The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about music and podcast

Old 07-27-2008, 12:04 PM
and ermine, too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secret Punch View Post
Relatedly: Recently I've been really in the mood for albums where people just go insane on some drums. I'm particularly interested in African/Indian/Middle Eastern stuff but I'm open to any crazy awesome drum records. Suggestions?
I don't have any crazy drum record suggestions, but I have, so far, made a single venture into the world of Afropop.

Orchestra Baobab.

Not crazy, but so good.
Old 07-27-2008, 12:13 PM

The Weakerthans - Reunion Tour The album's been out for ten months, and I'm still addicted to it. The music is great as always, and the lyrics are classic John K. Samson: there's a story about a bus driver that gets choked up driving past his ex-girlfriend's house every hour, a story about a young CEO that loses everything in the dot-com crash, a story about a cat that ran away from home... it's funny where it's romantic, it's romantic where it's sad, and it's heart-breaking where it should be whimsical. The crowning moment, though, is "Sun In An Empty Room", inspired by the Edward Hopper painting and turned into a song about a couple that finally move out of their apartment into a house. These lyrics are just beautiful:

"Take eight minutes and divide/
by ninety million lonely miles/
and watch its shadow cross the floor/
we don't live here anymore"

It's hard enough to avoid clichés in songs, but to come up with something fresh and thoughtful when singing about the sun? I love these guys.
Old 07-27-2008, 12:20 PM
A Love Supreme Dreaming

"Answer Me" by Sharon Jones & The Dap-Kings

Sharon Jones & the Dap-Kings are arguably one of my favorite bands of all time. Only three albums deep and they seem to have captured a sound in soul not seen since the late 60’s/mid 70’s. The key seems to be not only their strict use of instruments and analogue recording equipment from the 70’s, but also their natural understanding of music from that era of funk/soul. I had no idea it was Sharon herself playing the piano on this. One of my favorite songs. No other band cooler than the Dap-Kings.

"Tell Me" is amazing as well.
Old 07-27-2008, 01:14 PM
Standard Issue Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCar View Post
I'm sorry - I think you were looking for the "Guilty Pleasures" thread. It's okay - we all make mistakes.
If enjoying Rush is a crime, then I'm serving a life sentence.
Old 07-27-2008, 01:17 PM
:]

The "Guilty Pleasures" thread now has me listening to the Sonic R soundtrack.
Old 07-27-2008, 04:08 PM
who's she

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCar View Post
Subdivisions? In our Talking Time?

Conform or be cast out!

Seriously though. I love to hate Rush. How could such talented musicians make such consistently bad decisions?
There is a level of badness that only true genius can achieve. See also: Pink Floyd, Ummagumma.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secret Punch View Post
Destro: The new Melvins is awesome. Listen to those fucking drums!

Relatedly: Recently I've been really in the mood for albums where people just go insane on some drums. I'm particularly interested in African/Indian/Middle Eastern stuff but I'm open to any crazy awesome drum records. Suggestions?
Tatoom has some of my favorite drumkit work.
Old 07-27-2008, 05:22 PM

Re: Hella, I think their drumwork is actually really annoying unless I'm in just the right mood. Sure it's insane but without emphasis or negative space it all sounds really samey and dull.

Dizzy's link was more along the lines of what I've been looking for.
Old 07-27-2008, 05:39 PM
Goodbye!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanagi View Post
There is a level of badness that only true genius can achieve. See also: Pink Floyd, Ummagumma.
See - there is a kind of logic here that I almost understand.

And Punch: basically agreed. I don't really listen to Hella, but goddam I'd really like to be able to. But don't discount Don Caballero by association - do check out that song I mentioned.

Ah hell. Here's a link. Bonus: Optimus Prime! Actually, the drumming here is half subdued, but tech as fuck.
Old 07-27-2008, 07:07 PM
I am being eaten?

Listening to Endless Wire. I think it is damn good after you get over the shock that its not "classic" Who and just enjoy the music. The rock opera part is a bit too short but its still fun. I'll take Townshend's music over something from Rent any day.
Old 07-29-2008, 03:33 PM
out of how many points?

Sleepytime Gorilla Museum - My favorite band. Draws from extreme metal, 20th Century avant-guard classical, industrial, and performance art. Uses no synths or samplers for their variety of odd sounds and textures but instead a wide variety of instruments they have built (such as a 7 foot long table mounted bass guitar thing strung with piano strings they play with both mallets and a bow). Very polyrhythmic percussion (they have both a drummer on kit and a percussionist on a wide variety of percussion...things...they have built). As far as the more traditional instruments go the violin is typically just as prominent as the guitar. The lead singer has a tremendously rich, deep, operatic voice. Of Natural History is their best album.

Battles - KCar already recommended Don Caballero so I'll suggest the band former Don Cab guitarist Ian Williams is now in. Weird, wild wonderful math rock, a lot of fun live. Its quite common for members of the band to be playing both a guitar and a keyboard at the same time, tapping a guitar part with the left hand while playing a keyboard part with the right.

Comus - Somewhat proggy folk from the early 70's. The most wonderfully evil sounding folk band I've ever heard, they do folk with the musical and lyrical intensity of metal. Guitars, violin, flute, bass, hand drums (all acoustic but the bass). Their initial album First Utterence is the one to hear and is fantastic, not a bad song on it; the second album is kinda meh (reportedly even the band doesn't care for it).

Also I fully agree with all the love for Joanna Newsom, she played here last year with the Atlanta Symphony and it was such a great show. My favorite response to people who dislike her is <a href="http://www.warrenellis.com/?p=3434">this</a> post on Warren Ellis's blog. I like her voice.
Old 07-29-2008, 09:40 PM
There he is!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquadeo View Post
The Weakerthans - Reunion Tour The album's been out for ten months, and I'm still addicted to it. The music is great as always, and the lyrics are classic John K. Samson: there's a story about a bus driver that gets choked up driving past his ex-girlfriend's house every hour, a story about a young CEO that loses everything in the dot-com crash, a story about a cat that ran away from home... it's funny where it's romantic, it's romantic where it's sad, and it's heart-breaking where it should be whimsical. The crowning moment, though, is "Sun In An Empty Room", inspired by the Edward Hopper painting and turned into a song about a couple that finally move out of their apartment into a house. These lyrics are just beautiful:

"Take eight minutes and divide/
by ninety million lonely miles/
and watch its shadow cross the floor/
we don't live here anymore"

It's hard enough to avoid clichés in songs, but to come up with something fresh and thoughtful when singing about the sun? I love these guys.
Personally, I think Night Windows is the crowning moment on the album, though Sun is definitely a standout. I haven't listened to Reunion Tour as much as any of the past Weakerthans albums, though. For my money, Left and Leaving is still their masterpiece.
Old 07-29-2008, 11:53 PM

I'm listening to Australia (The Live iTunes Session Version) by The Shins, its pretty great and much better than the real version of the song. I got it for free through Apple's facebook promotion they had going on for awhile for the last two years where you won free music downloads for being a member.
Old 07-30-2008, 10:25 AM
A Love Supreme Dreaming

Listening to "The Beautiful Ones" by Prince. Can't get enough of this song.
Old 07-30-2008, 09:50 PM
I am being eaten?

Amazon MP3 store had a $9 album with 39 Chicago tracks.

I'm set for a while.
Old 07-30-2008, 10:33 PM

I was listening to that Paper Planes M.I.A song because of those stupid Pineapple Express ads.
Old 07-31-2008, 12:12 AM
Inherently Stealthy

Recent discoveries:

Abney Park. Particularly "Airship Pirate", but I think I'm going to buy Lost Horizons, and I just don't listen to much music, much less buy it.

Zoe Keating. Alas, I missed her live performance at FOO Camp '08, but she's awesome. She plays the cello and basically plays a stretch of music, then uses foot pedals to loop it, start another track on top, and play into that. The final effect is awesome.
Old 07-31-2008, 05:12 AM
and ermine, too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy View Post
I was listening to that Paper Planes M.I.A song because of those stupid Pineapple Express ads.
All I wanna do is *bang bang bang bang*
and *cha-ching*
and take your money.

On that note, Rump Shaker.
Old 07-31-2008, 05:17 AM
Red Neck

Quote:
I love that song. It's the only hip hop I can stand
Old 07-31-2008, 07:05 AM

Outside of Immortal Technique and Cormega? BLASPHEMY!
Old 07-31-2008, 07:44 AM
and ermine, too

I've got a hard-on for N.E.R.D. - Anti Matter. Sure, everyone (mostly N.E.R.D. themselves) makes a big deal about how genre-transgressive they are, but the rock songs usually come off a bit MOR. This, on the other hand, is pure awesome fuzzbox riffs and cut-up booming DnB drums.

What's this on your iPod? / Tell me what you listenin' to

You, obviously.

Edit: Immortal Technique - Harlem Renaissance

Super Edit: http://pence.muxtape.com/
Because everyone wants listen to music I like! I'd like to see some kind of social networking something-or-other that integrates with muxtape, thereby facilitating Listening Time 2.0!

Last edited by pence; 07-31-2008 at 11:35 AM.
Old 07-31-2008, 11:05 AM
Red Neck

Quote:
Outside of Immortal Technique and Cormega? BLASPHEMY!
I've never heard them, I'll give em a listen
Old 07-31-2008, 01:03 PM

Weezer's album Pinkerton has been getting my attention lately, especially Tired of Sex.
Old 07-31-2008, 01:07 PM

I'm listening to George Carlin's final album, It's Bad For Ya, and it's pretty good. A lot less angry then his last couple, but still a little bit. Oh and the opening is kinda wierd as he talks about removing people from his roladex when they die.
Old 07-31-2008, 11:20 PM
punch a fish, make a wish

I've been listening to this an awful lot and crying because I still have to wait a month for the actual single's release! I need to hear the b-sides god damn it all

also, Dir en grey announced a new album today, along with a preorder-only limited edition $120 five-disc version of said new album. I can't afford that, you jerks! what the hell are you even filling five discs with?
Old 08-02-2008, 05:29 PM
A Love Supreme Dreaming

I've been loving the hell out of The Virgins latest which is absolutely fantastic. The video for "Rich Girls" came out about a week ago. Good stuff.
Old 08-02-2008, 05:46 PM
out of how many points?

Followup to my earlier post:

Sleepytime Gorilla Museum music video

Battles music video

Live footage from the first concert Comus has played in like 30 years. The song starts about 2:50 into it.

Putting aside how much I love their music I think both the SGM and Battles vids are fantastic for the visual delights alone. Also I would love to see Battle score a 2d side scrolling game.

Last edited by ravinoff; 08-02-2008 at 08:31 PM.
Old 08-02-2008, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by standing8 View Post
I've been loving the hell out of The Virgins latest which is absolutely fantastic. Good stuff.
Old 08-07-2008, 04:44 PM
Sung Tongs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanagi View Post
Hey budd-ay, fuck you, I liked Ummagumma. Yes, the studio bits as well.

Just bought 3 records today.

Guided By Voices-Propeller: While I have neither the time nor the money to listen to everything Robert Pollard has ever recorded, it's a guarantee that everything you get from him will have at least one song that sticks in your head for days. Propeller comes before the band's "classic" mid 90s era, which saw them release the masterpieces Bee Thousand and Alien Lanes. Anyway, Propeller is really awesome, a good old fashioned rock album that sounds like a bunch of ex-school teachers drinking heavily, getting stoned, and trying to be The Who. Which it is. On a side note, 'Exit Flagger' is ridiculously catchy.

Panda Bear- Person Pitch: Imagine Beach Boys-style vocal harmonies set to electronic loops, samples, and hypnotic drum beats, and you've pretty much got the recipe for Person Pitch. Most things being more than the sum of their descriptions, though, let me state forthwith that the Animal Collective released my favorite album of 2007 but this, a solo album from a band member from last year as well, is just as good for entirely different reasons.

No Age- Nouns: 2008 is slowly becoming the year when noise rock comes to roost. I didn't think nearly as much of that Times New Viking album as everyone else, but the No Age album is, in the parlance of our times, right corkin'. Noisy but never in an "unbearable walls of feedback" kind of way, Nouns is a great mid-afternoon album, all hazy guitars, dreamy instrumentals, and surprisingly decent songwriting. Not so much shoegazer as wall-gazer. Noise rock that's more "rock" than "noise", etc.
Old 08-07-2008, 05:08 PM
out of how many points?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrambledGregs View Post
Hey budd-ay, fuck you, I liked Ummagumma. Yes, the studio bits as well.

Panda Bear- Person Pitch: Imagine Beach Boys-style vocal harmonies set to electronic loops, samples, and hypnotic drum beats, and you've pretty much got the recipe for Person Pitch. Most things being more than the sum of their descriptions, though, let me state forthwith that the Animal Collective released my favorite album of 2007 but this, a solo album from a band member from last year as well, is just as good for entirely different reasons.
I too like Ummagumma, certainly not one of my favorite Floyd albums but its good.

Panda Bear's Person Pitch is fantastic, I liked it better than Animal Collective's Strawberry Jam (which overall I didn't care for) but not as much as Sung Tongs or Feels.
Old 08-08-2008, 01:34 AM
23 ski-dook

I'm always currently listening to Random Spirit Lover from Sunset Rubdown and We Were Dead Before the Ship Even Sank by Modest Mouse. Those two are probably my favorite albums of all time; Random Spirit Lover's songs are just so incredibly awesome and there's some nice piano in it as well . WWDBTSES just feels nautical to me with all the brass and "Spitting Venom" has some of the best, if minimal, trumpet toots in a song that I've heard.

Oh, also listening to At Mount Zoomer by Wolf Parade. "Kissing the Beehive" is like, 10 minutes long and an awesome finale to a great album.

Tags
aural addiction , deals , headphone drama , italo disco , recommendations