The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 06-15-2017, 08:33 PM
Crazy Old Bird

Default Miitopia: Role Playing Gal Pals

There's a demo up on the 3DS eShop!

It's a combination of Tomodachi Life and a simplistic RPG. The actual game bits seem really slight, but it's a lot of fun watching little me have an adventure with little husband. They took out the wedding mechanic from Tomodachi Life and replaced it with an shounen bromance friendship system, where your whole party seems ready to kiss at any moment. It's a decent compromise after the gay marriage scandal with Tomodachi, and honestly seems more fun.

If you liked Tomodachi Life, this seems like a neat twist on it. If you thought that game looked dull, this will be just as dull, if not more so.
Old 06-15-2017, 08:51 PM
King Of Space-Time

I made teg a Cook for companion #1 and Yahtzee of Zero Puncutation fame the Dark Lord.
Old 06-16-2017, 02:33 AM
Programmed to Jingle

The kingdom is imperilled by Bobby Hill, and Professor Layton and Ellen Ripley are working with me to save the world.
Old 06-16-2017, 08:18 AM
Bertolli?!?...

This looked kind of cute on the stream, but I've never really engaged with these kind of things on my 3DS previously. How did ya'll get the people to populate these fake kingdoms, and what would it do for mine with no pool to draw from initially?
Old 06-16-2017, 08:49 AM
Crazy Old Bird

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBear View Post
This looked kind of cute on the stream, but I've never really engaged with these kind of things on my 3DS previously. How did ya'll get the people to populate these fake kingdoms, and what would it do for mine with no pool to draw from initially?
If you turn SpotPass on, it will pull other users' Miis from the cloud to become NPCs. My village had a ne'er-do-well Gollum, Lucy van Pelt, her son Mr. Feeny, and Zelda, who was in love with Peter Griffin. At certain points the game gives you a "survey" where you choose Miis you like, and then asks you to fit a Mii to a particular personality trait (mine asked "which Mii looks like they love to eat"). I assume said surveys assist in ranking Miis and giving them roles when they end up in someone's game.
Old 06-16-2017, 09:12 AM
Programmed to Jingle

CROSS POST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
The demo for Miitopia, the Tomodachi Life/Find Mii dungeon crawler went up today.

In my town, Daria, from the cartoon Daria, is madly in love with Billy Mays, until the lord of darkness, Bobby Hill, attacked the town and stole everyone's faces.

Game makes a very memorable first impression.

Update: Professor Layton asked me if I farted when I complimented his haircut. We've got a Game of the Year contender here.

Second Update: Professor Layton has fallen in love with me because I gave him a banana.
Following that, Professor Layton and I abandoned our quest to defeat the evil Bobby Hill in favour of going on an bromantic cruise, leaving Ellen Ripley behind at the hotel.

The Games very slight, mechanically (scarcely more going on than in Find Mii, but I can't remember the last time I was this emotionally or narratively invested in any RPG.
Old 06-16-2017, 12:50 PM
Obsession or passion?

I've built up a hefty list of Mii characters on different systems since the Wii days.

If anything, I don't know which characters to choose. Do I go with some favorites, or do I give lesser used Miis a chance to shine?
Old 06-19-2017, 10:11 AM
Shill for Big Cow DNA

Went through the whole demo (which has a lot of content, it's neat!) and had a great time. Definitely going on my list of things to pick up when it comes out next month.
Old 06-25-2017, 09:52 AM
Obsession or passion?

Yeah, this is instabuy for me when it comes out. Combining the flexibility of Mii characters with RPG mechanics in a humorous setting is brilliant and feels like something which could have been made in the Wii era.
Old 07-11-2017, 11:29 PM
Shill for Big Cow DNA

Anyone know if this will have multiple save slots? I'm debating getting the physical version so Lumber and I can share, but wasn't sure if having multiple campaigns is even an option.
Old 07-15-2017, 02:14 PM
Obsession or passion?

Online info indicates the Japanese release had only 1 save slot and it's unlikely there has been any change to that.
Old 07-28-2017, 02:40 PM
Crazy Old Bird

Got it! It is very cute.

FYI, some of the reviews out there spoil a particular point in the game. You'd think this game doesn't have much worth spoiling, which is probably why it's discussed in the reviews, but nevertheless it's something I wish I hadn't known going in.

What I have read indicates that the demo is a pretty good representation of the game. The gameplay loop there holds for pretty much the entire 40 hours, so if you found that boring you probably won't like more of it. I'm still very much delighted by watching my Miis play an RPG.
Old 07-28-2017, 03:54 PM
Programmed to Jingle

The game lets me ship Ellen Ripley with Waluigi, and hell yes I am going to do that. Obviously.

But the game chose of its own volition to also ship Mario and Tracer.
Old 07-28-2017, 04:39 PM
Crazy Old Bird

Octo I want to make your Mii the beloved king but I can't decide who your daughter should be.
Old 07-28-2017, 04:45 PM
Programmed to Jingle

I've often considered Oprah Winfrey to be like a daughter to me.
Old 07-28-2017, 05:01 PM
Crazy Old Bird

Got it. Her suitors will be Mr. Pringles and Prince Utz Girl.

...Is there no way to make Miis from inside Miitopia? I had to quit out of the game to make Utz Girl and do a whole section over.
Old 07-29-2017, 02:34 AM
Obsession or passion?

My copy is still in transit so I can't check, but I think there was at least in the demo? If not, you should be able to use another app on another device like Wii U or Miitomo on a smartphone and copy the QR code from there.
Old 07-29-2017, 05:55 AM
Programmed to Jingle

Reggie Filles-Aime is trying to court Dr. Robotniks daughter, Allison Brie.

Meanwhile, Waluigi saw me buy Ellen Ripley. Teddy bear and this has caused strife Among the team.

This game is amazing
Old 07-29-2017, 06:38 AM
Crazy Old Bird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sami View Post
My copy is still in transit so I can't check, but I think there was at least in the demo? If not, you should be able to use another app on another device like Wii U or Miitomo on a smartphone and copy the QR code from there.
You can when creating a party member, but not while casting other roles. It's a weird oversight.
Old 07-29-2017, 06:27 PM
Crazy Old Bird

FYI, MP Candies level up the more you eat them. I had been conserving them, but maybe I should eat them every chance I get?

Also teg won't stop buying bananas
Old 07-29-2017, 07:18 PM
Shill for Big Cow DNA

I'm enjoying seeing more of the personality quirks in the full version.

Is there any way to sell old equipment?
Old 07-29-2017, 07:51 PM
Crazy Old Bird

I don't think you can sell old equipment, I think you're just supposed to collect it. I'm in the second "world" and money's been pretty easy to come by, though.
Old 07-30-2017, 10:08 AM
Crazy Old Bird

Could have done without this monster:
Old 07-30-2017, 10:13 AM
King Of Space-Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprite View Post
FYI, MP Candies level up the more you eat them. I had been conserving them, but maybe I should eat them every chance I get?

Also teg won't stop buying bananas
Did you make teg a cook as well? Maybe that influences it?
Old 07-30-2017, 11:10 AM
Programmed to Jingle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprite View Post
Could have done without this monster:
GAME OF THE YEAR!
Old 07-30-2017, 07:10 PM
Crazy Old Bird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daikaiju View Post
Did you make teg a cook as well? Maybe that influences it?
She's a Cautious Imp, so one of those variables may affect it. My husband is a Cook but always buys what he says he will.

Also, pro-tip: If you give a cruise ticket to someone rooming alone (or rooming with someone mad at them), they'll sell the ticket. I've gotten 500 or 1,000 gold from it. The relationship points are probably more valuable, but the extra gold is good when I'm just short of a purchase. This also means rock-paper-scissors isn't worth the risk compared to the roulette.

I can't quite figure out why I love this game so much, but I do. I'd be pissed at any other RPG with such minimal interaction, but something about going on an adventure with my husband and best friend and the McElroy brothers and Zoidberg makes up for so much else.
Old 07-31-2017, 11:40 AM
Crazy Old Bird

I love the bestiary in this game so much.

Old 07-31-2017, 03:46 PM
King Of Space-Time

I made teg a Cool Cook. Haven't unlocked other jobs yet. Anko is the Party Thief.
Old 07-31-2017, 04:19 PM
Obsession or passion?

Finally got my copy, and so far the game lives up great to the expectations set by the demo. There are so many great things about this game, like the music. There seem to be a lot of tracks and many of them are very catchy, which might not be the first thing you expect from a comedic RPG.

The random blurbs of the characters remind me of Theatrhythm Final Fantasy, meanwhile the map graphics remind me of Super Mario Challenge in Mario Maker. This was actually made before the Mario Maker port, so maybe they reused that part of the engine for SMM?

One other thing, this is a game where you don't have to be constantly active, so if you want to do something like have a cup of coffee while playing a game, Miitopia is great for that too. It's one of those games where you can at times play mostly by observing.
Old 07-31-2017, 05:52 PM
King Of Space-Time

Visiting the Nintendo Fan gives you arcade tickets for most amiibo, and Mii outfits for Nintendo properties

Tags
find mii dx , tomodachi rpg