The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about meatspace games

Old 06-09-2017, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki View Post
There's no criteria past the rules Issun set out and your own personal judgment.
What I meant is this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Issun
With a couple of exceptions I only requested contributions for games in the top 30 so people would have time to write stuff, and kept it to games with less than three top votes, so as to avoid clutter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirin
Interestingly, I can now assume that all of my top few games either (a) didn't even make the top 30, or (b) had other people voting for them as high or higher than I did. Oh no spoilerz.
I assume there's some hidden rule that if you rated a game highest that made it to the top list that you have to contribute something?
Old 06-09-2017, 07:39 AM
Bertolli?!?...

Rya, they are referring to this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Issun View Post
I am going to start sending out blurb requests this evening for stuff that's definitely going to make the upper tiers from the people who nominated them highest. You don't have to say anything, but if you want to, dooo eeet.
It is not any kind of standard rule, but rather something that Issun opted to do with this list, and that one or two other list-runners have done previously.
Old 06-09-2017, 07:44 AM
Bertolli?!?...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanagi View Post
The timing is messed up in emulators, so you really need a GBA flashcart to properly play it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by conchobhar View Post
Not really a good comparison. MOTHER 3's rhythm combos, while neat, are also completely incidental to the game. It's not a critical mechanic and the battles aren't balanced around them; its closest cousin would be, like, random fluctuation in damage. It's not crucial in the least and I'd hate to think it's put anyone off from playing such an excellent game.
People say this every time this comes up, and I have to chime in and disagree every time. I tried playing Mother 3 in emulation, and had to give up in disgust over how frustrating it was to feel like I wasn't having the intended experience:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBear View Post
I never finished Mother 3, but, to be clear, I consider this a personal failing. It is an amazing game, and once that heart-breaking prologue concluded it really got its hooks in me, but I just burned out on it and stopped playing roughly 2/3 of the way through. It was really long, and I was pretty busy at the time, but honestly I think it was emulation woes that led to me putting it down. I know that everyone says that the rhythm hit mechanic isn't necessary to beat it, but I just couldn't get any of the dozen different emulators that I tried configured to the point that I could get the timing down, and it drove me absolutely crazy, and I finally just burned out after fighting with settings for a week. If I could play it in English on original hardware with the timing as it was intended, I absolutely would.
Old 06-09-2017, 08:03 AM
Dinger!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rya View Post
What I meant is this:

I assume there's some hidden rule that if you rated a game highest that made it to the top list that you have to contribute something?
Issun sent PMs to some people to contribute their thoughts about games that they rated highly that made the list. If you didn't get a PM, it's nothing to worry about.
Old 06-09-2017, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karzac View Post
If you didn't get a PM, it's nothing to worry about.
Except of course what that would imply! Dang, I should have revised down my predictions for how many of my entries would make it. Maybe like 4 entries instead of 9.
Old 06-09-2017, 08:36 AM
Video Monster

Quote:
Oh, one more tidbit before #50 posts in the AM:

Mother 3 didn't make it, either. 3 votes.
I HAVE FAILED THIS LIST.

Incidentally, it's now pretty easy to find GBA carts flashed with an English translation version. This is how I experienced the game. I recommend it.
Old 06-09-2017, 08:45 AM
Tell me about your mother

Quote:
Oh, one more tidbit before #50 posts in the AM:

Mother 3 didn't make it, either. 3 votes.
I did remember to vote for this one. What's my prize
Old 06-09-2017, 08:46 AM
Man of Tomorrow Afternoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki View Post
There's no criteria past the rules Issun set out and your own personal judgment.

Yeah, I often do one game per series, but not because of a hard and fast personal rule. In many cases, it is simply because I get more out of one of the games, causing the others to falter in my mind, even if they are close in quality. And that usually knocks them off my list for that reason.
Old 06-09-2017, 08:53 AM
Bertolli?!?...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dracula View Post
Incidentally, it's now pretty easy to find GBA carts flashed with an English translation version. This is how I experienced the game. I recommend it.
Holy shit, you're right; I can buy this for $25 CDN on eBay right now. Why haven't I done this already?
Old 06-09-2017, 09:01 AM

Hey guys, I didn't submit a list, but I would like to announce that I'm ready to start thinking about a list.
Old 06-09-2017, 09:03 AM
Bertolli?!?...

Quote:
Holy shit, you're right; I can buy this for $25 CDN on eBay right now. Why haven't I done this already?
And done. Thank you, Dracu-man!
Old 06-09-2017, 09:13 AM
Video Monster

Quote:
This list has already been a success!
Old 06-09-2017, 09:20 AM
Bertolli?!?...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dracula View Post
This list has already been a success!
This is the way!
Old 06-09-2017, 09:24 AM
[kɾoˈxuːɾ]

Quote:
I am pleased you are prepared to rectify your mistakes.

More seriously though, I hope your experience with MOTHER 3 is much more pleasant and enjoyable this time!
Old 06-09-2017, 09:38 AM
#deadfish2017

Yay jbear! I got a gba cart for $70 way back when just for Mother 3 and I've never regretted it.
Old 06-09-2017, 10:17 AM
Cool Bunny

I'm already wishing I'd spent more time on my list. I mostly looked at what I had physical copies of, so downloaded stuff is probably underrepresented on it. Hotline Miami did not occur to me, and Skies I think I dismissed on the assumption that everything dreamcast came out too early. Vagrant Story is definitely better than some of the stuff I voted for. I guess I assumed it didn't need my help.

I liked the rhythm element in Mother 3 as a random bonus I got for mashing buttons. I don't think I ever got above six hits and I gave up on really trying early on. I imagine spending every fight tapping out the maximum extra damage would make the game less enjoyable for me.

Last edited by Yimothy; 06-09-2017 at 10:27 AM.
Old 06-09-2017, 10:25 AM
Bertolli?!?...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yimothy View Post
I liked the rhythm element in Mother 3 as a random bonus I got for mashing buttons. I don't think I ever got above six hits and I gave up on really trying early on. I imagine spending every fight tapping out the maximum extra damage would make the game less enjoyable for me.
My grand total best effort after days upon days of emulator tweaking was: 2.
Old 06-09-2017, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yimothy View Post
I'm already wishing I'd spent more time on my list. I mostly looked at what I had physical copies of, so downloaded stuff is probably underrepresented on it. Hotline Miami did not occur to me, and Skies I think I dismissed on the assumption that everything dreamcast came out too early. Vagrant Story is definitely better than some of the stuff I voted for. I guess I assumed it didn't need my help.

Hmm, so far no games occured to me that would be better than any of those in my top 28. But it's a good idea to keep track of that. If any game makes it to the top 50 which I actually consider better than any of my games, I'll mention and count it.

My main gripe with my list is that it actually contains games I don't actually consider all that good. Maybe I should have just sent a top 16 instead.
I also had a problem with series. I can order how much I liked games from a single series, but putting that sorted list into a list of overall favorite games is hard. Like, I can easily say the best Touhou games are Imperishable Night, Mountain of Faith, Subterrenean Animism and Unidentified Fantastic Object, but deciding if there are any games that say are worse than Mountain of Faith but better than Subterrenean Animism is super hard.

But if you don't do that you just list all the games of a series next to each other, which can potentially take tons of game slots away and hurts versatility.
Old 06-09-2017, 10:50 AM
disguised king of surfing

this whole discussion is baffling

not because there are people who won't play mother 3 unless the timing is perfect

but because there's apparently a timing issue in the first place

i've played through the game twice and never noticed anything being off

weird
Old 06-09-2017, 10:56 AM

I just never even played Mother 3.

Not everybody can have played every game. And it's hard to vote for games you haven't played.
Old 06-09-2017, 11:05 AM
Mr. Autumn Man

Is a lucky rabbit foot really that lucky for the rabbit who lost it?

Developer: Konami
Publisher: Konami
Platforms: Playstation 2
Release: July 11, 2002 (JP), October 24, 2002 (NA)

128 Points, 5 Votes, Highest Rank: #2 (JBear)

Suikoden III is kind of an awkward middle child. It doesn't have the cachet that its two elder siblings have, though it's far more appreciated than any games in the series that followed. That's not to say it's mediocre. Far from it. Suikoden III is easily one of the best JRPGs the PS2 has to offer. You start as any of three characters: Aspiring adventurer Hugo, full-fledged adventurer Geddoe, and the only one that really matters: Chris Lightfellow, Knight of Zexen and all around badass. You eventually play through all their stories (as well as HQ operator Thomas for a bit), and it is here that the games biggest strengths and biggest weaknesses manifest. It's a great idea to be able to switch between characters and get all their stories, but the problem is that there's a fairly limited amount of space in which those stories take place. That means retreading the same ground over and over and over again.

Don't get me wrong, you're walking through some great scenery, but the same four or five locations get old after a while. That said, it still manages to hold its own. The battle system, while not as zippy as the first two, still manages a brisker pace than most JRPGs of the day, and the characters manage to stay interesting, even the most extraneous ones. Besides, between the big reveal of who the "villain" is and the emotional end to his story, and the entire sequence where Chris doffs her armor for traveling garb, a lot of flaws can be forgiven. Plus there's a duck in a military uniform.

Selected Track:
Exceeding Love
Old 06-09-2017, 11:07 AM
Bertolli?!?...

YUS. YUSSSSSSS. I am so happy this made it in. I'll have more to say once I come down.

ETA: Wait, what the shit? How am I not highest? Suikoden III was my #2. If I'd been asked for a blurb, I'd have blurbed all over your inbox. It would have been messy.
Old 06-09-2017, 11:08 AM
Video Monster

Man, I remember the part in this game where...

...um...

...Wait! I haven't played any Suikoden games!?
Old 06-09-2017, 11:11 AM
Mr. Autumn Man

Quote:
ETA: Wait, what the shit? How am I not highest? Suikoden III was my #2.
Honestly I don't know what you're on about it says "#2 JBear" right there!"

(Sorry, I missed that one. Hopefully if I screw up on any others people will correct me as well.)

Edit: Also for the most part I only asked for blurbs for the top 30 because I planned on starting the list so soon I wasn't sure people had time to write anything.
Old 06-09-2017, 11:12 AM
Bertolli?!?...

Quote:
Honestly I don't know what you're on about it says "#2 JBear" right there!"

(Sorry, I missed that one. Hopefully if I screw up on any others people will correct me as well.)
No worries! I was more concerned that perhaps my vote hadn't been counted.
Old 06-09-2017, 11:14 AM
Sudden chomper

JBear, the blurbs are mostly for games in the top 30.

I really wish I could get into Suikoden III, but I think it's 15 years too late for that to happen. I discovered the series late, played the first game in 2008 and the second around 2010. But as old as those first two games are, they are super speedy and contain pixel art that is either masterful or, well, at least pretty interesting. Suiko III is one of the ugliest, slowest 3D games I've ever played and what I saw of the battle system left me feeling very confused. But I've heard tons of great things about the story and I really wish I could find the patience (and free time) to explore that world for 60 hours. Sadly, the last time I could have convinced myself to do that would have been back in my undergrad, and the next time will be when I retire in 25 years.

So I guess what I'm saying is, JBear should do a Let's Play of this game so I can see what the fuss is about.
Old 06-09-2017, 11:16 AM
Man of Tomorrow Afternoon

Suikoden III almost made my list. That was back when I was getting free games for reviews at the university newspaper. I don't remember too much in terms of story of gameplay, but I do remember enjoying collecting all of the characters and stuff.
Old 06-09-2017, 11:18 AM
Outer Spacean

This is on PSN for the PS3, right? Maybe I'll throw some bucks at Sony soon and try it out.
Old 06-09-2017, 11:19 AM
Mr. Autumn Man

Quote:
No worries! I was more concerned that perhaps my vote hadn't been counted.
I entered each list into the spreadsheet individually to make sure that wasn't an issue (because the first time I did it I added the votes from each individual title and ended up missing some so I had to do the entire thing over again and by that point I already had 25 lists, so I learned my lesson on that one).

However, since the "highest rank" slot I only did for the Top 50 once it was finalized, and that by going over each list looking for the highest ranking, it was more likely I'd make mistakes. Thankfully that's a lot easier to fix, so none of you be afraid to point out if I screwed up.
Old 06-09-2017, 11:27 AM
It's all good, man

Quote:
Originally Posted by dosboot View Post
In theory, everything above Skies of Arcadia won't make it!
I love how thoroughly and quickly this theory was obliterated.

Tags
50 games > hotline miami , all games are good , all phones are bad , bae > talking time , democracy was a mistake , falselogic likes to watch , full life consequences , list all the gaems , madhair60 fps , multiple persona disorder , top 50 countdown