The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about meatspace games

Old 06-21-2018, 09:19 PM
Alliance Alive

Pronouns: he / his

#25 Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3D (3DS, NA, 2015, Nintendo)
Created by Yusuke Nakano
Votes: 3 for 64 points
Highest: Doctor Nerd (#10)

We return to the realms of the Legend of Zelda for a second look into its amazing artwork, this time for the 3DS remake of Majora's Mask, which cuts right to the bone of why this game is so memorable. This is atmospheric above and beyond the call, with many of the game's impressive characters and story beats elegantly captured in this colorful yet dark illustration. Simply put, this is one of the best boxes in a series renowned for great boxes.

Nakano also make a second appearance, following up on his earlier Link Between Worlds rendition. He certainly knows how to illustrate this series.

Here's a larger version:

Old 06-21-2018, 09:26 PM
King Of Space-Time

This was such an improvement over the original N64 box, I had to vote for it.
Old 06-21-2018, 09:32 PM
Mega Man 4 Superfan

Urrrgghh that makes me want to replay MM but I still haven't played LBW and more than a few hours of BotW.
Old 06-21-2018, 10:18 PM
King Of Space-Time

Take a deep breath, close your eyes and think... Which game calls to you?
Old 06-21-2018, 10:36 PM
????? LV 13 HP 292/

Pronouns: he, him, his

Man that is one intense / sinister looking Link there. (If I was feeling more charitable at the moment I would say he has a look of grim determination.)
Old 06-21-2018, 10:59 PM
not actually a snake

Pronouns: they're more hobbyist nouns tbh

You all make fun of my Jolly Roger Bay obsession but between that, the Jabu-Jabu vore dungeon, and the eel tunnel (or, perhaps to be generous, snapping turtle tunnel?) from this game -- someone at Nintendo was fixated, I tells ya
Old 06-22-2018, 02:51 PM

I respect Majora's Mask's moxie. I really do. But it's one of those games that I like in theory, and in practice makes me want to kill myself. I wish the game itself was as fun as this cover.
Old 06-22-2018, 03:35 PM
JUSTICE FOR MIKE JONES

Quote:
Originally Posted by WisteriaHysteria View Post
I respect Majora's Mask's moxie. I really do. But it's one of those games that I like in theory, and in practice makes me want to kill myself. I wish the game itself was as fun as this cover.
This.

That's a beautiful cover for one of the most meh-ist of meh games.
Old 06-22-2018, 03:43 PM
Holy Swine

Shall we argue FF9 while we're at it?

This is one of my favorite covers of the whole list so far. Beautiful and descriptive in one package.
Old 06-22-2018, 09:47 PM
Penalty Box

Pronouns: DUDE/BRO

So I was TRYING to write my other boxes post, but then I was like eh it's late fuck it I'll do it later.
Old 06-23-2018, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerad View Post
Shall we argue FF9 while we're at it?

This is one of my favorite covers of the whole list so far. Beautiful and descriptive in one package.
Hey, it's a pretty good anime-cover for a video game. But judging game covers is a pretty subjective, inherently illogical task, and a lot of the time I can't really separate my feelings for games from my ability to look at its artwork objectively. Like, this cover looks wonderful, and yet I can't help but see all of the frustrations and annoyances I had with this game while looking at it. That moon and that skull-kid and those stupid masks look like they're mocking me with their smug aura.
Old 06-23-2018, 12:26 PM
Love is OGR

Pronouns: They/Them, She/Her

Even if those are factors which inform your feelings and personal picks, using them as a segue to relitigate grievances with a particular game is not at all what this thread is supposed to be about, in tone or subject. Games are discussed every day on this forum; their box art not so much. This thread's a chance to shift the focus on that for a time, and not just use the covers as a jumping-off point to talk about their representative games.
Old 06-23-2018, 12:37 PM
King Of Space-Time

Oh if opinions about the actual games influenced me, my list would look a LOT different.
Old 06-23-2018, 03:09 PM
Alliance Alive

#24 Hotline Miami Collected Edition (PS4, Japan, 2015, Spike Chunsoft)
Created by b0neface
Votes: 2 for 68 points
Highest: BEAT and Ample Vigour (#2)

The 80s aesthetic and hyper violent world of Hotline Miami are colorfully brought to life for the Japanese exclusive release of both titles in the series. And it captures the vibe of the gameplay excellently, with lots of little details that really push the concept to the upper tier. Just a great illustration.

b0neface is a UK artist who hasn't done a ton of video game work, but their gallery shows that they do a lot of gritty commissions like Mad Max: Fury Road. I like it.

Here's a larger non-PS4 version:

Last edited by WildcatJF; 06-23-2018 at 03:52 PM.
Old 06-23-2018, 03:47 PM
Mega Man 4 Superfan

I did actually reach out to AV and BEAT to make sure this was the one they were voting for, so it should be all good. Great cover, really distills the games' aesthetic well.
Old 06-23-2018, 03:52 PM
Alliance Alive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Issun View Post
I did actually reach out to AV and BEAT to make sure this was the one they were voting for, so it should be all good. Great cover, really distills the games' aesthetic well.
Sweet, then never mind then. Business per usual
Old 06-23-2018, 04:11 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Pronouns: they/they

Damn that is some nice, violent art.
Old 06-24-2018, 03:10 PM
Penalty Box

LET'S LOOK AT
THE OTHER BOXES
FOR THE 2ND BEST ZELDA
#25 - THE LEGEND OF ZELDA: MAJORA'S MASK

3DS - KOREA

So the 3DS cover is basically the exact same in all regions. So here's the Korean box. It's got some cool Korean lettering at the bottom. That's all I got.

RANKING: ALRITE

3DS SYSTEM BUNDLE

That's a pretty nice print I guess, and you can see some of the neat art that got sorta kinda rearranged for the box itself. Okay cool.

RANKING: COOL.

3DS SYSTEM BUNDLE - NORTH AMERICA.

Wow they took out the cool art and made it horizontal wow.

RANKING: GROSS

3DS - EUROPE - SPECIAL EDITION

I'm looking at a large promotional picture of all the crap inside this box of bullshit right now and I still couldn't tell you what the fuck is actually inside this black obelisk. You got like, a pin, and is that fucking mousepad? Who the fuck even uses mousepads anymore? As I guess there's a big metal tin box for you to put your normal 3DS box inside? Fuck this lootcrate crap.

RANKING: F-

3DS - NORTH AMERICA - SPECIAL EDITION

You know, I was a skull kid once. Not anymore. Now I'm a skull MAN.

Also full version of the art on on this box is pretty dope, and I like the little window that shows you the statue, which is also pretty dope.

RANKING: BETTER THAN A FUNKO POP

GAMECUBE - NORTH AMERICA

Figured I'd mix things up with the SPECIAL LIMITED EDITION version, by showcasing the Canadian box. It's got French on it because Canada.

So fun fact, I actually sold my Gamecube at gamestop, and then walked over to best buy on the other side of the target center and bought a new Gamecube, just to get this disk. Lost about 40 bucks on that transaction, but got the ability to play the BEST currently existing Zelda on my Gamecube!

RANKING: WORTH IT.

IQUE PLAYER - CHINA - UNRELEASED

Apologies for the MEGA PIXELY image, but it was literally the largest version of this gem I could find in all of online. Majora's Mask was slated for release on the Ique player, but never actually made it onto the system.

I'm PRETTY SURE the art used in this proposed cover was a piece of stock art that got used for other things. I wanna say the Original Soundtrack? Maybe? Something like that for sure.

RANKING: EXTREMELY HIGH-RES.

NINTENDO 64 - NORTH AMERICA

Finally, the box most of us are actually familiar with! It's a VERY basic box, but I like how it manages to work with what little it has to come across as ominous and creepy. The way all the colors emanate away from the mask gives the idea of falling into the mask itself.

RANKING: C+

NINTENDO 64 - JAPAN

This one's arguably a lot BETTER than the North American N64 but, I can't help but like it a lot less. I mean, yeah, the gradiant colored art int he background of all the cool stuff in this game is cool when you actually notice it, but it's too hard to see on it's own and too difficult to appreciate because of it. I would have preferred that the box just used a colored version of that, and did away with the paste job of Link and his hoss entirely.

RANKING: C-

NINTENDO 64 - JAPAN - EXPANSION PACK BUNDLE

I think this is a much better execution of what the non-bundle box was trying to do. It's much easier to see all the cool details in the background, and because most of them are just the clock town's weird geometry, you don't feel as though you're actually missing out on them because of the pasted-on Link. A marked improvement.

RANKING: B

NINTENDO 64 - PAL REGIONS

This is just some bullshit tho.

RANKING: F

NINTENDO 64 - PAL REGIONS - LIMITED EDITION

TOP COVER

OPENED

GEE I WONDER WHAT TIME IT IS LET ME JUST CHECK MY WATCH... OH MY GOODNESS IT SAYS I HAVE ONLY 72 HOURS TO SAVE THE WORLD!

RANKING: F-

Last edited by BEAT; 07-26-2018 at 06:40 AM.
Old 06-24-2018, 04:57 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Issun View Post
This fits the actual game much better than the more popular poster and trailer do

This is Jacket as a maniac who kills for the pleasure of it, where the others portray him as some kind of heroic protector
Old 06-24-2018, 09:50 PM
Penalty Box

I got a LOT to say about the various Hotline Miami "Boxes" but it's late and I'm tired so it goes up tomorrow.
Old 06-24-2018, 09:56 PM
of the Black Falcons

Pronouns: he, him

Damn, Hotline Miami has a nice box. I played it on Vita and never saw any boxart, but that fits the game well.
Old 06-25-2018, 07:49 PM
Penalty Box

LET'S LOOK AT
THE OTHER BOXES
FLORIDA MAN FUCKING MURDERS EVERYBODY
#24.A - HOTLINE MIAMI

DIGITAL LOGO

These skulls speak to me. They say HEY BEAT THIS GAME FUCKING RULES! They are totally right & correct.

RANKING: A+

WEBSITE HEADER.

Admittedly including this one is a bit of a stretch and Beard looks kinda-not-right. But I gotta include it because when you look at the background, you realize that the purple THING behind Beard and Richard* is a mushroom cloud enveloping a city, something that will be important later.

*Not Jacket, Richard. We'll get to Jacket.

RANKING: B-

THE "BOX" - CONTENT WARNING: GORE
There's a lot to like about this image! I like the spectral visions of Don Juan, Richard and Rasmus looking down upon Jacket from on high. I also dig that they snuck biker into the background, but instead of attacking Jacket with the rest of the mobsters, he's just reading a dirty magazine creatively titled "BOOBS". That said, this is probably my least favorite piece of Hotline Series art.

Part of it's just the art style. The way the mobsters are drawn just looks kinda OFF to me. This is made even worse by the man who's been reduced to a pile of organs at Jacket's feet. It crosses the line from "upsetting brutality" to "cartoonish gorn". I totally appreciate that it's supposed to be unpleasant to look at, but it doesn't stick the landing for me.

The other part of it the portrayal of Jacket himself. I refer to Ample Vigour's earlier comment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ample Vigour View Post
[The collection cover art] is Jacket as a maniac who kills for the pleasure of it, where [this cover] portrays him as some kind of heroic protector.
I actually conferred with AV over discord to nerd out over this game and make sure I was representing him properly in this post. We both agreed that the while Jacket is too nuts to understand why he kills, the brutal way he goes about is a pretty good indicator that he likes it. The collection cover's jacket is a fantastic example of that aspect's of jacket's muted, deranged persona, showing that's what's underneath the mask is even more disgusting than the disguise.

So given that jacket is literally the worst human in existence, why does this cover (and the game's launch trailer for that matter) portray him as someone who wishes to "save" a girl from a horde of enemies? The game does indeed have a scene where jacket takes home an unconscious women, but it wasn't a case of him trying to valiantly protect someone from people who wished to do her harm. He simply found her unconscious body AFTER he murdered everybody in the area, and just picked up her up and took her home because why not. It was much more of a kidnapping than a rescue, and I imagine that if he'd ran into any more mobsters after grabbing her he would've prioritized doing more murders over her safety.

A game box doesn't necessarily HAVE to represent an event from the game itself, but the character portrayed on this box trying to defend an innocent woman from those who would do her harm simply does not exist.

#24.B - HOTLINE MIAMI 2: WRONG NUMBER

SPECIAL EDITION BIG BOX.

FRONT

BACK

I actually had the pleasure of seeing one of these in person at PAX East a few years back. It's huge and bulky, and the circle with 3 lines through it is only recognizable if you're already familiar with the game.

Granted you probably wouldn't buy the MAD EXPENSIVE Physical copy of this game if you didn't already like it but IT'S THE PRINCIPLE OF THE MATTER DAMMIT.

RANKING: F

VINYL SOUNDTRACK CASE

Oh my god that is so fucking dope.

RANKING: SO FUCKING DOPE!

THE "BOX"

I fucking love this one.

I love the helpless look on Beard's face as he stares into oblivion, how it nails the series's overarching theme of futility. I love the fact that If you look closely in the flames of the background, you can make out the faces of many of the game's other characters, most notably the masks of The Fans ccross the top. It's such a cool detail that's so cleverly hidden!

And I love love LOVE the fact that when you play the game itself, you realize that the cover secretly spoils the entire fucking game. It's not just an abstract image of the most familiar character from the first game surrounded by cool fire. It's an artistic representation of the most shocking scene in the entire series: Beard's death during the atomic bombing of San Francisco. Once you've seen that part in the game you look back at this and go "Holy shit it was staring me in the face the whole fucking time." It gives the scene so much more weight and meaning, and allows you to appreciate it even more when you look at it again after the fact.

RANKING: A+++

Last edited by BEAT; 07-26-2018 at 06:47 AM. Reason: LEFT THE HOTLINE ONE BOX SPOILERE POPPED INSTEAD OF THUMBNAILED. BECAUSE CONTENT WARNING GORE.
Old 06-26-2018, 02:04 AM

Pronouns: 'He' & co

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ample Vigour View Post
This fits the actual game much better than the more popular poster and trailer do

This is Jacket as a maniac who kills for the pleasure of it, where the others portray him as some kind of heroic protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAT View Post
The other part of it the portrayal of Jacket himself. I refer to Ample Vigour's earlier comment.I actually conferred with AV over discord to nerd out over this game and make sure I was representing him properly in this post. We both agreed that the while Jacket is too nuts to understand WHY he kills, the brutal way he goes about is a pretty good indicator that he likes it. The collection cover's jacket is a fantastic example of that aspect's of jacket's muted, deranged persona, showing that's what's underneath the mask is even more disgusting than the disguise.

So given that jacket is literally the worst human in existence, why is this cover (and the game's launch trailer for that matter)
portraying this monster as someone who wishes to "save" a girl from a horde of enemies? The game does indeed have a scene where jacket takes home an unconscious women, but it wasn't a case of him trying to valiantly protect someone from people who wished to do her harm. He simply found her unconscious body AFTER he murdered everybody in the area, and just picked up her up and took her home because why not. It was much more of a kidnapping than a rescue, and I imagine that if he'd ran into any more mobsters after grabbing her he would've prioritized doing more murders over her safety.

A game box doesn't necessarily HAVE to represent an event from the game itself, but the character portrayed on this box trying to defend an innocent woman from those who would do her harm simply does not exist.

That is indeed an unfortunate choice, but I was thinking, maybe it's a bait-n-switch thing?
Put this cover and trailer out there so people will buy this game thinking they'll get to brutal violence people up for the "right" reasons, such as the portrayed, and olde video game classicke, distressed damsel defense, only to then realize they were playing a fucking deranged psychopath all along?
Sth similar to Spec Ops: The Line, I mean.

I dunno.
At any rate it's some pretty mediocre art indeed.
Old 06-26-2018, 07:21 AM
Penalty Box

Default LOOK AT THIS ASSHOLE ADVERTISING HIS LET'S PLAYS AGAIN.

If you want to know more about Hotline Miami, you should check out my Let's Play of both games, where I wrote a shit ton of words which I think do a mostly okay job of breaking down how a pair of games where you murder everybody are also kind of a commentary on the ultimate futility of violence.

Also there are videos of me playing video games while FanboyMaster shares his incredible knowledge on the topic of wrestling history, so that's neat.

Last edited by BEAT; 06-26-2018 at 07:22 AM. Reason: WHAT AN ASSHOLE. I HATE HIM AND HIS ASSHOLE-LIKE WAYS.
Old 06-26-2018, 11:01 AM
Banned

I am tempted to break my oath against LPs, more than ever before, but I never shall
Old 06-26-2018, 11:28 AM
Penalty Box

I'm just curious what Let's Plays did to get oath against status.

Like sure I could see a boycott on em no problem. Hell, even a declaration of one million times revenge isn't out of the question on some of these things.

But an oath against?

Their sins must have been great and terrible.
Old 06-26-2018, 01:42 PM

These images and the way you guys describe Hotline Miami makes it sound like a neckface fever dream if he suddenly became violently psychotic
Old 06-26-2018, 01:54 PM
Penalty Box

Neckface?
Old 06-26-2018, 09:28 PM

Sorry. I guess he's kinda niche. Do a google image search for "neckface art". Neckface is the psudonym of a guy I went to school with who got semi-famous for his street art. If you lived in SF or NYC you probably saw his art on buildings and shit at some point.
Old 06-27-2018, 08:42 AM
not actually a snake

Pronouns: they're more hobbyist nouns tbh

Behold, Neck Face art (the spoilering is very intentional as it is a somewhat brutal murdery kind of thing going on here, to be clear; you may not want to see this if you're not into the style of Hotline Miami):

Last edited by muteKi; 06-28-2018 at 10:09 AM.

Tags
are game covers art? , box-rating simulator , don't copy that floppy , full bleed , keyboard vomit from beat , top 50 countdown