The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about meatspace games

Notices

Old 03-13-2018, 11:45 AM
I have a Plan

Default What a horrible night to have First Aid. Let's Play Shadow Hunters!

Hey kids!

Let's play Shadow Hunters!

Shadow Hunters is kind of a social deduction game flavored like a game of Castlevania. You have two opposing factions, the Shadows (assorted creatures of the night) and the Hunters (people who would combat those creatures) trying to beat the hell out of each other. You also have a handful of Neutral characters in the middle with their own strange objectives. Compared to, say, Mafia, it's considerably more gamist, as you have a board representing locations you can visit, you roll dice to move and attack, and everyone's got various health totals, which is in turn a way to determine information about others.

Let's hit the important notes. First, we'll need 8 players. Of these 8, three of you will be dealt a Hunter, three will be dealt a Shadow, and two will be dealt a Neutral (and I will not deal characters with the same initial out, so if you are Charles, Catherine isn't in play). Each character has a health total (which correlates to their initial), a win condition (which lines up with your team, and is only unconventional for Neutrals), and a unique power. Some of these powers are once per game, and as a general rule, you must reveal your character to use the power. I'll list everyone down here for now, so you get an idea of what to expect, and if a character has a power that does not require revealing, I will let you know.

HUNTERS

All the characters listed here have the same win condition: all Shadow players must be dead.
  • Emi: 10 health, Teleport (instead of rolling dice to move, she may move to any adjacent space).
  • Ellen: 10 health, Chain of Forbidden Curse (once per game at the start of your turn, she may prevent another character from using their special ability for the rest of the game).
  • Franklin: 12 health, Lightning (once per game at the start of your turn, you may damage another player by rolling the 6 sided die).
  • Fu-ka: 12 health, Dynamite Nurse (once per game at the start of your turn, you may set another player's damage taken to 7).
  • George: 14 health, Demolish (once per game at the start of your turn, you may damage another player by rolling the 4 sided die).
  • Gregor: 14 health, Ghostly Barrier (once per game at the end of your turn, you may block all damage you would take from any source until the start of your next turn).

SHADOWS

All the characters listed here have the same win condition: all Hunter players must be dead. (If there is a game with 3 Neutrals, then they can all be dead too.)
  • Unknown: 11 health, Deceit (may lie on any Hermit cards received, you are not required to reveal to do this).
  • Ultra Soul: 11 health, Murder Ray (at the start of your turn, you may deal 3 damage to one character on the Underworld Gate).
  • Vampire: 13 health, Suck Blood (when your attack damages a player, you recover 2 damage of your own).
  • Valkyrie: 13 health, Horn of War Outbreak (when you attack other players, you may just roll the 4 sided die, guaranteeing a hit).
  • Werewolf: 14 health, Counterattack (after you are attacked by another character, you may attack them in return, regardless of range).
  • Wight: 14 health, Multiplication (once per game at the end of your turn, you may gain a number of extra turns equal to the number of dead characters).

NEUTRALS

Each character has their own specific win condition.
  • Allie: 8 health, Mother's Love (once per game, you may fully heal). Allie wins if she is alive when the game ends.
  • Agnes: 8 health, Capriccio (at the start of your turn, you may change your win condition). Agnes wins if the player acting after her wins. If she uses Capriccio, she instead wins if the player acting before her wins.
  • Bob: 10 health, Robbery (when your attack kills a character, you gain all of their equipment). Bob wins if he obtains 5 or more equipment cards.
  • Bryan: 10 health, MYGOD!!! (when you attack kills a character with 12 or less health, you must reveal your character). Bryan wins if his attack kills a character with 13 or more health, or if he ends the game on the Erstwhile Altar.
  • Charles: 11 health, Bloody Feast (after you attack another character, you may attack them again by taking 2 damage after). Charles wins if his attack brings the number of dead characters to 3 or more.
  • Catherine: 11 health, Stigmata (at the start of your turn, regain 1 health). Catherine wins if she dies first, or if she is one of the only two characters alive at the end.
  • Daniel: 13 health, Scream (after another character dies, you must reveal your character). Daniel wins if he dies first, or if all Shadow players are dead and he is alive.
  • David: 13 health, Grave Digger (once per game, you may take an equipment card of your choice from the discards.) David wins if he has 3 or more of the following equipment: Talisman, Spear of Longinus, Holy Robe, Silver Rosary.

Next, let's go over the map. You can see the Damage track on the other side, which is of course public knowledge. As soon as a character's damage matches the space with their initial, they are dead and must remove themselves from the map and reveal who they are (which may also cause other characters to reveal). The six cards up top will, at game start, be assigned to the six spaces forming the triangle shape. On your turn, you'll move to one of those spaces by rolling a 4-sided and 6-sided die and adding them together (On a 7, it's your choice.) After resolving the space, you can attack another character in your area by rolling those same dice, but you take the difference instead, so rolling a 4 and a 2 would result in 2 damage. (If they match, it's a miss.) Anyway, let's go look at these locations!

LOCATIONS
  • 2, 3: Hermit's Cabin. You may draw a Hermit card.
  • 4, 5: Underworld Gate. You may draw a card of any type.
  • 6: Church. You may draw a White card.
  • 8: Cemetery. You may draw a Black card.
  • 9: Weird Woods. You may either deal 2 damage or heal 1 damage to any one character, including yourself.
  • 10: Erstwhile Altar. You may steal an Equipment card from another player.

There's a bunch of cards to go over, but I'm not gonna dissect them here, they can be covered in a later post. Quick details that will matter: the White and Black decks consist of Single-Use and Equipment cards (they work exactly how you think they do), the Black deck primarily consists of weapons while the White deck is healing and defense with a hint of apocalypse and Hunter-favoritism, and the Hermit deck is the main way to get information. Hermit cards almost all pose a question to the tune of "I bet you're a Hunter! If so, take 1 damage!" You do not resolve these cards yourself: instead, you draw one, read it, and then pass it to another player. They then do the thing it says if they fit the role, otherwise they just say "nothing happens". Point being, Hermit cards are the main way to get information (and nobody can lie on them... except the Unknown, so watch out).

The game ends as soon as any player achieves their victory condition, and victory conditions are not necessarily dependent on being alive. It is possible for literally the whole table to win (say, if the two neutrals are Daniel and Catherine, and the last Shadow and Hunter both die at the same time) but extremely unlikely. That's about it for the basics. Who wants to sign up? (And if you don't sign up or are too late, maybe you can still get into the Hermit's Cabin.)

EDIT: Here's the full infodump now that we're in play proper.

PLAYERS:
  • jenkitchen: Fu-ka, a Hunter. Power used.
  • Mogri: Emi, a Hunter. Dead.
  • JBear: Charles, a Neutral. Equipment: Talisman, Chainsaw.
  • aturtledoesbite: Valkyrie, a Shadow. Dead.
  • Westerhof: Bryan, a Neutral. Dead.
  • Serephine: George, a Hunter. Power used.
  • Destil: Werewolf, a Shadow.
  • Gerad: Ultra Soul, a Shadow. Dead.

BLACK CARDS
  • Vampire Bats: Single Use: Deal 2 damage to another character and heal 1 damage from yourself. There are three of these in the deck.
  • Moody Goblin: Single Use: Steal an Equipment card from another player. There are two of these in the deck.
  • Bloodthirsty Spider: Single Use: Deal 2 damage to another character and take 2 damage yourself.
  • Dynamite: Single Use: Roll the 4 sided and 6 sided die, and deal 3 damage to each character on the space rolled. (7's are a dud.)
  • Diabolic Ritual: Single Use: You may recover all of your health if you are a revealed Shadow. (You may reveal to gain this effect.)
  • Spiritual Doll: Single Use: Choose another player and roll the 6 sided die. On a 1 to 4, they take 3 damage. On a 5 or 6, you take 3 damage.
  • Banana Peel: Single Use: Give an Equipment card to another player, or take 1 damage if you have no equipment.
  • Rusted Broad Axe/Chainsaw/Butcher Knife: Equipment: Increase the damage of your successful attacks by 1. One of each of these in the deck.
  • Cursed Sword Masamune: Equipment: When attacking another player, you only roll the 4 sided die, guaranteeing a hit. You must attack each turn.
  • Handgun: Equipment: All ranges except your own become your attack range. This prevents you from attacking characters in your own range.
  • Machine Gun: Equipment: When you attack, you target all characters in your range rather than one of your choice. Use the same roll for all characters.

HERMIT CARDS
  • Hermit's Slap: I bet you're a Hunter! If so, receive 1 damage! There are two copies of this in the deck.
  • Hermit's Spell: I bet you're a Shadow! If so, receive 1 damage!
  • Hermit's Exorcism: I bet you're a Shadow! If so, receive 2 damage!
  • Hermit's Aid: I bet you're a Hunter! If so, heal 1 damage, or take 1 damage if you are at full health!
  • Hermit's Huddle: I bet you're a Shadow! If so, heal 1 damage, or take 1 damage if you are at full health!
  • Hermit's Nurturance: I bet you're a Neutral! If so, heal 1 damage, or take 1 damage if you are at full health!
  • Hermit's Bully: I bet you have 11 or less health (name starts with A, B, C, E, or U)! If so, take 1 damage!
  • Hermit's Tough Lesson of Love: I bet you have 12 or more health (name starts with D, F, G, V, or W)! If so, take 2 damage!
  • Hermit's Blackmail: I bet you're a Neutral or Hunter! If so, either give the current player an Equipment card or take 1 damage! There are two copies of this in the deck.
  • Hermit's Greed: I bet you're a Neutral or Shadow! If so, either give the current player an Equipment card or take 1 damage! There are two copies of this in the deck.
  • Hermit's Anger: I bet you're a Shadow or Hunter! If so, either give the current player an Equipment card or take 1 damage! There are two copies of this in the deck.
  • Hermit's Prediction: You must show your character card to the current player! (This means it even works on the Unknown!)

WHITE CARDS
  • Holy Water of Healing: Single Use: Heal 2 damage from yourself. There are two of these in the deck.
  • Blessing: Single Use: Choose a character aside from yourself and roll the 6-sided die, healing them for that value.
  • Guardian Angel: Single Use: You cannot be damaged by the attacks of other characters until your next turn.
  • Concealed Knowledge: Single Use: After this turn ends, take another turn.
  • Advent: Single Use: You may recover all of your health if you are a revealed Hunter. (You may reveal to gain this effect.)
  • Chocolate: Single Use: You may recover all of your health if you are a revealed character with the initial A, E, or U. (You may reveal to gain this effect.)
  • Disenchant Mirror: Single Use: If you are a Shadow character except for the Unknown, you must reveal.
  • Flare of Judgment: Single Use: All characters aside from yourself take 2 damage.
  • First Aid: Single Use: Set any character's damage total to 7.
  • Holy Robe: Equipment: Reduce damage taken and dealt by attacks by 1.
  • Spear of Longinus: Equipment: If you are a revealed Hunter, your attacks deal 2 extra damage. (You may reveal as part of the attack to gain the effect.)
  • Silver Rosary: Equipment: When your attack kills another character, you gain all of their equipment.
  • Talisman: Equipment: You can no longer be damaged by Vampire Bats, Bloodthirsty Spiders, or Dynamite.
  • Fortune Brooch: Equipment: You can no longer be damaged by the Weird Woods. (Healing is still allowed.)
  • Mystic Compass: Equipment: When moving, you may roll the dice twice and take whichever result you prefer.

Last edited by Kalir; 03-22-2018 at 01:05 PM.
Old 03-13-2018, 11:51 AM
I'm gonna wreck it

Jen loves this game. She will play. I'm not sure how it will translate to a play by post formate.
Old 03-13-2018, 11:52 AM
Yes, let's feast!

Pronouns: he

Sign me right up.
Old 03-13-2018, 11:52 AM
Phantastic Oil

Pronouns: He/Him

Sure, this looks simple enough. Sign me up!
Old 03-13-2018, 12:00 PM
earthquake ace

Pronouns: Any

anime mafia

i can dig it

put me in, coach
Old 03-13-2018, 12:24 PM
YOU FOOL??

I would like to play.
Old 03-13-2018, 12:30 PM
hang high, soft star

I've always wanted to play this game with people who actually want to play it right! Pick me!
Old 03-13-2018, 12:44 PM
Chaotic Good

Pronouns: he / him

This is so far up my alley UPS refuses to ship there.

Deal me in.
Old 03-13-2018, 01:02 PM
Yes, let's feast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serephine View Post
I've always wanted to play this game with people who actually want to play it right! Pick me!
Sounds like there's a story here...
Old 03-13-2018, 02:53 PM
Holy Swine

I'll play if there's room.
Old 03-13-2018, 02:59 PM
earthquake ace

You're #8, so it works!
Old 03-13-2018, 07:48 PM
I have a Plan

Yep, that'll do it! Give me a bit to get the board set up and get everyone their characters dealt, and then we can begin.
Old 03-13-2018, 08:53 PM
I have a Plan

Right, here's our starting board. The turn order is the same order you posted in, so it'll go jenkitchen, Mogri, JBear, aturtledoesbite, Westerhof, Serephine, Destil, and Gerad. If you are Agnes, this matters for your win condition, but other than that it's a turn order.

Hello jenkitchen! The dice say 8, so you go to the Cemetery as your first move, where you may take a Black card! Note that activating spaces is always optional, but using cards you draw is mandatory, so if you are deathly afraid of cards in the deck, don't draw them.

What kind of cards does the Black deck have in it, anyway? For that, we turn to the spoilerpop. Note that all equipment modifiers stack.

BLACK CARDS
  • Vampire Bats: Single Use: Deal 2 damage to another character and heal 1 damage from yourself. There are three of these in the deck.
  • Moody Goblin: Single Use: Steal an Equipment card from another player. There are two of these in the deck.
  • Bloodthirsty Spider: Single Use: Deal 2 damage to another character and take 2 damage yourself.
  • Dynamite: Single Use: Roll the 4 sided and 6 sided die, and deal 3 damage to each character on the space rolled. (7's are a dud.)
  • Diabolic Ritual: Single Use: You may recover all of your health if you are a revealed Shadow. (You may reveal to gain this effect.)
  • Spiritual Doll: Single Use: Choose another player and roll the 6 sided die. On a 1 to 4, they take 3 damage. On a 5 or 6, you take 3 damage.
  • Banana Peel: Single Use: Give an Equipment card to another player, or take 1 damage if you have no equipment.
  • Rusted Broad Axe/Chainsaw/Butcher Knife: Equipment: Increase the damage of your successful attacks by 1. One of each of these in the deck.
  • Cursed Sword Masamune: Equipment: When attacking another player, you only roll the 4 sided die, guaranteeing a hit. You must attack each turn.
  • Handgun: Equipment: All ranges except your own become your attack range. This prevents you from attacking characters in your own range.
  • Machine Gun: Equipment: When you attack, you target all characters in your range rather than one of your choice. Use the same roll for all characters.
Old 03-13-2018, 08:57 PM
Phantastic Oil

My role PM just says "the winning team". Must be some kind of mistake...

(I have no idea what rules/expectations there are with regards to table-talk in this game, but just let me know if I should shut up. I'm not very good at that, but I'll try! >_<)
Old 03-13-2018, 09:00 PM
I'm gonna wreck it

Black cards are the fun cards. That's a lie. They are all fun cards. But we'll start with gaining one Black Card.
Old 03-13-2018, 09:01 PM
I have a Plan

Table talk rules:

You can say anything, provided you make it public here. Nobody is under any obligation to believe you.
Old 03-13-2018, 09:07 PM
I have a Plan

Well that's an underwhelming start. Nothing to steal, so the Moody Goblin is a bit of a waste. So it goes! If there was anyone in your range (Cemetery or Hermit's Cabin) you could attack them, but there isn't.

Mogri's roll is 9, which brings them to the Weird Woods. They can either damage someone for 2, or heal someone for 1, here. You may target yourself with this effect, if you want to yell really loudly to everyone "I AM THE GUY TRYING TO GET KILLED FIRST".
Old 03-13-2018, 09:09 PM
Phantastic Oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalir View Post
You may target yourself with this effect, if you want to yell really loudly to everyone "I AM THE GUY TRYING TO GET KILLED FIRST".
Or if you want to bluff that in hopes of convincing people to lay off...
Old 03-13-2018, 09:21 PM
Yes, let's feast!

Let's put some holes in JBear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBear View Post
My role PM just says "the winning team". Must be some kind of mistake...
I'll say!
Old 03-13-2018, 09:27 PM
I have a Plan

Harsh. What's more, JBear's move was a 2, putting them at the Hermit's Cabin where they can't punch Mogri for that one at all!

However, you DO get a Hermit card if you are so inclined, and you can give this to any player. Generally speaking, it's a decent idea to give it either to players near you (so you can punch them if you dislike the result) or to players who you REALLY want to figure out what the hell they're doing and why.

Well? Want to learn a thing?
Old 03-13-2018, 09:31 PM
earthquake ace

Might want to post the list of Hermit cards like you did Black cards.
Old 03-13-2018, 09:44 PM
I have a Plan

Good call! I won't be screenshotting them for everyone because the artwork is all the same, and in many cases the function is the same but with different qualifiers for allegiance. But here we go!

HERMIT CARDS
  • Hermit's Slap: I bet you're a Hunter! If so, receive 1 damage! There are two copies of this in the deck.
  • Hermit's Spell: I bet you're a Shadow! If so, receive 1 damage!
  • Hermit's Exorcism: I bet you're a Shadow! If so, receive 2 damage!
  • Hermit's Aid: I bet you're a Hunter! If so, heal 1 damage, or take 1 damage if you are at full health!
  • Hermit's Huddle: I bet you're a Shadow! If so, heal 1 damage, or take 1 damage if you are at full health!
  • Hermit's Nurturance: I bet you're a Neutral! If so, heal 1 damage, or take 1 damage if you are at full health!
  • Hermit's Bully: I bet you have 11 or less health (name starts with A, B, C, E, or U)! If so, take 1 damage!
  • Hermit's Tough Lesson of Love: I bet you have 12 or more health (name starts with D, F, G, V, or W)! If so, take 2 damage!
  • Hermit's Blackmail: I bet you're a Neutral or Hunter! If so, either give the current player an Equipment card or take 1 damage! There are two copies of this in the deck.
  • Hermit's Greed: I bet you're a Neutral or Shadow! If so, either give the current player an Equipment card or take 1 damage! There are two copies of this in the deck.
  • Hermit's Anger: I bet you're a Shadow or Hunter! If so, either give the current player an Equipment card or take 1 damage! There are two copies of this in the deck.
  • Hermit's Prediction: You must show your character card to the current player! (This means it even works on the Unknown!)
Old 03-13-2018, 09:54 PM
Phantastic Oil

OW! MY HOLES.

Sure, let's see what wisdom this crazy old man that lives by himself can offer!
Old 03-13-2018, 10:03 PM
I have a Plan

Okay, sending you the Hermit card now. Don't resolve the effects yourself! Instead, say here who gets it, and then they'll have to confirm the effects of the card for you.
Old 03-13-2018, 10:06 PM
Phantastic Oil

Oh! So the table doesn't know what card I drew?
Old 03-13-2018, 10:06 PM
I have a Plan

Only you and the person you choose to pass it to know what the card is.
Old 03-13-2018, 10:07 PM
earthquake ace

No, no one sees the card except the person who draws it and the person who resolves it.

EDIT: Ninja'd!
Old 03-13-2018, 10:16 PM
Phantastic Oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalir View Post
say here who gets it
I am a good reader, who is good at reading things.

I send the creepy, lonely old man to go spy on Mogri in the weird woods. I'm sure he'll feel right at home.
Old 03-14-2018, 06:31 AM
Yes, let's feast!

Ouch! What do you do?
Old 03-14-2018, 07:37 AM
Phantastic Oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogri View Post
Ouch! What do you do?
So, to be clear, is that "ouch" just colour, or a thing? My understanding is that the precise results of anything that may have happened to you should be public information, but not the why? Presumably Kalir can make it known publicly with his next post if I'm correct.

Anyway, as for what I do next, in the absence of any better information, I am going to choose to take game's title literally, and jenkitchen looks to have a shadow, so let me see if I can punch it out of her!

I'm assuming that Kalir will be handling all of the dice-rolling?

Tags
anime mafia , castlevania , glory to asgard , shadow hunters