The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Let's Play Already

Old 01-10-2019, 12:24 AM

Default No Exit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yama View Post
Of course, if you didn't do his subquest, you'd still have the IR Helm.
Good point. Of course, Professional Glow could also conceivably be useful to someone who never found the IR Helm in the first place, but since I did find it, it's a moot point.

As for the LP proper, let's hope that this guy doesn't think it's strange that a heavily-armored woman wielding a razor-sharp boomerang just popped out of the wine cellar.

He does not.

name: "What's my game? Oh, no my name! Yes, my name, I have one all right. Howell. Pleased to welcome you to The Thirsty Smush."
job: "Are you calling me a fob? Oh, no, my job! Why, I run the tavern you stand in at this very moment, that's right I do. The Thirsty Smush. An amazing name, innit? Edwards himself stops in here ever so often, course he just does it cause he feels bad he made me deaf and kinda blinded me like, with that trap of his. Heh, but I forgive the stubborn guy."
edwards: "Ed Wood? I don't know the fellow... Oh, you're askin' me about Edwards, fine leader of Wain. Well, leader, sort of, proud defender really. Those filthy creatures outside, you know them? He keeps them outside. Where their kind beeeelong. What a nifty moat Edwards built, I fell in once don't you know. Edwards may seem a little stubborn to some, but I genuinely like the fellow. Lots of zest in his bones, lots of zest. Did I mention he set off a trap next to my ear once? Well, he did."
trap: "Who has clap? Wassat you say? Oh, trap! Yes, you must be referring to those traps of Edwards'. He has them all around the peeeerimeter of Wain. Help keep the monsters at bay, they do. But, what's funny is, not so much funny actually more like a tragedy, is he let one off next to my ear. Isn't that a kick in the pants. Well, not really in the pants, more like a breaking of my ears. Perhaps, you didn't notice, but I don't hear too well. And that's why. I'll tell you a secret, though, all those traps can be turned off: Edwards, the sly bugger, has a switch that'll do it. But don't tell him I told you so. Edwards only told me what 'cause he feels, like, right sorry for me. But, I forgive him. Ees a good guy."
wain: "Who the heck's John Wayne? Oh, Wain, you mean, like our town that you are now in. Yes, it is a good place, shame, real shame about the creatures outside though. Edwards'll kill them though, mark me he will. Then we can leave... not that any proper fellow would want to leave Wain, but there are benefits to being outside. What are they? Search me, but there have to be some."
monster: "Rather not discuss those nastinesses, if you don't mind sir."
smush: "I couldn't quite make out what you said, fellow, I think I'll tell you that this is indeed a fine establishment to do one's imbibing in. Narry a better in Wain. Narry any other, for that matter. Heh. Heh heh. Heh."

Looks like this town is actually doing something about the monsters, although it might not be such a good thing considering what happened to this guy. Speaking of him, you may have noticed his inconvenient position in the screenshot. The door I can reach is locked, so I'll have to pass time in the cellar until he moves.

Resting until the crack of dawn opens up the path, but the other door is also locked. Fortunately, the trunk contains a Smelly Key, which opens said door.

And we're out on the streets of Wain, the first normal-ish town since Elba and Niac, which I'll explore in a clockwise fashion starting from here. The main entrance to the Thirsty Smush is to the west...

...and to the north of that, we have signs. The house for sale is locked, but the other building isn't. Unfortunately, there's nothing inside.

North of those two buildings is a shop. This is a very good thing, since it means we won't have to backtrack all the way to Un if we want or need to buy something.

It's a weapon shop, without anything really worth buying. Still, nice to know that it exists.

North of the weapon shop is another locked building, across from which is the gatehouse. Let's see what this guy has to say.

I have a feeling I know who this is.

name: "My name is Edwards. I would say I was pleased to meet you, but it really doesn't make a difference to me. Just as long as you follow the rules."
job: "I've been running the security in Wain since I was old enough to carry a battle axe. I always seemed best suited to job. I understood the danger of the monster threat, and I realize we can never let up, or they'll kill us all. The guy who came before me - rest Keown's foolish soul - didn't understand, and it got him killed. When I saw him die before my eyes I knew what we were dealing with. So now I make sure the people in Wain are as safe as possible. Many of them are fool-hardy, they underestimate the tremendous threat the monsters pose. It is my job to protect the citizens at all costs. But still, sometimes the monsters get by me, I don't know how. Someday I hope to kill them all, and a little secret I have tucked away might just do the trick."
wain: "What's the history of Wain, the town I've dedicated my life to defending? Well, barely anybody remembers what went on before the monsters came and made us all prisoners in our own town. We're totally self-sufficient here, and the deadly traps I have lain, coupled with the moat around the town, make sure the monster's cannot get in. There's no need for us to ever leave, so we can hold out against the monsters as long as they force us to. I despise the monsters because of what, or rather who they stole from me: my precious Deborah. But with swords in our hands we become the stronger, and we must always remember that. They can't prevail over us as long as we are strong and prepared and unified. Not all of the citizens of Wain, though they are good people, see the situation as I do. It is my job to keep them alive, regardless of their stupidity."
island: "Where do you come from, that you don't even know about the island you are on? Morage is an oddly shaped land, but it is land few people have ever seen, since we are totally unable to ever leave Wain without risking slaughter by the monsters. Morage is sick with the infestation of the monsters, and someday I hope to cure it. Someday we will slaughter them, and I have something which just might do the trick..."
rules: "The rules are simple here - everyone must follow my orders, everyone must stay inside the town at all times, and all must be equipped with suitable weapons to defend themselves when the time comes that a monster sneaks into their house and tries to kidnap them. They are simple rules, and if everyone follows them maybe we'll live to see the day when the monsters are all exterminated. Maybe."
deborah: "Deborah... My Deborah. She was taken by them, by the monsters. They kidnapped her. She was my daughter by my wife - rest her soul - and one day, a couple of months ago, she just disappeared. The damage to her home wasn't so bad as some of the others I've seen when the monsters come to kill us or kidnap us. But I know she's not dead, she can't be. I know they're keeping her captive, doing who knows what terrible things. I just know she can't be dead. I can feel it. Until I have her back, I will never rest. I will never fall for the monsters' tricks. Oh Deborah, if only she knew how much I missed her."
secret: "I have a secret which I have kept from everyone - you seem more interested than the others around here. Many do not understand the gravity of our situation. I have found a note which tells of a cave in the mountains which, if used properly, will kill all the monsters on Morage. What a glorious victory that would be! But alas I can not leave Wain for even a second - it could never survive without me. And I can not trust anyone enough to let them out - the fools would only get themselves killed. I'm actually interested to hear your opinion. Would you care to look at the note?"

Why not?

The note in question is another of Rian's diary entries, reading as follows:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diary Entry
[This paper appears to be a page which has fallen out of a diary.]
Rian-093: My scouting has located a strange cave located in the mountains amongst the wooded section of Morage. Actually, I noticed it by following Red's oafish movements about the island. Why is it that mad overlords always choose nimwits for their right-hand-people? Returning to the subject, this cave contains a strange switch, which, when thrown, kills all of the monsters on Morage - isn't it convenient that Red talks to himself? In any event, it seems that the monsters are too much even for Red to handle, so N created this cave to help deal with them. Though there seems to be little humanity to any of the monsters found on the islands of the Archipelago, I still have difficulty with genocide... Red has not had to use the device yet, but if the people of Morage truly need it, perhaps I will use it some day. I believe I overheard Red mention something about different 'settings' for the cave, as though one could cause it to perform other functions. But I am certain is currently set on 'death'...
I had honestly not known about this particular diary entry until today, so that's pretty interesting. I wonder if there are other items like it that I might have missed? Anyway, on with the tour.

North of the gatehouse are three locked houses and a field with some Spamalopes.

And south and east of those is the general store.

As you can see, it's a very useful place, since it sells Healing Herbs and Herbs of Immenant Health, even if they are pretty expensive. By the way, why is he selling Industrial Strength Poison?

Across the street from Spif's Sprockets is a library containing copies of every useless book we've found so far, plus two new ones. The librarian is in, so let's see what he has to say about the situation here.

name: "I'm Russell, rhymes with tussle. Easy to remember that way, see?"
job: "I'm the librarian here in Wain, though with Edwards spouting off his mind all the time it's a wonder that anyone here reads at all anymore. But, I mustn't go slandering Edwards when I have no true basis. Working as a librarian here in Wain is quite frustrating because there simply are no old books... no one is sure what happened to them. There's no written record of life before the monsters were here. As a child I heard stories of a time before the creatures, but all of those people are long since dead. All that exists on record now are second or even third hand accounts, which just adds to the number of strange goings on on this island. Bertrand, my assistant, was making a project of investigating our past before he disappeared. Poor Bertrand."
wain: "Wain is a wonderful town. The people here... are so diverse. I mean, Edwards may upset many people with his extremist position, but he is a professional, who I think is only looking out for everyone's best interests. It's testament to the people of Wain that our library thrives as it does... which is not much, but the absence of old texts doesn't make it easy. Someday perhaps the citizens of Wain can wander free on the island of Morage once again. If only Bertrand could have been alive to see that day."
morage: "It has been a long time since any citizen has been outside of Wain to see the island of Morage. I remember once as a boy a friend and I snuck out but were quickly terrified by a monster we saw in the distance and ran back in. This was before the elaborate moat was set up by Edwards. No one leaves any more... except for maybe Emily the geographer. She might have a secret... But I don't want to risk it. Though, if Bertrand is out there, it might just be worth it to go and find him. But... I've given up hope on that."
monster: "The monsters... I do not know what to make of them. It seems so easy to just wish them all dead. And they have hurt us all so desperately. It is no longer safe to walk about the island... Well, actually I only know that because Edwards has told me so. No one has left Wain in quite some time - Edwards insists on it. But Emily the town geographer... she knows something, a way to get out perhaps. But she certainly isn't talking about it. But I wouldn't want to risk walking outside, though if I could find Bertrand... I'd give my life to know that he was safe. But the monsters have taken him, and I've given up hope."
edwards: "I confess I am often too hard on Edwards. He is faced with a difficult job - protecting our city from the monsters who exist outside on the island of Morage. It is no wonder he is driven to such disturbing extremes. Everyone must be armed, everyone must be prepared for when they invade, the only kind of good monster is a dead monster... But are they really monsters? It certainly seems as if they are, but no one knows for sure. Edwards has kept us mostly safe, but he could not save Bertrand or even his own Deborah. But... he is not an evil man, by any means."
book: "Maintaining a library without many books is not as easy as you might think. I may have mentioned to you that no books exist from the time before the monsters? It's very strange. But it is important that a library be maintained, anyway, I believe. Perhaps someday the monsters will be gone, but I think it of paramount importance that our children remember what happened - the time Wain went through, when all was not well. No, not well at all. Edwards often says he doesn't think the library is what citizens of Wain should worry about, that survival is most important. Well, as you might imagine, I disagree with him."
bertrand: "What a wonderful man Bertrand is - not very strong willed but one of the nicest people you will ever meet. But you never shall, now that he has disappeared. Bertrand used to be my assistant here at the library, but... Edwards would say he is one of the ones the monsters came and took - or even killed. But I'm not so sure. You see, I performed a thorough search of his home after he disappeared and it seems to have been torn apart... from the inside. It is very very strange indeed. Did he let the monster in to his house? Had he discovered something no one else knows? Was it even a monster who took him? Alas, I do not think we will ever know. I would give anything to see him again. If only you could take me to him... There's no hope of my seeing him, is there?"

I can't say for now, but you should never give up hope.

That being said, this seems like a good place to get rid of all those duplicate psionics, since I can't sell them. Speaking of selling, I also sold off a bunch of duplicate weapons and obsolete armor at the general store and bought four Healing Herbs and three Herbs of Immenant Health.

And now, back to the tour. The northern building is what appears to be a restaurant, and the southern one is a school. Kind of strange, seeing as we haven't seen any children since Alonzo back on Culn. Still, might as well check it out.

Unfortunately, there's no one here, so we'll just have to rest until morning, when the teacher shows up.

name: "Herman. My father's name, actually, he lacked the originality to give me a new one. I'm too old to have a son now, and I never managed to find the time to have one. But if I had, I would have named him something else, let me promise you."
job: "I like to say that I am a school teacher... and yet, there are no longer any students for my class. All are either too afraid of the monsters to even come to my classes, or even worse... Some of my best students were claimed by the creatures outside. Are they a plague sent down on us from above? Sometimes I wonder. Luckily Wain is blessed with a man who can defend our town, and keep those of us still alive safe. Edwards is quite a man."
wain: "Wain was a great town, on the wonderful island of Morage... until the monsters came along and made us all shut-ins. Perhaps Edwards will some day find a way to kill all of them, and then we can all get back to our lives. If you had told me fifty years ago that I would one day advocate genocide, I never would have believed you. But that was before I realized how necessary it is in situations such as ours."
morage: "Our island of Morage, so long since I have truly seen it. Thinking of it only makes me sad."
monster: "The monsters have changed Wain so much. No longer are we truly living, but merely just surviving, always hoping the savages outside won't break down the walls and kill us all. But Edwards does an admirable job of defending Wain. Without him, we would be lost."
edwards: "Edwards is in charge of defending our town, and he does a superb job. He engineered the construction of our moat, as well as placing traps all along the perimeter of the city. The state of affairs here in Wain would be much worse were it not for him. Yet, somehow, the creatures still sneak in, once in a while. No one knows how, and I know it makes Edwards feel that he is inadequate. But he is a good man, and is doing all that is humanly possible to keep us safe. Bless him."
school: "There is nothing more disturbing to one as old as I, than a school with no students to populate it. I still go and sit in the classroom, thinking of the days, so many years ago, when I had students. Alas..."

I'm not sure if it's deliberate or not, but for someone who so frequently mentions how old he is, Herman looks pretty youthful in his portrait.

South of the school are a bunch of small houses, and south of them is a farm, complete with farmer.

name: "My name's Donald."
job: "Why, I run the little farm we have here in Wain. It's a little one, to be sure, but enough to keep the people of Wain fed while we weather out our difficulties. And, nothing could grow out there what with those creatures running around. So, it's my job to make sure everybody'll have something to eat. It's not much to be proud of, I know, but I like it just the same."
wain: "That's where I call home. And proud of it."
morage: "I've never actually been outside of Wain, I'm sad to say. As long as I can remember the monsters just made it unsafe to leave town. Some day, though, I hope.... I mean, I've heard stories, and it's supposed to be beautiful. Someday, someday."
monster: "Yeah, those monsters sure are terrible. Are we being punished for something, I wonder? Who knows, right? I just concentrate on my work and leave worrying about the monsters to Edwards. I could never farm all that land, anyway, so I just don't worry about it. But it sure would be nice to go outside... some day."
edwards: "Edwards is our leader: he's really an inspirational guy. He's kept us alive through thick and thinner, and thinnest even. He's amazing. Dedicated, really knows what he's doing. Very professional. He's the only reason we're all still alive, as far as I can tell."
farm: "Why, the farm's on the south-side of town, you can't miss it. Like I said a thousand times to people who ask, it ain't much, but it gets the job done. And I enjoy working it, I really do."

I love the fact that he says the last one even when you're literally right on the farm yourself.

North of the farm is the last stop on the tour. As the sign outside says, this house belongs to Emily, who we've heard about from Russell. He mentioned that she might know a way outside, so let's see what she has to say.

name: "Emily, and nothing else."
job: "I call myself town geographer, though that's hardly an official title. My uncle left me a good deal of money - not a lot, but enough - so I don't have to hold a conventional job. But I do make some money, selling copies of maps to people. Though the market is hardly much since the overly-macho Edwards won't let anyone leave Wain to see the glory of Morage outside. For our own good he says... Well, maybe, but if I can survive outside there are lots of others who could too. I've mapped out nearly the whole island - every last corner, I like to think, even some pretty strange places - and someday I would like to see if there is anywhere beyond this island... but as long as the monsters persist, this civilization is stuck in the proverbial mud."
wain: "I suppose Wain is better off than it could be. I mean, the people around here aren't stupid, even if they are under Edwards' thumb. I mean, he doesn't have any direct power over them, but he has them worked into such a frenzy about those creatures outside. I say we haven't got so much to worry about."
morage: "Morage the island is a beautiful place - it's a shame no one in Wain can appreciate it any more, what with Edwards' exit-ban. Maybe it is for our own safety, but I'm dubious. I've managed to survive all my mapping runs well enough. I've seen most of this island - it's such a strange, but wonderful, shape. I hope you get to go outside and appreciate it some time, there are some pretty strange sights to see. Actually, you look fairly capable. You could handle yourself well out there. Would you like to go out there?"
monster: "The creatures outside... They've had such a profound impact on Wain, they've totally changed our society. And yet, I don't know if we're right about them. I don't even feel safe calling them monsters... I mean, that's condemning them right there. We don't understand them, what motivates them, why they act as they do... I've gone outside countless times since Edwards enacted the exit-ban those many years ago, on my mapping runs, and they've never even come close to attacking me. Once I did see two of them fighting fairly savagely... but they both walked away from the battle intact - it seemed like more of a 'male-thing' than any thing else. Of course, I can't bring up my reservations, Edwards would have me shut up quicker than you can think."
edwards: "Edwards is an anti-intellectual, macho jerk: I'll never understand him. He swears we're in terrible danger because of the monsters. But I don't believe that we are. I mean, from my experiences with them, during my mapping runs, I've never had any trouble with them. I mean, I try to stay out of sight, but once I turned a corner around a crag in the eastern mountains and there was a ferocious looking creature right in front of me. I froze still, but then just went on about my business. It didn't touch me. It looked like... it wanted to say something, but couldn't articulate it. I almost felt sorry for it. If it wasn't for Edwards, maybe we would understand those creatures, instead of just hating them."
geography: "Geography is my trade... I guess. I'm fascinated by the land, it's so much more impressive that we mere ants scurrying about on it. And by ants I mean both we citizens of Wain and those strange creatures outside. I wouldn't exactly call them monsters, I don't know enough about them to pass judgment on them like that pig-headed Edwards does. I've mapped out much of the island - found some pretty strange places too. Though Edwards would no doubt have me executed on the spot for sneaking outside... or maybe his macho code wouldn't allow it because I'm a woman. You know, I don't know where you came from, I haven't seen you around ever, and I've seen nearly everybody. Do you want to get out of Wain?"

Saying that yes, you do want to go out, yields this:

Last edited by Kahran042; 01-10-2019 at 01:04 AM.
Old 01-10-2019, 12:25 AM

Default Continued from previous post.

And, if you ask her about the "strange" stuff...

Sounds interesting. We'll definitely have to check it out at some point.

This is the house Emily mentioned. The trunk contains a Dagger of Doom, a pretty sweet melee weapon. The ladder Emily mentioned is hidden under the pile of stuff in the other corner, which is composed of a Pick Axe, an Iron Poker, a Gilded Book, a Lantern, and some Green Clothing.

This is what Katrielle looks like wielding the Dagger of Doom, if you're wondering.

The passage is pretty dull, but at least it's well-lit and monster-free.

And just like that, Katrielle is on the surface of Morage, which seems like a good place to end the update. Next time, should I start this island's main quest or take on Vex Chamber Numero Cinco?
Old 01-10-2019, 03:54 AM

Pronouns: 'He' & co

Ooooh, is this game going "the monsters were humans before" route then? Is it a thing of this island only, then, or of the whole game? The ones described by Emily seem to behave different than the "always aggro" from the rest of the game, tho...

As for what to do you know my answer. XD
Old 01-10-2019, 06:09 AM
Holy Swine

Yes, vex chamber!
Old 01-10-2019, 07:03 AM

Quote:
I'm not sure if it's deliberate or not, but for someone who so frequently mentions how old he is, Herman looks pretty youthful in his portrait.
I have my theories but I'm not saying anything yet.
Old 01-11-2019, 08:31 AM
Metaphysical organ dealer

Pronouns: He/him

Might as well get the vex chamber out of the way quickly.
Old 01-11-2019, 01:09 PM

Default A Vexing Situation V: Warriors of Destiny

It looks like we're heading to the next Vex Chamber today. First, though, it would be a good idea to put some sort of marker over the location of the secret passage, since it doesn't show up on the map. Personally, I like to use the Gilded Book.

En route, we encounter a C.H.U.D., one of the local monsters. Like Emily said, it will never attack unprovoked and generally seems to mind its own business. We'll find out more about that later.

Like the first two Vex Chambers, this one is in a swamp.

Unlike the others, this one is silent. However, there is the usual note, so let's see what it has to say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vex the Fifth Note
Greetings again, Wanderer. You just cannot stay in one place too long, can you? And of course, you realize that your nomadic ways can only lead to your demise? Of course you do, but that's part of the thrill, is it not? But I do dreadfully digress. Welcome to my Vex Chamber the Fifth, at the end of which there waits for you a little gift in addition to the customary reward, but I feel it my duty to warn you: do not use it until you're sure you want to. For it will bring you oh-so-much closer to your precious staff - I have an inkling that you want it back and I'm seldom wrong - but at the same time it may cause you more trouble than you're presently capable of, shall we say, dealing with. That said, I am so very proud of this Vex Chamber: it really brings out my unexplored musical aspirations, pioneering a whole new direction in tonality. First I will introduce you to my unique four-tone scale - listen carefully to my choice of note placement, for you shall bear witness to it but once. And then, why, it's on to the thrust of the fun, with a separate lead up and then a musical heart that may, well, Vex you. And the switch? Why, it starts the fun all over again. As always, an escape path has been provided, for the weak of mind. - N.
Hoo boy. This is a sound-based puzzle, which explains the lack of music.

To start with, stepping on each of these panels plays a single violin note. If I were more musically-inclined, I might be able to write them down, but I'm not, so I can't.

Stepping on all four and then in the middle places Katrielle in a long hallway. Every step she takes plays one of the sounds from the panels.

At the end of the hallway is this large room. If my interpretation of the Vex the Fifth Note is correct, each of the sounds indicates a direction, and they indicate which way to go to reach the northeast corner. However, due to its infuriatingly vague nature, there hasn't really been a solution to this particular Vex... until now.

You see, it's possible to reduce its difficulty from "near-impossible" to "easy, but tedious" via an exploit discovered by none other than yours truly. The way this Vex works is that there's a correct path, surrounded by invisible traps. Stepping on a trap disables the "musical feet" effect and the proper exit from the maze. However, the lever from the hallway can reset them, creating a new maze. But, since it's possible to find the traps just by examining them...

...you can put rocks or other useless items on them to mark the correct path, or just remember where the traps are and avoid them.

Once you've reached the top half of the room, it's much easier, to the point where you could probably just proceed by saving after every correct step and resetting. Still, I discovered the exploit, so I'm going to keep using it.

Reaching the northeast corner transports Katrielle to the standard Vex Chamber reward room, containing a rune that boosts her maximum PP by 100 and an N Staff, which can be used at any time for a one-way trip to the final dungeon. Obviously, we aren't going to be using it yet.

And that's five Vex Chambers down. Next time, we try to find out more about these strangely non-cannibalistic, non-humanoid, non-underground-dwelling C.H.U.D.s. See you then!

Last edited by Kahran042; 01-11-2019 at 02:37 PM.
Old 01-12-2019, 06:33 AM
Holy Swine

Could you record a video or audio clip and see if any of us can solve it the normal way?
Old 01-12-2019, 07:18 AM

I know there's a psionic called Trap Spotting but I can't remember where you get it.
Old 01-12-2019, 09:57 AM

Default The Truth Revealed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerad View Post
Could you record a video or audio clip and see if any of us can solve it the normal way?
Unfortunately, I have no idea of how to do so, not being very tech-savvy. But if I did know how, I would.

Anyway, on with the update proper. As has been mentioned, the monsters on the surface will never attack unless provoked, and I can say from experience that you don't want to provoke them. In addition, unlike most monsters...

...they have some capacity for speech. Trying to listen to one yields this:

All they can say is this and "Come. Follow.", so it might be a good idea to follow (insert pronoun here).

Doing so leads to this cave.

Inside is a colony of Man Spiders, who are also able to speak. All monsters on this island that don't lack Katrielle's penchant for conversation have the "This creature is speaking..." dialogue, but there's no reason not to speak with any of them, and that includes this one.

name: "My name is Sarah."
job: "I lead these people. Some day I hope to lead them back to Wain, and some sort of normal life. Someday, I hope to lead them to a cure."
morage: "Many of us spend our days wandering Morage. Though these new forms seem designed for killing we do not use them for that. Unless we are attacked. Please read the Book which will explain all."
wain: "We all wish for the day that we can return to Wain. But we can not return like this - we will surely be killed. We do not blame them, though. They do not understand what they do."
gathering: "We have tried to establish our own community here in this naturally-formed cave. Though it is on the edge of a swamp, it is clear from the view of Wain. Here we have a place where we can live and respect each other as people. Though often I realize we may never find true happiness again."
book: "Bertrand has been placed in charge of the great Book. The Book explains all about us and is designed to explain our condition. You can find Bertrand usually at his writing desk in the south-eastern corner of our cave."

The book reads as follows:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Large book
This book is written specifically for you, the one who shall one day find us and help lead us back to Wain, either through a cure to our condition or through enabling us to return to our loved ones without being misunderstood. At all costs, reader, I beg you to continue reading.
First, I shall write something about myself. My name is Bertrand, and while I lived in Wain, before my transformation into the inhuman creature I have become, I was the assistant to the librarian, Russell. Russell is my dearest friend in the world, and pains me greatly that I am not able to see him anymore. I believe that he would understand my - our - condition, and could accept us in ways that others can only fear. I have been called upon to write this text not just because of my writing background, but also because of my good fortune. You see, my transformation still leaves me with hands which are adept enough to hold a writing implement easily. Though my speech is gone to the point where I can only utter a couple of words at a time - and with great effort - I am able to communicate more eloquently than any other of my peers because of my ability to write.
Since none of us are able to speak very well, it is our hope that through this book we can communicate all that we know of our condition to whoever is able to read it. We hope that in this way you will see what has happened better than those in Wain have and, hopefully, you will be able to help us. I thank you in advance for any help you are able to provide.
To the best of our estimations, the transformations started about a century ago. Then is recorded the first strange disappearance of someone from Wain, as well as the first sightings of strange creatures wandering around the island of Morage. We actually think that some of the creatures initially came from places other than Wain, but we are not sure. From that point on, transformations came over citizens of Wain one by one. On being seen by other townspeople we have then been driven from the town. Many here understand that as a reasonable reaction given our often hideous appearance. Others feel that the people eof Wain are simply too untrusting and blame them. But, at the same time we must realize that WE are the people of Wain, and when each of us was placed in the same situation we did the same. For not all of us transformed at once, and most still alive today lived in Wain while Edwards was in charge, and raised no objection.
Many of us feel that Edwards, the head of Wain security and the father of Deborah, one of us, is largely responsible for the fact that no real progress has been made toward getting the people of Wain to understand our situation. Those of us who lived in Wain during his time in his position realize how vehemently he speaks out against us. Yet, by our lack of action all agreed with him, and did nothing to attempt to communicate with the strange creatures outside. Then we did not realize that one day we would be one of them. Edwards' radical stance is no doubt a reaction to his daughter's disappearance. He believes her to have been kidnapped, and hopes desperately for her return. But that can only happen if we can open up a channel of communication between ourselves and the town.
The transformation is a sudden thing. A person may be feeling fine one minute, the next he has gained 200 pounds, has green scaly skin, and can no longer communicate. The transformation is also very painful, and this explains why much destruction has been caused by us on first changing. When confronted with the fact that they have become monstrous looking, many people choose to break and destroy things. For some, the pain never goes away, and every day is further agony for them. Some could not take the pain, and have, sadly, killed themselves. Others do so when they realize that they shall most likely never see their loved ones again. If we could only find some sort of cure for our condition, so many lives could be saved.
Death for us is a strange experience. When one of us is killed, his or her body starts to dissolve immediately. Within minutes, nothing remains of the person - their body has completely dissolved into the ground. This is a very disturbing sight to witness, and many here are driven near-insane by the thought that some day, they too will die such a horrible death. This strange transformation occurs regardless of whether the person dies from violence or of natural causes.
Let's see what Bertrand himself has to say.

name: "Bertrand."
job: "Book. Read."

If we inquire about Russell...

The thing that will "Bring (Katrielle). Luck." is a tuning fork. Now, it would probably be nice to let Russell know that Bertrand is still alive, but before leaving, there is one other Man Spider who we can talk to.

name: "My name is Deborah."
job: "I am in charge of medical treatment here at the Gathering. But my job is near impossible. Many people here suffer constantly. Their transformation has never stopped hurting. I wish someday to cure them."
morage: "Morage is a wonderful island. It is a true shame that in order to stay as far from the attacks of Wain as possible we had to move into a cave next to a swamp. Some fear those of Wain - they fear my father in particular - so much that they never leave the cave. Others wander about the island, taking in its beauty. We all feel sorry that those of Wain do not understand us and fear us so much that they no longer leave Wain to explore Morage."
wain: "We are all from Wain, originally. It seems like such a long time ago. The transformation came over us one by one, and each of us either ran from the town in terror or were driven out by the military forces there. Many here hope to return to Wain someday, somehow."
cure: "I hope that we can find a cure to our condition through medicine. For now, I just try to ease the pain of those who hurt. Many hurt constantly. I cannot save them, I cannot help them. I do what I can."
father: "Edwards is my father. He is the head of... security in Wain, and he is the person who is most eager to have us all killed. But he does not understand. He does not realize who we are. Some here at the gathering speak against him, but he does not understand. Many others do not blame him. Still, I feel terrible. I wish somehow he could understand. Even if we snuck him a note explaining, he would not believe it. Maybe someday something can be worked out. Perhaps someday we can all return to Wain. But I realize that day will not be for some time. And despite his flaws, I do miss him dearly."

And, with that, let's head back to Wain. As has been mentioned, the gate is locked and surrounded by traps, so the only way in is through the secret passage, which is why it's a good idea to mark it or remember that it's two tiles east of the city.

As you may recall, if you chat with Russell about Bertrand, he'll ask if there's any hope of seeing him again. If you say yes...

There's no reason not to, so sure.

Since the monsters on the overworld are harmless, this is much less painful than other escort missions.

The only real problem is the fact that most of Morage is composed of difficult terrain, making it hard for Russell to keep up with Katrielle. Still, it's a lot easier than her last escort mission.

And just like that, they arrive at the Gathering. Let's hope that Russell doesn't mind his best friend's new form.

Fortunately, he doesn't. The token in question is a Wooden Lizard, which has no use, as far as I know. But then, I didn't know about the Diary Entry that Edwards had until this very playthrough, so one never knows.

Now, a bit of audience interaction to make up for Vex 5. We're equipped to solve Morage's problem and have received enough information to do so, but the exact method is a bit of a Guide Dang It. Can you figure out what to do?

Last edited by Kahran042; 01-17-2019 at 02:25 AM.
Old 01-12-2019, 06:33 PM
Yes, let's feast!

Pronouns: he

Bertrand and Russell, eh?
Old 01-13-2019, 12:18 AM
Meal break

Pronouns: He/Him

Do we go to the secret cave and flick the switch to kill all the monsters return everyone to normal?
Old 01-13-2019, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yimothy View Post
Do we go to the secret cave and flick the switch to kill all the monsters return everyone to normal?
Very close! It does involve the secret cave, as well as an item we received recently.
Old 01-13-2019, 07:58 AM
Metaphysical organ dealer

Pronouns: He/him

Flick the switch and turn everyone else into monsters, I say.
Old 01-13-2019, 01:16 PM
????? LV 13 HP 292/

Pronouns: he, him, his

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yimothy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
Flick the switch and turn everyone else into monsters, I say.
I suggest a compromise - turn them all into centaurs (of any variety).
Old 01-13-2019, 10:38 PM

Default Another hint

Quite a few people have figured out that the next step in this island's quest is to visit the secret cave in the mountains.

There doesn't seem to be much here besides the switch, which will presumably kill all the monsters if pulled. Based on what we've learned, that may not be the optimal solution, however. According to the diary entry, there may be other settings for this cave. Accessing them is the tricky part, but there is a very vague hint from someone in Wain. Can you figure it out?
Old 01-15-2019, 12:21 AM

Default It's Morphin' Time!

Since no one was able to figure it out, here's the solution to this puzzle. As you recall, Emily mentioned hearing a tone in the cave, and that the western passage led to a back room, but she wasn't able to find it after hearing the tone. So, if you use the Tuning Fork in the western passage...

...the back room opens up. But there is a bit more, though. See that psychedelic glowing ball? That's a Rolling Zapmonger, and it's kind of an odd monster - a bit tougher than most enemies, and certainly rare, but not tough enough to really be a mini-boss. I guess you could call it an elite mook, although that's not quite the correct use of that trope. However, there is a bit of a way to cheese this one.

First, lure it to the far side of the pool.

Then head to the other side. Like all monsters, it can't cross water, and it's not smart enough to just go around it, so you can snipe it with missiles or ranged psionics from here with nary a scratch.

With the Zapmonger out of the way, the back room is safe to enter. It contains three psionics. From left to right, they are Morph, Death Morph, and D Morph.

As you can see, there's not much in the way of information on how they work. Due to this, this section is the real Guide Dang It of this island, so I'll just explain it. The handle in the main room applies the psionic on the pedestal - in this case, Death Morph - to all monsters on the island. Obviously, with Death Morph there, that would kill them. But what if we were to switch it with one of the others?

D Morph sounds like "de-morph", so it would probably be the best choice, especially since at a PP cost of 91, it would be a far more convenient way to apply it to all the monsters. So let's give it a shot.

That's the same message for all configurations, but if you leave the cave after doing this with D Morph...

...the C.H.U.D.s have been turned back into palette swaps of townsfolk from earlier in the game. Let's see if the same applies to the Man Spiders.

Looks like it does. Most of the de-morphed townsfolk don't have anything to say, but some of them do, as does Russell.

Looks like they really want me to talk to Deborah, so let's do that.

This is what Deborah looks like when she isn't a giant arachnoid monster - you can tell because she has a unique sprite.

She'll say this until everyone arrives in the cave. When they do, she has something new to say.

Looks like to make up for how easy escort missions are on this island, there are two of them for double the difficulty. However, if you double zero it's still zero, so sure.

Escorting Deborah from the Gathering to Wain is just as easy as escorting Russell from Wain to the Gathering, if not easier.

Once Katrielle gets Deborah inside Wain via the secret passage, it's just a small matter of leading her to the gatehouse and waiting until her father comes out. Once you've done so, Edwards and Deborah have some new lines.

As stated, Edwards will disable the traps and unlock the doors to the gatehouse after Deborah arrives.

Doing this allows the villagers waiting outside to return home. If you chat with Deborah after this...

The weapon in question is Edwards' Trident, probably the best weapon in the game. It has a wield rating of 45, tied with the Dagger of Doom for the highest of any melee weapon and second-highest overall, and its 35 damage rating is nothing to sneeze at, either. Being one-handed, it can be used with a shield, and as a pole arm, it can attack monsters up to two spaces away.

This is what Katrielle looks like wielding it, which she'll be doing most of the time from now on.

By the way, here's something that I realized on this playthrough. On Un and Culn, we weren't able to completely solve their problems, but did at least plant seeds for positive change. On Emas, we were only able to repaint the problem (literally and figuratively), and may have actually made things worse. McTeague was beyond repair before we arrived, and the best we were able to do was give both Himan and Pitor what they deserved. This is the first island where we were able to definitively fix its problem, and it feels pretty good. That being said, I'm close to the image limit, so until next time.
Old 01-15-2019, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Since no one was able to figure it out, here's the solution to this puzzle.
I just didn't want to say anything.

Quote:
D Morph sounds like "de-morph", so it would probably be the best choice, especially since at a PP cost of 91, it would be a far more convenient way to apply it to all the monsters. So let's give it a shot.
The first time I played this, I d morphed everyone manually.
Old 01-15-2019, 06:30 PM
????? LV 13 HP 292/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahran042 View Post
Like Eowyn, Katrielle is no man.
Old 01-15-2019, 10:32 PM

Default A Few Things More

Today, we'll be clearing up the rest of our business on Morage and moving on to the next island. First of all, I never actually read the two plaques on the gatehouse in Wain, so might as well do so now.

Not much to them, but at least I did it. Now for the first real order of business. Since Wain is back to normal, the townsfolk have new dialogue, as follows:

As his speech implies, Bertrand has an extra reward for Katrielle.

Quote:
I know there's a psionic called Trap Spotting but I can't remember where you get it.
This is it. Unfortunately, it doesn't work on the traps in the Vex Chamber, and with traps being ultra-rare after this point, it's pretty useless.

Oddly enough, it still detects the traps outside Wain, despite them being disarmed.

Now that the people at the Gathering have returned to Wain, they probably won't be needing the stuff there anymore. It's composed of a Bastitch Sword, two Pick Axes, five Healing Herbs, an Herb of Immenant Health, and 430 GP worth of assorted gems.

And that's everything on Morage done and dusted. The only thing left to do, after selling off my excess weapons and armor and buying one more Herb of Immenant Health in case I need it, is to enter this cave on the southeast corner of the island.

Almost immediately on entrance, Katrielle is greeted by a pair of Insecteri. Along with the Morc and Gremlin shortly afterwards, they're no match for Edwards' Trident.

Not long after the initial wave of monsters, there's a secret passage.

In addition to Insecteri, it also contains another Rolling Zapmonger, and two new monsters - an Oozasaurous and an Ephemeral One. Unfortunately, I can't really get a good screenshot of the Ephemeral One, since it's pretty much just a mass of shifting shadows that blend in with the dirt floor. Don't worry, though - there'll be more of them later in an area where they can be screenshotted.

At the end of the secret passage is a small room, containing The Beast, the best ranged weapon in the game, and a Moood Ring, a useless novelty item.

Despite being listed under "Usable Objects," all it does when used is display this message. Still, it's an interesting little Easter egg, I guess.

Back outside the secret passage are even more monsters.

After defeating them and passing through a nondescript stretch of tunnel, I come to this interesting little area. The two alcoves may seem identical, but the left one is actually...

...another secret passage, complete with Insecterous guard. Just inside is a side path containing the psionic Slow.

A little ways along the main path is a cache of Deaths Head Bolts. The flavor text says that they're "for use with The Beast", but I've used them together before and haven't really noticed any distinct effect, especially since each cache of Deaths Head Bolts contains only five, and there are only two in the game AFAIK. If anyone has, please let me know.

After finding the Deaths Head Bolts and fighting past another couple of Insecteri, Katrielle reaches a stairway leading up...

...to another island. Join me next time as we explore it.

Last edited by Kahran042; 01-16-2019 at 02:36 AM. Reason: Fixing typo.
Old 01-16-2019, 10:42 PM

Default Katrielle to the Max

Last time, Katrielle discovered a new island at the end of a secret passage. Those water monsters are Hydro Terrors. They're only found on this island, and are the only monsters found on the island.

They are also really hard to kill, so it's probably a good idea to use the Chameleon Staff to sneak by them.

On an unrelated note, the music for this island kind of reminds me of Elinor Knox's leitmotif from The 7th Guest. Just thought I'd mention it.

Eventually, we meet this guy. He's obviously a badass if he lives here, so let's talk to him in hopes of seeing what he knows. Fortunately, Katrielle regains her human form shortly before reaching him.

name: "My name is Maxamillian."
job: "What is a job? I do not understand your question."
Solitude: "I remember the last thing my mother said before she died: 'You poor child, your solitude may be unbearable.' I decided to make it bearable. I named this island after that solitude. It is a solitude that I thrive on now. I hope never to return to a land where man has changed the land to suit his own needs. I prefer the unaltered beauty of this place. My parents and I may not have found the place Exin, but we found somewhere better. It is sad that my parents could not live to enjoy it."
mother: "My parents and I escaped from the town of Flog, and were looking for a place. I think it was called Exin. But instead we found a tunnel in the swamp, which lead us here. My father was wounded by a living skeleton on the way here. He died quickly. My mother was attacked by one of the water terrors when we got here. She died slowly. I remember them dearly, every day. I try to keep them alive, by keeping myself alive. As long as I do not forget them, and I never will. I must keep up the fight, to keep them alive."
Exin: "I was very young when I lived anywhere but here. Now, I can barely remember the thing you speak of. In part I have forgotten. In part I choose to forget. I choose to forget the evil that man has in him. I choose."

Interestingly enough, Maxamillian is only the second NPC so far to know that there's more than one island. Unfortunately, he doesn't have anything further to say about "that man," but if you ask him about the monsters...

And, if you ask him about fighting...

I sure do!

Maxamillian's fighting style is AWESOME. Don't believe me? Check out its stats.

That 50 wield rating is the highest of any weapon in the entire game, and the 38 damage rating is pretty good, too. It is two-handed, but that's not too much of a problem due to Highly Professional Glow. It's the only thing to be found on Solitude, but it's definitely worth it.

As you can see, it works quite well on the Hydro Terrors. I also found out that Maxamillian will attack them on his own, which I did not know until now.

A quick search of the island confirms that there are no hidden goodies there, but there are two graves on the eastern shore - presumably those of Maxamillian's parents. A nice little detail, I must say.

With nothing left to do on Solitude, it's time to head back into the tunnels.

Not far from the secret passage leading to Solitude are two more secret passages.

The first one contains the psionic Chart Master, which automatically fills out the automap for your current location, and the second one contains three Insecteri guarding a Sour Blue Potion, a Marble Sphere, an Organic Sphere, a Moood Shield, a Bone Sphere, a Diary Entry, a Wooden Sphere, a Trowing Dagger, a Bola, and the psionic F Wall, which creates an impassable force wall. I've never really used it, but I could see it being useful, at least if the force wall isn't permanent. The Diary Entry reads as follows:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diary Entry
[This paper appears to be a page which has fallen out of a diary.]
Rian-027: I am, again, mystified. The people of Agressat are so eager to tear each other apart, even before they do the same to Ronan. The Slayers, The Pax Flog, aren't they just flip sides of some warped gold-piece? But what strikes me is, where do the Blue Meanies - as I choose to call Ronan's Minions - come from? What is his source of power, why does he have it? Is he running the show on Agressat because he just... has immense power? If not, is N. supplying it to him, and why would he do that? I will keep asking - though not the people, they are so strangely clueless - until I understand just what is going on here...
Looks like we've found out something about the conflict on the next island...

...which is just up these stairs. Next time, we'll start exploring it.
Old 01-20-2019, 04:18 AM

Default The Last Refuge

It's been a while, but welcome back. Today, we start exploring the seventh island in the Archipelago.

As Maxamilian stated, the cave exit is in the middle of a swamp.

Almost immediately, we encounter some of the local wildlife. The red monster is a Hopper, and the blue ones are Blue Meanies. They're the power and speed monsters, respectively, for this island, and they're pretty tough. Fortunately, the weapons Katrielle acquired on Morage and Solitude make them far less threatening than the monsters on Emas or McTeague.

A short journey from the cave is a town.

According to the plaques on the walls, this is the town of Exin that Maxamilian and his parents were seeking when they found the tunnel. There's a lady near the gate, so let's talk with her and hope that the plaques are telling the truth.

name: "My name is Elizabeth, and only Elizabeth."
job: "Though I am the elected arbitrator here in Exin, I also put in my share of work in the fields, and on watch for the Minions. I figure, I need to practice what I preach. I only ask the people here to work as hard as I do. But that's no easy feat."
island: "Agressat... just as Flog is beset by the tyranny of Ronan and his countless Minions, Agressat is beset by another kind of monster entirely. Luckily, Exin has been fortified and re-fortified to ward off their incessant attacks. But Agressat... with the monsters out there, it seems we can never reclaim the island for our own. To be clicheed and poetic, our days of innocence are lost to us forever. We can never return."
Exin: "This is where people who can no longer take Flog come to, if they can make it. They have no choice, really. After the monsters came and ravaged the three cities, Flog, Exin, and Satch, only Flog survived because of Ronan's strength as a ruler. But when his tyranny became too much - when he went mad with power, some would say - life was no longer tolerable in Flog, and some people set out from there to find a new place. How they made it alive to Exin and rebuilt it without dying by the hands of the monsters, I'll never know. But thank all that they did."
Flog: "Flog... I never liked Flog in any way. Even without Ronan and Pax Flog and the Slayers, now there are just too many bad memories there. What Ronan has done to the town is terrible yes, but I despise just as much all that the Pax Flog and the Slayers have done to break apart and hurt the town. That's why I find Exin so absolutely wonderful. The people here are more... caring. I shall never go back to Flog. Never"
Satch: "I don't know much about Satch, to be honest. I know it's to the south of Flog a good ways, but I have never been there. Perhaps there's another community such as ours living down there? Though, I certainly have never heard tell of it. All I know is it was ravaged and abandoned, just like Exin, when the monsters came."
Ronan: "Ronan is proud to be known as the Fiend. He overworks - with a sadistic relish, I'm sure - the people of Flog, all to feed his insatiable appetite. He sits there, a pile of lard in his tower, watching down on the suffering below, a fiendish grin on his face. His Minions - those dumb, brutish, incredibly strong, extremely loyal creatures that permeate Flog - carry out his every order. Breaking with the rules prescribed means instant death, and to make sure the people stay nicely in line, he executes random members of the town at random times. He is, truly, a Fiend."
Minion: "The Minions... they are a mystery to everyone. But we must be prepared for them when they raid through Exin. Ronan sends them sweeping through here every couple of weeks, checking to see if anyone is living here in Exin. Luckily, all the Minions are looking for is actual bodies... they don't notice signs of life, just life itself. That's why if we all hide in the refuges, we'll be fine. The Minions, I almost feel sorry for the mindless creatures. But where does Ronan get them from?"
refuge: "The refuges are used for the Minion raids that happen once every couple of weeks. There are two refuges which were each created to keep a bit more than half the town concealed from the Minions' view: it is a very good thing the Minions are so dumb. The refuges are located in the home of Kaleb, located in the North-East corner of town, and the other is in the South-East corner of town. It is the responsibility of each person who lives in Exin to locate these and to hide there in the event of a raid. If one person is caught, the Minions usually look extra hard for more, though we have been lucky so far. I recommend you locate the two refuges post-haste."
monster: "I think the monsters are the big reason so few people come to Exin... it is a tremendous gamble to make the journey across the countryside of Agressat with those ferocious monsters at every turn, and those with families are particularly at risk. It is strange, those horrible monsters seem somehow linked to the evil that Ronan has become, and those Minions he creates. What is the connection? Probably none, but it is strange."

Despite what she says, the Minions never attack Exin in-game, as far as I know. However, she has given us almost everything we need to know about the situation on Agressat - there are monsters everywhere, and the local ruler, Ronan, is a despot who controls everything due to having his own force of monstrous minions. The people of Exin are Floggites who fled here after getting fed up with Ronan's oppression. There's more to it, but that will have to wait.

East of the gate is a Long Bow, with quivers of Arrows and Hide Piercing Arrows.

There's a similar set-up west of the gate, but with Silver Headed and Moood Headed Arrows.

Just past the gate is what I can best describe as an apartment building. Unfortunately, all the doors inside are locked.

Further north and a bit east is a storehouse. Most of the stuff there is useless, but there is a Healing Herb on the north counter, and those are always nice to have.

Across the street from the storehouse is what appears to be an important building, judging by the two plaques next to the door.

Inside, there's nothing of note but an empty trunk and another plaque. Guess this is Elizabeth's house, then.

North of that is what seems to be a dining hall, but with nothing of significance but some useless melee weapons.

Due west of the dining hall, but behind a high barrier, is a pasture of Spamalopes, as well as another human.

name: "My name is Alexandra, but you can just call me Ali."
job: "I have several tasks I perform daily here in Exin, as we all do. During the day, I spend a good chunk of my time watching over the gate, for any signs of the creatures outside breaking in. I also spend some time working in the livestock area. I find my work so rewarding here, since I know I am helping myself and my fellow workers. So much better than the work I did in Flog, where my labors went to feed the Fiend."
Agressat: "I had a... difficult time crossing the island and avoiding the monsters in order to get here to salvation in the form of Exin. I do not wish to discuss the things that... hurt me as I came here. For me, now, there is only Exin."
Exin: "You're in Exin, and cannot you see how very well it, well, works? If you've been to Flog - if you haven't, I'd recommend you stay away - you'll know that this place is built as an equal and opposite reaction to Flog. Well, perhaps not equal. But this is the place for those who have the graces to manage to escape, and who want to start a good life afresh."
Flog: "The great lost city on this island. The poor inhabitants... the vicious Ronan. The memories swim back to me as I think about Flog: but they are memories I do not want to think of."
Ronan: "Ronan. Simply put, the great Fiend must die. I feel some guilt for coming here to Exin while he remains in power over poor Flog and its citizens. He needs to be executed: that's why I was a member of the Slayers while I still lived in Flog. I couldn't take it any more though, I had to come here. Is that irresponsible, self-centered of me? You think whatever you want. I did what I had to do."
Slayers: "The Slayers were truly my saving grace in Flog... they supported me as I became weaker and weaker due to overwork and malnutrition. They stood by me, and when I said Ronan must die at all costs, they supported me. There are certain evils which society cannot tolerate, and Ronan is certainly one of those. I only wish I could be the one to carry out his execution."

You may recall that the Slayers were mentioned in the most recent of Rian's diary entries that we found. Now we know a bit more about them.

Not far from the stockyard is a field of ambiguous "crops". The blue-cloaked man isn't willing to talk, but the blonde woman is.

name: "My name is... well, it's actually Charlene, but everyone just calls me Sharon. I hope you will too."
job: "Well, here in Exin I spend half my day tending the fields in the Northwest corner, and for the rest I work on the Exin planning committee. We work to figure out ways to smuggle more people of... the city to the South and bring them here, a place where all can truly live. You're welcome to stop in at a meeting any afternoon you like. We meet in the meeting room connected to the supply shed. We'd love to have your input."
Agressat: "Agressat is such a fine island, it really is. The monsters though they... I have nightmares about them. It is lucky for us this town is so well fortified. I often wonder who buffered the walls so effectively, in order to keep the creatures out. It also keeps out the island and all its natural beauty. Someday... the monsters will all shrivel up and we shall all be free... all of us. And that will be the day, the day we are all free again."
Exin: "Exin really saved me... saved my sanity, and my health. It is so... wonderful here. So free, everyone gets along so well... I do not want to paint it as a utopia, which it surely is not. But, at the same time, it is so wonderful to... be free at last. I only have flashbacks of my time before I lived here in Exin, but they are not pretty. Not pretty at all. Exin is my savior."
Flog: "Please, I... do not remember well my time in that city to the South. It was not a good time. I do not wish to speak of it."
monster: "No... no I don't want to speak about the wretched creatures out there who wander the land. No, no, no, I cannot."

Back at the dining hall, this lady is in the kitchen.

name: "My name's Mary. It's short for Moonslapper."
job: "I'm in charge of preparing the food that is grown right here in Exin. Before I came here, I was the cook in Flog, and that was not something I would want to do again, believe you me."
Agressat: "I often wonder about how great life could be if we could use all of this great island of Agressat. Inside Exin we have limited space to work with: we can't grow much variety, animal or vegetable. But with all of Agressat to use, imagine. But it'll never happen: the monsters would kill you before you had anything planted in the ground."
Exin: "Exin sure is an improvement over that city to the south, the notorious Flog. There's more... community here. People walk around with glimmers of hope in their eyes. It's warming after seeing the drained poor devils at Flog. And from a culinary standpoint, well, Exin wins hands down, if I do say so myself."
Flog: "Flog under Ronan is certainly no place for a cook: unless you were maybe his private cook. I heard that he lives in the lap of luxury - culinary and otherwise - up in that giant tower of his. Everyone else gets the scraps that are left: not enough to make real food out of. When I was the cook there, in the North Kitchen, most people were pretty understanding that I had very little to work with. Very little. Of course, that about sums up the town on the whole and what the people unfortunate to still live there have to live for: very little."
Ronan: "The fat slob, Ronan the Fiend. That must be work for some poor devil: trying to feed that beast. Not something I would relish doing, I can assure you. I'd like to feed him... to the monsters outside of Flog, that's it."
monster: "The monsters that roam the surface of Agressat are ferocious and bloodthirsty all-right: whether they're worse than the monsters inside Flog, that's another question."

...Moonslapper?

Now that it's noon, there are a lot more people in the dining hall. Most of them aren't willing to talk, but this one is.

name: "My name is Victor, son of the Creator."
job: "I work along with my fellow refugees in the livestock area of Exin. It is my pleasure to help grow and nurture more of the Creator's beasts, so that they can live out their destinies to feed us each equally."
Exin: "Exin is the sort of community that my Creator endorses and which he hopes will thrive. Here we all do our share, we are all charitable, we all respect each other as individuals. Perhaps it is because we have all witnessed the horror of the other extreme, of the evil forces in the city to the South, so we know what the alternative to our communal way of living is. So here we strive for the community, and here, amazingly through my Creator's grace, it works."
Flog: "My Creator has told me personally not to speak of the terrors in the city to the South - Flog, I believe they call it. I lived there for a time, and I know that if anything is working against the greater goodness of my Creator it is Flog, Ronan, the Minions, and all that exists to make people unhappy in that town. There everything was out of its predestined proportion: Ronan received more than his Creator-given share of the food, while we all worked more than our share of the labor. It was unjust, it was an insult in the face of Holiness, and I thank my Creator I escaped."
monster: "The monsters that roam the countryside outside our fair commune? They are nothing my Creator would have made. No, nothing of the sort, they are an unholy scourge against which we must expend all our energy to fight. Yet, at the same time, my Creator urges me to consider whether those creatures too have hopes, dreams, emotions, aspirations... But, as long as they spend their time destroying, I can have little sympathy for them. With Exin as it is, I do believe a possible coexistence has been established. Praise the Creator."
Creator: "I have discovered happiness through my Creator, and you can too. But you must do it on your own. I cannot, emphatically I say I cannot, show you the way. You must search your soul until you find your own true self, your own true Creator, and your own true destiny. Many have asked me how they could be as spiritually content as I, but I can offer them no advice. For each journey is its own journey, and I cannot chart yours for you. You must find the map yourself."

Victor has some pretty interesting beliefs that, truth be told, aren't too far from mine. There's one more townsperson to talk to...

...and here he is.

name: "My name is Kaleb."
job: "I work at the farm here in Exin, as I did back in Flog, before I escaped... I'm also in charge of watching for the Minions for a couple of hours each night. And that's not an easy task."
Elizabeth: "By majority agreement, Elizabeth was appointed our leader here, if we truly can be considered to have one. She's it... she understands why we're all here, knows how to make things run smoothly so it all, well, works out in the end. I mean, who knows how she does it? But she does, she's really wonderful. You should talk to her, if you haven't yet."
Agressat: "A lot of people down in Flog forget that there's a large island outside of Flog. Agressat is its name, and it is a fine island. Except for those monsters, I suppose, they are terrible. Where is it that all these horrors come from? Ronan, his Minions, those monsters? I mean, they just don't fit in with all the beauty I see around here. Hah, perhaps there's some God above inflicting them on us for our sins, who knows? Agressat though, a nice place, but no one could live there without something to protect them."
Exin: "This is the town we have made home, here in Exin. Those who just can't take it in Flog anymore, risk their lives against the monsters to come here to Exin. It was abandoned long ago... well, not really abandoned. When the monsters came years and years and years ago, they ravaged the town, killing all its inhabitants. But when the situation got so bad in Flog, a bunch of people escaped there and came up here and rebuilt the city. Ask Elizabeth, she really knows much more than I do."
Flog: "I do miss Flog... well, parts of it. I really don't miss everything that Ronan did - the long, intolerable hours, the lack of food, the random killings. No, I don't miss that. And I don't miss the hatred that ran rampant among the people - not toward Ronan, that was justified I guess. But between Pax Flog and the Slayers. Just stupid. But I do miss a time when Rebecca, Jay and I, no matter how unhappy we were with Flog, at least we were all together. And now, that will never happen again."
Ronan: "Ronan, the great Fiend. He... I don't want to go over all that he has done to hurt and debase people in Flog. He was part of the reason I risked my life - and my family's life, oh what a mistake that was - to come here to Exin. But, I don't know if it's him who's worse in Flog, or if it's the hatred between the Pax Flog and the Slayers. But, well Ronan's... unspeakable, really."
Minion: "Those Minions sure are something else, aren't they? I mean, they're all the same as each other, and there are just so many of them. Where does Ronan get them all from? It's lucky for all that they're so stupid... Ronan sends a horde of them through here every couple of weeks to see if anyone is living out here. We hide in these two refuges Elizabeth set up - one's even under my house - though, sadly, stragglers have been killed on the spot. But the Minions have never found all of us, thankfully. They are weird creatures, though..."
Slayers: "Those two groups - Pax Flog and the Slayers - they were one of the main reasons I knew I had to leave Flog at all costs. I mean, I knew the risks... and now I know them all too well, what with Rebecca gone forever and Jay just as well gone forever. But those two groups... I mean, no one will deny the horrors Ronan was inflicting on Flog, truly dreadful stuff. No contesting that, but then the Slayers and Pax Flog, both so sure they're right and the other are dead wrong. And their hatred for each other made the town just as wretched a place to live in as did Ronan. I mean, is either of them any righter than the other? No, I don't think so."
monster: "The monsters. I have heard they came to our island of Agressat so long ago... they ravaged Exin, nearly destroyed Flog. But Ronan was able to stave them off all-right. The Monsters are frightful creatures, and I think that's one reason a lot more people don't leave Flog. The trip to Exin is very dangerous, with those creatures roaming the countryside. I barely escaped them myself, when I came here. But, what's worse, the monsters outside Flog, or the ones inside? I chose the ones outside, and made it here to Exin."

Rebecca and Jay, who he mentioned in response to "Flog", are presumably his wife and child. Asking him about them will yield these responses.

Looks like we've got a quest hook. Before that, though, we may have talked to everyone, but there's still more of Exin to explore.

First stop, Kaleb's house, in the northeast part of town. You may recall that there's a refuge under here, but there doesn't seem to be any sort of ladder or stairs.

Last edited by Kahran042; 01-20-2019 at 06:28 AM.
Old 01-20-2019, 04:18 AM

Default Continued from previous post.

That's because the ladder is hidden under this bed.

The refuge itself contains some Boots, a Longer Sword, a Midnight Star, a War Axe, a Large Shield, and a Wooden Shield. Nothing really worth taking, but still nice to know.

The house directly south of Kaleb's is empty, as are most of the houses in Exin, but the one south of that has a trunk containing an Amethyst.

This is the meeting room that Ali mentioned. The north door leads to the storeroom, but there isn't anything else of interest here.

This ladder leads to the southern refuge.

Said refuge contains much better gear than its northern counterpart. Specifically, some Boots, a Moood Shield, a pair of Moood Gauntlets, a Buck and a Quarterstaff, a War Hammer, a copy of the psionic Acid Rain, and a pair of regular Gauntlets. OK, it's not that great, but at least the Moood Gauntlets are new. That's everything inside the walls of Exin explored, but there is one more hidden area.

Using Chart Master reveals that there's a ladder just outside the town walls, in a place where it can't be seen from inside the town.

However, the designers wouldn't have put it there if there weren't a way to access it. Specifically, go just south of the gate, then hug the walls until you reach it.

It leads to a small cave containing a Green Bow, some Moood Headed Arrows, a Mace of Malice, a Horrific Halberd, the defensive psionic Hard Air, and a Handmade Book, reading as follows:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handmade Book
I do not think that anyone will ever read this book, which leads me to wonder why I write it. It is just part of understanding what I am - why I am different than the others. Writing this down helps me to understand, more than anything else, myself. This book is no solution to any to my problems, but it is a start.
I remember back to my beginning, when I emerged from the mirror on the top floor of Ronan's tower. There were others before and after me, I was in the midst of a 'set' of us. From the beginning, all I could feel was intense pain. The pain was constant, throbbing, forceful pain, a pain which continues in me to this day. The only thing that seemed to have any lessening effect on this pain was when I followed Ronan's directions. I understand now, that people who are not as me - who are not Minions - the normal people who live in Flog - they do not live a life of pain. There can be, in the right circumstances, a happy life. And though I could never overcome the pain in myself, I wanted to help the others.
I don't know what it was that set me apart from the others: it is not just my intelligence. The Minions are not as stupid as many might think, but the constant pain was such that our brains simply became numbed. For me, I guess, I was able to think clearly and effectively even with the pain, and so I was able to realize what I was. I began to be able to resist Ronan's directives, without too much of an increase in the pain. Was it mind over matter? I don't know, I cannot begin to understand why I am different. But the other Minions, I know, they are just in too much pain t¨o be able to do anything other than try to lessen that pain at any cost. This may sound like a fool blathering on to the reader, but there will be no reader of this document. And the stream-of-consciousness writing proves very cathartic to me, and that is what is important.
This may be a good spot to clearly note that I have no memory of existence before emerging from the mirror. It is as if I came fully into being right then, but I know that is not the case simply because it cannot be the case. So, where did I truly come from? I know, or at least have become accustomed to the realization, that I will never know.
So, I was then able to do what the others could not: think for myself. I educated myself in a number of ways, not least of which was learning to read and write, such that I am able to construct the document you - who surely will never exist - see before you. All my learning had to be done in secret, since if the other Minions saw me they might feel compelled - through the pain, of course - to report my actions to Ronan, who would then feel compelled to have me killed. So, I have kept myself, and my nature, a secret.
My true desire was to kill Ronan so as to liberate all the people who so desperately needed liberation in Flog. But the mere thought of that brought me such pain that I could do nothing to that end. But, if one cannot stop the despot, one removes the people from where the despot can kill them. Escaping through a secret exit in the Flog wall that I designed and built secretly, I found a town to the north, Exin, which had been abandoned since it was overrun by the monsters that roam the surface of Agressat. But, I reasoned, the town could be fixed - repaired in many ways, really - without too much work, and so I set about to perform that work. My foremost task was to patch up the walls so that they could absolutely hold out the monsters. For the people of Flog are not so equipped to ward off the strange creatures, as I was. Am I a monster myself? I often wonder. A type of monster, I suppose, which leads me to wonder how I can call them monsters. Perhaps, simply, their pain is greater than mine.
And so it was that I fixed up Exin such that people could live in it, safely. And most importantly, without Ronan to ruin them. This I did all at night, in the secret. And I was successful at my clandestine task - my renovated city was ready for inhabitants. So, one night, I snuck four people out of Flog and took them to Exin. Not just any people, but some of the most resourceful, hard working, and honest of the people I could find. Though I had learned to read and write, I still could not speak in a way that they could understand, so communicating the sincerity of my actions proved quite difficult. But, I managed, and lead four people to a new life here in Exin. I set them up farming, and built little shelters in which they could hide should the Minions sweep through Exin, as they did on infrequent occasions. The town would look just as abandoned to the Minions who were in too much pain to look too closely and notice the improvements I had made. Exin would prove a safe haven for these people, I hoped, a way to start again.
And so those initial four people were followed by five more. It was then that the terrible thing happened: on returning to do some more work on Exin, to improve it for my new inhabitants, I was confronted by them. Now nine in number, they fought bitterly to keep me out of the town. They saw me as an invader to their new world of happiness. No matter what I tried, they could not seem to remember that it was I who had lead them there in the first place: years of suffering at the hands of my brethren who did it only for want of an alternative, had prejudiced them, and rightly so, against all of my kind. The people I had tried to save rejected me, and it was this that... made me lose much of my motivation. I could not bring myself to do work for which I would just be rejected and misunderstood. Still, I snuck in and did some further repair work, and the people managed to survive.
From this point on, then, I just wandered Agressat. Hiding here and there, avoiding the eyes of both other Minions and the new inhabitants of Exin. They got along rather well, the people I had rescued: they brought more of their kind, and developed a safe-haven which has not, as of this writing, been discovered by Ronan. I have started them on their way - set their world going in a way that is just and fair and acceptable to them. And now I see them thrive. Sometimes I wonder if a creator has a right to ask more than that: one starts them off, and then they must face the challenges of the world. It was selfish of me to expect more, something in return perhaps. Or was it? I certainly do not have all the answers. I would have gladly been there to protect them and help them thrive, but, it was not to be.
I have come to have something of a life of my own now: at least I manage to content myself. Now, my quest is to understand why I am different. What happened to me that made me so different, made me able to bear the pain while others of my lot could only bow down to it? And where did I come from, how do we Minions come to exist at all? Where do the monsters come from? Why is this island so isolated? Who can say? No one, at this point, but soon I hope someone will be able to say. That someone will be me.
Very interesting stuff, here. Looks like Exin was set up by a Minion who was able to somehow defy Ronan to a degree. With this bit of info revealed and all of Exin explored, that seems like a good place to end the update. Next time, should I reunite Kaleb with his son, investigate the town of Satch, or solve the sixth and final Vex Chamber?

Also, if Moood is supposed to be lightweight, then why do the Moood Gauntlets weigh 550 pounds?
Old 01-20-2019, 07:00 AM

My guess is someone forgot a decimal point.

Vex Chamber because that's the tradition.
Old 01-21-2019, 04:32 AM

Default A Vexing Situation VI: The Mandate of Heaven

Quote:
My guess is someone forgot a decimal point.
That would make sense, and may also explain why the Battle Boots weigh 110 pounds.

Quote:
Vex Chamber because that's the tradition.
Sounds good to me.

Against my better judgment, I decided to equip Katrielle with the Green Bow for the journey south, and was not disappointed - it took out a pair of Hoppers pretty well, although I'm not sure of how much it was the bow and how much it was the Arrows of Slaying. The Beast is nearly as good with normal Bolts, so I'm inclined to think it's the bow, rather than the ammunition.

That castle is Flog, Ronan's seat of power and the former home to the people of Exin. We'll be visiting it later, but for now let's continue to the southwest, where the Vex Chamber is located.

With this one, that's four out of six Vex Chamber entrances in swamps. I wonder if there's some reason for that, or I'm just overthinking things?

It's nice to hear the Vex Chamber music again. The standard note is at the entrance, so let's read it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vex the Sixth Note
Determined you are, I will concede you that. But won't your wanderlust ever wear down? When I made up six Vex Chambers, I never expected you to make it through all of them. But let me allow that making them up has been a good amount of fun. At the end of this Chamber there's a little something extra that will help you in what I am surmising is your final quest: I could just be mean and leave you stuck on the island chain, but truly, I'm a nicer chap than that. But let me once again warn you that you would be unwise to use it until you're absolutely sure you're ready to. This Chamber requires no introduction, save that you should read the fable. Be seeing you. - N.

The fable in question is right here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fable
A dying king had five sons, each of whom wished dearly to take his place on the throne. However, when he died, the King wanted the smartest to take his place, not simply the oldest as tradition held. He gave them a Vex, and told them that the one who was able to solve it first would be the one to succeed him. After receiving the Vex, the first-born son waited but a second, then jumped in with his answer. 'Wrong' spake the king. Daunted by their oldest brother's quick failure, the sons waited in deep thought. Thinking he must be right, the second-born came forward with his answer. 'Wrong' spake the king. The center of attention was now focused on the third-born, who timidly made his guess. 'Wrong' spake the king. The fourth born was always next to last whenever all the brothers were involved, and so he deliver his answer now. 'Wrong' spake the King. Then only the fifth-born son was left, but before he could speak his answer the King stood up quickly, his withered hand clutching his chest. With a single groan, the King fell dead to the ground. The court went into an uproar, fearing a civil war would be the solution to the king's plan of succession. But then a gaily attired juggler came out of the crowd, effortlessly tossing in the air five magic golden balls. 'I know the succession order' he cried, placing his five balls upon the table. What was the arrangement of the spheres?

This is the main room of the Vex Chamber. As you can see, there are five golden balls, or Sun Spheres, here. They have to be placed on the table in the middle of the room in a certain order to solve the Vex. Can you figure out what that order is? And, once the Vex is solved, should we explore the ruins of Satch or search for Jay?
Old 01-21-2019, 06:12 AM
Yes, let's feast!

Pronouns: he

Sounds like the juggler should get the throne.

Tradition holds that the succession order is 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. I suppose that's probably not the answer, though.
Old 01-21-2019, 06:27 AM

I assume 1's the biggest.
5-1-3-4-2
Old 01-21-2019, 09:46 AM
Are You Sure About That?

Pronouns: He/Him/His

I would assume that the spheres have individual weights, so next step would be to determine how the weight affects order (I'd guess the heaviest would also be the 'oldest').
Old 01-21-2019, 06:49 PM
????? LV 13 HP 292/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahran042 View Post
should we explore the ruins of Satch or search for Jay?
Satch, natch.
Old 01-21-2019, 10:57 PM

Default Satch and Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyblue View Post
I would assume that the spheres have individual weights, so next step would be to determine how the weight affects order (I'd guess the heaviest would also be the 'oldest').
The spheres are actually directly called the First through Fifth Sun Spheres and, as seen in the previous post, have distinct sizes, so there's one less step in figuring this out. But as for the actual order? Yama got it, and here's why.

"After receiving the Vex, the first-born son waited but a second, then jumped in with his answer."

"Thinking he must be right, the second-born came forward with his answer."

"The center of attention was now focused on the third-born, who timidly made his guess."

"The fourth born was always next to last whenever all the brothers were involved, and so he deliver his answer now."

Which means that the king's chosen heir is the fifth son. When all five Sun Spheres are in place, the door at the north end of the room opens.

It leads to another N Staff and a rune which permanently boosts Katrielle's maximum HP by 20. And that's all six Vex Chambers solved. Torzelbaum suggested visiting Satch, so let's head there.

It's on the southeast coast of Agressat, not far from the Vex Chamber.

Like every other ruined town so far, it's full of monsters.

It also has ruined buildings with empty trunks and useless tool-weapons.

Holy crap! I did not know Insecteri could appear on the surface.

Fortunately, this building has a door and solid walls, so it's a good place to rest off my wounds from fighting my way in. In addition to the Bastitch Sword, War Hammer, and Note, there's also a trunk containing Angel of Death, a powerful close-range electric psionic, and a Pearl. As for the note, it reads as follows:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Notes
As I lay dying, I write this testimony of the last week of my life, so that it might help others to understand what has happened here on the island of Agressat. For these are very strange times indeed, and occurrences that have happened to me in such bizarre succession are so boring to one who grew up but a tailor in the town of Flog.
I remember distinctly the day the monsters came to Agressat: I was working in my shop and heard loud sounds coming from out in the streets of Flog. At first I was bewildered: has the great civilization that Ronan the Friend has built up suddenly come crashing down about us? Has the creator decided that we are too advanced, that we must start again from nothing? And as I went outside to see for myself, my suspicions were confirmed. Running about the streets, destroying everything in their path were these horrific, red, winged monsters. They were a scourge from above, there could be no doubt!
The beasts were making short work of our city, until these other, strange blue beasts suddenly showed up. They were violent and ferocious as well, though they seemed to actually be fighting with the red beasts. I had no plan to stay around in Flog and find out, and my thoughts shifted to my brother who lived to the South in the town of Satch, which is no-doubt where you have found this very writing. So I decided, perhaps that town, not so advanced in its ways, was not suffering such a scourge as we then did, so I took flight. It was not as easy as I hoped, and I was badly injured by one creature as I fled the town. I made it to the mountains South of Flog and hid there for a time - it must have been a couple of days - until I could travel again.
Leaving the cave, I made the trip south to Satch only to find... the horror! The town had been thoroughly ravaged, it appeared as wrecked as Flog. On my arrival there were no more of the creatures left in Satch, and I saw the bodies of the dead lying everywhere, abandoned by the creatures which had destroyed them. I found one building still intact, and hid out there for a time.
It was then that the strange thing happened... the truly strange occurrence to top off the other events which had destroyed the way of life and the very life itself which I had known. A man came to Satch, one day later, and I witnessed him will a creature to bits. It came up to attack him and he simply stared at it intensely and it exploded. It was, well, revolting. This man was average height, well built, dressed entirely in a red outfit which appeared to be made of cured animal hides. In no time at all this man found me: it was as if he sensed my hiding presence. I thought perhaps he had a similar fate in store for me but instead he came to, it would seem, gloat. He claimed that he was the right-hand man to the man responsible for all that had happened on Agressat. As he said it, there was a glee to his voice that I found revolting: who could proudly take credit for these horrors. 'My mentor is the one is pulling all the strings now,' I distinctly remember him saying, a wide grin of pride on his face.
He talked more at some length, but I couldn't believe what he said, and have blocked most of it out. He said we were to be the subjects of the greatest experiment ever, a test to see how much we could endure, what adverse conditions would alter us in which ways. All the while his egomania was nearly unbearable. Soon, though, he insisted he had to leave. As he did he dropped a piece of paper I found nearly indecipherable, which I have left in the trunk in my room, hopefully for someone to put to a good use, some day. He wished me luck, and hoped I understood how important we all were to the great experiment, whatever that might be. And then he was gone, and I thank the Creator daily that he never returned.
Shortly after that strange, unbelievable incident, I was wandering about Satch when a monster snuck up on me and mortally wounded me. It in is my near death condition that I record this information for you, kind reader, so that you can take the information that I have gathered about the bizarre events on Flog, and put it to good use. I only hope that you actually exist, reader, or else my last hours have been wasted for naught.

Something that kind of bugs me about this: This is a Hopper, presumably the "horrific, red, winged monsters" mentioned in the note. But they don't have wings, as you can see.

Next to the safe house is a ruined building containing a very welcome Healing Herb.

And across the street is what appears to be a shop of some kind. The door is locked, but that's kind of pointless considering the big gaping hole in the wall.

South of that is what was probably once an armory, containing a Scimitar, a Silken Spear, a Sixth Staff, a War Axe, a Bastitch Sword, a Horrific Halberd, an Eviscerator, a Glaive, a Moood Plate, some Beast Hide Armor, some Leather Armor, a Kick Axe, and two Spleen Slicers. By the way, Beast Hide Armor looks totally ridiculous, so I have to show it off.

Next door to the armory is a room filled with a bunch of chairs, a War Axe, and a Woodsman's Axe.

As a sign of what bad shape Satch is in, there's a door just standing here without a wall, and a bed in the middle of the road.

I'm not sure if this is a reference to anything, or just flavor. None of the other buildings in Satch have anything interesting AFAIK, so that's it for this update. Next time, we take a sneak peek at Flog in search of Jay.

Last edited by Kahran042; 01-22-2019 at 09:13 PM.

Tags
macintosh , obscure game , odyssey , rpg , the legend of nemesis , what is art?