The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about TV and film

Old 08-17-2012, 05:22 PM
gatchapon 3*

Quote:
Originally Posted by tungwene View Post
Tampopo is so good. How can it be so good?

Funny observation: at the time the movie was made the anachronistic fedoras were supposed to evoke a certain time/movie genre but since fedoras happen to be in fashion again it had a different bizarro effect of making the movie feel a bit more modern day.
it is, in fact, the best media to come from japan.
Old 08-17-2012, 08:31 PM
grab me some popcorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivam View Post
it is, in fact, the best media to come from japan.
ain't that the truth
Old 08-17-2012, 08:59 PM
Oily Butt Thing

Bloodsport is still the best Van Damme movie. (Hard Target I tend to categorize as a bad John Woo movie more than a good Van Damme movie.)
Old 08-18-2012, 01:29 AM
The Shogun of Harlem

You're a good man Dr. Jones
Old 08-18-2012, 02:46 PM
Gesundheit!

Persona: This was pretty striking but as with all Bergman I feel like there was a lot that went over my head. Anyone know a good critical reading of the film?
Old 08-18-2012, 03:51 PM

They're certainly out there. I can't really recommend any because I'm unfamiliar with them.

It's been some time since I've had a fresh viewing but my reading was to take everything the doctor with the pointy noise said at face value and the rest of the movie too.

The surest part of the story is that Elisabet falls into a deep depression (postpartum depression?) after rejecting motherhood. She is able to regain some semblance of vitality by being isolated with the friendly Alma. Then it's a psychic battle of wills once Alma finds out Elisabet is just using her.

I think Elisabet's life as an actress and the realities of motherhood disrupted her mental health. Hence the muteness, the horrific non-sequitur imagery and the fourth-wall breaking. She maintains control by blocking out the trauma of her previous life and being a (exploitative?) spectator of Alma, probably to vindicate her own life where she had to play roles and never had a real self and was scared of what her real self might be. But I think the "theater as a metaphor for life" is common Bergman trope.

I think it all comes down to her character dealing with guilt and authenticity and how this makes her an emotional vampire around people. The movie pessimistically ends without any redemption or consolation.

Did you watch it on the MGM disc? It comes with a commentary by a Bergman scholar. It's pretty bad.
Old 08-18-2012, 04:02 PM

I watched Pontypool on Netflix. Its about as good as low-budget horror gets. I thought the sound play in the radio station and how it tied into the plot was very clever.

Sydney Briar is Alive looping over the climax was awesome. What an effective sequence.

The combination of radio station and horror reminds me that I still need to see Martin sometime.
Old 08-18-2012, 04:04 PM
l AM THE MANFIGHTER

Pontypool eh? Never heard of it. I will try it out!
Old 08-18-2012, 04:33 PM
Gesundheit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy View Post
Did you watch it on the MGM disc? It comes with a commentary by a Bergman scholar. It's pretty bad.
Yeah, but I rarely do commentaries unless I hear they're particularly exceptional, because it amounts timewise to watching the movie twice.

That all makes sense, and it's roughly what I got out of the film. Bergman movies always feel like such a slog until I realize about an hour in that I've become totally engrossed.
Old 08-18-2012, 05:29 PM
It's all good, man

The Expendables 2 is what The Expendables should have been. And I enjoyed The Expendables.
Old 08-18-2012, 05:30 PM
Time for singing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Sly Ry View Post
It's on netflix. Or it was.

Pretty amazing.

And the sequel's coming out soon, too! Which... might be ok.
Old 08-18-2012, 05:41 PM
does the Underpants Dance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Sly Ry View Post
Pontypool blew me away when I first watched it. I didn't really know much about it other than it was kind of a zombie movie, but man the premise is just so unique and well done that I can forgive any other hiccups (of which there aren't many in the first place).

I was unaware there was even a sequel in the works -- I'm cautiously optimistic about that since I don't think it really needs one, but hopefully they can do some good things with it.
Old 08-18-2012, 06:16 PM
120 Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9inchsamurai View Post
Pontypool blew me away when I first watched it. I didn't really know much about it other than it was kind of a zombie movie, but man the premise is just so unique and well done that I can forgive any other hiccups (of which there aren't many in the first place).

I was unaware there was even a sequel in the works -- I'm cautiously optimistic about that since I don't think it really needs one, but hopefully they can do some good things with it.
Bruce McDonald is sequelizing a lot of his work - there is a Hard Core Logo 2 for some reason.
Old 08-18-2012, 06:23 PM

Guess we can expect The Tracey Fragments: Too Fragmented?
Old 08-18-2012, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chud_666 View Post
Bruce McDonald is sequelizing a lot of his work - there is a Hard Core Logo 2 for some reason.
He probably planed them as a trilogy all along.
Old 08-18-2012, 07:53 PM
Time for singing

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9inchsamurai View Post
It's Pontypool Changes, then the third one is Pontypool Changes Everything. No clue what they're about, other than in general.
Old 08-18-2012, 10:15 PM
Conquers the World

So Paranorman was really good, and there was a lot of clever stuff in it, but it also could have used a cliche editor real bad. "That story you were telling... how does it end?" "I think that part... is up to you."

My other main problem with it was that it had an annoying tendency to spell out all of the themes. "These zombies all got scared and did something they regretted! It's just like how you people are scared of me! You and the zombies are the same!" It made me a little mad because earlier there was a scene where the protagonists barricade themselves in the town hall and the angry mob starts bursting through the windows like zombies and I was like "oh, that's clever!" but then they just could not resist outright telling us why it was clever. I defend the Nolan Batman movies a lot and people accuse those of spelling things out, but it never got this bad. "Alfred, the fear gas is making people afraid of each other and causing them to attack everyone! It's just like the bats in the well I fell into as a boy!"

Also what was up with Norman setting out to reason with Agatha rather than simply lull her to sleep and then immediately trying to obviously suggest that she go to sleep? It's no wonder she got so pissed!

But yeah, still great. It was beautiful. I still give it an A.
Old 08-18-2012, 11:08 PM
Justice is my Middle Name

Expendables 2 was dumb. It was fun, but dumb.
Old 08-18-2012, 11:24 PM

Beetlejuice was entertaining.
Old 08-18-2012, 11:31 PM
For blood and gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badinage View Post
Oh man, I can't believe I forgot to order tickets to that tonight. Was it better than the original MST episode? As funny as it was, it kind of felt like the movie actually brought the whole episode down.
I haven't seen the original MST3k episode of Manos, but everyone I talked to said this riffing of it was better. They all thought the jokes and conversation flowed better making it easier to actually watch this abomination of a movie.
Old 08-18-2012, 11:32 PM
borgn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy View Post
Beetlejuice was entertaining.
It is so great. Delia Deetz' wardrobe is inspiring.
Old 08-18-2012, 11:41 PM

It's such an unusual mix of horror and comedy and satire I'm surprised it was a commercial hit and spawned a cartoon. Keaton's performance rivals Jack Nicholson at his craziest in this one, too. If Baldwin's hair was blonder, I'd swear he look exactly like Gosling.
Old 08-18-2012, 11:45 PM
23 ski-dook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
Paranorman
Yeah, I thought it was really great too. It is an incredibly pretty movie.

I had issues with the overtness of the themes and stuff too, but another problem was how I never really felt like there was any clear threat of Aggie's curse. Like, what does it do other than raise a bunch of harmless dead guys out of the ground and look spooky? I mean, Norman's final confrontation with LIGHTNING AGGIE made up for that, but it's just a niggling thought.

Also, Mitch being gay was awesome.

Last edited by DemoWeasel; 08-18-2012 at 11:56 PM.
Old 08-19-2012, 12:04 AM
Conquers the World

I actually kind of liked her curse, since rather than being about unleashing a zombie plague it's more about causing a lot of senseless violence and pandemonium fueled by paranoia, the same kind of thing that killed her on a larger scale. The zombie puritans get put into Agatha's position by becoming the object of misguided persecution and violence and the townspeople are turned into monsters fueled by their refusal to accept what they can't understand. I mean, it's a kids' movie so nobody dies, but for a moment the ensuing panic resulted in an angry mob almost killing Norman!

Also speaking of the Puritans the part where they see the billboard celebrating alcohol, gambling, money and sex was hillarious
Old 08-19-2012, 10:26 AM
Cobra and Phases Group

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zef View Post
Whoa, has it really been six years since I first (and last) watched the MSTing of Manos: The Hands of Fate?

It really is an atrocious movie, but, somehow, it's not as bad as I remembered. Maybe it's because even the MST guys had a hard time with it in the TV version, but I remember it being dull and nonsensical. Now, though, it's just unbelievably disastrous but in a hilarious way, kind of like watching a train full of clowns derail. Even without the riffing, it's just laughable: the long, pointless shots of driving around Texas, Torgo's acting, the incredibly ill-fitting soundtrack, Torgo's creepy acting, the editing --oh GOD the editing!-- Torgo's drunk hobo acting, the photography, Torgo's haunting theme...
Manos was like my first MST3k episode. I'm not sure I could handle seeing it with Mike instead of Joel, it would just be weird.

I agree it's entertaining enough without the riffing, as you really notice the absurdly extended pauses where no-one is saying or doing anything for minutes at a time. Like the hilarious bit when Mike & Margaret just stare at the painting of the Master...for ages.

"Oh, Mike! It's horrible!"

To my mind, Monster A-go-go is the worst film the MST3k crew ever tackled. It's so devoid of anything that could possibly be entertaining, just a big grey nothing of a film.
Old 08-19-2012, 05:46 PM
#2 Aero the Acro-Bat Fan

The Expendables 2 was a very, very stupid movie. And awesome.

I'd shied away from the first one, hearing about how plodding it was, the plot just being Rambo with other guys in it, and kind of wasting the potential of the cast. Not so here.

Just a ridiculous, over-the-top mass of one liners, explosions, gunfire, ass kicking, with a little bit of talky bits here and there to give you a break. If you're the type of person who thinks the concept is interesting, prepare for possibly your favorite comedy of the year.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go punch something then lift some weights.
Old 08-20-2012, 04:19 PM
Tiger, Tiger, muddy dark

RIP Tony Scott.

I wasn't a big fan of his movies, but in his honor I'm now putting the ones I missed on my queue.
Old 08-20-2012, 05:08 PM
does the Underpants Dance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vega View Post
RIP Tony Scott.

I wasn't a big fan of his movies, but in his honor I'm now putting the ones I missed on my queue.
Holy crap, he's dead?! True Romance is one of my favorite movies (though it's arguable how much his influence could be attributed to that).
Old 08-20-2012, 05:14 PM

Man, it's been a while since I've seen them all and some I haven't seen at all. But here are my favorite of his movies:

- Man on Fire
- Top Gun
- The Fan
- Enemy of the State
- The Taking of Pelham 123
- Spy Game
Old 08-20-2012, 07:14 PM
Oily Butt Thing

I love Domino, even if it is like the hottest mess in the history of heat or messes.

Tags
fast and fury road , fear of new threads , film , francoquest , francostein , james franco , jess franco , movies , reviews , wild speed: sky mission , you seen fury road , you'll like fury road