The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about other things > Talking about food

Notices

Old 12-12-2017, 09:27 AM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Pronouns: they/they
Default Don't Go to Taco Bell

I did last night because I was tired and didnt want to cook.

I paid for my crimes all night and into this morning.

Learn from me my friends! And live better lives than I have.
Old 12-12-2017, 09:33 AM
does the Underpants Dance

Pronouns: he/him

Eh, their crunchy tacos are fine.
Old 12-12-2017, 09:38 AM
クソゲーが好な人

Pronouns: He/Him

Do go to Taco Bell, but don't get ground beef. I have lived by this mantra every single time I've ordered food from the bell and it has never failed me.

It's probably my favorite fast food.
Old 12-12-2017, 09:43 AM
Find Your Reason

"Snake! Chose life... and Live Mas!"
Old 12-12-2017, 09:45 AM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Pronouns: they/they

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zef View Post
"Snake! Chose life... and Live Mas!"
For some reason we had an office joke where we mixed up the slogans for Taco Bell and Subway so that they were Live Fresh and Eat Mas.
Old 12-12-2017, 10:01 AM
Chuck 'im into the soup!

Live Fresh and Eat Mas
2 Fresh 2 Mas
Fresh & Mas
Fresh 5
Fresh & Mas 6
Live Fresh and Eat Mas: Tokyo Joe's
Old 12-12-2017, 10:45 AM
Gotta Boogie!

I like Taco Bell. Somehow it doesn't really mess with me. Probably because I used to live five blocks away from one and built up an immunity.

Panda Express though, hoo boy!
Old 12-12-2017, 11:02 AM
Phantastic Oil

I hadn't even seen a Taco Bell in my life until a few years ago. They're pretty uncommon up here. I had it exactly once. It was wholly unremarkable.
Old 12-12-2017, 12:47 PM
REVOLUTION GRRR STYLE NOW

Pronouns: he/him/his

I've never had gastrointestinal distress from Taco Bell. My mutant power, revealed after all these years!

and yes, getting stuff with chicken is the way to go at TB, it's much better than the ground beef which is augmented with soy.

It's not good Tex-Mex but it's tasty garbage fast food if you have it occasionally (source: me eating at TB 3-4 times a year)
Old 12-12-2017, 01:42 PM
Find Your Reason

I've only gone to Taco Bell once, fifteen years ago, while in Los Angeles. I went there just to say I did, and its worst sin was that it was very bland Tex Mex. The (also full-blooded Mexican) friend driving me to the airport, though, guilt-tripped me into sharing some with him, and he was sick for a solid week. He nearly missed his own flight back home because of it.
Old 12-14-2017, 09:55 PM
Gotta Boogie!

The cheesy gordita crunch is a taste and texture delight, by the way.
Old 12-15-2017, 07:10 AM
That bug is NUTS!

Pronouns: he/him

I have never understood how Taco Bell could make someone sick for multiple days at a time? It's kind of greasy and I'm sure there's preservatives but it doesn't seem at all out of line with any other fast food.

I suppose there's the possibility their cleanliness standards are lower than other restaurants but most Taco Bells I visit generally present as more controlled environments than say, Wendy's or Arby's.
Old 12-15-2017, 07:56 AM
クソゲーが好な人

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThornGhost View Post
I have never understood how Taco Bell could make someone sick for multiple days at a time? It's kind of greasy and I'm sure there's preservatives but it doesn't seem at all out of line with any other fast food.

I suppose there's the possibility their cleanliness standards are lower than other restaurants but most Taco Bells I visit generally present as more controlled environments than say, Wendy's or Arby's.
What makes me feel truly awful in the way that Taco Bell is supposed to, are Little Caesar's hot 'n ready pizzas. Same with the basic crust from Pizza Hut (but the hand-tossed and thin crusts are fine). It's the oil. It's enough to kill you, probably.
Old 12-15-2017, 10:01 AM
Phantastic Oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dracula View Post
What makes me feel truly awful in the way that Taco Bell is supposed to, are Little Caesar's hot 'n ready pizzas. Same with the basic crust from Pizza Hut (but the hand-tossed and thin crusts are fine). It's the oil. It's enough to kill you, probably.
The local pizza chain around here (Greco) looks at the amount of oil on that stuff and laughs.
Old 12-16-2017, 07:27 AM
Outraged!

Quote:

I think Fast Food Nation made the argument that Taco Bell was probably the safest of all the fast food places because they don’t really cook anything in house. It’s all frozen stuff reheated in a microwave.
Old 12-18-2017, 07:18 AM

I've never experienced the 'Taco Bell shits' that most people claim. But I also kinda go out of my way to avoid most of the worst items on the menu. I mostly jump for their crunchy tacos, 3 layer nachos, cinnamon twists, or similar items.

Also, in a failure of a vote that foreshadowed the incompetence and illiteracy of the American electorate, Taco Bell is still the only place I can get Baja Blast Mountain Dew, which is a top 3 carbonated beverage.
Old 12-18-2017, 07:37 PM
jiggery-pokery

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpfriction View Post
I think Fast Food Nation made the argument that Taco Bell was probably the safest of all the fast food places because they don’t really cook anything in house. It’s all frozen stuff reheated in a microwave.
I worked at a Taco Bell for 6 months, nearly two decades ago. Here's how we made all the food!

Almost everything was either refrigerated or frozen. We got the vegetables and cheese from containers or bags that were in the walk-in fridge, and these would be transferred into chilled metal trays on the taco assembly line. Shells and tortillas and gorditas and whatnot came prepackaged. Open the box/bag, put them into special warming trays above the assembly line. Sour cream and guac came in containers that fit into a device not unlike a caulk gun, also refrigerated.

All of the meat would come frozen in plastic bags, and we would basically cook it sous vide, by placing the bags in a rack and plunging the rack into a machine that contained super-hot water. After about 30 minutes or so, the timer would go off, and the meat would be done. It would then be transferred to heated trays on the assembly line. Nacho cheese would be made the same way, but then transferred to a tray that had a pump on top of it.

Refried beans and red sauce were both made by mixing what was basically dried powder with boiling hot water. I burned my hand with the hot water once, it really sucked.

Everything was then assembled after the order was made. If everything is done correctly, it seemed like a pretty safe way to prepare food. BUT, there is a lot of assembling things with your hands. If people aren't washing and sanitizing their hands, or not using plastic glove-like things, that could get bad quickly.

I still eat there every now and then, and about 1 in 6 times it won't agree with me later. But that is probably less of a food safety issue, and more about getting older and not being able to put garbage in my body without consequences.
Old 12-18-2017, 10:10 PM
BAG

Can I go to Del Taco?
Old 12-18-2017, 10:59 PM
coral reefer madness

Pronouns: they're more hobbyist nouns tbh

Only if they still have the free shavacadoo
Old 12-19-2017, 07:31 PM

Pronouns: he

Quote:

I have a friend who inspected restaurants! He would tell me that Taco Bell was typically clean!
Old 12-20-2017, 07:45 AM
God, THIS guy again...

Old 12-29-2017, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chady View Post
I worked at a Taco Bell for 6 months, nearly two decades ago. Here's how we made all the food!
Can confirm this. Nachos came in a giant card board box, and were pretty much a floppy taco in comparison. Meat as of 2 years ago, was still the same process. The only difference being when I was around they had a Dot system. Green was good till noon etc. except to pass food inspections and save money they would change the time to another dot because it’d save money.
Old 01-25-2018, 04:42 PM
Butternut Squash

So we have TB in the UK now, not many branches but weirdly the little town I live in has one. It's ok. It's literally the standard of taco I can make at home with an Old El Paso kit. There's absolutely nothing exclusive about this food so I don't really get the appeal. My American friend also said our "hot" sauce in TB is embarrassingly mild, and though I had no frame of reference I agree. The regular "hot sauce" was just sauce.

I'm told this is your equivalent to our kebab though, in that it's your go-to drunk food? I kinda see why, I guess.
Old 01-25-2018, 04:46 PM
この世の最も無智なる者

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooMoo View Post
My American friend also said our "hot" sauce in TB is embarrassingly mild, and though I had no frame of reference I agree.
I mean, this is also true for American Taco Bell. The full range of spiciness goes from "Not Spicy" to "Nope, Still Not Spicy," so you're not missing out on some core flavor component. It's just kind of bland.
Old 01-25-2018, 05:52 PM
Space Prez

Quote:
There's absolutely nothing exclusive about this food so I don't really get the appeal.
It's salty and cheap and if you drive up the side of the building and give them money, you don't even need to leave your car!

I typically go for spicy sauces, but I think the TB mild is the best tasting.
Old 01-25-2018, 06:16 PM

I liked their green sauce the most, but the tacobell near me decided they weren't going to give those as packets anymore and
Old 01-25-2018, 08:37 PM
Toothsome!

Pronouns: She/Her

Quote:
So we have TB in the UK now
My brain went there
Old 01-25-2018, 10:22 PM
Space dad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost from Spelunker View Post
Can I go to Del Taco?
Absolutely.
Old 01-26-2018, 08:16 AM
Are You Sure About That?

Pronouns: He/Him/His

My local Del Taco has the strange habit of giving me Inferno sauce packets 50% of the time when I ask for mild.
Old 01-26-2018, 08:37 AM
Find Your Reason

I am now ridiculously curious about both British Taco Bell and if there's a British equivalent of Tex-Mex food and what it tastes like.

Brit-Mex?

Even worse, I want to hear "salsa" and "chalupa" and "quesadilla" in a British accent.

Tags
worse than falsedog