The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about books

Old 08-31-2015, 03:52 AM
till the sheriff stops by

Default You saw the movie. Now read the book... of the movie. The novelizations thread.

I'm only starting this thread due to one of the all time great moments in movie novelizations. The book is Gremlins. Basically chapter... let's say 15 ends with Pete promising not to forget the 3 rules for Mogwai.

Quote:
CHAPTER 16

Pete forgot.

CHAPTER 17

On the downside, there's this whole backstory about them being aliens and there being conversations between the Mogwai which are translated for the benefit of the reader. Weird.
Old 08-31-2015, 05:31 AM
Mystery Contraption

Pronouns: He

The novelization of Gremlins 2 handled that scene where the Gremlins infest the theatre/your VCR by having the Brain Gremlin kidnap the writer in order to complain about the alterations and compliment his fellow gremlins on their screen presence.

There was also the novelization of Mars Attacks which removed all the comedy from the movie and just made it a horror-focused alien invasion story.

And there was also the adaptations of Doom, which started off being fairly faithful to the game and gradually became deeply weird.
Old 08-31-2015, 05:36 AM
Funko Superfan

Pronouns: He/Him

If anything that only made it better.

Old 08-31-2015, 05:41 AM
Out Of Warranty

Pronouns: He/him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
And there was also the adaptations of Doom, which started off being fairly faithful to the game and gradually became deeply weird.
The mind boggles, since the 2nd game ends with Romero's head in a pike. How can it get weirder?
Old 08-31-2015, 05:46 AM
Mystery Contraption

Bizarre Mormon Propoganda amidst a post-apocalyptic Utah is not as deep as the Deep Weird goes, trust me.
Old 08-31-2015, 07:37 AM
Better be the real thing.

On my shelf, I have Fred Saberhagen's novelization of Bram Stoker's Dracula.
Old 08-31-2015, 07:42 AM
Out Of Warranty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Scott View Post
On my shelf, I have Fred Saberhagen's novelization of Bram Stoker's Dracula.
Oh, you're just pulling our legs.

*googles*
Goddamit. I also see the author has a host of Holmes/Dracula novels, so I'm kinda tempted to pay the .01 + Shipping to see how bad this is.
Old 08-31-2015, 07:42 AM
For Great Apollo Justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Unusual View Post
On the downside, there's this whole backstory about them being aliens
I'm 99% convinced someone at Illumination Entertainment read this book as a kid, because there's also a section about them being responsible for all the world's great disasters (I think including the Apollo 1 fire or the Challenger... probably the former, given the timing). Very reminiscent of the opening sequence in Minions.

The best were the novelizations that were clearly based on early versions of the shooting scripts. So you had the whole "Bruce wears a ski mask and rides a horse to stop Joker at Central Park" bit that was cut out of Batman, and the Dick Tracy novel doesn't give away the Blank's identity to make sure that kids still had to see the movie.

(Rocketeer's novel was by Peter David, I think, and includes hints of the Doc Savage backstory. )
Old 08-31-2015, 08:06 AM
This Guy

Before I saw the movie, I read Steven Spielberg Presents: A Robert Zemekis Film: Back to the Future Part 2 A Novel by Craig Shaw Gardner, Based on a Screenplay by Bob Zale, Story by Robert Zemekis and Bob Gale several times. I don't know what happened to that book, but if I encountered it again I don't know how I wouldn't read it immediately.
Old 08-31-2015, 08:10 AM
For Great Apollo Justice

Craig Shaw Gardner apparently made more money than you can imagine off novelizations in the late 80s - he wrote Batman and Batman Returns.
Old 08-31-2015, 08:36 AM
King Of Space-Time

I tell you this, the novelization for Heartbeeps was damn excellent. Especially considering the movie sucked rocks. Giant Indiana Jones crushing boulder-sized rocks.
Old 08-31-2015, 08:39 AM
Better be the real thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rascally Badger View Post
Before I saw the movie, I read Steven Spielberg Presents: A Robert Zemekis Film: Back to the Future Part 2 A Novel by Craig Shaw Gardner, Based on a Screenplay by Bob Zale, Story by Robert Zemekis and Bob Gale several times. I don't know what happened to that book, but if I encountered it again I don't know how I wouldn't read it immediately.
Speaking of which, Ryan North has a lot to say about the first movie's novelization.
Old 08-31-2015, 09:39 AM
Mystery Contraption

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Scott View Post
The universe has given me a wonderful gift this day.
Old 08-31-2015, 11:51 AM
Phantastic Oil

Pronouns: He/Him

When I was in elementary school, one of my friends had the novelization of the Stallone move Cliffhanger. One of the chapters, in its entirely, was something like this (going from memory), after he had fallen off a cliff at the end of the previous chapter:

CHAPTER 12

Code:
Ahhhh
       hhhhh
               hhhhh
                       hhhhh
                               hhhhh
                                       hhhhh
                                               hhhhh
                                                       hhhhh
                                                               hhhhh!
Old 09-10-2015, 01:28 AM
Can't peeve the Sheev

I've never actually read the novelization of Star Trek: The Motion Picture written by none other than Gene Roddenberry, but I know that's somewhat famous for a certain bit where it describes Spock's thoughts:

Quote:
Jim! Goodbye, my…my t’hy’la. This is the last time I will permit myself to think of you or even your name again.
Which had a rather lenghty footnote attached to it:

Quote:
Editor’s note – The human concept of friend is most nearly duplicated in Vulcan thought by the term ”t’hy’la”, which can also mean ”brother” and ”lover”. Spock’s recollection (from which this chapter is drawn) is that it was a most difficult moment for him since he did indeed consider Kirk to have become his brother. However, because ”t’hy’la” can be used to mean ”lover” and since Kirk’s and Spock’s friendship was unusually close, this has led to some speculation over whether or not they had actually indeed become lovers. At our request, Admiral Kirk supplied the following comments on this subject:

”I was never aware of this ‘lovers’ rumor, although I have been told that Spock encountered it several times. Apparently, he had always dismissed it with his characteristic lifting of his right eyebrow, which usually connoted some combination of surprise, disbelief, and/or annoyance. As for myself… I have always found my best gratification in that creature called woman. Also, I would not like to be thought of as being so foolish that I would select a love partner who came into sexual heat only once every seven years.”
It's interesting to see Roddenberry actually making an "official" comment on the Kirk/Spock-pairing in this way, and that it is at least somewhat vauge, with a bit of leeway for different interpretations. I like to imagine that Roddenberry didn't want to upset any fans, since he knew how important they had been in keeping Star Trek alive.
Old 09-10-2015, 03:11 AM
Rawrther.

I really liked the novelization to Batman Begins. It had fewer Tumbler jokes!
Old 09-10-2015, 03:53 AM
linktr.ee/stuartgipp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daikaiju View Post
I tell you this, the novelization for Heartbeeps was damn excellent. Especially considering the movie sucked rocks. Giant Indiana Jones crushing boulder-sized rocks.
Creased up laughing at the word "Heartbeeps". I'm laughing again now writing it out, reading it again, swirling it around in my head. I've never seen this but I hope it's about what it sounds like.

Anyway, my holy grail remains the Blues Brothers novel, based on the phone-book length original script and filled with all manner of info that's not in the movie. It's my all-time favourite film and I would kill for a copy of that novelisation.

Great thread idea
Old 09-10-2015, 04:21 AM

Thanks. BTW, there is now a group creating audio books of novelizations on youtube. If you wanted to see the first 5 minutes of Videodrome take 20 minutes, then here you are.

They've done a lot including the Terminator, A Star Is Born, Cat People, Gus, SpaceCamp, The Jerk, and most recently, Desperately Seeking Susan.

When Gremlins comes up, I'm totally listening.

BTW, check out their selection here.
Old 09-10-2015, 04:29 AM
GASP

Pronouns: She/Her

The novelization of Total Recall was written by Piers Anthony and therefore had a bunch of quippy puns! The one I remember best is when Quaid grabbed a jackhammer to use as a weapon, inquiring, "Am I boring you?"
Old 09-10-2015, 05:40 AM

Ha!

End communication.
Old 09-10-2015, 03:14 PM
This way up

I can't see the word "novelisation" without thinking of Terrance Dicks.

86 Doctor Who novelisations! That's a lot.
Old 09-11-2015, 02:55 AM
linktr.ee/stuartgipp

if anyone has the blues brothers novel please sell me it thanks xxx
Old 09-11-2015, 08:21 AM
It's dog eat dog

Pronouns: he/him

I read that same Gremlins novelization. I remember it opens with a detailed account of the cosmic backstory of the Mogwai, and why Gizmo genetically is the only one who isn't an asshole. It felt like such a wealth of extra, much-needed information at the time.

My entry for a fourth-grade talent show was a self-written, self-illustrated novelization of King's Quest V, so in other words it read like a hint book. I actually stood up in front of the intermediate classes and, while I didn't read it out loud, I did really awkwardly explain what it was. I still have it in a box somewhere.
Old 09-11-2015, 08:30 AM
linktr.ee/stuartgipp

Quote:
Originally Posted by taosterman View Post
My entry for a fourth-grade talent show was a self-written, self-illustrated novelization of King's Quest V, so in other words it read like a hint book. I actually stood up in front of the intermediate classes and, while I didn't read it out loud, I did really awkwardly explain what it was. I still have it in a box somewhere.
Have you read the excellent King's Quest Companion? Because that's what it is; "novelisations" of the games in the series.

See also the Leisure Suit Larry Companion, written as a conversation between Larry and Al Lowe.
Old 09-11-2015, 08:33 AM
It's dog eat dog

Pronouns: he/him

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhair60 View Post
Have you read the excellent King's Quest Companion? Because that's what it is; "novelisations" of the games in the series.
I haven't, but I had the Space Quest Companion (which was also pretty great), and given 9-year-old psychology I probably just decided to do the exact same thing.
Old 09-12-2015, 04:34 PM
Metaphysical organ dealer

R.L. Stine wrote a novelization of Spaceballs (you can probably guess its proper name) that I read over and over as a kid. I ought to look for it some day and see how he dealt with things like the Virgin Alarm.
Old 09-22-2015, 05:07 PM
so exciting!

Default the novelization of the filmification of a video game

there was a novelization of mortal kombat annihilation that i remember liking more than the movie because shiva had a fight with raiden instead of just running into a room and having a cage crush her or whatever. i was in fifth grade so it's likely the novel was pretty terrible, but so was the movie so whatever
Old 09-22-2015, 05:20 PM
Mystery Contraption

I had a novelization of Mortal Kombat the video game, written by Jeff Rovin.

It... took some liberties.
Old 09-22-2015, 09:19 PM
King Of Space-Time

Quote:

Exhausted, Scorpion gazes at the destruction he helped cause and wonders why he chose to fight. Was there another way?

Standing on the cliff, the answers seem to escape him. He only knows that he'll fight Sub-Zero again before he finds his answer.

How long will he keep on fighting? How long will his pain last? Maybe only the Scorpion Spear on his hand knows for sure...
Old 09-23-2015, 12:21 AM
Out Of Warranty

Quote:

Scorpion/Sub-zero OTP 4ever