The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about TV and film

Old 08-09-2017, 03:38 PM
[kɾoˈxuːɾ]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
McAvoy was okay, but in the wrong movie.
He's trying to be Brad Pitt in Fight Club so hard.
Old 08-10-2017, 09:17 PM
Not a Beer

I saw Atomic Blonde while I was in GA last week, and unlike apparently most of the people here I quite enjoyed it. I'm not particularly a spy/thriller aficionado though, so maybe I'm coming at it from a different place? I dunno. And I though the final twists made a reasonable amount of sense in retrospect.
Old 08-13-2017, 10:34 AM
Programmed to Jingle

And the VROOMATHON reaches its conclusion with The Fate of the Furious and it was... disappointingly decent? I mean, the series had been growing progressively more bugnuts, at a faster (and more furious) rate since cratering in 3 and 8 was... just a well crafted action movie. I mean, there was some memorably terrible dialogue and Charlize Theron phoned in all the cliches she was spouting (Which was pretty discouraging considering how she's been the secret final boss of the franchise), but otherwise it was pretty good.

It was good, but I was expecting insanity. More Commando than Army of Darkness.

To its credit, the movie opens with Vin Diesel making a race car out of a regular car by adding coca cola and pillaging a dentists office for some laughing gas, and features a scene of Charlize Theron commanding an army of car-zombies, making them rain from the skies and crash into things recklessly like Beamng.drive, but that was the extent of it. It was otherwise a quickly paced action movie with pretty well crafted action scenes and lots of explosions.

Anyway, now I'm done the series and can rank them off on a scale of Most to Least Octo;

Furious 7
Fast 5
Fate of the Furious
Fast and Furious 6
Fast and Furious
2 Fast 2 Furious

<then rather a large gap>

The Fast and the Furious

<and another gap, deeper than before. Roars can be heard in its recesses, like some leviathan imprisoned deep within the earth>

The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift
Old 08-13-2017, 01:07 PM
Interstellar Private Eye

Haven't seen the l8st, but that's pretty much how I'd rank the others.

Octo, sir, you're a fine lad.
Old 08-13-2017, 02:43 PM
Programmed to Jingle

Thanks! I try not to be terrible!

Anyway I was eager to finish the VROOMATHON in order to start immediately on watching every Godzilla movie! Or at least about half them, since I barely have any of the Showa series. BUT WHATEVER! NUCLEAR DINOTHON IS GO!

And that means starting with he original Godzilla: King of the Monsters, specifically the Raymond Burr version. I know that the Japanese version is superior, and the American edit really tones things down and barely even glances over some of the major plot-themes, but even still, it's a really good kaiju movie. Easily on par with THEM! or King Kong.

Godzillas attack on (well... stroll through) Tokyo still manages to be one of the most harrowing scenes of panic and destruction I've ever seen, far beyond anything Roland Emmerich managed to wring out of all his movies put together, even with all the really heart-wrenching stuff edited out. It's a great movie by any standard.

Now, I kept bringing up how jarring the tone was to watch all the F&tF movies in order, starting with a fairly low-key drama about an undercover cop befriending the criminals he was investigating to being about a team of super-spy stunt drivers being pursued by a Terminator-esque Jason Statham and thwarting Charlize Therons quest to become a nuclear superpower. So, naturally, I'm going to follow up this movie with Godzilla vs. The Smog Monster. My goal being to see if it's possible for two related movies to be so disparate that my very brain explodes at the attempt to fit them together.
Old 08-13-2017, 04:24 PM
Blue Comet

Just saw Annabelle: Creation. What a scary, scary movie! INFINITELY better than Wish Upon--the acting, the script, the cinematography, all were excellent. I actually had goosebumps and my hair was standing on end at some points, which I haven't had happen in a long time. I think there were a couple of plot holes--Why the hell would the couple invite some nice young girls to live with them when the demon was still living in their house?!?!?! Why didn't they tell the priest about it??? But aside from that, a fantastic horror flick.
Old 08-13-2017, 06:44 PM
Nonplussed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vendrick View Post
Just saw Annabelle: Creation. What a scary, scary movie!
How did you feel about the original Annabelle? I loved both Conjuring movies, but Anabelle left me pretty cold overall.
Old 08-13-2017, 06:45 PM
Blue Comet

I haven't seen the original Annabelle, or the other Conjuring movies, in fact Creation was the first film in the series I actually watched I heard other people as well say the first Annabelle wasn't much good, but if the Conjuring movies are of similar quality, Imma check em out.
Old 08-14-2017, 11:17 PM
Serial Thread Killer

The Plague Dogs

I want to curl up in a ball and die
Old 08-15-2017, 08:00 AM
Random guy

The Name of the Rose movie was certainly more focused than the book. It does go into some of the theological discussions that are such a central part of the book, but they don't go on for as long, and really focus things on the murder mystery. It certainly made me want to re-read the book.

Also, Sean Connery is great it in. It was funny seeing him in the same frames as the same guy who played the villain in quite possibly the worst Bond movie (Moonraker).

It also made me happy to live in 2017 in Canada and not in 1327 in the north of Italy.
Old 08-15-2017, 08:01 AM
Video Monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
Thanks! I try not to be terrible!

Anyway I was eager to finish the VROOMATHON in order to start immediately on watching every Godzilla movie! Or at least about half them, since I barely have any of the Showa series. BUT WHATEVER! NUCLEAR DINOTHON IS GO!

And that means starting with he original Godzilla: King of the Monsters, specifically the Raymond Burr version. I know that the Japanese version is superior, and the American edit really tones things down and barely even glances over some of the major plot-themes, but even still, it's a really good kaiju movie. Easily on par with THEM! or King Kong.

Godzillas attack on (well... stroll through) Tokyo still manages to be one of the most harrowing scenes of panic and destruction I've ever seen, far beyond anything Roland Emmerich managed to wring out of all his movies put together, even with all the really heart-wrenching stuff edited out. It's a great movie by any standard.

Now, I kept bringing up how jarring the tone was to watch all the F&tF movies in order, starting with a fairly low-key drama about an undercover cop befriending the criminals he was investigating to being about a team of super-spy stunt drivers being pursued by a Terminator-esque Jason Statham and thwarting Charlize Therons quest to become a nuclear superpower. So, naturally, I'm going to follow up this movie with Godzilla vs. The Smog Monster. My goal being to see if it's possible for two related movies to be so disparate that my very brain explodes at the attempt to fit them together.
Following up the first G movie with Smog Monster is insane but I'm here, I'm HERE FOR THIS.

...are you skipping to Smog Monster because you don't have any of the films between it and original G?

Anyway my review of Gojira (1954) is that it's still either the best or one of the best Godzilla films, it is eternal, it beats almost any American monster film from the same time period, and yeah both the American and Japanese versions are quality. However when given the choice, I will pick almost any other G film to watch. I still haven't watched the Criterion release of Gojira that I got...like...three years ago?
Old 08-15-2017, 08:42 AM
Programmed to Jingle

The original and Smog Monster are the only Showa-era G movies I own, yes.

The Criterion edition has some egregious sound problems if you're watching the American version; had to have my tv turned up to a volume that rivalled THX ads just to make it audible.
Old 08-15-2017, 08:45 AM
Video Monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
The original and Smog Monster are the only Showa-era G movies I own, yes.

The Criterion edition has some egregious sound problems if you're watching the American version; had to have my tv turned up to a volume that rivalled THX ads just to make it audible.
I was going to fill in the gaps of your G-thon with mini reviews of all the ones you're missing, but that's a damn lot of movies!

I'll...probably do it anyway.
Old 08-15-2017, 11:10 AM
Programmed to Jingle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dracula View Post
I was going to fill in the gaps of your G-thon with mini reviews of all the ones you're missing, but that's a damn lot of movies!

I'll...probably do it anyway.
Be my guest! We'll walk down the path of Dino Damage together!

I also don't have the Matthew Broderick one, but I do have the animated series based on that, and there is a nice little feature-film-length story arc right in the middle there.
Old 08-15-2017, 11:55 AM
Programmed to Jingle

You know what? A Group Rewatch of Kaiju films is more deserving of its own thread than 90% of the subjects on this forum.
Old 08-18-2017, 05:13 PM
the :motion: stands

Turn It Around: The Story of East Bay Punk was fun, but waaaaay too long. They could have cut each of the three (maybe more) Green Day segments in half, and they might have approached a reasonable running time. They absolutely should keep those segments in, since they fit within the narrative structure (and provided a good capstone as to how and why the scene hit its collapse), but none of the other bands were presented with nearly as much of a winding throughline.

Outside of that inevitable criticism, it was a pretty interesting tour of the geography and rallying points that created a diverse, vibrant, interconnected music scene. I can't say I'd recommend it though, unless you're already invested in the scene, because it was 2.5 hours long.
Old 08-19-2017, 06:07 PM
Programmed to Jingle

The 'Burbs is one of those movies that should have been about ten minutes shorter.

Not because it felt like it dragged on too long, but because the last ten minutes ruined the entire movie.
Old 08-19-2017, 06:58 PM
This Guy

Didn't we just have this argument about The Burbs? I disagree strongly, mostly because the rest of the movie is so strong that even if I were to concede that the ending was bad it couldn't ruin it.

I saw Logan Lucky last night. It is pretty good. Daniel Craig seems like he had a ton of fun with it. Most people involved seemed to have, actually. The movie refers to heist as Ocean's 7-11 and that is a pretty accurate take.
Old 08-19-2017, 10:51 PM
Video Monster

Yeah I watched the Burbs coming up on about a year ago. I thought I posted a review in here but a quick search didn't reveal my post...but I saw several other people saying about the same review.

My review of it is about the same. I normally love Joe Dante, so this was a bit of a disappointment.
Old 08-20-2017, 04:49 PM
This Guy

What Happened to Monday is such a great idea for a movie that it is super disappointing that it isn't better. It is a humdrum chase thriller with a concept that would have made a great sci-fi family drama. Noomi Rapace plays seven identical siblings in a future with a one child only policy. So one day a week each of the seven goes out pretending to be the same person. So with an idea like that, obviously the first thing you want to do is start taking siblings off the board and make it all about being on the run. There are twists, but no surprises. Rapace does a good job making the siblings she actually gets a chance to play seem different. I wouldn't even say it is a bad movie, just that the ingredients are here for it to have been something much better.
Old 08-20-2017, 07:22 PM
Safe Space

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rascally Badger View Post
What Happened to Monday is such a great idea for a movie that it is super disappointing that it isn't better. It is a humdrum chase thriller with a concept that would have made a great sci-fi family drama. Noomi Rapace plays seven identical siblings in a future with a one child only policy. So one day a week each of the seven goes out pretending to be the same person. So with an idea like that, obviously the first thing you want to do is start taking siblings off the board and make it all about being on the run. There are twists, but no surprises. Rapace does a good job making the siblings she actually gets a chance to play seem different. I wouldn't even say it is a bad movie, just that the ingredients are here for it to have been something much better.
I'll say. Just look at how Calvin and Hobbes did the concept.

Last edited by Büge; 08-20-2017 at 07:22 PM. Reason: you gotta scroll down a little
Old 08-21-2017, 08:50 AM
Bertolli?!?...

Johnny and I watched Green Room over the weekend, and I thought it was... okay? I went in completely blind, other than Johnny telling me that it was a timely watch given recent world events. Certainly it is a very good premise for a film, but I honestly feel like they kind of squandered it. Also, the middle half of it or so was a gory horror movie, which is absolutely not my scene, and there were a couple of plot beats/shots which didn't really make any sense. Even P-Stew wasn't enough to save it for me.
Old 08-21-2017, 10:32 AM
Gesundheit!

Logan Lucky is better than all three Ocean's movies and has one scene in particular that is about the hardest I've laughed at anything in recent memory. (If you've seen it, you probably know which one I'm talking about)

Last edited by taosterman; 08-21-2017 at 06:17 PM. Reason: Got the title backwards god DAMMIT!!
Old 08-21-2017, 10:41 AM
Video Monster

I had an odd and surreal moment while watching Motel Hell (1980). A character came into the film and I thought he kinda reminded me of John Ratzenburger, who is known to show up in bit parts in a number of 1980s films. The guy wasn't Ratzenburger.

But then, when the credits rolled, I see Ratzenburger's name in the credits. As a different character. Who I hadn't even really noticed. What the fuck
Old 08-21-2017, 07:04 PM
Nonplussed

Quote:
Originally Posted by taosterman View Post
Logan Lucky is better than all three Ocean's movies and has one scene in particular that is about the hardest I've laughed at anything in recent memory. (If you've seen it, you probably know which one I'm talking about)
I've only seen the first Ocean's, but I dearly love it for how snappy it is, which I thought Logan Lucky wasn't. I did enjoy it, but nowhere near as much as Ocean's Eleven.
Old 08-24-2017, 08:35 AM
It's all good, man

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBear View Post
Johnny and I watched Green Room over the weekend, and I thought it was... okay? I went in completely blind, other than Johnny telling me that it was a timely watch given recent world events. Certainly it is a very good premise for a film, but I honestly feel like they kind of squandered it. Also, the middle half of it or so was a gory horror movie, which is absolutely not my scene, and there were a couple of plot beats/shots which didn't really make any sense. Even P-Stew wasn't enough to save it for me.
So you didn't like the horror movie because you don't like horror movies?
Old 08-24-2017, 08:46 AM
Bertolli?!?...

Your point?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBear View Post
I went in completely blind
Also, it unexpectedly being a horror movie had nothing to do with the weird red herring of one of the characters giving a really pregnant glance at something that the camera zoomed in on as he died that never had a pay-off, or it being a good idea for one of the protagonists to put his back to the armed Nazis charging through the door and then voluntarily falling down a hole for some reason. Or the poorly-explained significance of the bloody bat found in a trunk that Patrick Stewart thought was of vital import but didn't see fit to explain to the audience.
Old 08-24-2017, 09:17 AM
It's all good, man

I guess I don't get watching movies blind if there's certain kinds you always dislike.
Old 08-24-2017, 10:07 AM
Bertolli?!?...

I enjoy surprises! If I'm going to experience something, I always prefer to know as little as possible. Sometimes that means I have a bad time, but I'll gladly take that in exchange.

Also, in this case it was curated, and Johnny knew more about it than me, but didn't realize it leaned quite so heavily into the gore.
Old 08-24-2017, 10:48 AM
This Guy

As someone who also doesn't like horror movies, but frequently likes the trappings of horror movies, a seemingly edge case like Green Room can be enticing.

I didn't go see Crimson Peak because it was advertised as a horror movie, but I couldn't wait to see it when I found it was a gothic romance.

Tags
fast and fury road , fear of new threads , film , francoquest , francostein , james franco , jess franco , movies , reviews , wild speed: sky mission , you seen fury road , you'll like fury road