The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about TV and film

Old 09-12-2018, 11:48 PM

It makes me sad that we'll now never see President Lex Luthor as a movie plot line since that story looks like an upgrade to our current lot in life IRL.

Final Crisis, or really just any Crisis would be pretty dope. The Multiverse is not *that* confusing, and is honestly one of DC's strongest points. I really don't know why we don't have one-off DC elseworld tales movies already like gaslight Batman or whatever famous story lines they could mine. You could do a bunch of those and then string them together into a Crisis storyline and that would be friggin' primo theater.
Old 09-13-2018, 12:16 PM
Out Of Warranty

Pronouns: He/him

Quote:
Originally Posted by WisteriaHysteria View Post
It makes me sad that we'll now never see President Lex Luthor as a movie plot line since that story looks like an upgrade to our current lot in life IRL
I loved that plotline, because Luthor as President makes a lot of sense, and it makes an even better foil for Superman or a lot of reasons. But I remember that at the time it was a common complain, even among my genre savvy friends, that the plot was very "unrealistic" because there was no way that, even with good PR, the people would vote for a supervillain for President.

Oops.
Old 09-13-2018, 12:17 PM
oh my car

Pronouns: he/him

Now we know that there's no way we'd elect a competent supervillain.
Old 09-13-2018, 12:27 PM
120 Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bongo View Post
The system works!
Old 09-13-2018, 12:32 PM
Find Your Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bongo View Post
Chemo for President!

Make America Glow Again!
Old 09-13-2018, 12:37 PM
Mystery Contraption

Pronouns: He

If we’re going to elect any supervillain to the office of President, I kind of feel like it should be The Clock King.

Kind of feel like he’d be really good at it.
Old 09-13-2018, 12:42 PM
Mystery Contraption

... oh great, now I’m going to spend the rest of my day building the perfect fantasy Presidential Cabinent made entirely out of supervillains.
Old 09-13-2018, 12:47 PM
Out Of Warranty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
If we’re going to elect any supervillain to the office of President, I kind of feel like it should be The Clock King.

Kind of feel like he’d be really good at it.
At least the trains would arrive in time?
Old 09-13-2018, 12:58 PM
Mystery Contraption

All I’m saying is that someone whose based his entire life around plans, and contingencies for those plans, and contingencies for those contingencies to the point he knows when to duck to avoid being kicked by Batman, probably has a good shot of knowing how to fix the problems the President is confronted with perfectly.

Not saying his tendency to try to murder people who go off schedule isn’t something of a deal-breaker, mind.

Poison Ivy would also be an easy choice for head of the EPA, if she could get the whole “homicide” thing under control.
Old 09-13-2018, 01:19 PM

I can't remember the details, but I think it was the Joker who was like, post 9/11, was all "Yo, I'm evil, but I'm not *that* evil" when fighting terrorists. Meanwhile we've got actual Nazis running the country right now, putting brown children in concentration camps. Earth X crossover movie when?
Old 09-13-2018, 01:35 PM
Senhor Member

That is a dangerous gag. (well, “dangerous”) I’m reminded of the time the Juggernaut cried over the fallen Twin Towers post-9/11 but like he already toppled them in 1991 with his boyfriend, Tom.
Old 09-13-2018, 02:08 PM
Space Prez

In 2001, Dr. Doom shed a single tear beneath his mask for the tragedy that happened on September 11th.
In 2003, Dr. Doom made a deal with a demon to return his beloved Valeria back to life, so that he could sacrifice her and turn her skin into mystic leather armor.
Old 09-13-2018, 02:14 PM
whatever it takes

He's a complicated man.
Old 09-13-2018, 02:18 PM
この世の最も無智なる者

Default black tom's shillelagh can't melt steel beams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizzarino Sbarro View Post
That is a dangerous gag. (well, “dangerous”) I’m reminded of the time the Juggernaut cried over the fallen Twin Towers post-9/11 but like he already toppled them in 1991 with his boyfriend, Tom.
rob liefeld and todd mcfarlane did 9/11
Old 09-13-2018, 02:20 PM
Find Your Reason

Then there's Magneto, mutant terrorist who has a body count and a portfolio of terrorist attacks to his name.

I mean if you're gonna stand there and weep in sympathy at least use your powers to help with the rescue operations, Mr. Master of Magenta Outfits.
Old 09-13-2018, 02:27 PM
Senhor Member

Ah, but you are not a true x-fan and misunderstand: that doesn’t count, and Professor Xavier is obviously worse for... some reason.

(I know he commits genocide in some licensed miniseries but in my opinion: I’ve never read it; doesn’t count)
Old 09-13-2018, 02:30 PM
Senhor Member

Thinking about the compressed timeline: everything in Modern Marvel takes place after the 2003 Invasion of Iraq. Half a million people died in London a few years ago in some Excalibur event, but that took place during Onslaught so that’s a runaway goats/dress situation and no one really remembers it.

I don’t know anything about atrocities in the DC universe, sorry for getting off-topic.
Old 09-13-2018, 02:33 PM
Find Your Reason

Well, at least in the early 90s (I don't know anything more recent) DC Comics had the fictional Middle Eastern country of "Qurac", whose main export was terrorists. Hell, even Cyborg Superman stopped one of their attacks on Bill Clinton's White House, that's how prevalent the concept was.
Old 09-13-2018, 02:34 PM
この世の最も無智なる者

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zef View Post
Then there's Magneto, mutant terrorist who has a body count and a portfolio of terrorist attacks to his name.
This is extra funny because literally contemporaneous to this 9/11 cleanup, Magneto was already under cover with the X-Men posing as a mutant named Xorn, as part of a secret long term plan to betray them and do this in New York, barely two years later:

In that 9/11 tribute special he has to be thinking, "I could top this."
Old 09-13-2018, 02:51 PM
Mystery Contraption

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zef View Post
Well, at least in the early 90s (I don't know anything more recent) DC Comics had the fictional Middle Eastern country of "Qurac", whose main export was terrorists. Hell, even Cyborg Superman stopped one of their attacks on Bill Clinton's White House, that's how prevalent the concept was.
Also, Infamously, DC has a crossover event going on involving Imperiex launching an attack on major cities, which included a demolished WTC on a double-page-spread. Released on September Tenth.

When it was reprinted, that panel was adjusted to show a demolished Lexcorp Tower instead, which was also a minor plot hole..

So they were kind of able to sidestep things that way.
Old 09-13-2018, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizzarino Sbarro View Post
That is a dangerous gag.
Oh, no doubt. The Joker's entire M.O. is that he's a literal terrorist, who terrorizes a faux New York and attempts slaughter orders of magnitude greater on a regular basis. But *these* terrorists over here, are the *real* animals... (it's because they're brown)
Old 09-13-2018, 05:46 PM
Senhor Member

btw it occurs to me that it’s realistic to discount or forget horrible crimes you’ve committed to maintain your image as better than some other real asshole.
Old 09-13-2018, 06:08 PM

Except most of these villains are the kinds of monsters that, when they see someone out there doing bad things, they think to themselves, "I can do worse!" And proceed to try to do so.
Old 09-13-2018, 06:52 PM
poisonous thread snake

Just sayin I'd vote for Lex Luthor if he were always rocking the purple/green color scheme.

Lotta purple and green villains, eh? Especially in the SA Marvels
Old 09-13-2018, 07:24 PM
????? LV 13 HP 292/

Pronouns: he, him, his

Quote:
Originally Posted by estragon View Post
If they don't actually want to recast anyone, they could easily make him a traditional core Justice League member by giving him John Stewart Green Lantern.

(Presumably all the recasting rumors and the looking at bringing in Michael B. Jordan rumors were nonsense, but let's just imagine that they're not, for the purpose of this post.)
Maybe it's the animated version that sticks in my mind but I really feel like John Stewart GL should be portrayed by someone a bit older. If we're fantasy casting - how about Idris Elba?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
Poison Ivy would also be an easy choice for head of the EPA, if she could get the whole “homicide” thing under control.
Well... Maybe she can do that after she's "negotiated" with the government of Flint.
Old 12-28-2018, 08:14 PM
120 Days

Aquaman.

I liked it. But MAN. Almost too much spectacle

Has narwhal violence and father Dagon. So movie of the year.
Old 01-11-2019, 12:49 PM
この世の最も無智なる者

I was lead to believe that Zack Snyder's Man of Steel was a trainwreck, so I never watched it at the time.

But honestly, coming to it late and looking back on it in the context of the glut of increasingly samey superhero movies in the past decade, I think that it's honestly one of the best? It's alongside Winter Soldier, Black Panther, and Into the Spider-Verse in that it's one of the rare superhero moveis where they also remembered that a movie probably should actually be about something instead of primarily functioning as a self-recursive advertisement advertisement for the intellectual property of a movie studio that happens to sometimes be entertaining.

It's an extremely confident movie structurally, essentially starting with an extended short film on Krypton that serves as a prologue, then proceeding nonlinearly. I think this structural experimentation probably was a big contributing factor to people feeling like it was taking itself too seriously, but personally I found the nonlinearity to be deftly presented and effective at establishing the character and background of Superman in this world.

It probably is the best depiction of super powers on film in any live action movie, avoiding the vast majority of MCU and DCEU's tendency toward looking and feeling like completely frictionless CGI that has been superimposed on the world of the movie. In Man of Steel, the foley work and computer effects are in synch with the world of the movie, lending a impressive sense of wonder and force to super human actions. Superman feels awesome, in a biblical sense.

I understand why a lot of people might not like it for what it's not. It's not a light hearted pop fun, and it's not the story of Superman as a character with a fully formed moral sensibility, always doing the right thing. So, I understand why people might not get what they wanted out of this.

It is also an origin story, and I understand that people are weary of origin stories, especially for a character as well trodden as Superman. That being said . . . Superman has a really good origin story! And I thought this was an effective variation on it.

I'll definitely concede that there are a lot of legitimate reasons not to like this movie, even if I loved it. But one thing I want to reject is the idea that this movie is entirely grim and gritty and never hopeful. The superhero movies of the last decade have produced a bajillion scenes that are variations of a climactic scene where someone needs to push something/someone in or out of a CGI portal/wormhole/energy generator. Most of these are forgettable, and they're something of a symbol of the frequently discussed "third act problems" in superhero movies.

So, I was surprised to see that Superman destroying the World Engine is both one of the most beautiful, one of the most hopeful, and one of the most thematically effectively variants on this overdone scene in the genre.

Old 01-11-2019, 12:58 PM
Born in the USA

Man of Steel is an okay movie that I don't think really works. BvS is the trainwreck.
Old 01-11-2019, 01:03 PM
この世の最も無智なる者

Weirdly, as a person not into DC, the first DCEU movie I watched was Batman vs. Superman, just because it was supposed to be so bad.

I thought it was actually kind of an interesting mess, at least more fun to watch than an average MCU movie because hey at least it was swinging for the fences in its own sometimes baffling ways, which is what lead me to watch the other DC movies. Basically nothing went in line with my expectations. (I thought Wonder Woman was kind of dull and rote and Man of Steel was amazing, for example.) With MCU movies I basically agree with the critical and fan consensus, but with the DC movies I feel like I must be watching something different than what other people are.
Old 01-11-2019, 02:51 PM
This Guy

I maintain that BvS is more interesting in its failures than most superhero movies are in success. I've long since accepted that I am in an extreme minority in just genuinely liking that movie.

For me, Man of Steel's one big sin is how it handles Pa Kent. I get what Snyder was trying to do there, but that is one sour note in what should be the heart of the movie.

Tags
*wonder woman riff* , badman v. subparman , batman very superman , chortle at joker's boner , comics , detective comics , dreary crap , fourth world problems , fuck batman , ice to see you , like batman but , swear to me , tales from the krypton , waiting for gadot , why did you say that name