The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 06-05-2017, 03:07 PM

Monster Hunter XX is getting a Switch release, they can't be that gunshy, probably just that contracts out to external teams were given a wait and see approach for the Switch given that the WiiU had not turned out so good.
Old 06-05-2017, 03:11 PM
Come, noble knights!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanboymaster View Post
Monster Hunter XX is getting a Switch release, they can't be that gunshy, probably just that contracts out to external teams were given a wait and see approach for the Switch given that the WiiU had not turned out so good.
Well, that's Monster Hunter and the Switch is a portable gaming platform, of course they're gonna release that. But just 'cuz their multiplayer hunting game does well, it doesn't mean they think their other games will.
Old 06-05-2017, 03:30 PM

"It's a portable so it will definitely get monster hunter" is a guarantee I am guessing Sony wishes they had had.
Old 06-05-2017, 03:39 PM
Outer Space Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daikaiju View Post
Please tell me they're redubbing 8. PLEASE.
In the announcement today Capcom highlighted that the game has "famous" voice acting, so I guarantee that they're not.
Old 06-05-2017, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost from Spelunker View Post
It won't because one of those versions is for Saturn, and people are deathly afraid of emulating that system.
Not without good reason, of course. That machine is a mess to emulate properly. SSF does a good job of it, but it's taken quite a while to get there.

This reminds me that I should probably sell my Saturn version of MM8. I don't think the extra stuff is worth giving up the approximately $200 it sells for; I can be more than happy with the PSX copy.
Old 06-05-2017, 03:59 PM
We just don't know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki View Post
I'm ecstatic that 9 and 10 are getting freed from last gen jail. I was worried they'd never see the light of day again.
Yes this, especially because I haven't played them yet
Old 06-05-2017, 04:14 PM
Come, noble knights!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanboymaster View Post
"It's a portable so it will definitely get monster hunter" is a guarantee I am guessing Sony wishes they had had.
The Vita's certainly had plenty of MonHun-likes trying to fill in the Jhen Mohran-sized crater Monster Hunter left behind when it jumped ship to 3DS.
Old 06-05-2017, 04:56 PM
All are Santa Saturn

I'll be getting this because of course I am.

Also: Mega Man 9 is good, Mega Man 10 is good, Mega Man 7 has a few shining moments but is very meh, and Mega Man 8 is basically flatulence.

But I'll play them all anyway. My biggest anticipation for this is in the remixed challenges. If they're as good as the MMLC challenges, I will be a happy snowflake.
Old 06-05-2017, 04:58 PM
Armor Guardian

I'm fond of all four of these games.

Do I get a cookie?
Old 06-05-2017, 05:02 PM
whatever it takes

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT-55J View Post
I'm fond of all four of these games.

Do I get a cookie?
Yes, but only 3/4 of the cookie is edible
Old 06-05-2017, 05:02 PM
All are Santa Saturn

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetManMas View Post
Given that anybody who's owned a new Sony or Microsoft console in the past 10 years (or hell, even a Wii or Wii U if you don't mind ports) has a plethora of Street Fighter options to choose from, I really don't know who Ultra Street Fighter II is for other than super fans or people really desperate for a Capcom fighter on their shiny new Switch.

I mean, 3DS had Super Street Fighter IV on it. As a launch title.
*raises hand*

Bought it day one. Enjoying the hell out of it.

Anyway, the only reason I'd like to see the MMLC games on Switch is so I could use my Pro controller.
Old 06-05-2017, 05:20 PM
King Of Space-Time

Old 06-05-2017, 05:40 PM
Little Waves

If they're still vying for authenticity to the original releases like Digital Eclipse did for the first Legacy Collection, altering the voice acting would run counter to that. It's part of the game's history, for better or worse.
Old 06-05-2017, 05:46 PM
Wimpy Gamer

The aesthetics really go a long way toward making Mega Man 8 feel like the black sheep it is often derided as being. There's a reason why they went back to the basics with 9 and 10.

Mega Man 7? Well. Maybe if they fixed Wily Capsule 7. That boss alone ruined any sort of sentiment that I may had held toward that entry.
Old 06-05-2017, 05:53 PM
Little Waves

Taken on its own, Mega Man 8 is beautiful, though.
Old 06-05-2017, 05:58 PM
Half-Ninja

Mega Man 7 is super impressive for having been made in 3 months. A lot of the problems could have been alleviated with a larger screen size or smaller sprites (that way Slash Man and the Wily Saucer would be dodgeable) and if enemies took less damage.

Mega Man 8 pretty much introduces a ton of gimmicks (like snowboarding and the "Gradius" sections) that just feel anti-Mega Man and is a worse game for it. Like, more than half of the Wily stages are gimmicky instead of actual platforming.

I guess what I'm saying is that 7 is a better Mega Man game than 8.
Old 06-05-2017, 05:59 PM

I'm not sure what you'd want out of a Mega Man 8 redub, it's not like the plot demands better treatment.
Old 06-05-2017, 06:44 PM
Come, noble knights!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kishi View Post
Taken on its own, Mega Man 8 is beautiful, though.
Damn right it is. It may not be a particularly great Mega Man, but along with its brother X4 it was an excellent showpiece for what big budget 2D could pull off on the new consoles. A showpiece that a lot of people likely passed over 'cuz it wasn't a janky-fugly early 3D game.
Old 06-05-2017, 06:46 PM
Christmas Action Returns

USgamer stated that Capcom Japan is developing this internally.
Old 06-05-2017, 07:10 PM
poisonous thread snake

I'm always surprised people have such low opinions of Mega Man 8. I think that, removed from the Mega Man Scale of Excellence, it's much better than its reputation.

I'd even say that Mega Man 8 is a better 2D platformer than Mega Man Legends is a 3D action-adventure, for whatever that comparison is worth.
Old 06-05-2017, 10:14 PM
Come, noble knights!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghosttaster View Post
I'm always surprised people have such low opinions of Mega Man 8. I think that, removed from the Mega Man Scale of Excellence, it's much better than its reputation.
The game is front-loaded with JUMP JUMP SLIDE SLIDE being a potential barrier of anti-fun in Frost Man's stage, one that returns in the first 'Doctoh Wally' stage.
Old 06-05-2017, 10:18 PM
Wimpy Gamer

Even if Mega Man 8 doesn't quite feel like a "Mega Man game" (whatever that may mean) its a wonderful game and stands tall above the mediocrity of 4 and 6.

It's a shame that Mega Man & Bass (SNES) isn't included in this package. And it's very likely that we won't be getting the Saturn version of Mega Man 8. But hey, you take what you can get, and its worth the price of entry for Mega Man 9 alone. 10 didn't sit well with me simply because of how it displaced much of the challenge onto combat in favor of the colorful/inventive set-pieces and platforming of 9.
Old 06-05-2017, 10:28 PM
King Of Space-Time

That damn soccer ball weapon was crap.
Old 06-05-2017, 10:41 PM
TARANTUL

You take that back about 6.

It has its issues but rush armor is one of the best upgrades in the series.
Old 06-05-2017, 10:43 PM
Come, noble knights!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belmont View Post
Even if Mega Man 8 doesn't quite feel like a "Mega Man game" (whatever that may mean) its a wonderful game and stands tall above the mediocrity of 4 and 6.
Personally I liked Mega Man 8. I'm just saying I get that there's certain aspects of the game that could turn off others, that damn snowboard bit being a particular pain in the ass.
Old 06-05-2017, 10:48 PM
All are Santa Saturn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belmont View Post
This is such an bizarre statement I'm not even sure how to process it.
Old 06-05-2017, 10:49 PM
Christmas Action Returns

I find 6 to be the most innovative out of the final three NES games personally thanks to the Rush Armors, but hey, everyone has their own feelings about ranking these games.

Like me, who doesn't care a hoot for any game on this collection!
Old 06-05-2017, 11:10 PM
BAG

Yep, it sure is fun to keep going into the menu, watching the Rush animation, doing a thing, and then going back into the menu to use the other Rush thing.
Why they didn't make Rush abilities permanent for the rest of the game and accessible with controller+button combinations, I wish I knew. Is Capcom that obsessed with Mega Man being this 70's primitive video game character who has to go into menus to do anything younger game characters can do?

And as for you, Mega Man 7, whenever I feel like showing mercy on you I remember the greatest crime against gamers you committed. Not the final boss, but the introduction of one of the least appealing characters committed to silicon, Auto.
Old 06-05-2017, 11:10 PM
Wimpy Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by four-so View Post
This is such an bizarre statement I'm not even sure how to process it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogue View Post
Mega Man 8 pretty much introduces a ton of gimmicks (like snowboarding and the "Gradius" sections) that just feel anti-Mega Man and is a worse game for it. Like, more than half of the Wily stages are gimmicky instead of actual platforming.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghosttaster View Post

I'd even say that Mega Man 8 is a better 2D platformer than Mega Man Legends is a 3D action-adventure, for whatever that comparison is worth.
Old 06-05-2017, 11:24 PM
All are Santa Saturn

Mega Man 8 "removed from the Mega Man Scale of Excellence" may be serviceable but these games - or any games, really - don't exist in a vacuum. Consideration of MM8 in isolation so that it can be viewed favorably isn't a particularly compelling viewpoint and really functions more as strike against it.

Tags
actually madhairs thread , bass is not a fish , capcom , crapcom , dakta wowee , fudd light , jump jump , literal kiss on the mouth , literal slap in the face , little metal boy , mega man , non-nintendo products , on my dreams , rereleases , slap man's stage , slide slide