The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about other things > Talking about food

Old 08-20-2011, 11:38 PM
Chuck 'im into the soup!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivam View Post
contrary to popular belief, i don't like hot for the sake of hot. if it adds something flavor wise then i'm all for it, otherwise you're just making the act of eating meaninglessly painful.
Or eating for the endorphin rush that comes after something brain-meltingly spicy.

Seriously, people get a buzz off of eating chiles.

But me? Hell, I cut the ribs and seeds out of jalepenos. Eating food that's spicy at all is a Recent Thing, so my tolerance is still pretty low.
Old 08-21-2011, 03:32 AM
:O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazo View Post
A few of my faves:

Sadly, I've had a hard time finding my go-to hot sauce, Frank's Red Hot Chile 'n Lime, in stores lately. It's not crazy spicy, but tastes great on pretty much anything -- tacos, pizza, stews, etc. We're down to our last bottle at home.

I'm also hooked on habanero garlic cloves (awesome in pasta or stir-fry) and Wickles Pickles, which have a sweet heat.
I agree with mazo about everything in this post.
Old 08-29-2013, 01:24 AM
who's she

I am eating jalapeño pizza rolls. I'm not sure if they're delicious or disgusting, but they are definitely hot.
Old 08-29-2013, 12:09 PM
kill

El Yucateco is the sauce to get. It's warm AND super flavorful.

Most every other sauce mentioned (Tabasco, Cholula, etc.) just tastes like vinegar. Sriracha is good though

Also, sometimes I like hot-for-the-sake-of-hot food, just because it opens the sinuses so you can taste other food better.
Old 09-01-2013, 10:32 AM
King Of Space-Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanagi View Post
I am eating jalapeño pizza rolls. I'm not sure if they're delicious or disgusting, but they are definitely hot.
Jalapeño is a capricious ingrediant. The flesh is tasty but if they leave too many seeds it can kill the flavor and get painful quick. Case in point, Red Robin's jalapeño coins.
Old 09-10-2013, 10:52 PM
heh

Ate a wicked rogan josh for lunch today. Was sweating for a good half-hour afterwards.
Old 09-13-2013, 05:49 AM
King Of Space-Time

Sounds tasty!
Old 09-18-2013, 02:35 PM

I put sriracha on a ton of stuff. Someone recently suggested I put sriracha on popcorn. I haven't tried it yet, but I don't doubt it is delicious.

What weird stuff do you put your hot sauce on?
Old 09-18-2013, 02:54 PM
GASP

I forget the brand but I recently found cayenne kettle corn at the local hipster mart. Sweet and hot... so good.

Man, I should get some more of that.
Old 09-18-2013, 02:55 PM
who's she

Taco Bell replaced volcano tacos with doritos tacos. Instead of hot sauce inside the shell, they are now coated in salty powder. Sad face.
Old 10-04-2016, 10:54 AM
We just don't know.

So I've been a Cholula devotee for a decade or more, since discovering it in LA. (Though I pretty much only ever put hot sauce on eggs.) I just needed to post about Cholula Chipotle, which is basically My Sauce of Choice.

So I actually do like Tabasco, but I like tabasco chipotle more. I just like the milder, more flavorful sauce. (I also like Tabasco Green more than base).

Well, Cholula is already better than Tabasco, and their Chipotle is even better than that better.

It's real good, is what I'm saying.

CHOLULA
Old 10-04-2016, 11:00 AM
We just don't know.

Throwing in a note for Wasabi:

When I was living there I noticed that Japanese people, in general, aren't good with spicy food. Like, at all. Japanese curry on mild is often too spicy for them. I mean there's really very little spice in their normal cuisine so yeah, you never get a chance to get used to it, etc. And yet: wasabi. What's up with that? So I asked them.

The response I got from one guy in particular was that wasabi - and ginger! - are more of a *grabs upper bridge of nose and sucks in air* and normal spicy is more of a *sticks out tongue and pants*. Which I interpreted as: it's a very sharp aromatic, not actually spicy. Other comments, plus my own experience, make me think that yeah, wasabi/horseradish is more a high-mouth, nasal "spiciness" as opposed to an actual spicy reaction of capsacin triggering pain receptors on the tongue.

So, that's something to think about.
Old 10-04-2016, 11:39 AM
forbidden noise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul le Fou View Post
So I've been a Cholula devotee for a decade or more, since discovering it in LA. (Though I pretty much only ever put hot sauce on eggs.) I just needed to post about Cholula Chipotle, which is basically My Sauce of Choice.

So I actually do like Tabasco, but I like tabasco chipotle more. I just like the milder, more flavorful sauce. (I also like Tabasco Green more than base).

Well, Cholula is already better than Tabasco, and their Chipotle is even better than that better.

CHOLULA
i had the green for the first time recently and that is a wonderful sauce, especially since the meal i was eating it with had a very nice balance of sweet and savory. i'll definitely have to try this
Old 10-04-2016, 12:23 PM
Not a Beer

Yeah I've always thought that wasabi-spicy was qualitatively a different kind of spicy than Mexican-spicy. I get what he's saying, though it's hard to describe.

Speaking of Tabasco, I now have a handful of what I think are Tabasco peppers, along with some Chile peppers and a habanero, from my local pub's overflowing garden. Gotta figure out what to do with 'em. I've set most of the chiles and some tabascos out on a rack to dry for now, though I put some of the rest in the fridge in case I want to use them fresh in something...
Old 10-04-2016, 04:06 PM
King Of Space-Time

Wasabi and horseradish are flashbang burns compared to jalepeno and chiles which you'll feel for a good long while after you've finished your meal.
Old 10-04-2016, 08:15 PM
Lichotaur

Quote:

CHOLULA
I usually dump a large amount of Cholula in a ramekin to dunk my kalua pork in when I get it at L&L Hawaiian Cafe. It's good stuff.

I haven't tried the chipotle version. I'll see about picking some up in the future.
Old 10-05-2016, 01:54 PM
Good Bee

Quote:

CHOLULA
I agree with all of this. Cholula is the correct sauce to put on breakfast eggs, as well. I specifically recommend the tabasco jalapeno (green) sauce along with a Chipotle burrito (Chipotle is the only place I've seen it, outside of stores), pouring a few drops on between bites. It's good stuff.

Haven't tried Cholula Chipotle before, will keep an eye out.
Old 10-05-2016, 06:50 PM
Safe Space

I can't wait for Count Cholula cereal
Old 10-05-2016, 09:45 PM
????? LV 13 HP 292/

Well... Mole is a thing... So it's plausible? *shrugs so hard he dislocates both shoulders*
Old 10-05-2016, 10:10 PM
We just don't know.

Anyone know of a good mole sauce on the market...?
Old 10-05-2016, 10:48 PM
Oily Butt Thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirin View Post
Speaking of Tabasco, I now have a handful of what I think are Tabasco peppers, along with some Chile peppers and a habanero, from my local pub's overflowing garden. Gotta figure out what to do with 'em. I've set most of the chiles and some tabascos out on a rack to dry for now, though I put some of the rest in the fridge in case I want to use them fresh in something...
Good for dicing up into a larger bowl of pico de gallo, or spicing up a pot of chili.
Old 10-06-2016, 09:27 AM
Not a Beer

Yeah, I think I'm gonna put some in a big crockpot of chili once I'm sure the weather is going to stay cool. Though I just talked to the brewery owner and he said all the peppers they grew turned out hella hot this year, so I may have to watch how much I add...
Old 10-06-2016, 10:20 AM
forbidden noise

Quote:
Anyone know of a good mole sauce on the market...?
apparently the frontera brand has one...which i've never seen or eaten, but all of the other stuff i've had from them is really good
Old 10-06-2016, 11:47 AM
Is there not one thing

My mole resource made a face the one time I brought up jarred mole, so I am not optimistic.
Old 10-06-2016, 11:49 AM
Is there not one thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by krelbel View Post
I agree with all of this. Cholula is the correct sauce to put on breakfast eggs, as well. I specifically recommend the tabasco jalapeno (green) sauce along with a Chipotle burrito (Chipotle is the only place I've seen it, outside of stores), pouring a few drops on between bites. It's good stuff.
On the occasions I allow myself a 970-calorie Chipotle JDAM I use that green nectar as if I were JBear eating a pile of tater tots
Old 10-06-2016, 11:57 AM
Oily Butt Thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ample Vigour View Post
My mole resource made a face the one time I brought up jarred mole, so I am not optimistic.
Fixing your own mole sauce isn't such a crazy kitchen undertaking, anyway. You can do it in a blender and then sock it away for a good while in the fridge.
Old 10-06-2016, 12:59 PM
forbidden noise

i've looked up how to do it and i want to but this is academic for me anyway since my roommate is allergic to chocolate. i don't even care about that otherwise :/
Old 08-08-2017, 10:11 PM
We just don't know.

Quote:

CHOLULA
It didn't take long to dethrone Cholula Chipotle as my sauce of choice, it turns out. In fact, it only lasted one bottle before I found a new reigning champion: Cholula Chili Garlic.

CHOLUUALAULUALUALA
Old 08-09-2017, 07:24 AM

Cholula-li-lu-le-lo
Old 08-09-2017, 10:10 AM
if-then-eels

Quote:
Cholula Chili Garlic
oh fuck, gimme that on a tap

Tags
fire=flames , jalapeño , spicy