The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Notices

Old 06-16-2018, 11:19 PM
Nothing is more powerful

Pronouns: singular they 4 lyfe

I griped about spoiling myself on Danganronpa 2, so I was pleasantly surprised when the game addressed the issue directly and managed to deflate my frustration. Some of the endgame reveals actually make earlier awkward segments seem surprisingly well-written, like Monokuma's fourth-wall-breaking monologues having sound reasons once you know who's controlling him and who they're really speaking to. On the other hand much of the writing is still atrociously convoluted and arbitrary, so. Is it just me or was the "repeat" option summarily ignored by every single participant in the final trial, with no one ever bothering to explain what it would do? Despite the other options getting detailed, illustrated guides. I kept expecting it to be a way to save everyone on effectively a New Game+, but nope.
Old 06-17-2018, 07:19 AM
Mistress Greywolfe

Pronouns: He, Him

Resident Evil 7 is finished! It's quite great, but man, I barely stand to play that game for long periods of time. Stressful as hell. Reminded me of Alien: Isolation in that sense.
Old 06-17-2018, 12:29 PM
Come, noble knights!

Pronouns: He/Him/His

Finished a commentary run of Gone Home yesterday. Learned a lot about the game, in particular this:

https://i.imgur.com/nE0YWIJ.jpg
Good ol' Christmas Duck has a nest upstairs.

I still frickin' love this game.
Old 06-17-2018, 01:24 PM

Pronouns: he

How does Gone Home compare on a TV to a computer monitor? I got thoroughly immersed when I played it on PC to the point that I got quite spooked at the spook points.
Old 06-17-2018, 01:51 PM
Come, noble knights!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
How does Gone Home compare on a TV to a computer monitor? I got thoroughly immersed when I played it on PC to the point that I got quite spooked at the spook points.
I can't really compare 'cuz I don't have a computer, but it looks good? Like, the textures are crisp and the game runs at a full 60 frames on PS4.
Old 06-18-2018, 09:08 PM
Half-Ninja

Finally beaten Castlevania for the first time! Lots of continues though
Old 06-18-2018, 09:51 PM
Vigilante All-Star

7th Dragon III Code:VFD is beaten...ON TO THE POST-GAME AND DLC!
Old 06-18-2018, 10:58 PM
Are You Sure About That?

Good luck! The post game dungeon is basically a stack of old dungeon floors with remixed enemies (hey, you like Dragons as basic enemies, right?) and even-more-uptuned boss refights.
Old 06-19-2018, 07:28 AM
クソゲーが好な人

Pronouns: He/Him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Sensible View Post
Finished off the Nintendo Gallery in the GC version of Wind Waker today. Yes, even Knuckle.
Man, I always wanted to do this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogue View Post
Finally beaten Castlevania for the first time! Lots of continues though
Great work! It's got one of my favorite difficulty rhythms of any NES game. It was stressful to do it once, but repeated playthroughs get easier and more rewarding.

Did you use the holy water trick on Death? I absolutely had to do so on my first couple of clears.
Old 06-19-2018, 08:17 AM
Half-Ninja

Yeah, I did. It took awhile for me to get to Death with Holy Water so I did try a bunch without it. I also got super close to beating Dracula with no sub weapons (he was 2 hits away) but since I couldnít predict his High Jumps I lost and used Holy Water there too.
Old 06-19-2018, 01:47 PM
Vigilante All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyblue View Post
Good luck! The post game dungeon is basically a stack of old dungeon floors with remixed enemies (hey, you like Dragons as basic enemies, right?) and even-more-uptuned boss refights.
Yeah, I appreciate the challenge it's bringing to the table.
Old 06-20-2018, 04:27 PM
graffiti programmer

On Monday, my wife and I finished Detroit: Become Human. I searched and it seems like there's been zero discussion since its release here, perhaps in part because everybody was cringing at the ham-handed storytelling, and because David Cage is a bad writer and worse person.

Well, I tell you with no pride that we enjoyed the game.

Critics aren't wrong about the bluntness - there is a ton of the Garth Marenghi "subtext is for cowards" school of storytelling. There is literally a part where an android is abused by a human as the phrase "THIS ISN'T FAIR" appears on screen. I confess that I did have a laugh at some of the especially embarrassing moments.

But! Some of the characterizations and relationships are better than the plot's heavy-handedness would lead you to expect. The game genuinely looks stunning. The choices you make in each chapter seem to have real impact. And the plot is at least making a good-faith effort at a message. That might seem like damning with faint praise, but consider the medium. I can count the number of games I've played in the past 5 years with good endings on one hand. The storytelling here can't touch NieR: Automata or Undertale, but not much can.

If pressed I'd say it makes me think of a Telltale game with a AAA budget, and the end result is at the level of "did you ever think about that, maaan" that I'd say Westworld or Mr. Robot occupy in television. Verdict: 3.5/5 - it's better than the ubiquitous dunking led me to believe, and a worthwhile gaming experience, but if you'd rather not support Quantic Dream I would not hold it against you.
Old 06-22-2018, 02:48 PM
Love is OGR

Pronouns: They/Them, She/Her

Kirby: Triple Deluxe does everything well. Astounding art direction and musical chops, tremendous depth in experimenting with and executing its shockingly numerous play mechanics, an unparalleled eye for detail, exemplary use of the 3DS's 3D and gyro functions to augment the level design and presentation, a fluid and naturalistic level of difficulty depending on how many secrets you care to go after and search for, imaginative and engaging boss battles, beautiful bugs, and just an overwhelming sensation that every possible aspect of the whole was carefully considered and crafted.

The same attentiveness extends to the remix of the game in Dededetour, which transforms the previously lackadaisical poke-around-and-explore context of the stages into a mad dash time attack, with a higher risk-and-reward emphasis thanks to Dedede's heightened power and also his comparative frailty compared to Kirby. The DX versions of bosses introduced in that mode also make the True Arena a fitting coda to the game--it's when you truly have to learn their patterns and interact with the design in a more involved way, and that one last surprise at the end makes an incredibly compelling concluding argument for the approach.
Old 06-25-2018, 05:44 AM
Mr. Jackpots

Pronouns: he/him

As far as budget Platinum games go, Transformers: Devastation is pretty good.
Old 06-25-2018, 06:52 AM
Mystery Contraption

Pronouns: He

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline View Post
It's like Bayonetta if, instead of a sexy librarian, you were a truck.
Old 06-25-2018, 08:19 AM
Mr. Jackpots

That's fairly accurate
Old 06-25-2018, 09:09 AM
Are You Sure About That?

Finished up Super Robot Wars V yesterday, on to X now...

It was okay, if really easy and it never really gelled at the end, and I could never really get past the main original character designs (though the OG callback characters were fun). Getting to use the Laevateinn in a videogame was pretty neat, even if it and every other unit in the game were wildly overshadowed by the usual Dynamic Pro cheese. I hear they made Mazinger ZERO a secret unit in X this time that you only get in the secret ending route instead of a regular upgrade halfway through the game. Which is good! I shouldn't be able to oneshot things outside a few bosses like that.
Old 06-25-2018, 09:57 AM
クソゲーが好な人

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline View Post
It may surprise you to learn that I still haven't played this title. It surprises me.

By the way, they're in a different genre, but if you're looking for more quality Transformers video game content, both War For Cybertron and Fall of Cybertron are probably some of the best underrated shooters out there. I'd stack 'em up against lots of other games that I don't have vested interest in.
Old 06-25-2018, 10:03 AM
Mystery Contraption

Itís disappointing that War wasnít playable on modern consoles; I felt that was the stronger of the two.

Nothing wrong with Fall, of course, I just enjoyed War more.
Old 06-25-2018, 10:04 AM
Mr. Jackpots

Transformers was before my time, I just played Devastation because it was Platinum.
Old 06-25-2018, 10:07 AM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Pronouns: they/they

Jurassic World Evolution is done. Really feels like a game that doesn't know what it wants to be and so fails at being anything well. Needs to lean into the mayhem, the dino breeding/battling, or the park building but it can't do all three well.
Old 06-25-2018, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dracula View Post
It may surprise you to learn that I still haven't played this title. It surprises me.

By the way, they're in a different genre, but if you're looking for more quality Transformers video game content, both War For Cybertron and Fall of Cybertron are probably some of the best underrated shooters out there. I'd stack 'em up against lots of other games that I don't have vested interest in.
Yes, both War and Fall are really, really fun. I like the former a bit better overall.
Old 06-25-2018, 09:58 PM
Come, noble knights!

Unfortunately those Transformers games are no longer on digital storefronts, since ActiVision no longer has the rights.
Old 06-26-2018, 07:34 AM
Mystery Contraption

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falselogic View Post
Jurassic World Evolution is done. Really feels like a game that doesn't know what it wants to be and so fails at being anything well. Needs to lean into the mayhem, the dino breeding/battling, or the park building but it can't do all three well.
Wait, Iím sorry...

Thereís a video game about managing Jurassic Park...

That you can win?!?
Old 06-26-2018, 09:16 AM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Pronouns: they/they

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
Wait, Iím sorry...

Thereís a video game about managing Jurassic Park...

That you can win?!?
Quite easily it turns out.
Old 06-26-2018, 09:37 AM
Mystery Contraption

i Believe thereís been a fundamental misunderstanding regarding the series!
Old 06-26-2018, 09:40 AM
Funko Superfan

All Jurassic Park needed to succeed was a silicon valley tech bro CEO to disrupt the system.
Old 06-26-2018, 10:06 AM
Come, noble knights!

Speaking of Jurassic Park, the more I think about it the more I'm disappointed that Capcom hasn't taken the existence of the Jurassic World series as an opportunity to revive or reboot Dino Crisis.
Old 06-26-2018, 10:37 AM
Mystery Contraption

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki View Post
All Jurassic Park needed to succeed was a silicon valley tech bro CEO to disrupt the system.
That is the exact opposite of what it needed to succeed!
Old 06-27-2018, 10:47 PM
Come, noble knights!

Recently beat The Oregon Trail via a plastic brick I bought today. Well, yesterday by EST, but whatevs.

Started with a Banker run then did a Farmer run; both were successful, though I did lose some people in the final river crossing mini game. On the one hand, it really shows just how huge of an improvement homage game Organ Trail* is (also the D-pad could be less horrible), but on the other hand, how awesome is it that there's a dedicated handheld device for an old PC simulation game?

I'll probably try a Carpenter run next, maybe see if I can beat my high score or intentionally try to fuck up.

* Organ Trail is The Oregon Trail if it was a post-apocalyptic zombie game. Generally I'm not into zombie games unless they're made by Capcom, but I love that this is a real thing.

Tags
a winner is you , backloggery , beat it , completed games , congraturation , fear of new threads , go and rest our heroes , hoooooraaayyy for you! , i've wasted my life , true end , victory cry , whittling the backlog , you feel strongth welling , you got the touch , you're the best around , you're winner