The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about books

Old 01-12-2016, 05:50 AM
REVOLUTION GRRR STYLE NOW

Sturgeon's Law: 90% of anything is crap
Old 01-12-2016, 05:53 AM
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Naw man.
85%.
I will fight you on this.
Old 01-12-2016, 05:58 AM
New Video World is out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAT View Post
Naw man.
85%.
I will fight you on this.
80% of this post is crap
Old 01-12-2016, 06:04 AM
Your life is forfeit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ample Vigour View Post
Not to speak for TG but the difference there is that Kurtz spent most of a decade talking like he was the digital John the Baptist.
In fairness, I'm willing to bet he dressed poorly and ate disgusting things, so there was that similarity to John the Baptist.
Old 01-12-2016, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhair60 View Post
80% of this post is crap
Was that

Was that a diss?

Come on man, you used to be good at this. I expect better.
Old 01-12-2016, 06:13 AM
New Video World is out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAT View Post
Was that

Was that a diss?

Come on man, you used to be good at this. I expect better.
Used to be, now I'm 75% crap -_-
Old 01-12-2016, 06:34 AM
Space Prez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Googleshng View Post

That said it DOES bother me though that proper archiving is still beyond the vast majority of people doing webcomics. If anything it's getting worse lately. I've seen a fair share of people who just throw each page up on tumblr, with infinite-scrolling archives, so you're really screwed if you want to read it all in sequence.
You're right, the navigation of webcomics archives is not optimal. I think this is in the artist's favor. Personally, I wouldn't keep anything up past the current story arc. If you want to follow for free everyday, that's great! If you want easy access to older material, buy a book! If you can't or won't buy a book, then you are welcome to hunt and peck through the archives. Being on the Internet gives you flexibility on how you can engage your audience.
Old 01-12-2016, 06:42 AM

The worst thing about webcomics is that most of them don't have built-in arrow keys support, forcing me to resort to jank-ass chrome extensions.

If you have a webcomic please.

Please

Make it so I can read it by just hitting right and left on my keyboard.
Old 01-12-2016, 06:53 AM
#deadfish2017

Webcomics died when The Acewoods didn't update once.
Old 01-12-2016, 07:17 AM
New Video World is out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki View Post
Webcomics died when The Acewoods didn't update once.
it updated three times in three weeks
Old 01-12-2016, 07:40 AM
Is there not one thing

Quote:
it updated three times in three weeks
Shh, if Onstad hears us talking about it he'll get scared and run back to his den
Old 01-12-2016, 07:40 AM
Bertolli?!?...

Default Are webcomics dead?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBear View Post
Sluggy Freelance will outlive us all. And as we each breathe our final breath, we'll piece the veil and find it waiting to accept us into its amateurish, tonally schizophrenic embrace.
Old 01-12-2016, 08:02 AM

I would not change Sluggy Freelance for the world.

Sluggy Freelance Forever.
Old 01-12-2016, 08:09 AM
Is there not one thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zodar View Post
Aside: As somebody whose first two posts on this forum were in defense of "Your Webcomic Is Bad and You Should Feel Bad," I'm glad that whatever iteration of webcomic culture what birthed "Your Webcomic is Bad and You Should Feel Bad" is fucking dead
So long as there is darkness in the human heart and threads where people post entire runs of long-dead keenspace titles without comment, YWIB will never die

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThornGhost View Post
Others may disagree, but in my mind, a webcomic is something besides simply a comic on the web.
What you're getting at goes beyond webcomics and a definition of New Media that died with suck.com. Remember when Scott McCloud got really into the CD-ROM scene and decided the future of entertainment was text, flash games, and video doing the fusion-ha dance?
Old 01-12-2016, 08:22 AM
New Video World is out!

Is YWIB still online anywhere
Old 01-12-2016, 08:23 AM
For Great Apollo Justice

Quote:
What you're getting at goes beyond webcomics and a definition of New Media that died with suck.com. Remember when Scott McCloud got really into the CD-ROM scene and decided the future of entertainment was text, flash games, and video doing the fusion-ha dance?
Every time I hear Scott McCloud's name I remember that the most significant work he ever did was a print Superman animated series.

And then I laugh to myself.
Old 01-12-2016, 08:25 AM
is Earnest

I recently read The Sculptor and I was surprised to find that it wasn't very good. It turns out that he's a lot better at telling other people how to make comics than at making them himself.
Old 01-12-2016, 08:26 AM
Is there not one thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven View Post
Every time I hear Scott McCloud's name I remember that the most significant work he ever did was a print Superman animated series.

Understanding Comics is an unqualified masterpiece, philistine.
Old 01-12-2016, 08:27 AM
For Great Apollo Justice

Quote:
You mean Understanding What Scott McCloud Seriously Thinks Comics Should Read and Look Like To The Exclusion of Everything Else Ever Done In Print?
Old 01-12-2016, 08:33 AM
Is there not one thing

Quote:
You mean Understanding What Scott McCloud Seriously Thinks Comics Should Read and Look Like To The Exclusion of Everything Else Ever Done In Print?
That's Reinventing Comics, which I cannot seriously defend.
Old 01-12-2016, 08:33 AM
New Video World is out!

Quote:
How did you get that from Understanding Comics?
Old 01-12-2016, 08:34 AM
Space Prez

Quote:
Every time I hear Scott McCloud's name I remember that the most significant work of his I ever read was a print Superman animated series.

ftfy
Old 01-12-2016, 09:02 AM
Your life is forfeit

Quote:
How did you get that from Understanding Comics?
He forgot to read Understanding Understanding Comics.
Old 01-12-2016, 09:09 AM
Space Prez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parish View Post
He forgot to read Understanding Understanding Comics.

Misunderstanding Webcomics.
Old 01-12-2016, 09:25 AM
Oily Butt Thing

Quote:
there is only DESTROY!!

Old 01-12-2016, 09:52 AM
certified comics master

Quote:
I know I read about two webcomics now when I used to read twenty but I can put that down to aging
I do read a lot fewer webcomics than I used to, but I also watch fewer cartoons, read fewer books, play fewer video games, etc. Getting older kind of stinks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excitemike View Post
You're right, the navigation of webcomics archives is not optimal. I think this is in the artist's favor. Personally, I wouldn't keep anything up past the current story arc. If you want to follow for free everyday, that's great! If you want easy access to older material, buy a book! If you can't or won't buy a book, then you are welcome to hunt and peck through the archives. Being on the Internet gives you flexibility on how you can engage your audience.
Not only that, but making someone go through the archives can help generate income if there are ads posted on the site. I'm not saying that all webcomics should have ads in their archives, and of course they shouldn't be intrusive, obnoxious, or be too many of them. It's just one way an artist can support themselves and generate income from their work without charging their readers for it. Making comics is hard work!

And if you want to read the comics more easily, there's what Excitemike said: you can read enough of a chunk for free to see if you like it, and then buy more for the convenience of reading the archives more easily and maybe even the satisfaction of supporting the artist. It's just how piracy (free access to media) can actually lead to an increase in sales (because there isn't a paywall preventing people from learning about a movie or new music). This model works!

That's why I believe in having all my comics freely available to read at all times. It's more important to me for people to be exposed to my work and read it then get $5 from a few people who are able to and generous enough to spend that much on something they've never seen before. Believe it or not, that seems to be a controversial belief among some of my peers. I have friends who would rather be more selective about how their work is accessed and who reads it, but I just can't subscribe to that way of thinking.

Anyway, I walk the walk as well as talk the talk. I'd rather buy my way through a comic archive once I know enough about it to know I like it. Now that I'm older and prefer the convenience of print material, and I actually have a little bit of disposable income that I can spend buying entertainment, I can spare the money to support other comic artists. Likewise, my income comes from people like me, not expecting teenagers-through-college-kids to be paying up to they can read my comic. And if someone can't afford or just doesn't want to pay for webcomics, that's alright. Given enough popularity, the people who CAN afford to lend financial support will generally cover for the people who can't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
I recently read The Sculptor and I was surprised to find that it wasn't very good. It turns out that he's a lot better at telling other people how to make comics than at making them himself.
I like Scott McCloud's Making Comics book a lot. I remember liking Understanding and Reinventing as well, but I haven't reread them in years, despite owning them. But the more I hear about The Sculptor, the angrier it makes me.

I still intend to read it myself someday. It wouldn't feel right for me to criticize a work I haven't actually read for myself (outside of ranting to close friends, that is). But if you want to listen to an entertaining, and absolutely scathing review of the book, I recommend this episode of Comic Books are Burning in Hell.

Note: I haven't listen to any other episode of that podcast besides that one because a good friend recommended it to me (while describing to me how bad The Sculptor was). I did meet and have a 15-minute interview with Tucker Stone during school, though! I don't think we'd recognize each other if we met again.
Old 01-12-2016, 10:05 AM
is Earnest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chu View Post
I like Scott McCloud's Making Comics book a lot. I remember liking Understanding and Reinventing as well, but I haven't reread them in years, despite owning them. But the more I hear about The Sculptor, the angrier it makes me.

I still intend to read it myself someday. It wouldn't feel right for me to criticize a work I haven't actually read for myself (outside of ranting to close friends, that is). But if you want to listen to an entertaining, and absolutely scathing review of the book, I recommend this episode of Comic Books are Burning in Hell.

Note: I haven't listen to any other episode of that podcast besides that one because a good friend recommended it to me (while describing to me how bad The Sculptor was). I did meet and have a 15-minute interview with Tucker Stone during school, though! I don't think we'd recognize each other if we met again.
Checking it out now, thanks!
Old 01-12-2016, 10:24 AM
ancient ceramic artifact

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
the sculptor is one of the best comic book Ive read in my life.

also my pals and I did an interview with scott mcloud in our podcast
about the sculptor (around minute 15) last july during the last san diego comicon

also Making comics is way better than understanding comics
Old 01-12-2016, 10:36 AM
le petite mort

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterpot View Post
also Making comics is way better than understanding comics
Agreed, even if you're only wanting to understand the media and aren't interested in actively contributing to it.
Old 01-12-2016, 10:46 AM
For Great Apollo Justice

Quote:
That's Reinventing Comics, which I cannot seriously defend.
Ah, yes, that one's more vile. Understanding's more "here's some obvious stuff" text-book-y.

I guess it's a big deal if your Grade 9 art teacher didn't use comics to illustrate everything he taught like mine did.

Tags
art , entitlement , loss.jpg , webcomics