The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about books

Old 10-10-2018, 02:11 PM
Senhor Member

OMG, after I read X-Man I went back in time to read Howard Mackie's Astonishing X-Man. Nate Grey doesn't do anything interesting but Mackie understands the core of his character, clearly.

He never snowboards in his book, but you know, he really should've.

Also very chill about robot tentacles

This is from Bishop's miniseries. I've screencapped shit like this before and I will never stop.

The villain was just real gross is my take away.

Old 10-10-2018, 02:13 PM
Senhor Member

Happy 50th page!!!

Old 10-10-2018, 03:09 PM
Phantoostic Fantasm

Pronouns: He

Wait... isn't Madelyne Pryor X-Mans mom?

Alternate timeline mom, sure... but still.
Old 10-10-2018, 03:13 PM
Senhor Member

Yeah. It’s weird.

(At some points she is apparently an alternate Jean Grey pretending to be an alternate Madelyne pretending to be this Madelyne. I personally like to think the replacement Jean/Madelyne was lying about how long she was traveling with Nate)
Old 10-10-2018, 04:54 PM
Love is OGR

Pronouns: They/Them, She/Her

Grant Morrison's New X-Men is extremely impressive. Huge stakes, great character work, fantastic concepts, tremendous art and a tone that's not afraid to diverge from prior precedents and maintains a confidence in its own direction. The concurrent Joe Casey run on Uncanny is by comparison really forced, like someone's insecure attempts to appear relevant by adopting the superficial trappings of something that's currently popular. That aspect is probably best or worst embodied in Stacy X, a mutant sex worker who's introduced as a new member of the team, whose powerset involves pheromone control which is narratively mostly used to make people cum so hard they pass out during conflict. There's a scene where Wolverine lectures her on supposed hard life lessons and it's one of the worst things I've read in this comic through its run, so I'm putting his closing argument behind a spoilerpop:

Rancid!

As awkward as Casey's run is, his successor is Chuck Austen, whose reputation on this book precedes him, to put it one way. From the first arc or so, it's an earned reputation, full of weird potty humour and bizarre attempts at one-liners. Worst of all, it's probably the most het X-Men I've ever read, where women instantly hate each other on sight while dudes on the sidelines mug and grin at the ensuing conflict. I hate it.

Finally, as another bright spot, there's the limited series Mekanix, by far Chris Claremont's best work in this era and since his return to Marvel. Kitty Pryde's arc around this period has moved her away from the X-teams and into university, and it's been really good to witness evolve organically (Greg Rucka wrote a very good one-shot about her around this time for X-Men Unlimited #38). Mekanix is solely focused on that development and her navigating her new environment, and the other starring character is none other than Xi'an Coy Manh, Karma, who is a shamefully underused character through all of her existence, so it's a huge treat to see her here and interacting with Kitty. It's very gay and good and I like it.

Xorn is really great in New X-Men. He's just a sweet Chinese dude with a star for a head (for those of you smirking knowingly, I'm vaguely aware of what's going to happen)! I think he wears the new X-brand attire the best out of anyone, maybe tied with Jean.

Beak is also cute.

No one you know is straight, Scott.

X-Men should always be a queer hangout feelings book.
Old 10-11-2018, 06:07 AM
Mr. Jackpots

Pronouns: he/him

That's some weird shit, Sbarro
Old 10-11-2018, 07:03 AM
Senhor Member

I wonder how it was received in the 90s. (I inconsistently read the letters pages) I know in the Silver Age, Xavier would brainwash people on the reg and I wonder if it seemed villainous then, too, or were values just too different.

(I bet this struck people as pretty weird)
Old 10-11-2018, 10:02 AM
This Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peklo View Post
The concurrent Joe Casey run on Uncanny is by comparison really forced, like someone's insecure attempts to appear relevant by adopting the superficial trappings of something that's currently popular.
I've found this to be the Joe Casey experience no matter the book.

I've also got a little bit of ironic "so bad its good" affection for the Chuck Austen X-Men run. Because nearly every idea in it is just sooo terrible. Its not Stacy X, a concept done poorly but at least you can see a way that someone could take it and do something interesting, but just categorically terrible ideas done poorly. What if Archangel had an underage girlfriend? What if that pitchfork wielding mob way back when was right when they called Nightcrawler a demon?
Old 10-11-2018, 10:20 AM
Love is OGR

What if Jubilee and Skin and Magma were brought back from the publishing void just to be maimed, killed and literally crucified on the X-Mansion lawn for some good ol' shock value? What if there was a secret villainous conspiracy to ordain Kurt as a priest and ascend him to the papacy in a convoluted plot to exacerbate anti-mutant sentiment? What if communion wafers were tampered with so they disintegrated people in an effort to enact a rapture? What if the villain was revealed to be a woman who was raped, to serve no narrative end? What if everyone in this comic were repulsed by Stacy simply because she was a sex worker, until she was written out of the book and none of the characters cared? What if everyone was really hostile and mean to each other for no reason all the time? What if?

New X-Men: still killing it. I am glad to finally be reading stories featuring characters I've been peripherally aware of for years, like Quentin Quire, but never having read much starring them before now.
Old 10-11-2018, 02:18 PM
Senhor Member

I’m just wandering around short miniseries and spin-offs tangentially related to things I’ve read before getting back to X-Force. I didn’t think I’d like Warlock because I normally find him so annoying, but I really enjoy what Louise Simonson and Pasqual Ferry do with him. Also he’s not back to talking Like That yet. (no idea how he sheds the Douglock identity - apparently happens in an X-Men annual.

cute joke imo. lots of cute jokes.

Big fan of people crouching in bubbles. Also I guess he gets that large so he can adorably crouch.

I enjoyed both these letters but particularly Ferry’s enthusiasm.

Old 10-14-2018, 12:49 PM
Love is OGR

Still on this journey to mystery. Probably gonna compartmentalize a bit.

New Mutants vol. 2 rules. It's not even been that long since Generation X wrapped up, but it feels like an eternity since there was a book about teens going to school and having teen feelings in the line. There's always a need for that, and this is doubly good because it brings in a new generation of kids like Prodigy, Surge, Wind Dancer, Wallflower etc. as well as makes characters like Dani and Xi'an central cast regulars for the first time in a long, long time.

Claremont wrote and Sienkiewicz illustrated a story for an issue of X-Men Unlimited about the New Mutants alumni meeting up and reminiscing. It sort of leads into this series, and it's pretty heartfelt to see these characters reunite, as well as this creative team.

At this point it's been maybe five years since Dani and Xi'an saw each other last, and about fifteen since they were on the same team in the same book. Whew!

Even Karma couldn't drag Kitty away from the land of subtext. Shucks.

This isn't exactly a new development for the character and how she's written, but it is a notable early instance of Xi'an self-identifying in no uncertain terms that she's gay on the page. It's great!

A couple of X-Men Unlimited things.

Don't let Adam Warren write anything, god damn.

Do let Cyclops go grocery shopping.

Iwasaki is a long-time Arc System Works artist and game designer. Her directorial credits include Guilty Gear Petit and the overlooked Battle Fantasia.

Brian K. Vaughan launched a Mystique ongoing, and it's... pretty fun? A bunch of relatively light-hearted in tone espionage stories, with a huge proliferation of snappy banter. Mystique is sent on clandestine missions by Xavier, while Forge serves as her tech support. It's alright!

Love dated references!

Writers trying to grapple with and retroactively justify irreverent Kirby/Lee bombast is always pretty funny, and this isn't the first time someone's gone the "we were being ironic" route.

Forge's secondary mutation is advanced integration of analogies into his dialogue.

That's our big nerd.

oh

The less-seen EVA unit remodel of Sentinels.

Mystique is queer representation.

The skull goes really well with the speech.

Mystique chases a transwoman into a sewer system, uses the severed hand of a deceased mutant to turn part of the piping into gold, and gifts the gold to the woman to fund her transitioning. Yes.

Michael Ryan draws a really good Raven.

Austen is still on Uncanny X-Men and oh my god why is his run so endless. Most recently: The Draco, The Trial of Juggernaut, She Lies with Angels. Anyone who's read any of these knows exactly what they're about. It feels like I'm reading a huge pisstake about X-Men, but I guess it's actually very sincere. Austen's depiction of Juggernaut comes off as this weird sort of self-insert redemption arc, and it's fairly creepy.

Wolverine vol. 3 brings with it a welcome reset on solo Wolverine stories, which at this point have been trudging along in the customary narrative malaise for years. There isn't any huge reinvention here, just a very talented creative team doing good work: Greg Rucka on writing, and Darick Robertson on art. Robertson especially deserves credit for drawing Logan as the squat little goblin man that he is, even if reportedly around this time an edict came down from on high at Marvel that artists should start depicting him to match up more with Hugh Jackman's film portrayals. He's an angry little furball here, and it's great.

Esad Ribic does the covers for the series, including this legendary one featuring Logan glaring intently at Kurt's dick. Whatever you read into it is deliberate.

The other kind of Logan that's acceptable to me: hot and horny queer icon.

That made his day, I think.

Robertson is really good.

Shadowcat.

He basically has the anatomy of the Wolverine from Kitty's fairy tale.

Claremont is still writing X-Treme X-Men, including a fairly nothing God Loves, Man Kills follow-up arc literally titled God Loves, Man Kills II. The high point here comes in the four-parter Storm: The Arena arc, featuring Ororo in the central role for the first time in a while, and with Yukio and Callisto both present. It's incredibly queer! It also features a lot of the Claremont standbys like mental and physical bondage as threats from S/M-themed villains and heroes struggling with the temptations of corruption. You take the good with the bad, or surrender to the horny.

Every dang time these two meet it opens with a freefall rescue followed by flirting and cuddling.

Gals being pals.

These portraits, everyone. I'd hang the rightmost one on my wall.

Wow, this panel is so platonic. What great friends.

Igor Kordey's Cable and New X-Men issues are rough in parts, but I'm very fond of his work here.

Remember when Jean got tentacle arms for a few issues in 1990 or so and was really blase about it? Claremont does! Never waste a good idea, folks.

Legendary meet-cute. Strong Guy is narrating, so Claremont phonetic accents are back.

Have artists draw punk Storm until the heat death of the universe.

Yukio and Ororo are complicated people.

The troubles are over, and Callisto just decided to keep the tentacles. In her words: "I'm already perfect." Callisto is the best.

An extremely heterosexual ending. I think Claremont's biggest failing as a writer is that he never afforded the same kind of constant subtext to relationships between men as he did for women, but I gotta take what I can get.

I also read: the Emma Frost ongoing, which for its first arc is an interesting coming-of-age narrative that honestly reminds me a lot of the old Firestar mini-series, perhaps because Emma served as the villain there (she murdered a pony). The big mark against this is that the covers are by fucking Greg Horn, and they're all highly-sexualized pin-up illustrations of the adult Emma in her dubious New X-Men attire... for a book that's about how hard it's being a teen growing up in an abusive family. Gross.
Old 10-14-2018, 01:41 PM
Senhor Member

Loved Mystique. Looking forward to revisiting it in ages. Also, Emma frost’s covers stops... being like that fairly soon. I think a cover for an issue in the second art was used for the TPB of the first.

Also loved New New Mutants and the first part of Second New X-Men after that with the same writers. Really despised the slaughterfest that book becomes under Kyle and Yost, also, Decimation generally.
Old 10-14-2018, 08:33 PM
Love is OGR

Morrison's New X-Men concluded, Whedon's Astonishing X-Men started. I loved the former, the latter is about what I expect. Not a novel observation by any means, but I was talking about it elsewhere:

i finished morrison's run and started whedon's
morrison's x-men is so strongly defined by evolution--evolution as a concept, evolution as the ultimate adversary, evolution of x-men as an ongoing serial narrative
whedon's so far is the opposite--it reads like it's being written by a fan, because it is, and banks heavily on nostalgia to invest you in it

whedon brought colossus back, who died a few years earlier
on its own, it's fine, because comics, so sure
but in this context it just plays into the big nostalgia angle, and especially in light of how he put kitty at the center of that
and the piotr and kitty "romance" as it existed in the old old days is only good in light of the fact that it never went anywhere because the characters recognized it was ethically wrong
but because an untold number of comics nerds read that stuff and imprinted on the character of kitty as their big crush--wow she's a nerd, Just Like Me, in a non-threatening way--they absolutely keep dragging it back up years later now that they can write this stuff
and push the heteronormative narrative and grand destiny even though kitty is like, the epicenter of the most queer subtext out of anyone in this damn franchise
and also keep her crystallized in a state of perpetual adolescence because they have to, to maintain their own relationship to the character
it's shitty and exactly what i expect from whedon

It's being entirely carried by the art for me, because John Cassaday is very good at what he does.
Old 10-15-2018, 01:45 PM
Toothsome!

Pronouns: She/Her

Also, Whedon's penchant for having a lithe teenage girl save the day is in full force here.
Old 10-16-2018, 05:08 PM
この世の最も無智なる者

Possibly relevant to this thread's interests:

The Battle of the Atom podcast is having Fabian Nicieza on and soliciting questions. I would not recommend listening to non-interview episodes of the podcast, but their interview episodes are pretty strong.

So, if you have a twitter account and a question for Fabian Nicieza, this is your chance.
Old 10-16-2018, 05:21 PM
Senhor Member

How could you get rid of Feral? (I assume he reads this thread; haven’t posted a tweet in years and I won’t now)
Old 10-16-2018, 06:15 PM
This Guy

I am relatively certain that Fabian Nicieza does not read this forum.
Old 10-16-2018, 06:16 PM
Senhor Member

Same.

Tags
adam x the x-treme , ah cain't touch yuh remy , berserker barrage , chayeh , claremont's boner , focused totality , foreverial tiedup x-men , marvel , mental domination , no quarter asked , none given , scumbag gambit , x-men , xavier is a jerk