The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about music and podcast

Old 03-22-2018, 09:20 PM
Everything Is A Cave

new GOST
Old 05-01-2018, 03:59 PM
l AM THE MANFIGHTER

So, Rebelfire posted Master Boot Record - "Direct Memory Access" in the metal thread. Which I didn't expect to like, cause I don't really like synths in my metal most of the time. But for whatever reason, I think it's rad and it definitely had me grinning like a fool a couple of times.

Which led me into Hollywood Burns - "Invaders" which uh....I might have to add this to my collection as well. I never listen to this kind of music, so it's cool that I suddenly was exposed to two albums that are pretty damn interesting.
Old 05-13-2018, 11:53 PM
Gravity is over-rated

Default Mmm... yeah, more please!

Guilty pleasure? Yeah probably. Love Synthwave, and this album reminds me a lot of Persona 3 Portable [the girl's route.]

Morgan Willis' album on Bandcamp

Last edited by Aleryn; 05-25-2018 at 12:24 PM.
Old 05-14-2018, 04:56 PM
nothing spatial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebelfire View Post
New DEADLIFE album today, and it's pretty good.

I really like story-telling through music, so a follow up from the first album is really cool.

Ah, thanks for this. I hadn't heard this artis previously and I am really loving both albums
Old 05-17-2018, 08:35 PM
King Of Space-Time

So... uh...

Alton Brown did a music video.

Old 05-21-2018, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Sly Ry View Post
So, Rebelfire posted Master Boot Record - "Direct Memory Access" in the metal thread. Which I didn't expect to like, cause I don't really like synths in my metal most of the time. But for whatever reason, I think it's rad and it definitely had me grinning like a fool a couple of times.

Which led me into Hollywood Burns - "Invaders" which uh....I might have to add this to my collection as well. I never listen to this kind of music, so it's cool that I suddenly was exposed to two albums that are pretty damn interesting.
Glad you're enjoying it (nice going, Rebelfire). Lots of rockin' stuff on the Blood Music label these days. FYI, Master Boot Record has their entire back catalog on sale for 7 euros.

If you're digging Hollywood Burns then I highly recommend Sigils by Vulta. You may hear a familiar sound on one of the tracks.

You might also like Dance with the Dead, which is how I fell headlong into the genre (thanks to Serephine). I think Robeast is a good example of their sound and their remix of Gost - Reign in Hell is one of my favorites.

And you'd probably like Perturbator, if you haven't already checked him out.
Old 06-05-2018, 02:20 PM
Everything Is A Cave

this whole album is pretty good
Old 06-10-2018, 08:04 AM
nothing spatial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebelfire View Post

this whole album is pretty good
I love this release and just about everything else HEALTH has released. I believe I posted their cover of Blue Monday further upthread somewhere. It's phenomenal. Super talented, super creative folks behind that project
Old 07-09-2018, 10:26 AM
Terrestrial Commuter

Pronouns: he/him/his

I just discovered a UK artist called Sevish, and his work is the most unique electronic music I've encountered in quite a while! It's best described as "microtonal dance music"; if that sounds interesting to you then I highly recommend you check out his most recent album, Harmony Hacker. Here's a couple example tracks, one from the aforementioned album and another from a previous release, Rhythm and Xen:

Old 07-25-2018, 05:24 PM
l AM THE MANFIGHTER

@Ted: Thanks for making recommendations and stuff. I know I'm slow to check out new stuff. What I heard of Dance with the Dead sounds good....at first. They seem all right but most of the songs do sound pretty similar. They're definitely a much more straightforward, dark-dance kind of sound than something like Hollywood Burns. Not that it's a fair comparison, they're different kinds of music.

That Deadlife album was pretty cool. It definitely had some standout moments.

Just discovered an artist called Future Fate from some mixtape that came up on youtube. Will have to listen to this album soon. The track I heard of the mixtape was "Midnight Haze" which was pretty cool.
Old 07-26-2018, 07:12 AM

Quote:
@Ted: Thanks for making recommendations and stuff. I know I'm slow to check out new stuff. What I heard of Dance with the Dead sounds good....at first. They seem all right but most of the songs do sound pretty similar. They're definitely a much more straightforward, dark-dance kind of sound than something like Hollywood Burns. Not that it's a fair comparison, they're different kinds of music.
Glad I could be helpful.

Your impressions of DwtD ring true: there's a fair amount of more-of-the-same happening. I really dig their sound so more is better, but I can see it being a real ymmv.
Old 07-26-2018, 04:32 PM
l AM THE MANFIGHTER

All right so I think I'm figuring out what I like. As I mentioned, Dance with the Dead has the sameyness going on. I mean I like the overall sound. And I probably liked what I heard more than this album by Lazerpunk. To me, that Lazerpunk thing basically sounds like every scene in a Hollywood movie from the '90s where someone walks into a club where people wear lots of leather and/or there's laser lights. I'm just not into that "club" sound.

Things like Master Boot Record, Hollywood Burns, and maybe to a somewhat lesser degree, Deadlife, have a lot more composition going on. Like, there are songs that go places and do things, rather than just slam a beat at you for four minutes at a time. Know what I mean? I know that was a rather reductive statement, don't hold it against me.

I guess I'm looking for more stuff like the three I just mentioned. Stuff that takes you places. I have a feeling I'll end up with a Deadlife album in my digital collection. It wasn't perfect, but "Order of Chaos" had some really excellent material that really did it for me.
Old 07-26-2018, 08:26 PM
oh my car

Pronouns: he/him

Old 07-27-2018, 09:31 AM

Sounds like I should check out Deadlife.

Quote:
Like, there are songs that go places and do things, rather than just slam a beat at you for four minutes at a time. Know what I mean? I know that was a rather reductive statement, don't hold it against me.

I guess I'm looking for more stuff like the three I just mentioned. Stuff that takes you places.
Here are a few that I think go places and do things, in no particular order:

Trilogy by Carpenter Brut
Labyrinth by Monomer
New Model by Perturbator (I usually skip the "Vantablack" track; I think it's silly.)

You might also find some tracks you like in Automated Refrains by Dan Terminus.

Everything else I'm into seems to favor a fairly steady beat, but I'm definitely still exploring, too.
Old 07-27-2018, 04:31 PM
nothing spatial

I finally got around to listening to Chris Carter's Chemistry Lessons Volume 1 and I just want to fade away into this album for days.

FOR DAYS
Old 07-28-2018, 02:54 PM
l AM THE MANFIGHTER

That Future Fate thing I linked a couple posts back is pretty darn good. Has driving beats, but also sounds pretty soundscapey. It's not super aggressive but not super laid back either. I dunno, it's just pretty cool. I added it to my collection.

edit: yeah, after having some alone time and listening in the car, it's pretty superb. I'm happy I found that. It's a short album, but it has some nice composition. There's some ebb and flow. And it just sounds darn cool.

Last edited by Sir Sly Ry; 07-28-2018 at 10:03 PM.
Old 07-29-2018, 04:29 AM
nothing spatial

Quote:
That Future Fate thing I linked a couple posts back is pretty darn good. Has driving beats, but also sounds pretty soundscapey. It's not super aggressive but not super laid back either. I dunno, it's just pretty cool. I added it to my collection.

edit: yeah, after having some alone time and listening in the car, it's pretty superb. I'm happy I found that. It's a short album, but it has some nice composition. There's some ebb and flow. And it just sounds darn cool.
I listened to this last night and really enjoyed it
Old 07-29-2018, 05:56 AM
l AM THE MANFIGHTER

Glad you did! That kind of stuff is what I'm looking for. Driving beats and grooves, but also a strong melodic sense, with songwriting.

To contrast, I listened to another Lazerpunk album, which sounds cool on the surface. It's violent and aggressive and heavy, all things you would expect me to like because I'm such a metalhead, but there's very little in the way of songwriting. They basically set up a beat and a simple riff, and just slam around that. It's club music. It's well produced club music, and they have individual tracks I dig, but there's just nothing for me to latch on to.
Old 08-02-2018, 04:56 PM
nothing spatial

New Chris Liebing is nice. If you don't like spoken word though, skip to 1:10 when the beat kicks in. Nice moody minimalist techno track.

Old 08-05-2018, 04:46 PM
l AM THE MANFIGHTER

The Perturbator EP was pretty rad. Added it to my collection.
Old 08-05-2018, 05:24 PM

Glad you enjoyed it!

In that case It's likely that you'd also enjoy:
* The Uncanny Valley
* Dangerous Days

And his guest appearance on Dan Terminus' The Wrath of Code track is pretty great.
Old 08-07-2018, 01:06 PM
l AM THE MANFIGHTER

I'm sure I'll check out more, but man, that cover art is so aggressively dumb it makes me want to skip it.
Old 08-07-2018, 06:47 PM
Are You Sure About That?

Pronouns: He/Him/His

Did we mention Meteor at all at some point? He's pretty good for non-dance synthwave.
Old 08-07-2018, 08:18 PM
l AM THE MANFIGHTER

Not bad. It starts off a bit aggressively retro, but the last two tracks are pretty special. I dug "Black Holes" the most I think.
Old 08-08-2018, 07:14 AM
Are You Sure About That?

Pronouns: He/Him/His

Yeah, that's about my opinion. He's got a couple of EPs and single songs there on Bandcamp, but I haven't checked out his newer stuff yet.
Old 08-08-2018, 11:25 AM

Hmm, this thread pulls up a lot faster now that we're on a new page.

So, a humble request: shall we prefer links over embeds from now on?
Old 08-10-2018, 03:41 PM
l AM THE MANFIGHTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted View Post
New Model by Perturbator (I usually skip the "Vantablack" track; I think it's silly.)
By the by, I understand your sentiment, inasmuch as the lyrics are dumb as hell. It's almost embarrassing to listen to.

But I give it a pass because the music is so fucking good. As it stands, I love that track. But I also have a propensity for ignoring or not caring about lyrics, moreso than most people.
Old 08-14-2018, 11:37 AM
Terrestrial Commuter

Pronouns: he/him/his

New Dance with the Dead album! It is Very Good.
Old 08-14-2018, 12:45 PM
nothing spatial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soren Highwind View Post

Wow! Yeah it is!
Old 08-14-2018, 03:34 PM
l AM THE MANFIGHTER

Deadlife - Bionic Chrysalis
So, like I said, I figured I'd pick up some Deadlife, and I did. This album is great. It hits hard when it needs to, pulls back when it's appropriate, and hits all the emotional beats. Sometimes dark, frequently groovy, overall a damn solid album.

Last edited by Sir Sly Ry; 08-18-2018 at 06:08 AM.

Tags
cool stuff , electronic music , nerds , synthesizers