The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 04-28-2010, 11:20 AM
so exciting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zef View Post
Well, I suppose the three Tora-* spells have slightly different functions, right? Like WARP and EXIT in FF1, where one brought you to the previous floor and the other pulled you out of the whole dungeon?
Yeah. Traest warps you out of first person dungeons, Trastart warps you back to the last terminal you used on the world map and Trampa warps you to, uh, the terminal you use most often, or something.

Quote:
but tell me the practical difference between Azure and Crimson?)
Which personas have them. Azure is marginally stronger (the guidebook lists Crimson as having a base power of 62 while Azure has 65).
Old 04-29-2010, 08:21 AM

So Iíve finally gotten to December in Persona 4, and Iím now after the real villain. Funny thing about the real villain: way back at the beginning of the game I was making wild guesses about the killer. I figured the killer was either someone who wasnít going to show up until late in the game, or someone totally harmless, like I donít know, that goofy Junior Detective? And then I laughed it off. I guess Iím a pretty good crazy guesser! So now Iím off to kick his ass. Iím hoping for a good old fashioned Persona user battle, but Iím expecting him to turn into a monster or something. I mean, it should be a Persona battle, the guy totally is ok with his secret self. If he ran into his Shadow heíd totally give it a high-five. Unless (crazy guessing time) his shadow is the harmless version of himself that he was pretending to be all game. Or maybe heís actually a shadow hanging out in the real world like Teddie. Regardless, I hope to find out this weekend if I get enough level grinding in! I think Iím going to give up hope of getting all of my S-links maxed by the end of the month. I really need that time to gain levels as Iím way underpowered. I donít want to have the same problems that I did in finishing off Persona 3. So Iíll finish the Fortune and Hermit S-links and everything else is just gravy.
Old 04-29-2010, 10:08 AM

I could be mistaken, but doesn't Persona 4 allow you to engage in a potentially infinite amount of grinding in a single day once you have access to the Arcana Shuffle and the Hermit S-Link? I think I spent maybe 2 days per month in the dungeons, one day to complete each new dungeon, and one day to complete any side quests. Unless the rules change in the endgame to prevent this somehow, which would be rather sadistic but, upon reflection, not terribly surprising.
Old 04-29-2010, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrChris View Post
I could be mistaken, but doesn't Persona 4 allow you to engage in a potentially infinite amount of grinding in a single day once you have access to the Arcana Shuffle and the Hermit S-Link? I think I spent maybe 2 days per month in the dungeons, one day to complete each new dungeon, and one day to complete any side quests. Unless the rules change in the endgame to prevent this somehow, which would be rather sadistic but, upon reflection, not terribly surprising.
I've been only going dungeon delving 2 times a month myself, but I'm really worried about money. Even with that S-link being almost maxed out, he's bleeding me dry. I might be worrying too much. It could be that the final dungeons will give out so much cash that it will even out or something. I keep hoping for that SP refill shuffle, but no luck! (I did get the EXP one last night though. That was pretty great.)
Old 04-29-2010, 11:23 AM
Sudden chomper

If you really want to grind infinitely in Persona 4, you just have to go make some money in the early dungeons. There's effectively no risk, so you rake in the cash without running out of SP and HP. It works even better if you have the SP-restoring ability whose name I forget - I had it on a Yatagarasu and I wound up using that persona for a huge part of the late game. If you have a character with that ability who can also heal, you can keep going pretty much indefinitely in the easier dungeons.
Old 04-29-2010, 11:35 AM
Find Your Reason

But what's the resale value of item drops in those early dungeons, though? Shadows there drop relatively little money, and the Exp yield is laughable.
Old 04-29-2010, 11:43 AM
forbidden noise

The money you get from fighting things doesn't actually increase much over the course of the game. If you need lots of money, you're supposed to get it by working. What a crazy concept!
Old 04-29-2010, 12:07 PM
Soybean Powder Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by spineshark View Post
The money you get from fighting things doesn't actually increase much over the course of the game. If you need lots of money, you're supposed to get it by working. What a crazy concept!
Oh, but the December dungeon offers an opportunity for mischief if you abuse a certain battle....

Old 04-29-2010, 12:11 PM

Good Lord! That would certainly get me caught up in level pretty quick. Not to mention funding Persona experiments. How does one pull that off?
Old 04-29-2010, 12:17 PM
Soybean Powder Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pseudonym View Post
Good Lord! That would certainly get me caught up in level pretty quick. Not to mention funding Persona experiments. How does one pull that off?
This is from memory, so take appropriate precautions: Equip a Persona that repels physical attacks, and a relatively weak weapon. An accessory to null charm is preferred but not mandatory. Then, in the December dungeon, get into a fight with one of the king guys (look like dolls, I forget their name) that constantly summon new minions, put the game on Rush, and come back in an hour.

A caveat: this is great for money, but terrible for experience.
Old 04-29-2010, 12:48 PM
Find Your Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazian View Post
Oh, but the December dungeon offers an opportunity for mischief if you abuse a certain battle....

Oh, man, and I'm still stuck in June! I can't wait for it to be Christmas!

EDIT: Holy crap, I just saw you got over 2 thousand of those Royal Blossoms, whatever they are. How much do THOSE sell for?
Old 04-29-2010, 03:28 PM
Soybean Powder Expert

Quote:
EDIT: Holy crap, I just saw you got over 2 thousand of those Royal Blossoms, whatever they are. How much do THOSE sell for?
You shot 2258 pounds of Royal Blossoms! However, you could only carry 99 back to the wagon.

(Sadly, despite the huge haul, it doesn't overcome the inventory per-item limit.)
Old 04-29-2010, 04:30 PM
Love and Peace

Another thing that makes dungeon-crawling much easier in the late game happens if you've been good to your teammates. Rise learns a nifty HP/SP restoring trick at level 70-odd if you max out her Social Link, so even if you aren't on good terms with the Fox, you can spend a long, long time in the TV World, and you'll get to take home more profit.
Old 05-01-2010, 12:36 PM

So I played DDS2 for hours today.

First I finsihed the EGG Installation.

Then I did the Power Plant.

Then I went back to the EGG Installation!

What is this new, unfamiliar sensation of understanding the plot?

Also: Schroedinger the cat. *snort*
Old 05-01-2010, 01:28 PM
Kills Thousands

Man, you're powering through the game fast. It was right about there that I started my skill grinding. If it makes you feel better, you've gotten through what I consider the worst dungeon that I've ever played. Depending on how much you actually enjoy the crawl, the last dungeon is a treat. I say this knowing full well that most people don't enjoy dungeon crawling.

In other news, I'm still playing through Persona 3 and Shinjiro just joined the team. I wish I had stuck with the game back when I first got it, because I've been spoiled bit by bit ever since and I know pretty much all the major plot points without having played most of them myself.

Also, Koromaru is pretty much a mainstay in my party now.
Old 05-01-2010, 01:46 PM

Oh, I wanted to ask. Wasn't this game supposed to be ~35 hours long? I've only played about 15 hours, and it seems I'm approaching the end...

I'm planning to finish the game normally right now, no bonus content, and then in the NG+ I'll go for 100% like I did in DDS1.
Old 05-01-2010, 02:17 PM
clearlynotcollegeeducated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha Werewolf View Post
Oh, I wanted to ask. Wasn't this game supposed to be ~35 hours long? I've only played about 15 hours, and it seems I'm approaching the end...
I beat DDS2 in about 17-18 hours with all the bonuses from DDS1, so you probably aren't far off.
Old 05-01-2010, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eirikr View Post
I beat DDS2 in about 17-18 hours with all the bonuses from DDS1, so you probably aren't far off.
There's somethng other than the special rings?
Old 05-01-2010, 02:26 PM
clearlynotcollegeeducated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha Werewolf View Post
There's somethng other than the special rings?
I believe you start off with stat boosts too. +5 to everything? Seems a bit generous, but something along those lines is ringing a bell. To get that I think you had to completely fill out 1's Mantra grid.

There's also a money bonus too if I'm not mistaken. You just had to have a certain amount by the end, maybe a million? I haven't played this game in four years, so I don't know exactly but I'm pretty sure these are at least in the ballpark.
Old 05-01-2010, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eirikr View Post
I believe you start off with stat boosts too. +5 to everything? Seems a bit generous, but something along those lines is ringing a bell. To get that I think you had to completely fill out 1's Mantra grid.

There's also a money bonus too if I'm not mistaken. You just had to have a certain amount by the end, maybe a million? I haven't played this game in four years, so I don't know exactly but I'm pretty sure these are at least in the ballpark.
Well, I 100%'d DDS1 and had well over a million at the end. So I guess this is easier than it should be.

Then again, DDS is a pretty easy series compared to other Atlus games.

And it's the only game in which "Inferno Roar" is not fire elemental. I mean, seriously, wut?
Old 05-02-2010, 11:19 PM
Kills Thousands

As much as I like being able to attack shadows on the map, it's really irritating to accidentally talk to a party member when you're trying to prevent being back attacked. What's even worse is when they annihilate your entire party during the back attack. I mean, I know that's SMT in its purest form, but it really gets on my nerves on occasion.
Old 05-03-2010, 12:54 AM
We Hardly Knew Ye

re: spell nomenclature

It took me awhile to get adjusted when I played P3. Quite frankly, modern Final Fantasy does the same thing: -a, -aga, -ara, -aja, -ashamalamadingdong. I know it was a practice of the times, but I kind of miss developers/translators just numbering this crap.
Old 05-03-2010, 01:58 AM
Cure Space Marine

I can't decide how I feel about polygamy in Personas 3/4. On one hand, I don't care for what it implies about the main character and his approach to relationships and whether or not it implies anything. On the other hand, I have a completionist streak in me, and I appreciate being able to see multiple romances in a single playthrough.

Love by virtue of it's convenience in terms of game design I guess.
Old 05-03-2010, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netbrian View Post
I can't decide how I feel about polygamy in Personas 3/4. On one hand, I don't care for what it implies about the main character and his approach to relationships and whether or not it implies anything. On the other hand, I have a completionist streak in me, and I appreciate being able to see multiple romances in a single playthrough.

Love by virtue of it's convenience in terms of game design I guess.
At least P4 gives you the option to not be a cheating bastard and still max S-links. Although, I stopped hanging out with her to work on other links. I guess I am a bastard!

I finished off P4 this weekend. I wasn't really on the mark with my crazy predictions about the killer's supernatural nature. Oh well! Those were some pretty crazy guesses! But I did get my Persona battle!Final dungeon exploration leveling went much better after I got Rise's final skills. And I tried the money trick once for some funds to bring forward to the next game. The true final battle wasn't half as hard as I had worried. It was long, but it was really a matter of patient buffs and whittling down it's health. I almost want to play it again, but I think I should put some distance on it. I think P3P will be my next S-linking excursion.
Old 05-03-2010, 09:44 AM

(DDS2)
I've beaten Chernabog at the airport! He's a nice gimmick,
but since I built my characters very strictly - everybody uses their weakness but Cielo - it was easy to destroy the shadows in a couple rounds. Also, why do bosses not use Dekaja/unda? It's weird.

Hey Nich, when is it safe to view your spoilered stuff about DDS2?

Amala Ring <3
Old 05-03-2010, 10:21 AM
Comprehends Words

Quote:
So Iíve finally gotten to December in Persona 4, and Iím now after the real villain.
I'm biting my tongue, but suffice it to say, I'm excited for you. I could debate all day whether 3 or 4 is a better game, but I think the end parts of 4 have a serious leg up.
Old 05-03-2010, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nich View Post
I haven't posted in this thread about DDS2 (and never will) so I'm not sure whose post you mean. Garrison's, maybe?
Damnit. Yeah, that was a mistype, I meant Garr.
Old 05-03-2010, 12:41 PM
Kills Thousands

Nothing that I spoiler tagged was actually spoilers. I think I said something about the story, but it was incredibly vague and I believe you're past the point where you'll be surprised by anything the game throws at you.
Old 05-03-2010, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrison View Post
Nothing that I spoiler tagged was actually spoilers. I think I said something about the story, but it was incredibly vague and I believe you're past the point where you'll be surprised by anything the game throws at you.
Well, I've figured out that I'll probably be fighting God in the Sun. But I was more concerned with gameplay spoilers - specifically, information about dungeons and bosses.
Old 05-03-2010, 08:14 PM
Soybean Powder Expert

Quote:
The true final battle wasn't half as hard as I had worried.
Out of curiosity, is that the big mean sphere or the really true final boss?

Tags
arioch , atlus , behold my demons , bring more macca , cu chulainn , everybody forgets kyouji , go to frozen , goddamn robots , kaneko , let's positive thinking! , mara , matador , megaten , penis waggin , penis waggon , persona , pixie , rpg , shin megami tensei , smt , where the s-links at