The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about meatspace games

Old 01-28-2016, 02:35 PM
We just don't know.

I picked up the base game 'cause it was on sale. Guess I need to learn it now! UMBY
Old 01-29-2016, 02:02 PM
Bob

I'M HERE BOSS JUST GET ME ON THE FACEBOOKS
Old 02-12-2016, 03:08 PM
We just don't know.

So I finally got and broke out my physical copy of this and played a bunch with my friend. I've played Shaper with Umby on Jinteki and I also got to play Criminal with real cards. I like criminal, but things went south for me very quickly. He only had a non-ending trace ice up on his hand so I kept running it, taking tags left and right because it was HB and I didn't give a fuck, until he suddenly scored a Private Security Force and the tables weren't turned, they were flipped with vengeance. I should have given a fuck.

I also played NBN, which was frustrating; I basically got no ice at all; After learning as Weyland and HB I felt credit starved; and I always had one or two components of a really strong combo in hand but lacked the crucial other components to launch them. To wit: I had two of the X credits for X advancement, and 2 agendas, and nothing to get more tags on him. This was the same game he got magnum opus and like 2 Mind's Eye cards, too.

I want to play both NBN and Criminal again, and I have yet to try Jinteki and Anarch, either. Starting to think about minor deck building tweaks within the core set, too.

Netrunner!
Old 02-12-2016, 03:34 PM
Dinger!

Pronouns: he/him

NBN and Jinteki are both very poor out of the core set, yeah. Beanstalk Royalties is a pretty essential addition, I think.
Old 04-23-2016, 07:24 PM
Bob

Well, I got 6th place at regionals... in a thirteen player pool (lol). Still not bad! Lost twice to the winner of the whole thing and once to someone around my level.
Old 05-15-2016, 05:19 PM
There he is!

So has anyone here had a chance to try out Mainframe yet? I played a bit after my opponent and I both flatlined each other in the last round of a GNK yesterday. Seems cool, but it doesn't scale well to 2 players.
Old 04-24-2018, 07:53 AM
Dinger!

Netrunner was recently featured on the TV show Billions

This clip is both amazing for accurately portraying the rules of the game, and also hilariously bad at portraying how people actually talk while playing the game. Or talk, like, ever.
Old 04-24-2018, 09:54 AM
Bob

I haven't watched it, but I heard they enlisted some of the top players as consultants for this segment, which is why they apparently followed the rules well.

I'm still playing Netrunner! It's a lot of fun and the designer is being smart about banning and restricting cards now. I don't have a lot of time to play these days but I still have a ton of fun thinking about it.
Old 06-08-2018, 10:00 AM
Bob

Netrunner is dead. WotC pulled the license.

Fuck everything.
Old 06-08-2018, 10:25 AM
YOU FOOL??

Pronouns: He/Him

I just saw that. What an enormous shame and what a way for probably my favorite ever card game to end.
Old 06-08-2018, 01:41 PM
Dinger!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umby View Post
Netrunner is dead. WotC pulled the license.

Fuck everything.
To be clear: WotC didn't pull the license, the license agreement ended. I have to imagine the two sides just couldn't come to an agreement on new terms.

Still, it's a shame. Although I stopped buying Netrunner cards two years ago, so this doesn't hugely affect me. And it's not as though the game is disappearing - they just won't make new stuff. There's still tons of Netrunner left to play.
Old 06-08-2018, 01:48 PM
There he is!

I'm seriously bummed out by this, I've been playing for almost 5 years now and I just went to my third Regional last weekend. I hope the community comes together to keep unofficial things going, and I'm hopeful they will, but it's still a shame.
Old 06-08-2018, 02:30 PM
Bob

Regardless, a lot of the new stuff and theorycrafting is why I stuck with the game. I'm sure if the same sort of people stick around FFG will make something else compelling that I can get on at the beginning, but Netrunner will always hold a special place in my heart.