The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about books

Old 04-12-2016, 07:15 PM
We just don't know.

Just finished the main book (haven't gotten into Buttercup's Baby yet) and it's as expected: Like the movie, but meaner and more cynical down to the final page, with the "happily ever after" literally being taken back and replaced with "life isn't fair." Not complaining or saying that's a bad thing! Just that it's the most noticeable part for me.

Plus lots of the humor and characterization was Mel Brooks-style "everyone is an idiot and horrible" humor that didn't quite resonate with me.

Now to finish the book with the buttercup's baby part.
Old 04-12-2016, 07:45 PM
Is there not one thing

I've never read that bit. Curious to hear your take.
Old 04-17-2016, 10:02 PM
We just don't know.

So, the buttercup's baby epilogue / mini sequel is an interesting reversal in tone.

The premise is that Goldman started getting along with his son, they became thick as thieves, and he has a grandson he absolutely adores and, it's implied, life is good and he's found love and happiness.

While "realist" cynicism is the tone of the main book (happily ever after supplanted by life ain't fair from a bitter middle aged man with a terrible family), the happy grandfather's main tone is that of hope. The events in the Morgenstern are as bad as ever - everything goes wrong, terrible things happen, etc - but the narrator's conclusion is that he sure hopes things work out. He's got a bit of the optimistic innocence of the child - the author can't DO that! It ain't right! - and the hope that things somehow, eventually, turn out happily ever after... But he doesn't get to find out. At least until Steven King finishes his part.

I consider it part and parcel with the introductions. It's part of the same Extended Meta Narrative as they are. If you've read those, I recommend adding this.

Tags
release a rhino , shade