

I'm pretty intensely excited about Prometheus. I'm not sure why, but this trailer hit me a lot harder than the previous ones.
Old 04-30-2012, 05:34 PM
borgn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alixsar View Post
Old 04-30-2012, 09:34 PM
I'm kind of over memes.

New Dark Knight Rises trailer.

I'm pretty sure I'm alone in thinking Bane looks way, way smaller and leaner than expected. He just really looks weird and unintentionally comical going toe-to-toe with Batman. Not that I'd ever say that to Tom Hardy's face, mind you.

Edit: Holy crap, now I know not to express the above nitpick to other people. Did you know that it apparently means I think the movie will suck massive ballsacks? I sure didn't!

Last edited by Alastor; 04-30-2012 at 09:44 PM.
Old 04-30-2012, 09:52 PM
borgn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alastor View Post
Did you know that it apparently means I think the movie will suck massive ballsacks? I sure didn't!
Why do you hate all movies and films and cinema?????

Especially since there are much goofier things to pick on. Like Batman's weird flying car, and the fact that the kid from 3rd Rock From The Sun is an actor now???
Old 04-30-2012, 09:54 PM

Alastor, there is a very simple rule regarding what happened you to. It's something that needs to be promoted hard.

All comic book fans are fucking insane

Dare express even a smidgen of annoyance with their favorite media franchise? They will treat it like you shot their mother in the face and come at you with broken bottles and brass knuckles. Never mettle in the affairs of comic book fans on the internets. Nothing but trouble.
Old 05-01-2012, 02:38 AM
What Time Is It?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alixsar View Post
Yet another Prometheus trailer

I am so pumped for this movie and am really looking forward to Fassbender's David character. Just look at how he sits during the briefing!

Tags
movies