The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 08-10-2017, 02:29 PM
New Video World is out!

Default What are you just beginning to play?

Thread for announcing when you're about to get stuck into something! No spoilers obvs but people could give their impressions going in and others could respond spoiler-free or offer suggestions of things that are important to the game that maybe aren't so obvious.

Anyway, I'm just starting The Last Guardian. I've barely touched Ico or SOTC but when I tried the latter I didn't enjoy it. However, that was about a decade ago so I'm going to install the HD version on PS3 sometime or maybe look into the upcoming remake if it's good.
Old 08-10-2017, 02:51 PM
?!

I just started Xenoblade Chronicles 3D this week. Got it as gift like, 18 months ago, but didn't didn't have time for it then and pretty much forgot about it afterwards. I'm just about done with Persona 5, so I'm ready to start up the next epic RPG, and I want to give this one a go before its sequel comes out, so it just seemed like the time was right. I really didn't pay much attention to opinions on the game when it originally came out, so I have almost no expectations, good or bad.
Old 08-10-2017, 02:52 PM
120 Days

Alien Isolation. Tense!
Old 08-10-2017, 03:08 PM
New Video World is out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chud_666 View Post
Alien Isolation. Tense!
Great game, as long as one thing is borne in mind. Not a spoiler or even a gameplay detail but just a method of play that is necessary for it to even begin to be fun imo. Spoilered anyway just in case: Don't play conservatively - that is, don't just hide and wait. You need to keep moving or you'll spend an hour in the same section getting frustrated that you're not making progress. Take risks and play with forward momentum.

Incidentally The Last Guardian is, so far, absolutely majestic.
Old 08-10-2017, 03:10 PM
Merry Christmas, Ma

I've been playing Darkest Dungeon off and on, and definitely get the sense I've only scratched the surface.
Old 08-10-2017, 03:54 PM

Thinking about jumping into Torment: Tides of Numenera; I put some time into it last week. My problem with these games is that I always get paralyzed reading about build choices and whatnot. I should probably just play and roll with whatever I get. Not like the game would require min-maxing to beat.
Old 08-10-2017, 04:10 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Starting up Horizon: Zero Dawn for sure going to be at it for forever and a day...
Old 08-10-2017, 04:30 PM
New Video World is out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falselogic View Post
Starting up Horizon: Zero Dawn for sure going to be at it for forever and a day...
Criticism: They should call that Horizon: Zero Gameplay. MAN that game was dull for me.
Old 08-10-2017, 05:14 PM
contains words & diagrams

I don't want to alarm anyone so sit down before going on, but...

Breath of the Wild is a pretty good video game ya'll.
Old 08-10-2017, 08:08 PM
Serial Thread Killer

Ghosts n' Demons is a fan game that took seven years! Its very good. I can't get past level 4.
Old 08-10-2017, 09:35 PM
Outer Space Man

It's my very first playthrough of Dragon Quest 7! I'm about 40 hours in.
Old 08-10-2017, 10:11 PM
All are Santa Saturn

Not necessarily "just" beginning but I'm dipping my toe back into Overwatch after being gone for about 9 months. In a lot of ways, the game is a different beast than what I remember.
Old 08-11-2017, 05:36 AM
concentrate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
Thinking about jumping into Torment: Tides of Numenera; I put some time into it last week. My problem with these games is that I always get paralyzed reading about build choices and whatnot. I should probably just play and roll with whatever I get. Not like the game would require min-maxing to beat.
I just went with basically whatever and seems that I'm doing fine so far (I'm way past the first hub)
Old 08-11-2017, 05:39 AM
Overwhelmed by Absurdity

Quote:
Yeah, I'm with Olli. I didn't put a huge amount of effort in to building my character optimally and I still seemed to do just fine. I really enjoyed this game and the unique fantasy world it is set in. (Though sadly my desktop died and I haven't got back to this game since then.)
Old 08-11-2017, 12:20 PM
Safe Space

I'm trying Dragon Age: Origins.
Old 08-11-2017, 12:57 PM
Sudden chomper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ample Vigour View Post
I've been playing Darkest Dungeon off and on, and definitely get the sense I've only scratched the surface.
I think a run of Darkest Dungeon takes like 60 hours to complete. Are you playing on Radiant mode? If not, I'd seriously consider restarting, because I think it greatly reduces the grind and it sounds like you don't lose much in the process.

I'm starting to play Pyre. So far it's decent, but I can't say I'm hooked. Then again, it looks like the story is only just now getting into gear, because I'll be liberating my first team member soon.

I've also been playing Splatoon 2, which is also decent. Honestly, there's just something about the feel of this game that isn't natural for me. I think I'm slowly getting a handle on it, but while the art and music are amazing, I'm still not having the best time with it. It doesn't help that Nintendo gates like 90% of the content behind hours of leveling. I haven't given up yet, but it's disappointing after all the positive buzz the first game got.

Finally, I'm about 8 matches into BATTLEGROUNDS and that game is really something. The situations that game puts you into are unlike anything else I've ever experienced in a game. All of my games have been team games, which is super fun and a lot less stressful than playing solo would be (though still pretty stressful at times). I haven't won a game yet, but we've been doing all right for ourselves, despite never getting more than 3-4 kills as a team. It's really cool and I want to play more soon.
Old 08-11-2017, 01:13 PM
Bertolli?!?...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCBanjoMike View Post
Finally, I'm about 8 matches into BATTLEGROUNDS and that game is really something. The situations that game puts you into are unlike anything else I've ever experienced in a game. All of my games have been team games, which is super fun and a lot less stressful than playing solo would be (though still pretty stressful at times). I haven't won a game yet, but we've been doing all right for ourselves, despite never getting more than 3-4 kills as a team. It's really cool and I want to play more soon.
Solo PUBG may be stressful some of the time, but it's mostly just boring. It's a difficult game to recommend if you don't have friends to play it with.

On that note, I started up a TT-PUBG Discord channel a while ago. I should go dig up a link to that to put in the PUBG thread in Hardcore Awesome Forever...
Old 08-11-2017, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Büge View Post
I'm trying Dragon Age: Origins.
PC or console? They feel a bit different depending on where you play. I went through the PS3 version, which was more like playing a fantasy KOTOR, but I've also heard some of the tactical depth was nerfed in the console iterations.
Old 08-11-2017, 02:17 PM
Merry Christmas, Ma

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCBanjoMike View Post
I think a run of Darkest Dungeon takes like 60 hours to complete. Are you playing on Radiant mode? If not, I'd seriously consider restarting, because I think it greatly reduces the grind and it sounds like you don't lose much in the process.
Definitely on Radiant mode. No way was I going to do the long version of the game.

My Etrian Odyssey days came in handy, as I immediately thought of my adventurers as a big pool of position players and not an RPG party. Honestly this seems as close to an Advanced Heroquest sim as we're going to see on the PC.
Old 08-11-2017, 03:29 PM
Sudden chomper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ample Vigour View Post
Definitely on Radiant mode. No way was I going to do the long version of the game.
I'm happy for you. I started my game on the Vita before Radiant was an option and now I fear it will languish in purgatory forever. I'm 25 hours in, which is enough that I don't want to restart, except that ahead of me is another 40 hours - only every part of those 40 hours will be worse than what came before. Unless I get it into my head to start over on the PC, I have a feeling that my quest will end here. Note that I really enjoyed the time I spent with the game, and I went in knowing that it was pretty unlikely I'd ever finish it. But seeing that there's a better mode now, I feel a little twinge.
Old 08-11-2017, 03:32 PM

Suikoden 2 is one of the best games ever made
Old 08-11-2017, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJG View Post
I just started Xenoblade Chronicles 3D this week...I'm ready to start up the next epic RPG.
It's epic indeed.

Something important to know going in: enemy levels are *really* important. The difference in level between an enemy and you factors heavily into your hit %. You'll constantly whiff against an enemy that's, oh, six levels above yours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chud_666 View Post
Alien Isolation. Tense!
No joke, that game broke me. I just couldn't stand the stress and had to bail. What I played was super-cool, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhair60 View Post
Incidentally The Last Guardian is, so far, absolutely majestic.
I think that's the perfect word for it.
Old 08-11-2017, 08:00 PM
Safe Space

Quote:
PC or console? They feel a bit different depending on where you play. I went through the PS3 version, which was more like playing a fantasy KOTOR, but I've also heard some of the tactical depth was nerfed in the console iterations.
Just the PC version. I don't own consoles.
Old 08-11-2017, 08:21 PM
This Guy

I'm starting up Super Mario Sunshine. As in I put it in and found out the batteries in my wavebird are dead. I was also thinking of starting up Chrono Trigger again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadrome View Post
Suikoden 2 is one of the best games ever made
It really is.
Old 08-12-2017, 11:29 AM
120 Days

So. Alien. I love how this game looks and sounds. A+ retro futurism.

But: after a few deaths by alien, I'm mostly annoyed. I'm not a fan of the invincible opponent/run hide genre. But i love aliens! Bah!
Old 08-12-2017, 12:17 PM
This Guy

Since my Wii is non-functional so no Mario Sunshine, I started playing Chrono Trigger for the first time since the DS port came out (nearly 10 years ago).

Aside from just being one of my favorite games, Chrono Trigger is a game that I have very specific memories associated with. And not playing it for nearly a decade after making a point to beat it about once a year for about a decade before that is making those memories all the more strong. Just hearing that amazing opening music and I am back sitting on a broken bunk bed with my little brother playing it for the first time. It is really hitting those nostalgia buttons this time. My brother is barely a year younger than me and since my mom had a 1 hour of video games a day rule we used to play a lot of longer games together. The two of us beat tons of SNES and PS1 rpgs alternating every hour. It has been a long time since we did that.
Old 08-12-2017, 12:53 PM
is Earnest

Dungeoneers Quest on iOS. It's a really basic dungeon crawling game that costs a buck. It's a EO/Wizardry style game. There are just enough interesting race & class abilities that I already feel a little sucked into it.
Old 08-12-2017, 02:02 PM
All are Santa Saturn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rascally Badger View Post
since my mom had a 1 hour of video games a day rule
Ouch. At my house, provided homework and chores were done, my mom let me play video games for as little or as long as I wanted, until bedtime during the week and just to whenever on the weekends.

I now wonder if that's where my tendency to binge games comes from. Those "You've been playing for a while; consider taking a break" messages that you sometimes see still elicit a chuckle.
Old 08-12-2017, 02:37 PM
oh my car

I popped in Super Princess Peach 'cause I was curious about it. It looks and feels a lot like Yoshi's Island, but it lacks the earlier game's tight and confident design.
Old 08-12-2017, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rascally Badger View Post
Since my Wii is non-functional so no Mario Sunshine, I started playing Chrono Trigger for the first time since the DS port came out (nearly 10 years ago).

Aside from just being one of my favorite games, Chrono Trigger is a game that I have very specific memories associated with. And not playing it for nearly a decade after making a point to beat it about once a year for about a decade before that is making those memories all the more strong. Just hearing that amazing opening music and I am back sitting on a broken bunk bed with my little brother playing it for the first time. It is really hitting those nostalgia buttons this time. My brother is barely a year younger than me and since my mom had a 1 hour of video games a day rule we used to play a lot of longer games together. The two of us beat tons of SNES and PS1 rpgs alternating every hour. It has been a long time since we did that.
Never had a rule like that, but playing games with my older brother are some of the best memories I have. We'd take turns, read out all the dialogue with character voices straight out of anime dubs and have a fantastic time. I did this from my earliest memories up until I moved out of my Mom's place.

Major nostalgia.