The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about other things > Talking about sports

Old 02-06-2018, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Issun View Post
There's more reason to think so than there was at this time in 2008 or 2012, though.
Like, sure, heís getting older. But Brady being older is not why they lost the game. I mean, the man threw for what, 5k yards this season? Sure his days are limited but thereís no reason why this, right here, is The End.
Old 02-07-2018, 11:06 AM
King Of Space-Time

Angry

First the horse crap incident, now this.

Eagles fan spotted with swiped U.S. Bank Stadium seat after SB

GODDAMMIT, PEOPLE.

And it's most likely another suburb chucklehead.
Old 02-07-2018, 11:59 AM
World of Darkness Returns

Chiefs fans ripped out a ton of seats at the playoff game they lost this year. I think its probably just common (shitty) practice.
Old 02-07-2018, 12:23 PM
Mr. Jackpots

Pronouns: he/him

Big Dick Nick gonna get that cheddar
Old 02-07-2018, 12:51 PM
Family Man

Itís almost as if sports bring out/encourage bad behavior...
Old 02-07-2018, 07:53 PM
Overwhelmed by Absurdity

Wow, Jason Kelce really is a fantastic center and played amazingly in the Super Bowl. This twitter thread has some gifs showing some of the blocks he made in pass protection and the things he does seem impossible but he somehow manages to make these incredible blocks so that Foles could make the big throws that won the Eagles the game.
Old 02-08-2018, 09:21 AM
Sacco/Vanzetti 2020

Pronouns: he/him

Watching the parade on TV (because LOL @ a guy with social anxiety standing with FOUR MILLION people downtown) and I am pleased to report they already have the WWE belt on the bus with the players.
Old 02-08-2018, 09:47 AM
King Of Space-Time

Man's boss decided they would not shut down for the parade.

Man breaks his own fingers to get out of work.

GODDAMMIT, PEOPLE.
Old 02-08-2018, 11:10 AM
Holy Swine

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.R. Bigman View Post
Itís almost as if sports bring out/encourage bad behavior...
Just like video games!
Old 02-08-2018, 12:36 PM

Niners just PAID Jimmy Gesus. This will either be the best or the worst decision ever (probably worst but w/e).
Old 02-09-2018, 04:05 PM
Mega Man 4 Superfan

Man, Jason Kelce's costume upped every championship team's parade outfit game forever.
Old 02-09-2018, 04:33 PM
Mega Man 4 Superfan

Double post for this:

Even for the teams I don't like, it's still cool watching them win their first Superbowl.

Addendum: Vikings fans do not watch. It will bring only pain.
Old 02-09-2018, 05:49 PM

Addendum 2: Lions fans...
Old 03-07-2018, 09:12 AM
Overwhelmed by Absurdity

I know I am a nerd for football because when I was browsing through the Ready Player One thread and I saw the initials RPO my very first thought was Run/Pass Option and then thought about Nick Foles and his charmed run to the Super Bowl.
Old 03-07-2018, 10:27 AM
Mega Man 4 Superfan

That would probably be a better movie.
Old 03-09-2018, 02:16 PM
Mega Man 4 Superfan

Bennett leaving Seattle is sad, but losing Sherman is heartbreaking. I haven't been this bummed about a sports thing since SB 49.
Old 03-10-2018, 10:59 AM
Bob

oh hay Buffalo Bills got a 3rd (the first 3rd round pick, even) for Tyrod Taylor

That being said, Tyrod Taylor is a class act and I wish the best for him. He never got what he deserved from the Bills, and we took advantage of his tenure here. He ended the longest current playoffs drought for major American sports, said all the right things, and did all the right things. Good luck to him in Cleveland, but there's very little chance he'll be more than a bridge quarterback to whoever the Browns draft next month.

But wow, that's a great deal for the Bills, not having to pay Tyrod and getting basically a 2nd round pick, gaining ammo for them to trade up and get their quarterback of the future. This new front office for the Bills is the most competent I've seen by far (mostly because the past seventeen years have been marred with mediocrity by coaches and the front office).
Old 03-10-2018, 01:37 PM
This Guy

Yeah, that looks like a good deal for both teams, since Cleveland has no players and a ton of picks and Buffalo wasn't going to keep Taylor anyway. I don't understand why Buffalo was so insistent on moving on from the best QB they've had in 20 years, but since that was the direction they wanted to go, this is a pretty good outcome.
Old 03-10-2018, 06:58 PM

Richard Sherman signed a 3 yr deal with the Niners. I dunno if I should be happy or ill.
Old 03-10-2018, 07:38 PM
Mega Man 4 Superfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by WisteriaHysteria View Post
Richard Sherman signed a 3 yr deal with the Niners. I dunno if I should be happy or ill.
I know which one of those I feel (no offense).
Old 03-10-2018, 09:54 PM
Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rascally Badger View Post
Yeah, that looks like a good deal for both teams, since Cleveland has no players and a ton of picks and Buffalo wasn't going to keep Taylor anyway. I don't understand why Buffalo was so insistent on moving on from the best QB they've had in 20 years, but since that was the direction they wanted to go, this is a pretty good outcome.
Pedantic Answer: Drew Bledsoe was certainly better than Tyrod Taylor.

Actual answer: It's because saying that Tyrod is the reason they've won games is patently false. He was told not to lose game and was mostly coached that way. He's a consistent, if not stellar quarterback. He was not going to ever win the Super Bowl. Getting a 3rd round pick by trading and signing their own bridge quarterback via FA, then trading up and picking their QB of the future was always going to be the smart move. There's about a 50% chance that the QB we get via FA is better than Tyrod already.
Old 03-10-2018, 10:21 PM
Mega Man 4 Superfan

Meanwhile Cleveland is touting trade after trade and they'll most likely still suck balls.
Old 03-11-2018, 12:26 AM
Overwhelmed by Absurdity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umby View Post
This new front office for the Bills is the most competent I've seen by far (mostly because the past seventeen years have been marred with mediocrity by coaches and the front office).
Quote:
He was not going to ever win the Super Bowl.
But the whole Nate Peterman thing was an unmitigated disaster. I guess you could blame that on the coaches rather than the front office but starting him over Taylor might have been the most willfully idiotic action taken anywhere in the NFL last year (and that was during a year when a Super Bowl caliber QB went unsigned because of his politics).

But I think Taylor is probably a pretty similar quality of player to someone like Alex Smith. They're unremarkable or bad when on bad teams (Smith on the pre-Harbaugh 49ers, Taylor with the Bills coaching staff that clearly didn't want him) but Smith proved he could be quite good with the Andy Reid Chiefs. So I think it's a shame that Taylor wound up with the Browns. I think he would have been a substantial upgrade for the Jaguars! And if Trent Dilfer and Nick Foles can win Super Bowls then I think Taylor or Smith could do it too with a little luck and a lot of help from a great team.
Old 03-11-2018, 12:58 AM
Mega Man 4 Superfan

Nick Foles is exponentially better than Trent Dilfer, who is the worst QB to win a Superbowl in at least 40 years.

Taylor is better than Alex Smith, so it's a damn shame the Chiefs didn't pick him up. Reid already knows how to utilize a mobile QB with a good arm.
Old 03-11-2018, 08:55 AM
Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meditative_Zebra View Post
But the whole Nate Peterman thing was an unmitigated disaster. I guess you could blame that on the coaches rather than the front office but starting him over Taylor might have been the most willfully idiotic action taken anywhere in the NFL last year (and that was during a year when a Super Bowl caliber QB went unsigned because of his politics).

But I think Taylor is probably a pretty similar quality of player to someone like Alex Smith. They're unremarkable or bad when on bad teams (Smith on the pre-Harbaugh 49ers, Taylor with the Bills coaching staff that clearly didn't want him) but Smith proved he could be quite good with the Andy Reid Chiefs. So I think it's a shame that Taylor wound up with the Browns. I think he would have been a substantial upgrade for the Jaguars! And if Trent Dilfer and Nick Foles can win Super Bowls then I think Taylor or Smith could do it too with a little luck and a lot of help from a great team.

Nathan Peterman was an interesting/bad choice, but it's not as awful as everyone made it out to be. Look at Tyrod's performance in the two games before the Chargers (a pretty awful loss to the Jets and an absolute drubbing by the Saints). He was awful. I wasn't completely against changing QBs just to get a different performance out of the team, which was trending in the wrong direction.

Also, unfortunately, Alex Smith is a better QB than Tyrod could hope to be. The rest of the Bills right now is not as good as the Eagles or Ravens when they won their Super Bowls. There was no way that keeping Tyrod in the short or long term was going to be the right move. Take it from someone who has watched Tyrod for the past three years: he has great games, but every single time he has been called upon to win a game with his arm, he hasn't been able to do so. There are a few games Tyrod has won by his will alone, but he's just not the answer the Bills are looking for, and it was about time we went in a new direction.
Old 03-13-2018, 04:38 AM
Overwhelmed by Absurdity

Quote:
Nathan Peterman was an interesting/bad choice, but it's not as awful as everyone made it out to be.
lol, he threw five picks in one half as a starter. If you prorated it out to a full season that would be 160 interceptions. So yeah, Peterman probably isn't that bad but the Bills coaches are still idiots for benching a not-terrible QB like Taylor and replacing him with a totally unready player like Peterman.

But the real reason I came into this thread was to share the much talked about hand injury that Tom Brady had during the playoffs. Yikes! That was a pretty nasty looking cut! It's remarkable the sort of injuries that professional athletes play through whereas if I had a big ol' cut like that I would treat my hand as totally crippled and probably be grumpy at everyone in life.
Old 03-13-2018, 09:04 AM
Bob

The benching of Taylor wasn't meant to be a "We think Peterman is going to win us the game." It was a message to the team saying that you have to perform to be a starter, and also an evaluation of Peterman. And the evaluation we got is that Peterman ain't good. All I meant was that I understood the reasoning behind the move and the Bills started to look normal again after the Chargers game.
Old 03-13-2018, 11:10 AM
This Guy

It was still a team in playoff contention, in the midst of a 20 year playoff drought, obviously throwing away a winnable game.
Old 03-13-2018, 11:28 AM
World of Darkness Returns

Chiefs might as well be a new team this coming season with all the cuts. Shame Andy Reid didn't get let go with them.
Old 03-13-2018, 03:51 PM
Mega Man 4 Superfan

Detroit has now missed out on two premiere corners in a row. Lions fans probably just shrug and say "Yeah, and?".

Tags
the maddening , touchdown tom , waaahhh muh flag