The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about meatspace games

Old 04-04-2018, 09:57 AM
Phantastic Oil

Pronouns: He/Him

I've been hoping for the last day or two that you wouldn't see the optimal play, lol. >_<

Good job!
Old 04-04-2018, 11:47 AM
Yes, let's feast!

Pronouns: he

Migratory triggers, then Gil Snapper starves 1. Everyone give this a quick check before we wrap up here.

JBear
Adamantoise (Horns, Mud Wallowing, Migratory, Foraging) 🌿🌿🌿🌿🌿
Pop. oooooo
Size oooooo

Gil Snapper (Migratory, Long Neck, Foraging, Mud Wallowing) 🌿🌿🌿🌿🌿
Pop. ooooox
Size oooooo

Taeryn
Trash Pandas (Climbing, Scavenger) 🌿🍖🍖🍖
Pop. oooooo
Size oooooo

Scoutpecker (Symbiosis, Warning Call, Scavenger) 🌿🍖🍖🍖
Pop. oooooo
Size oooooo

Taeraptor (Carnivore, Pack Hunting, Ambush, Climbing) 🍖🍖🍖🍖🍖🍖
Pop. oooooo
Size oooooo

Mr Bean
Le Fou's Yellow-Billed Wanderpecker (Symbiosis, Foraging, Scavenger, Cooling Frills) 🌿🌿🍖
Pop. oooooo
Size oooooo

Wandersaur (Intelligence, Migratory, Foraging, Hard Shell) 🌿🌿🌿🌿
Pop. oooooo
Size oooooo

Kalir
PILLOWRAY (Symbiosis, Nocturnal, Intelligence, Cooperation) 🌿🌿🌿🌿🌿
Pop. oooooo
Size oooooo

NAPFISH (Hibernation, Burrowing, Long Neck, Scavenger) 🌿🌿🌿🌿
Pop. oooooo
Size oooooo

Serephine
Dragnasties (Foraging, Cooperation, Intelligence, Ambush) 🌿🌿🌿🌿
Pop. oooooo
Size oooooo

Dreamoles (Mud Wallowing, Defensive Herding, Long Neck, Hibernation) 🌿🌿🌿
Pop. oooooo
Size oooooo
Old 04-04-2018, 12:01 PM
Phantastic Oil

My plan of hoping that a meteor strikes Taeryn's species is proceeding apace.
Old 04-04-2018, 02:15 PM
-ryn

I can't wait until the movie about reviving the Taerapotrs using frog DNA and putting them in a theme park is made. Its gonna be great.
Old 04-04-2018, 03:59 PM
Yes, let's feast!

Round 1
  • Serephine: 2
  • JBear: 3
  • Taeryn: 1
  • Mr Bean: 2
  • Kalir: 3
Mr Bean went all in with a new species and got punished for it, putting him on the back foot for the rest of the game. This exact thing happened to me in my last game. I feel ya there. JBear and Kalir take an early lead.

Round 2
  • JBear: 8 (+5)
  • Taeryn: 4 (+3)
  • Mr Bean: 4 (+2)
  • Kalir: 7 (+4)
  • Serephine: 7 (+5)
Despite all the weeping and wailing about our dominant carnivores, JBear still holds the lead, and Taeryn is tied for last.

Round 3
  • Taeryn: 9 (+5)
  • Mr Bean: 8 (+4)
  • Kalir: 12 (+5)
  • Serephine: 12 (+5)
  • JBear: 13 (+5)
This round, the other players catch up to JBear and Serephine, who didn't improve from the previous round. Several new species entered the mix this round, which will have trickle-down effects through the rest of the game. This is the first round where Taeryn isn't in dead last.

Round 4
  • Mr Bean: 13 (+5)
  • Kalir: 20 (+8)
  • Serephine: 21 (+9)
  • JBear: 20 (+7)
  • Taeryn: 18 (+9)
The carnivore players finally get the best yield this round. With a low total population, Mr Bean struggles to keep pace in the face of abundant plant food.

Round 5
  • Kalir: 29 (+9)
  • Serephine: 30 (+9)
  • JBear: 29 (+9)
  • Taeryn: 29 (+11)
  • Mr Bean: 18 (+5)
Taeryn has finally caught back up in total food. Serephine is in the lead, with JBear, Taeryn, and Kalir all tied. This is the round where Kalir talked Taeryn into eating JBear's Adamantoise instead of Serephine's Dragnasties. In the context of our leaderboards, this does look like the right choice from Taeryn's perspective: if Taeraptor ate Dragnasties instead of Adamantoise, JBear would have two more points, putting him in the lead.

Round 6
  • Serephine: 35 (+5)
  • JBear: 37 (+8)
  • Taeryn: 40 (+11)
  • Mr Bean: 25 (+7)
  • Kalir: 38 (+9)
Looking at just the scores, it looks like Taeryn makes it through this round unscathed, while Serephine and JBear lose ground. In practice, Serephine and Taeryn both take huge population losses, each losing a species. While Taeryn pulls ahead in points due to Scavenger, JBear and Kalir are able to avoid starvation. Mr Bean is the sole player to improve his score from the previous round.

Round 7
  • JBear: 47 (+10)
  • Taeryn: 54 (+14)
  • Mr Bean: 32 (+7)
  • Kalir: 47 (+9)
  • Serephine: 42 (+7)
Taeryn comes into this round with 11 cards and a slight point lead. All in all, a huge advantage, and Taeryn is able to convert that into the highest-scoring round in the game. Serephine misplays slightly by holding onto cards that could've been turned into easily-fed population. Everyone else is constrained by only having two species to a maximum of 12 Population, but no one had the means to safely introduce a species in the final round.

Final Scoring

Serephine
42 Food
6 Population
8 Traits
Total: 56

JBear
47 Food
10 Population
8 Traits
Total: 65

Taeryn
54 Food
14 Population
9 Traits
Total: 77

Mr Bean
32 Food
7 Population
8 Traits
Total: 47

Kalir
47 Food
9 Population
8 Traits
Total: 64

Taeryn wins.

By a considerable margin, too. So let's look at what happened.

Taeryn spent half of the game lagging behind, only surpassing Serephine when Desertification hit. JBear and Kalir took an early lead, but they fell behind because they weren't able to sustain a third species. Mr Bean got gunshy about adding a new species after being punished for it in the first round (which was bad luck, frankly -- the carnivores could have picked on anyone). Taeryn ran away with the win by maintaining more species than any other player.

"That's all well and good," you say, "but what could we have done to stop it?"

Good question, and the answer isn't overwhelmingly clear, partly because Taeryn just won by so much. Serephine probably had the best shot at a win, being in the lead with three living species when Taeryn caught up in round 5, but Serephine wasn't ready for Desertification. Taeryn wasn't completely prepared, either -- both players got hit hard -- but Taeryn made it out of that round with three species, thanks to Scavenger. Serephine lost an all-star species in the Gothguanas, which was crippling. A single survival trait like Long Neck or Scavenger would have kept the Gothguanas around.

Note that Taeryn's Muckrakers, also extinct in round 6, had equal Population and one more trait. Taeryn ended up losing slightly more than Serephine, but Taeryn's total population was 11 by that point, and Serephine was unable to fully feed the Dreamoles, ending the round with only 7.

What about JBear and Kalir? While they may have weathered Desertification in stride, without Scavenger, they couldn't capitalize on the carnivores' success. Kalir never saw Scavenger until the final round, but JBear passed on it in round 4. Scavenger was the key to Taeryn's ultimate success, and it could've done great things for either of them. Without Scavenger, JBear and Kalir were relying on their ability to win the plant game, where Taeryn and Serephine were progressively gaining ground.

Finally, the option was there for JBear and Kalir to go predator at several points in the game. It wouldn't have been without cost -- both players kept their species' Body Size low for most of the game -- but it never is.

Congratulations to Taeryn on the win, and thank you to everyone who participated, whether by playing, posting, or just reading along.
Old 04-04-2018, 05:16 PM
I have a Plan

I don't think I would've played anything significantly differently had I replayed this same game, and that I did the best I could. At the very least, I was consistently getting a pretty decent amount of points!
Old 04-04-2018, 06:02 PM
Phantastic Oil

I would have chosen to take Scavenger instead of Nocturnal, but that's about it, really.

ETA: Oh, and I would have taken Long Neck instead of Migratory a few around ago, if I hadn't misread how Ambush worked.
Old 04-04-2018, 06:37 PM
-ryn

I clearly had my head in the predator game and so I played the Muck Rakers about a turn behind the game state consistently. Otherwise, I got pretty lucky with pack hunting and carnivore on the first turn and got lucky playing climbing the same turn as Kalir did.

I think pushing the climate would have been a way to hit me. I was trying to play small since I had other defenses but with all the predator and anti-predator traits, I never really had anything to deal with extremes of weather.

I never asked, but do defensive traits apply to my own species also? Like with Scoutpeckers having symbiosis and warning call, could my Taeraptors have eaten one if they needed to?
Old 04-04-2018, 06:49 PM
I have a Plan

I was trying to push climate harder earlier, but it kept getting canceled out. NAPFISH would've done much better had we actually reached that Cold Snap. So it goes!
Old 04-04-2018, 07:24 PM
Phantastic Oil

And I spent the whole game trying to push things warm. I'd been gunning for the 0 food event from turn 1.
Old 04-04-2018, 07:48 PM
Yes, let's feast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taeryn View Post
I never asked, but do defensive traits apply to my own species also?
Yes. This leads to silly scenarios where your carnivore can't eat its neighbors because it warns them it's coming.

Tags
board game , board games , let's play , mutant ninja cicadas , turtle facts