The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about meatspace games

Old 03-24-2018, 11:38 PM
Metaphysical organ dealer

Pronouns: He/him
Default Battlecruisin' Across the Universe

In Battlecruisers you are the captain of a space cruiser on a mission, who has just so happened to run into 2-4 enemy ships, all of you represented by an identical hand of cards. Each card has a number, name, one or more symbols that I’ll represent with [brackets], a main effect that is positive (for the person who plays it, at least), and a Clash effect that is generally negative for everyone involved.

Each player starts off with the same hand but one random card in each of their Discard and Recovery Zones. Every round they will secretly select a card to play and then simultaneously reveal their choices. The cards will be resolved in numerical order, low to high. If you’re the only person who played that card that round, congrats! You get the Main Effect! If two or more players played the same card, they all use the Clash Effect instead, which is generally harmless at best. At the end of the round, all players take the card in their Recovery Zone back into their hand and their played card goes to the RZ.

Discarded cards represent damaged ship systems. Your discard pile is kept face down; you can look at it but no one else can, keeping your damaged systems secret! When you’re down to only a single card in play, in your hand, and in your RZ (in other words, one card *not* in your discard pile), you enter Red Alert mode and automatically play that one card from your RZ every round; if you regain any cards from your discard you leave Red Alert and resume playing normally. If you ever have to discard your last card, that’s it for your ship and you are out of the game. Your discard pile remains in the game to represent the destroyed hulk of your cruiser.

The ultimate goal of the game is to collect 15 Victory Points or be the last cruiser remaining. For this game we’ll be using the basic 3-player starter hand with the following cards:

3 Shields [Circuits] [Negation]: You ignore opponents’ Main effects this round and next round. If this is your only card at the end of a round, discard it. Clash: No effect.

11 Reckless Pilot [People]: Discard one Card. Gain 4VP. Clash: Discard this card or one card from your hand.

13 Captain [People] [Ammo]: Gain 3VP. Clash: Gain 3VP, then lose 1VP for every player who clashed with this card, including yourself.

22 Special Ops [People] [Ammo]: Take 1VP from each opponent unless you are the player with the single most VP. Clash: No effect.

31 Laser Cannons [Ammo]: Each opponent discards one card. Clash: Discard one card.

43 Escape Pod [Circuits] [People]: Gain 1VP. If you have no cards in your hand, return up to three cards of your choice from your discard pile to your hand. Clash: Discard this card.

If four or five people want to play, we’ll add the following cards respectively:

29 Attack Bots [Ammo]: Take a card from one opponent’s Recovery Zone into your hand. Clash: Discard the card in your Recovery Zone.

17 Ambassador [People]: Gain 1VP. If two or more opponents clashed, gain 2VP. If you have a [Planet] symbol in your Recovery Zone, gain 1VP. Clash: Lose 1VP.

If you’re interested in playing, post below. Card choices will be PMed to me each round; I’ll resolve one round a day, at about 5 PM Pacific time. I’ll send out PMs with each player's starting discarded and RZ cards around that time tomorrow, or earlier if we hit five players quickly. Tabletalk is absolutely encouraged, especially lying about what card you intend to play each round.

Last edited by Lucas; 03-24-2018 at 11:39 PM. Reason: Sorry, no art or pretty formatting from me :(
Old 03-25-2018, 04:11 PM
Yes, let's feast!

Pronouns: he

I'll give this a try.

You neglected to mention the full title, but that probably only makes a difference to me - I like Eminent Domain and its other microgame Microcosm.

What difference do the symbols make, and why is the captain ammo?
Old 03-25-2018, 04:46 PM

"Battlecruisers - Eminent Domain Universe" just feels so unwieldy as a title though!

The symbols on each card can be referenced by other cards' Effects, as with the Ambassador card. The base game comes with 33 different cards (plus there are promos in other TMG games) you can choose from to make a scenario. With the beginner's scenario we're using, the symbols are just flavor because only Ambassador references them and it doesn't even use a symbol that's on any of the cards in the set.

"Ammo" might be more accurately called "supplies" because it's also used on Scavenge, Supply Run, and a few other not-entirely-violent cards in addition to most direct attacks, but the symbol itself is a row of bullets so....
Old 03-25-2018, 07:15 PM

We need at least two more players before we can begin! If you like games with plenty of WIFOM thinking, this is for you!

Tags
battlecruisers , play by post