The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about music and podcast

Old 09-25-2018, 01:36 PM
It's dog eat dog

Pronouns: he/him

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCBanjoMike View Post
As for the podcast itself, well, I definitely have some quibbles. The host has all the charisma of a cardboard standee and the text is completely overwritten. In some ways I'm reminded of the older episodes of 99% Invisible; it feels like this guy needs to do the research and then pass the material off to someone else for editing and hosting. But Roman Mars got way better at hosting his show with time, so maybe that will happen here too. On the other hand, there are very few artists whose work interests me enough to warrant this kind of deep dive. If I ever decide I want to tackle the mountain that is Kendrick Lamar, I might check out some episodes of the earlier season where Cole goes over that album, but thinking about it is a little exhausting right now.
I am a big fan of Dissect and its format, but I had trouble getting into this season. Applying such a clinical approach to something so quiet and deeply personal created kind of a cognitive dissonance for me, whereas it felt more logical for something as intricate and technical as My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy. It might just be his delivery.
Old 09-26-2018, 12:06 PM
do you feel the eel zeal?

Pronouns: they're more hobbyist nouns tbh

I've been reading about this Barstool thing (for which, um, "yikes" is far too mild a term), and it turns out that I was wrong about PFTCommenter; it's not short for Paul F. Tompkins at all! Dude has a podcast and everything, how was I supposed to know?
Old 09-29-2018, 10:31 AM
Mystery Contraption

Pronouns: He

My favorite episodes of The Flophouse are the ones where either A) they watch cartoons or B) they take place during Smallvember.

And dang it all, look what just popped up into my feed.
Old 10-01-2018, 04:41 AM
Mystery Contraption

Oh daaaaaang, Thrilling Adventure Hour is coming back!

It's going to get two new episodes a month, in studio rather than live, with new segments as well as returning classics/actors.
Old 10-03-2018, 05:46 PM
till the sheriff stops by

Whoa. I saw an update on my feed but I assumed it was a new tour or promotion or something. I'm down for this. BTW, I love that I keep seeing Marc Evan Jackson everywhere these days (Adventure Time, Better Call Saul, The Good Place, Brooklyn Nine-Nine).
Old 10-04-2018, 12:54 PM
Mystery Contraption

New show out on the Nightvale network; Adventures in New America, which is described as “A sci-fi, political satire afrofuturistic buddy-Comedy for Americans in a new and different time”.

Which is hardly an inaccurate title, but could be more succinct. Based on the first episode, I’d say “Idiocracy, if it were a Blaxploitation movie, except as a radio drama”.

Anyway, there’s only one episode, but it caught my attention and interest, so I think I’ll subscribe.
Old 10-15-2018, 03:42 PM

Oh by the way, while the newest episode of Radiolab does say that it has explicit sexual content in it, they don't say that, yes, they play back an actual live recording of a sexual assault.
Old 10-19-2018, 05:43 PM
Dinger!

Has anyone here been listening to Season 3 of Serial? Because it's really great.
Old 10-19-2018, 08:32 PM
この世の最も無智なる者

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karzac View Post
Has anyone here been listening to Season 3 of Serial? Because it's really great.
I love it, but it takes me a while to get through the episodes. This is not because of any problem with the show, but instead just because the criminal justice system is so bad in the US that I have to take breaks for a while when I get too frustrated or depressed.

I'm sure this is not an original opinion, but I also think that by offering a close examination of how the criminal justice works (or, more often, doesn't work) on the ground, this season is serving as a kind of penance for the worst excesses of the first season's true crime format...
Old 10-20-2018, 07:31 PM

That's actually not too far from what the producers said the reason for this focus was, since it's not particularly serial, the story
Old 10-24-2018, 03:27 AM
Dinger!

Quote:
Originally Posted by estragon View Post
I love it, but it takes me a while to get through the episodes. This is not because of any problem with the show, but instead just because the criminal justice system is so bad in the US that I have to take breaks for a while when I get too frustrated or depressed.

I'm sure this is not an original opinion, but I also think that by offering a close examination of how the criminal justice works (or, more often, doesn't work) on the ground, this season is serving as a kind of penance for the worst excesses of the first season's true crime format...
Absolutely agreed. After finishing the latest episode, I couldn't help but marvel at the fact that the entire US isn't already in open revolt.
Old 10-26-2018, 02:33 PM
Family Man

This just a general problem I have with crowd funded podcasts and not one in particular. I know they want more to buy things they need, but whenever a podcast has tiers that make the listener more or less important depending on how much they give, it feels shitty. The hosts can be talking about the evils of capitalism, then a minute later say that the topic of this week’s show was from a supporter who payed a certain amount of money to get their idea heard. Doesn’t matter if the topic is bad or not conducive to a good discussion, the donor lobbied for it with their money, and money equals influence and worth.
Old 10-29-2018, 08:46 AM
Mystery Contraption

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
Oh daaaaaang, Thrilling Adventure Hour is coming back!

It's going to get two new episodes a month, in studio rather than live, with new segments as well as returning classics/actors.
It’s tooooodaaaaaay!

Unsurprisingly It’s leading off with a double-feature or Beyond Belief and Sparks Nevada.
Old 10-29-2018, 10:11 AM
Natural Born Critic

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.R. Bigman View Post
This just a general problem I have with crowd funded podcasts and not one in particular. I know they want more to buy things they need, but whenever a podcast has tiers that make the listener more or less important depending on how much they give, it feels shitty. The hosts can be talking about the evils of capitalism, then a minute later say that the topic of this week’s show was from a supporter who payed a certain amount of money to get their idea heard. Doesn’t matter if the topic is bad or not conducive to a good discussion, the donor lobbied for it with their money, and money equals influence and worth.
Speaking as a person who runs a modestly successful crowdfunded podcast, I am incredibly thankful for the people who literally throw money at me for nothing more than the modest reward I can give for a spare-time hobby that hundreds of people listen to every day. It is amazing to me that so many people listen to me talk with my friend. It's equally amazing anyone wants to pay me enough money so that I will say "Thank you" to them on my podcast and make a joke about their name, but there are dozens of people who do, and it's literally the easiest reward to offer after following a person on Twitter. It also tells people we view them as a community, and reinforces that we want that community to know we care about them.

I can assure you that neither my co-host or myself have any illusion about becoming "professional podcasters" and living solely off the sweet sweet fat of listeners' $1-$10 monthly Patreon contributions. However, it is incredibly helpful that the few thousand dollars that we earned this year helped us to cover our hosting fees, upgrade our recording room with acoustic foam, gave us the money to go to a con and promote a podcast, and pays for our lunches on the 1-2 times a month we have a 12-hour recording day. Next year, we may be able to save up for another con visit or new microphones (or both, if we can manage to grow). We're also ethical people, so we get to pay taxes (at a contractor/W-9 rate in the US) on the money we earn, which cuts into our gross income substantially.

At this point, we've been successful enough also get a luxurious $40 or so a month each that are our "podcast profits." This money is ours to do with as we please, but given that it takes us approximately 5-10 hours of reading a book, taking notes, recording a discussion, and editing that discussion into a quality 60-90 minute product, we try not to think about it as wages. We produce 4-5 episodes a month that are 60-90 minutes long, so if you do the math (which I haven't) my hourly rate on our podcast falls well below the minimum wage in the US.

Relative to other podcasts we are lucky, and the stats bear that out: the "average" podcast on Patreon earns less than $50 a month in support, which is barely enough to support hosting fees. We are in the top 10%, and it's because people want the rewards we offer. Even in our case, this $500 a month (a level of support most podcast-makers will only dream of attaining) is not nearly enough for us to be considered beneficiaries of our capitalist free market when compared to the labor and expenses of our endeavor.

I want to be clear that I'm completely grateful that there are people out there supporting my hobby enough that it only costs me time and not money. That's awesome. So awesome, in fact, that after over two years of doing this (and only recently making any money at all at it) both my partner and I are excited and driven to improve the experience for our fans and "justify" our success in an incredibly niche section of a fragmented market.

I realize too that some of your complaints may rest with the political nature of the podcasts you listen to. We do have the benefit of not being an overtly political podcast (we talk about geeky books), and while we take patron requests, we only do those in special "bonus mini-casts" that are not part of our regular broadcast because we don't want our fans directing our main content. We also do not advertise on our podcast. We're probably not doing the things that irritate you about other podcasts, and that's a result of intentional choices we made that others may not make the same way.

If you're frustrated by these shout-outs and fan-driven episode topics, I would encourage you to visit the podcast's Patreon page and see how much they're actually "making" off of their fans. Also consider if they're forcing people to pay to receive content, or asking for support to cover costs. Finally, I'd ask you to consider that every person who listens to that same podcast likely has the opportunity to listen to a large library of content for free.

Last edited by Bulgakov; 10-29-2018 at 02:35 PM.
Old 10-31-2018, 04:55 PM
gatchapon 3*

man, without my patrons, i wouldn't be able to do a podcast at all. it costs us a stupid amount of money to do this stuff, and even with patronage, we're still in a hole every month.

Last edited by shivam; 10-31-2018 at 05:27 PM.
Old 11-01-2018, 06:18 PM
bad at lurking

Pronouns: He him

I listen to so many podcasts and watch so many youtube channels that are patron backed, I'm super thankful it exists. And I love that people can suggest ideas that way because usually they are good ideas because they are big fans who put up money for the idea.

speaking of patreon, I kind of want to listen to "talking futurama" which is a patron-only thing for "talking simpsons." Does anyone know if I sign up for it if I can just go find that season of Talking Futurama easily, or will I have to dig through the whole Patreon talking simpsons feed for it?
Old 11-01-2018, 06:58 PM
Sorry, I have no tea

They've got the episodes tagged so you can download them without searching through the archive.
Old 11-05-2018, 05:21 PM
till the sheriff stops by

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
It’s tooooodaaaaaay!

Unsurprisingly It’s leading off with a double-feature or Beyond Belief and Sparks Nevada.
Well, Beyond Beyond Belief, which was still funny despite not having Frank and Sadie Doyle in it (though I hope they come back). It was actually really strong, though it's weird not hearing it in front of a studio audience. Also Ahmed Best was in it! And he was hilarious.
Old 11-05-2018, 06:43 PM
Mystery Contraption

“He looked like if an unbaked croissant was a guy!”
Old 11-08-2018, 12:53 PM
There he is!

Slate's new narrative podcast Standoff, about the Ruby Ridge standoff and aftermath, seems like it's going to be a very good show for people who want more stuff like Slow Burn in their life.

Tags
beef-out , podcast , recommendations , the new radio , whats up hot dog